PDA

View Full Version : 7" Apad. Is it worth getting?

Conquiztador
4th December 2010, 12:25
I can get these thingies for $129+GST and am contemplating them as a Xmas gift to some of my boys who are tech savvy.

I had a look on the net and watched videos re them including some comparison to others. Sounds like they are good value for money.

But what are they for? Yes I know what they can be used for (vidoes, music, browsing etc). But how usable are they actually?

Appreciate some feedback/more info/opinions cheers.

Here one add: http://www.bluewheel.co.nz/index.php?t=p&p=25101

Gubb
4th December 2010, 12:34
Is it a crappy Chinese iPad ripoff?

Conquiztador
4th December 2010, 12:41
Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH4EtoeS5Kg

KiWiP
4th December 2010, 13:49
I can get these thingies for $129+GST

Can 'we' get them for that price?

Is it a crappy Chinese iPad ripoff?

You sound like those in the seventies talking about crappy jap imports that (almost?) killed the European bike manufacturers .

Reviews look good and an affordable alternative to the iPad bit difficult to know the apps but Android is building a market fast and wouldn't be at all surprised if they take over from Apple in the next year.

One thing I found was to be aware to get it setup in English as it can be confusing to set it yourself.

$129 got to be worth it

pzkpfw
4th December 2010, 14:51
What's the screen resolution?

My netbook is "HD Ready" with a 768 vertical resolution.

My Wifes' is 600 vertical and I can't stand using it for any kind of web use.

168 doesn't sound like much less, but it seems to make a difference.

...but it would depend, I suppose, on what you'd/they'd be doing with it.

(That pad does seem a good price, though. About half the price of the cheapest Netbook I've seen in the shops.)

Motu
4th December 2010, 15:03
We demoed a scanner (car) using one these a few months ago and was very impressed.It was windows based and so easy to use,could be rotated etc,and was wireless.Far better than the other options of a PDA or laptop for the same application....and I think it was only about $1,000 extra for the tablet.We got something else cheaper to do a better job,but the tablet was kick arse for our use.

Conquiztador
4th December 2010, 17:21
Can 'we' get them for that price?

$129 got to be worth it

Here: http://client.minervamail.com/images/pbtech/index_08.gif

http://client.minervamail.com/images/pbtech/03-12-10.gif

Gubb
4th December 2010, 20:27
You sound like those in the seventies talking about crappy jap imports that (almost?) killed the European bike manufacturers .
Sorry, I wasn't around in the 70's, and in my line of work, I get all sorts of tablets coming across my workspace, and have every right to be weary of something trying to pass itself off as an imitation of something else, for a tiny fraction of the price.

If you really want an alternative to the iPad, look at the new Samsung equivilent.

Gremlin
5th December 2010, 00:01
The first question to ever ask is: what do you want to do?

Then find the product most suitable for those needs.

KiWiP
5th December 2010, 00:06
Sorry, I wasn't around in the 70's, and in my line of work, I get all sorts of tablets coming across my workspace, and have every right to be weary of something trying to pass itself off as an imitation of something else, for a tiny fraction of the price.

If you really want an alternative to the iPad, look at the new Samsung equivilent.

Weary? "oh my god I'm so tired"... OK you get all sorts of tablets but can you name one that gets the favorable reviews that this one gets for the price. The Samsung equivalent is twice the price of the APad.

The guy is asking for info as to whether it is worth the money. I say at $129 it is. Is it as good as an iPad or a Samsung equivalent probably not but it is cheaper.

Brian d marge
5th December 2010, 00:26
I looked at those

Battery life was crap , processor wasnt up to much and its a Chinese rip off

but for 100 buck who cares

next time one of my customers actually ponys up some cash I ll buy one !

Cheap as

may be useful for something

on saying that I do need to upgrade my workshop computer

3 days to run a a script ,,,,,, u have to be kidding me !!!

Stephen

Gubb
5th December 2010, 20:33
The guy is asking for info as to whether it is worth the money. I say at $129 it is. Is it as good as an iPad or a Samsung equivalent probably not but it is cheaper.

If a job's worth doing, it's wprth doing right.

Same goes for anything. If it does what you need it to do, awesome, but if you have certain specific tasks in mind, quite often you are better off paying a bit extra for a reliable product from someone you know will be around in 6 months time to take care of any potential problems.

I do assume you ride a Lifan or Zongshen along with that Katanasaurus Rex then?

KiWiP
5th December 2010, 22:28
If a job's worth doing, it's wprth doing right.Irony is a bitch!

