PDA

View Full Version : Bring a Pillion Day?

ManDownUnder
14th June 2005, 11:52
Hey guys/gals...

I've been thinking about this for a while now... wouldn't it be fun to have an organised event... for pillions?

Spread the fun of motorcycling, introduce some new people to it, or reaquaint some that used to, but no longer do for whatever reason?

You'd need:
1) A bike capable of it... likely 400cc upwards?
2) Helmet, Jacket, Gloves, boots (or stout shoes)
3) A nice day.

Thoughts/comments?
MDU

bugjuice
14th June 2005, 11:55
what, bring people you know, or offer a ride for those thinking about it?
I could go in for either. Just no spare gear for 'er on the back. But I have a spare seat for anyone wanting a go..

tis a goood idea, and something different to do ;)
could do an easy cruise round mission bay down to Mareiti (how ever it's spelt) for some fush n chups, or summut like that..

ManDownUnder
14th June 2005, 11:57
what, bring people you know, or offer a ride for those thinking about it?
I could go in for either. Just no spare gear for 'er on the back. But I have a spare seat for anyone wanting a go..

tis a goood idea, and something different to do ;)
could do an easy cruise round mission bay down to Mareiti (how ever it's spelt) for some fush n chups, or summut like that..

Either/either (to be said in different ways... to make sense of it... if that's even CLOSE to making sense.. coz if not... aaa fugggit)

Probably best for people you know as the trust thing is a big issue for newbies on bikes.... it would make life a lot more comfortable for them, but if they're ok to go on the back of my bike, and they're a stranger... I'm fine with that
MDU

White trash
14th June 2005, 12:14
Good idea, MDU.

Pillions make for excellent balast when performing wheelies.

"Yo Mitch! Get ya kit on dude, we're goin' wheelieing!"

ManDownUnder
14th June 2005, 12:23
Good idea, MDU.

Pillions make for excellent balast when performing wheelies.

"Yo Mitch! Get ya kit on dude, we're goin' wheelieing!"

You might get a few unexpected skid marks too :rofl:

Eurygnomes
14th June 2005, 13:39
There I was, about to say "pick me, pick me!" in my own Hermionesque manner...when there was mention of wheelies. Ta very much! :(

One of the reasons I'm dying (ha ha) to get into this whole biking thing (apart from the fact I love the smell of leather) is that my brother recently took me on his (hang on, looking it up)...ZX600D....around London (it took us 2hrs to get from Whitechapel to Leicester Square...I blame the Thames) and I absolutely LOVED it.

So, as well as being a passenger on my Dad's Yamaha 1100 as a 5 year old (my helmet doesn't fit me anymore and my jumpsuit CERTAINLY doesn't), I've been pillion (hooray) on my bro's bike. So now I want my own baby bike.

To which I'm adding "pick me, pick me" followed by a small squeaky voice "unless you want to do wheelies with a pillion passenger...I think...".

ManDownUnder
14th June 2005, 13:48
There I was, about to say "pick me, pick me!" in my own Hermionesque manner...when there was mention of wheelies. Ta very much! :(

One of the reasons I'm dying (ha ha) to get into this whole biking thing (apart from the fact I love the smell of leather) is that my brother recently took me on his (hang on, looking it up)...ZX600D....around London (it took us 2hrs to get from Whitechapel to Leicester Square...I blame the Thames) and I absolutely LOVED it.

So, as well as being a passenger on my Dad's Yamaha 1100 as a 5 year old (my helmet doesn't fit me anymore and my jumpsuit CERTAINLY doesn't), I've been pillion (hooray) on my bro's bike. So now I want my own baby bike.

To which I'm adding "pick me, pick me" followed by a small squeaky voice "unless you want to do wheelies with a pillion passenger...I think...".

No worries - what I actually (and seriouly) have in mind is a longish ride that allows pillions to get used to being on the bike, start off slower in town, heading out along the motorway and over some interesting open road, then back to original spot.

Wheelies aren't on the agenda ... at all...

Maybe a couple of hours, head out, grab a coffee somewhere (and have a chance to compare notes, swap pillions - whatever - and head back.

MDU

White trash
14th June 2005, 13:56
No worries - what I actually (and seriouly) have in mind is a longish ride that allows pillions to get used to being on the bike, start off slower in town, heading out along the motorway and over some interesting open road, then back to original spot.

Brilliant idea.

Wheelies aren't on the agenda ... at all...

Fuck ya then, I'm not coming.

Maybe a couple of hours, head out, grab a coffee somewhere (and have a chance to compare notes, swap pillions - whatever - and head back.

MDU

Mmmmmm, pillion swapping, I'm coming after all.......

Slingshot
14th June 2005, 13:58
Sounds like a great idea but unfortunality I cannot offer my services.

Whenever I ride my wife pillions...if someone was to organise this in Wellington I'd be keen to come along and tend to any new pillions that should happen to fall off the back.

Slingshot
14th June 2005, 13:58

Keys in the middle:devil2:

Str8 Jacket
14th June 2005, 14:00

Maaate, have you ever been a pillion while the rider pulls wheelies??!! To be honest if the riders skilled/experienced enuf then its actually quite fun . . .
One of my ex's used to pull wheelies with me on the back quite often, my mates would always be like "he doesn't care about you, or thats sooo dangerous" but to be honest I really enjoyed it, and am hoping that I too can learn to wheelie one day!

White trash
14th June 2005, 14:01
Maaate, have you ever been a pillion while the rider pulls wheelies??!! To be honest if the riders skilled/experienced enuf then its actually quite fun . . .
One of my ex's used to pull wheelies with me on the back quite often, my mates would always be like "he doesn't care about you, or thats sooo dangerous" but to be honest I really enjoyed it, and am hoping that I too can learn to wheelie one day!

That's the attitude!

And he isn't even any good at them! (Don't tell him I said that)

Eurygnomes
14th June 2005, 14:01
Keys? What keys? *best blonde impression*

I'm in. Coffee/fish'n'chips/pubcrawl - whatever. I'm in! Just tell me when, where, and what to wear (are heels suitable?)...and what we can bring towards the cost (ie. buy the riders coffee - that sort of thing).

Nomes

White trash
14th June 2005, 14:04
Keys? What keys? *best blonde impression*

I'm in. Coffee/fish'n'chips/pubcrawl - whatever. I'm in! Just tell me when, where, and what to wear (are heels suitable?)...and what we can bring towards the cost (ie. buy the riders coffee - that sort of thing).

Nomes

Ummmm, you'd need to get to Auckland 1st methinks.

Maybe a lift on the back of a Gixxer 1K? :whistle:

Str8 Jacket
14th June 2005, 14:04
That's the attitude!

And he isn't even any good at them! (Don't tell him I said that)

:rofl:
Tell ya what mate, you make my bike "magically" appear by the end of the day tomoro and you got yourself a deal! :whistle:

mikey
14th June 2005, 14:09

Maybe a lift on the back of a Gixxer 1K? :whistle:

if it ever goes :whistle:

is pretty good on back of jimmys gix, even wqhen the cunt pulls wheelies an you almost fall off the back,

i jus made sure that if i was going to fall off back so was he

Riff Raff
14th June 2005, 16:40

Is that right???? :spudgrr:

Maybe a lift on the back of a Gixxer 1K?
I think perhaps Eurygnomes would find it more comfortable on the back of my SV for such a long trip!

White trash
14th June 2005, 16:46
Is that right???? :spudgrr:

Yes it is right. You're not a pillion.

And I'll "spudgrr" you in a minute.

Paul in NZ
14th June 2005, 16:59
Hey! This sounds like fun!!!

I'll turn up on the ancient Moto Guzzi LM2 and offer people rides onna back... So if any parents out their want to turn people off motorcycling forever just point em in my direction! One spin on the turbo trembler with it's 50 odd (very odd actually) bhp and it's special short throw suspension (well we call it suspension) with it's unsettling rocking side to side motion should put most of them off and if it helps I'll wear my crotchless 1 piece leathers and bring my rubber chicken too...

However if we get out onto the open road and la Guzzi gets to clear her throat and sing her aria of mechanical love of all things petroleum as she surges forwards in the characteristic "I never thought that old wreck could go like that fashion" with the straight cut gears whining and the open exhausts snarling over the sweet sound of air being sucked into massive (and primitive) carbs the poor soul will be lost to the mindless hordes of japanese clone bikes forever. Doomed to wander unlit carparks, hanging out with other misfits and reading Guzziology under the blankets at night with a torch (welding torch usually).... so sad...

snap

anyway...

Ahem

Slipstream
14th June 2005, 17:30
Hey! This sounds like fun!!!

I'll turn up on the ancient Moto Guzzi LM2 and offer people rides onna back...

Yeah it does sound like fun :niceone:

I could be your first victim ...er... pillion, I've ridden with ya before...now tell me, will the bike have the sheepskin on the seat this time or will it just be the plain wood?? :whistle:

J/K

Paul in NZ
14th June 2005, 19:57
Yeah it does sound like fun :niceone:

I could be your first victim ...er... pillion, I've ridden with ya before...now tell me, will the bike have the sheepskin on the seat this time or will it just be the plain wood?? :whistle:

J/K

Oh I have a 'special' seat for you little girl.... mwahahahahaha

No.. actually I have a nice new super special custom one from Eurodave. ;-)

StoneChucker
14th June 2005, 20:17
This sounds like a great idea. Not sure if there are many people on here who haven't been on a bike though. I have a seat available if you're a medium to small sized person, and don't mind sporty riding positions. NO wheelies, honest ;) Err, assuming that what I CAN do is classified as a wheelie.......

When?

ManDownUnder
15th June 2005, 10:28
This sounds like a great idea. Not sure if there are many people on here who haven't been on a bike though. I have a seat available if you're a medium to small sized person, and don't mind sporty riding positions. NO wheelies, honest ;) Err, assuming that what I CAN do is classified as a wheelie.......

When?

Dunno - just seeing if the support was out there - and I think it is...

The idea came from talking about the bike etc here at work. One workmate used to ride but she's "lost her nerve", and another is just a thrills junkie... and I jokingly suggested setting up a pillion day with a couple of others I know that have bikes...

The biggest challenge will be getting the safety gear for them (helmet and gloves especially). If we can crack that I think it's all on.

I (for one) have all the gears needed for a small pillion.

I'll put the event up with details and see how we get on? I'll set one up in Aucks, maybe someone in wellwood, and another in Chch can do the same?

I've never set an event up before - so humour me... I may have a false start or two.

Preferences/thoughts on dates? (I'll give this 24 hrous before posting the event)
MDU

Gremlin
15th June 2005, 13:50
I can't help, being a learner, but on the gear count, what about getting one of the bike stores to help out??

They get exposure, and if the people like the biking, and get into it, they would need gear. Where would they probably go??

Just 2c of thoughts.

StoneChucker
15th June 2005, 17:30
While the getting gear from stores seems a good idea, in reality I HIGHLY doubt if any store would just give out gear. They don't have "demo gear" and once worn for a period of time, it would be "used".

I have a spare helmet, jacket and gloves if this were to go ahead, so all I'd need is a body to fit them on :niceone:

Erm, we COULD start the day as a normal ride, and slowly turn it into a pillion event by picking up hitchhikers? :rofl:

Two Smoker
15th June 2005, 18:34
Im bringing my missus when the 600 is back on the road... and if i rip opemn the throttle and the front wheel comes up, its her and the bikes fault...

rogson
15th June 2005, 19:11
I like the idea from the standpoint of getting regular pillions together. On many occasions my wife and I have been on a ride where we are the only (or one of two or three) two-up. As a result we have been in the outer rather than the inner social circle - if you know what I mean. A ride/gathering where solos are in the minority and pillions have free range to talk about their experiences - and lambaste or otherwise their riders- could be fun.

However, I am a bit dubious about a ride for newbie pillions - especially with strangers. Riding pillion is not riding a bike - in fact bugger-all connection really. In my experience a person will ride pillion if they approve of the rider - whether it be their riding ability, trustworthiness, bank balance, