PDA

View Full Version : Bike Riding Virgin

Eurygnomes
14th June 2005, 10:01
EEEK! So I've been lurking here a bit - keeping an eye on things - and I've just signed up to do my basic handling skills course thingy. I've had a full cage (oooh - terminology) license for multiple years and I don't think I have too many demerit points, and I'm over 25, so I thought I might also see if I can fast-track my full license so that when I hit UK shores in 14 weeks time, I'm bike ready!

So. A few questions to all those old, cold hands out there.

a) No, not the 'what bike should I get' question - I'm not stupid - I'm gonna try to test loads and see whether I prefer a commuter position or a sports one.
More: what do you LOOK for in a second hand bike? I'm thinking 'things that have gone wrong'. You know, when you look at a car you have a view along the body to see if the chassis is skewed etc. That sort of thing.

b) Which fall is easier to deal with (ie. fewer bumps/scrapes/deaths): low-siding or high-siding (I'm not sure - can you describe either?).

c) What is the MINIMUM you'd wear for wet weather commuting (Wellington-Porirua each day)?

d) Have any of you done the CBTA thing with Roadsafe in Wellington? What are the people like? (You speak of John Wright in AKL, I want a similar 'headsup' please)

e) How many of you resent the CBTA 'fast track' thing? Or do you think it's a valid method for obtaining the ability to ride bigger bikes?

f) people speak of 'power to get out of trouble'. Could you provide an example of when one woudl need such 'power'?

g) general reassurance please. My whole family (except me) rides, and the only reason I didn't till now is a overprotective boyfriend. First, dump the guy, second, attempt to cheat death!

Ta muchly,
Nomes

vifferman
14th June 2005, 10:14
More: what do you LOOK for in a second hand bike? I'm thinking 'things that have gone wrong'. You know, when you look at a car you have a view along the body to see if the chassis is skewed etc. That sort of thing.
Evidence of bentness, or anything that looks too new, and might be covering up bentness from an accident. It's not necessarily bad that a bike has been crashed, as long as it's been repaired properly and isn't crooked.
The other things are excessive wear'n'tear, or things that made end up being a big problem and/or cost heaps to fix.
It's probably not worthwhile expanding on this for you as a newbie - the best idea is for you to get a pre-purchase check done on your potential buy, by someone knowledgeable or a shop, as there'd be too many things for you to be aware of / check up on.

b) Which fall is easier to deal with (ie. fewer bumps/scrapes/deaths): low-siding or high-siding (I'm not sure - can you describe either?).
Lowsiding, assuming you've got decent gear on AND nothing else happens (like sliding into a kerb/car/tree/post/den of lions/vat of acid). :eek:
Low-siding is when your front wheel loses grip (braking hard or cornering) and the bike lies down. Highsiding is (generally) where the back tyre loses grip when cornering, then regains it abruptly (usually when you panic and snap the throttle shut). This has the effect of catapulting you off the bike, so you hit the ground harder.

f) people speak of 'power to get out of trouble'. Could you provide an example of when one woudl need such 'power'?
Only if you're about to be crunched, and can accelerate out of the way.
Doesn't happen too often, especially if you're being a Lert and keeping an eye open for hazards. I can think of only one occasion when it's happend to me - the first day commuting in D'Auckland, when I wasn't as sharp to the dangers as I could've been, and had to accelerate because a bus was about to squish me against a car. If I'd been "on to it", I wouldn't have put myself in that position.

Oh - and welcome to the KiwiBiker gargre, Nomes! :spudwave:
Hope you will enjoy your new biking experience. :niceone:

Oakie
14th June 2005, 10:41
a) what do you LOOK for in a second hand bike? I'm thinking 'things that have gone wrong'. You know, when you look at a car you have a view along the body to see if the chassis is skewed etc. That sort of thing.

c) What is the MINIMUM you'd wear for wet weather commuting (Wellington-Porirua each day)?

g) general reassurance please. My whole family (except me) rides, and the only reason I didn't till now is a overprotective boyfriend. First, dump the guy, second, attempt to cheat death!

Ta muchly,
Nomes

Hi and welcome.
A) I look for general tidiness and nothing loose. If the owner has neglected the easy stuff then the harder and more important stuff has probably been neglected too. I check under the exhaust pipe for signs of rust. Being able to stick my finger through a pipe is not a good thing. Also like to check how it starts from cold (so just turn up when they're not expecting you so they haven't had the bike warming up for 10 minutes). You'll need to take the bike on the road to find out how straight it is (the bike ... not the road). Find a set of left and right turns and if it feels different depending on which way you turn that'll be a clue. When you find the bike of your dreams ... or the one you can afford ... get back to us here and ask if there is anything in particular to look for on that model. There's a lot of collective wisdom and experience here as I've found to my benefit.

C) Minimum wet weather gear depends on how heavy the rain is and far you're going. I've got a waterproof PVC jacket that goes over my normal jacket (second hand for $15!), normal leggings (remember to sit down when you're trying new ones on to get the right fit) and some boots (but not proper bike boots yet).

F) 'Power to get out of trouble' for me is about acceleration, not top speed. If some fool is heading at you it's sometimes easier to speed up and go around the front of them than to brake so they pass in front of you.

G) You'll be fine. Just don't trust any other road users to do what they're supposed to do because they don't, and just ride within the limits of your skill and your bike's ability.

Lou Girardin
14th June 2005, 10:46
Dump the boyfriend and buy a bike?
I think you'll fit in just nicely.
For riding gear, check with local bike shops. They sometimes do starter kits for newbies at a good price. Try not to scrimp, spend as much as you can on quality gear, you won't regret it.

Slingshot
14th June 2005, 10:54
EEEK! So I've been lurking here a bit - keeping an eye on things - and I've just signed up to do my basic handling skills course thingy. I've had a full cage (oooh - terminology) license for multiple years and I don't think I have too many demerit points, and I'm over 25, so I thought I might also see if I can fast-track my full license so that when I hit UK shores in 14 weeks time, I'm bike ready!

So. A few questions to all those old, cold hands out there.

a) No, not the 'what bike should I get' question - I'm not stupid - I'm gonna try to test loads and see whether I prefer a commuter position or a sports one.

d) Have any of you done the CBTA thing with Roadsafe in Wellington? What are the people like? (You speak of John Wright in AKL, I want a similar 'headsup' please)

e) How many of you resent the CBTA 'fast track' thing? Or do you think it's a valid method for obtaining the ability to ride bigger bikes?

Ta muchly,
Nomes

Welcome...

C. I come in from Newlands so I'm not coming quite as far as you. You want to look for something fairly waterproof and safe. For example...a car:rofl: .

Make sure you set aside some funds to buy some protective gear, I would suggest an armoured jacket, pants, boots and gloves. Normally this stuff is fairly waterproof but if you're riding in rain...expect to get wet (the water tends to collect in the crouch area and soak through). It might be a good idea to leave a change of clothes at work.

D. My borther in law did it, he thought it was bloody good.

E. As long as you know your limitations it's all good, ie. if you completed the course and then went out and brought a new litre bike thinking you'd be able to ride like Rossie you'd be on borrowed time.

F. That swings both ways. The power can also get you into trouble. Generally speaking with more powerful bike, the brakes are better too so you get the whole package.

G. You'll be fine. I would suggest that you get along to some KiwiBiker rides, you'll learn a huge amount riding with others.

Str8 Jacket
14th June 2005, 11:05

Ta muchly,
Nomes

Heya,
I did my CBTA with Andre Templeton (Roadsafe) about a month or so ago. I would definately recommend Roadsafe to anyone. Andrew is extremely good at what he does and really helped me get through the course. I can assure you though, that it is NOT easy. Andrew will help you get through it though. I had him screaming at the top of his lungs things like "relax, lock your knees, etc etc" sounds kinda harsh, but it sure helped me!! Also dont speed or go any higher than 2nd gear, he kinda gets mad at that.
Also seeing as you are over 25 and (im assuming) that you've got a full D/L you can fast track to your full licence in no time through Roadsafe. Basically all you have to do is complete the basic handling, pass your scratchy test and get your learners, then from what I remember you can do your restricted through him almost immeadiately, then just as fast your Full. However I do remember him saying that he may not be able to do this for much longer, cant remember why though sorry!!
Also bikewise, I decided on a GN250, as it has no fairings to f*ck up and is cheap cheap cheap, so when I get my full then I will spend the $$. I did try a few other bikes but to be honest this was the most comfortable for me, and by far the cheapest!!
Anyway, good luck I hope you manange to get everything sorted!

bear
14th June 2005, 11:19
...d) Have any of you done the CBTA thing with Roadsafe in Wellington? What are the people like? (You speak of John Wright in AKL, I want a similar 'headsup' please)...

Didn't do the CBTA, but did do a course with Roadsafe with Andrew and found it to be great. He's a great tutor and easy to get on with.

Eurygnomes
14th June 2005, 12:08
Hey Str8J, I'm too much like GirlyGirl (Am a glamcat who wants a nice sporty style bike), but am too practical (*sigh* will pass on the attractive fairings since they're gonna get ripped the first, second and third time I go down) to get the bike I REALLY like the look of.

So...you may just find me on a GN250 in the near future *sob*. And I'm SOOO chuffed that loads of you have taken the time to reply to what must be somewhat standard questions. I can't wait to go on a ride with some of you lot...I know I'll have lots to learn (somewhere at the back of the pack)!

Ixion
14th June 2005, 12:31

So...you may just find me on a GN250 in the near future *sob*. ..

Hey, it's all good. A real biker has fun on ANY bike. (Look at Mr Stonechucker - he's having as much fun on his "new" 100cc as on his R1). :2thumbsup

And even Mr WINJA has a 50cc Street Magic I believe. And I'm sure he has fun on it. Probably not in ways that any sane person would wish to emulate, but chacun a son gout :devil2: .

You'll have a ball with a Gn250. :ride: :ride: :yes:

And welcome, from Nana

Just remember, keep the black squishy bits down, pink squishy bits up, always. :niceone:

Str8 Jacket
14th June 2005, 12:34
Hey Str8J, I'm too much like GirlyGirl (Am a glamcat who wants a nice sporty style bike), but am too practical (*sigh* will pass on the attractive fairings since they're gonna get ripped the first, second and third time I go down) to get the bike I REALLY like the look of.

So...you may just find me on a GN250 in the near future *sob*. And I'm SOOO chuffed that loads of you have taken the time to reply to what must be somewhat standard questions. I can't wait to go on a ride with some of you lot...I know I'll have lots to learn (somewhere at the back of the pack)!

:rofl: Hey dude, im (apparently) the tomboy form 'Nam, and I really really really wanted a sports bike, however I think practicality MUST come before anything else. I know that im gonna have a few offs, maybe lots and I dont wanna have to worry about f*cking up my "thousands of $$ more than I could afford" bike everytime I get out on the road!!
Basically you need to start somewhere, and when your more confident, get that sports bike you always wanted - that's what im gonna do! :ride:

Sparky Bills
14th June 2005, 12:36
I did the CBTA, It was great that I could get on a bigger bike (legally),
Well worth doing. :niceone:

Sorry, dont have time to write too much more.

_Gina_
14th June 2005, 13:07
Hiya Eurygnomes!

I have decided to go for a compromise of a bike - 2004 GSX250. Guy in Palmy is selling one for $3900.00 which I like the look of, he has stripped the stickers off it and put a wider profile tyre on the rear and it looks pretty cool :yes:

I kinda started thinking about the whole "but it doesn't have as much power as a Bandit (for example)", but at the end of the day it is a learner bike, and gee if you apply yourself in the whole learning thing then I have no doubt you can get the GSX moving along!!! For me it's about the style of bike I will be wanting to ride once I am on full licence, which is definitely sports. So no use learning on a more upright bike even if it has more power.....

There is also the economics of it - The Bandit was sec hand imported (no history available) born in 1999 (6 yrs old, no warranty) and basically the same money.

Anyways, that's my five cents worth....for what it's worth (five cents last time I looked....:whistle: )

Let me know what you decide - will be interested to hear!!!

sels1
14th June 2005, 13:26

Ta muchly,
Nomes

Welcome aboard the site Eurygnomes. Be generally reassured you made the right choice re b/f vs bike! Well done. Any of your family on here?

Slingshot
14th June 2005, 13:51

Although it's great to think that you will come off, it may not happen. I haven't had a bin in the couple of years that I've been riding....yet. The trick is balancing that nagging fear of binning, you'll learn nothing if you let that fear take complete control and you might as well ride a scooter. On the other hand, it's that level of fear that keeps you from pushing the envelope too far.

I would suggest getting a bike that you're comfortable on and that you like the look of. Don't worry if you come off and break the fairings (they can be repaired or replaced), so long as you get through unscathed then all is good.

What do the rest of your family ride?

Jeremy
14th June 2005, 14:13

John Wright does CBTA? Didn't know that, suppose I should get around to giving him a ring sometime.

Eurygnomes
14th June 2005, 14:20
Good point Slingshot! My father rides a *cough mumble* (I dunno) and my brother a Ninja600. I really like his bike. I dont' like Dad's one (more of the commuter style...I should attempt to find out but since it rarely goes, there's little point).

Both have come off theirs (different bikes) and have impressed upon me their war wounds (brother had to have his entire thumb reconstructed...) but I figure that since I already know injury (reconstructed ACL) then I'm aware of the risks. And the reason I figure I WILL bin (ooh..see how quickly I learn?) is that I've inherited the same "I'm fairly certain I can...um...uhoh...maybe noooooooottt" gene that they've got.

Rest of famdamily is in New Plymouth and Ipswich (UK). Not on the forum as far as I know *looks around guiltily*...Dad? Is that you?

But you're right about using the fear to protect. I'm fairly sensible most of the time...but in a Skyline that goes like the clappers, I have been known to take someone on. So I'm not sure what I'll be like when I'm riding Streethawk!

Have seen some nice looking ZXR's...they seem to be my favoured (over the bandit and the VTR at present). But price/condition/looks/comfort/practicableness all have to balance - and that's hard! :)

Paul in NZ
14th June 2005, 14:56
I'm too lazy to read all the posts but...

How tall are you? It makes a difference as to what is suitable!

Eurygnomes
14th June 2005, 16:18
I'm 173cm with long legs (apparently). I shouldn't have a problem. Now, the weirdest thing is that there's a 4month old GN250 for sale in Whangerei apparently - FOR $1995!!!!?
http://www.buy-sell-exchange.co.nz/Main/ListDisplayItem.aspx?onlineadvert_id=1181679

Although I want a sports bike, I'm happy to NOT have one for 12 weeks before I leave NZ! :) ANd this SHOULD have good resale value right? Comments appreciated!

Ixion
14th June 2005, 16:32
I'm 173cm with long legs (apparently). I shouldn't have a problem. Now, the weirdest thing is that there's a 4month old GN250 for sale in Whangerei apparently - FOR $1995!!!!?
http://www.buy-sell-exchange.co.nz/Main/ListDisplayItem.aspx?onlineadvert_id=1181679

Although I want a sports bike, I'm happy to NOT have one for 12 weeks before I leave NZ! :) ANd this SHOULD have good resale value right? Comments appreciated!

Sounds very cheap. They are $3000 odd new, so someone's perpared to take a $1000 hit for 4 months . Still might be the case if the need to cash up quick

You should be easy able to sell ti for that much or more. They have gfood resale value, always in demand

XP@
14th June 2005, 16:34

Ta muchly,
Nomes
Hi,
I do whitby / welly every day :devil2:

You say you are off to the UK? check it out but i am not sure if you can ride on a new kiwi licence over there, you may have had to have been riding a couple of years...?

a) Used Motorcycle Buying Guide (http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html)
c) Spool do a reasonable price and jacket and pants worth considering, a good helmet, boots and gloves. If your boots are not waterproof then get some overboots, ditto with the gloves.
d) Andrew is very good, nice chap too. Have had an advanced lesson from him and watched him do a few beginners lessons.
f) You should have enough power to keep up and pass traffic so if your bike only does 70 and you are on the motorway, you will be in trouble. (yup, i know the law). The time when you probably need the power is if you pull out and realise the car/truck is going faster than you thought so being able to do 70 NOW is a good thing... but most 250's have enough uuumph to survive
g) Biking is FUN! Stay safe by learning more everytime you go out.

Bike suggestions... 250cc dual purpose (off road type) why?
1. wide handle bars make turning easy.
2. Quick off the mark.
3. hides the bumps on NZ roads.
4. high up riding position makes you visible and you can see over cars.
5. they are designed to be dropped.
6. you don't have to stop when the road does.
7. if you want to ride up on to the pavement you can.
8. a heavy right wrist will not destroy your licence.
9. easy to maintain
10. They are fun

stify
14th June 2005, 17:31
I'm too much like GirlyGirl (Am a glamcat who wants a nice sporty style bike)

SITE GLAMCAT

dats as good as a nomination for girlygirl,any one guna second it? :yes: :no:

Slingshot
14th June 2005, 17:51

It sounds like you're looking for a new B/F:whistle:.

Are you leaving NZ for good or are you coming back?

PS...I'm happily married, I was just making an observation:yes:

Slingshot
14th June 2005, 17:54
SITE GLAMCAT

dats as good as a nomination for girlygirl,any one guna second it? :yes: :no:

I'd say it would take more than an off-the-cuff comment like that. When she starts complaining about helmet hair then possibly:rofl:

XTC
14th June 2005, 17:54
Mmmm bike riding virgins...... :o oops did I say that out loud?? :spudwhat:
Welcome.

zeRax
14th June 2005, 19:08
I CAME AS SOON AS I SAW THE TOPIC
it is uncanny, asleep dreaming about it, wake up and look at kb, thought my dreams had been answered.

Thought/think had/have How you doin? ;)
Welcome to KB ladies ;D wooooohooooo

Eurygnomes
15th June 2005, 10:12
I'm in luck re the helmet hair - my hair's already dead straight...so it's not gonna look 'squashed'. The main thing I worry about is where I"m gonna put my high heels when I'm on a bike! :)

I'll be leaving NZ for good. And according to Andrew at Roadsafe, I can ride on my NZ full (after doing the CBTA) for a year in the UK and then sit a UK road test to get my UK full. A heck of a lot less expensive and time consuming than getting my learners/restricted/full over there (they don't recognise the NZ learners - PLUS you can only ride a 125 on an L-plate there!).

Have conflicting advice from two older riders: one says I should go with the GN250 for sale (after popping down to Wellington Mcycles to see what the riding position is and whether I can stand it) because the guys taken a $1500 (inc reg) depreciation hit on a 4month old bike, and another says 'fairings are easier to fix than casings'...referring to waht will scrape across the ground when I come off it.

ARGH!!! I'm tempted to take my dad's advice (GN250) but he's the one who got me into this whole science mess to start off with - so it's been 'dubious' before...? And I know you've all got your own opinions (I've read most of the threads already) so I guess it's up to me...but...ARGH! Big decision for big $$. I suppose if I bought a 4-month old GN250 for 1995 - I could always resell it (in 14 weeks I'm hoping the weather is nice enough to bring more learners out of hte woodwork).

Ta anyways,
Nomes

P.S. Esp tx to Xp@ (nice moniker!), for the advice on gears.

ManDownUnder
15th June 2005, 10:34

Ta muchly,
Nomes

a-f... my suggestion is paysomeone with trained eyes to look over it. WT is someone that comes to mind, and no doubt there are others in here that'd help. Check steering head bearings, brakes, etc etc etc. I've got no doubt you'll get plenty of good advice in here, but what'll take you 2 hours to check, someone with trained eyes will spot (or derive) in minutes.

Maybe payment in beer?

If you buy from a shop, tell them you're not 100% sure of what you're looking at and you'd like to be able to bring the bike back to be fixed free if anything shows up in the next 2 months.

As for (g). We all need to live our own lives, and while it's nice that b/f is concerned, it's still your final decision, and you may need to agree to disagree on that one.

Not worth breaking up over, unless the bike thing is indicative of a bigger, looming problem...

Councelling hat off...

Welcome aboard!
MDU

Eurygnomes
15th June 2005, 11:05
Oh gosh, I certainly didn't break up with anyone just so I could ride bikes...I'm not THAT loopy (statement subject to extreme bias!)! Nah...it's more of a "well, since no one is going to be paranoid each time I leave the house now, I may as well learn to ride a bike!" thing - promise. But ta for the counselling. :)

(and "hi fellas" to ZeRax & XTC! I was hoping the topic thread name would get me some reads!)

Off now to see if there's anything about transportation for bikes anywhere. Am already feeling nervous about the idea of driving a bike from AKL - WLTN on my 'first' bloody open road drive! However, if I do fix a date to pick it up, how about we do a Kiwibikers relay? (she says, with a GIANT L-plate strapped to the bike)

XP@
15th June 2005, 12:59
Oi!

you are doing this all wrong!

You should not be going to the UK, especially "for good" that is from where I cometh... If you are going to live anywhere then your decision should be based soley on the appropriateness of the roads for riding! eg living in Porrirua you are 20mins (sub 18mins if really trying) from work and 5 mins from piecock hill.

Cancel that ticket and STAY HERE!

ok, ok, so you have made up your mind....
when you get there, go here http://www.visordown.com/forums/
Like here there is a lot of excellent knowlege and help avalible.

If you are heading home on a new bike then, if I'm in town could probably help .

Gremlin
15th June 2005, 14:10
Oh gosh, I certainly didn't break up with anyone just so I could ride bikes...I'm not THAT loopy (statement subject to extreme bias!)!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You get riding, and I bet your position on that will change... I know guys that are happy to admit that they have told their g/f that they come after the bike(s)

Freight for bikes (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=10904&highlight=transport+bike) might have some info, if not, just do a search.

Oakie
15th June 2005, 16:31
GN250 at that price sounds good as you won't take too much of a hit yourself when it comes time to sell it. Nice easy bike to ride to learn on ... and if you're only here for another 3 months, learning is all you'll be doing ... everytime you go out on the road. Makes sense to make it easy on yourself and I don't think that you'll start yearning for more power in that period so it's probably an ideal position to be in. 3 months on a gentle bike will give you a good feel for what you want 'over there'.
Umm, fairings are easier to fix than casings? Depends how much fairing you're talking about ... depends how much casing you're talking about ... and bear in mind that depending on how you drop a faired bike, the fairings won't necessarily protect the casings so you might be up for the expense of both.

Keystone19
15th June 2005, 20:56
I picked up my bike in Wanganui and drove it to Auckland 1 week after I got my learners. The advice I was given was not to drive at 70 on the open road unless I had a death wish (from a very reputable instructor too I might add). I drove at the speed of the surrounding traffic (give or take a few k). It was a damn fine way to get some confidence about the bike quickly. I took an experienced rider with me and he stuck with me the whole way (much to his credit given that he was on a VTR1000! There was definitely the odd wheelie happening when he got really bored!). I'd say go for it, enjoy it and take someone with you.

monkey99
24th June 2005, 14:41
Just be careful Girlygirl I have a friend who bought that model recently....great bike but 2nd hand is usually cos they are a bit Asthmatic ; ) or have factory born niggles

monkey99
24th June 2005, 15:08
Have conflicting advice from two older riders: one says I should go with the GN250 for sale (after popping down to Wellington Mcycles to see what the riding position is and whether I can stand it) because the guys taken a $1500 (inc reg) depreciation hit on a 4month old bike, and another says 'fairings are easier to fix than casings'...referring to waht will scrape across the ground when I come off it.

ARGH!!! I'm tempted to take my dad's advice (GN250) but he's the one who got me into this whole science mess to start off with
P.S. Esp tx to Xp@ (nice moniker!), for the advice on gears.

All I can say is you are going to the UK...money that you have now is worth 1/3rd over there...sooooo get the course done first and foremost..get the full L, then buy a good clean cheap bike..what eva brand/CC size so you can just keep in practice!! :yes: :yes: However you said you are going soon ...so how would you get all the license stuff done inside 12 weeks if you are leaving soon???

BTW blonde or Brunnette?? :love:

surfchick
24th June 2005, 15:26
i'm not so sure you need to buy the bike thinking of costs when you bail off it. lots of the girls i know heven't had a (big) spill yet- think girls are a bit more mello- might depend on your personality a bit- how much of a crazy sped junkie you are... just buy something, point forward and hit go.... :devil2:

surfchick
24th June 2005, 15:27
bugga just realised you already got yo wheels aint ya?

ManDownUnder
24th June 2005, 16:56
bugga just realised you already got yo wheels aint ya?

:rofl: Wanna change feet - I can help ...:rofl:

Eurygnomes
27th June 2005, 10:08
Okay...the bike is apparently in Hamilton - ready to be tied down and brought to Wellington on Thurs/Fri! I'm SOOO excited. It's the GN250 - and the Whangerei Suzuki guys had a look for me and stated that it was in good nick - so we're all go (soon!!!!).

Hey Monkey99: Brunette. Definitely. With Pink aspirations! ;)

The learner
27th June 2005, 11:34
Hi, I'm fairly new to this site and have not posted a message on here before. So here goes my questin.
I used to ride my boyfriends (now ex boyfriend) Kawaski bike. I'm still on my learners had wanted to sit my restricted for the last couple of months. Seems I don't have a bike, where would be the best place to buy a second hand one and what type of bike would be the best for someone still learning. I know i can only still have a 250cc

Eurygnomes
27th June 2005, 11:52
Hey Learner. Everyone has opinions on the best bike to get...there are loads of threads on that topic. Ranges from sporty models - naked bikes (like the GN250 that I've purchased). Let me know when you get one, maybe we could set up a ride down here for 250's - like PlacidFemme is setting up in Auckland. I need as much road practise as possible! :)

The learner
27th June 2005, 21:29
Awesome, thanks for the info. Not a problem. I'll let you know when I get one. My be the end of the year yet as I'm off to Rarotonga shortly for a holiday