If it does what you need it to do, awesome, That's all I'm saying

but if you have certain specific tasks in mind, quite often you are better off paying a bit extra Again this is just what I am saying I'm pretty sure this guys son wants to send emails, run itunes and download artistic photography. He is not going to be setting up a major hub to control the nuclear capability of a new islamic nation (or is he? :shit:)

for a reliable product from someone you know will be around in 6 months time to take care of any potential problems.
Like all computers, mobile phones, network systems, any first release of a microsoft product ever, etc. etc. are. DUPED (http://www.hardinsoftwaretesting.com/?p=207) You obviously work in technology so know that that statement is pure crap. If you work in the industry you are continually being bitten by products that are released to market too soon. $150 all from PB who are a reliable techno partner (no I don't work for them) It will have a regular warranty, it will be honoured if it sets the cat on fire.

I do assume you ride a Lifan or Zongshen along with that Katanasaurus Rex then?
Like you ride a Hayabusa instead of a GSX400 or a NCR M16 instead of a Striple? We ride to our pockets.

p.s. please don't refer to Katie as a Katanasaurus rex. I like to get my leg over a mature lady with curves, not a scalley dinosaur.

Conquiztador
5th December 2010, 22:43
Well see... I have purchased stuff from them before and they have always been very good to deal with, so I know that pb is cool. And re my kids, they have been using puters for a few years and at times I need their help to sort stuff out (as you do) that youth understands better than me.

This was not re having a "need" and then trying to fill it. It was more re wondering if this Apad was worth giving as Xmas pressy to my boys. Would they use it? Or is it not what a young chap would play with as a result of software, capability, akwardness, speed or whatever. From my research I have come to the conclusion that it is a gizmo well worth the prize. But so is a cappuchino maker (but it is something my boys have no use of).

I do think this is what they will get as nowhere have I seen any info telling me that this is crap for $129. And that applies to here on KB too.

Gremlin
5th December 2010, 23:26
You have to define crap tho. And this depends on needs/requirements. For me, its crap, but I'm carrying a blackberry and laptop wherever I go, and neither an ipad or apad can replace their functionality totally.

MarkH
6th December 2010, 20:17
Reviews look good and an affordable alternative to the iPad bit difficult to know the apps but Android is building a market fast and wouldn't be at all surprised if they take over from Apple in the next year.

LOL - Android has already passed the iPhone/iPad OS. This device is Android 2.1, the same OS that is in dozens of different models of cell phones. The Android OS is the 2nd most popular OS for cell phones behind Symbian used on Nokia. There may be more apps in the Apple store, but so many people are using Android that you KNOW there will be a fuck-tonne of apps coming out over the next year.
Android is put out by Google, that is a pretty big company backing this OS.

The device in question - undoubtedly rubbish, but still probably worth it for $129. Don't be surprised if it fails within a year, but if it is really useful it could be worth replacing it with a new Samsung (or whatever) running Android 2.2 (or newer). It could be worth buying the cheapo just to test run the form factor & OS rather than spend twice as much or more and find that the gadget just doesn't appeal.
With luck by the time it dies the better ones will have dropped in price by $100 and improved in performance & features and you will be better off than if you had bought a high quality one now.

Conquiztador
6th December 2010, 20:55
LOL - Android has already passed the iPhone/iPad OS. This device is Android 2.1, the same OS that is in dozens of different models of cell phones. The Android OS is the 2nd most popular OS for cell phones behind Symbian used on Nokia. There may be more apps in the Apple store, but so many people are using Android that you KNOW there will be a fuck-tonne of apps coming out over the next year.
Android is put out by Google, that is a pretty big company backing this OS.

The device in question - undoubtedly rubbish, but still probably worth it for $129. Don't be surprised if it fails within a year, but if it is really useful it could be worth replacing it with a new Samsung (or whatever) running Android 2.2 (or newer). It could be worth buying the cheapo just to test run the form factor & OS rather than spend twice as much or more and find that the gadget just doesn't appeal.
With luck by the time it dies the better ones will have dropped in price by $100 and improved in performance & features and you will be better off than if you had bought a high quality one now.

Thank you. Have put my order in.

pzkpfw
6th December 2010, 21:30
Thank you. Have put my order in.

Let us know how it goes... write a review?

scissorhands
7th December 2010, 02:59
I have been a netbook user for 2 years now, starting with the 8.9" cheapo N250, now 10.1" N270, better models with 2gb ram and newer N450 processors.

The limitation for me is the inability to play HD, I dont game, so find basic netbooks fine for my needs.

re APAD: Going to a 7" screen of low quality will never be an option for me, and I like a keyboard so I can post on KB and email people with ease.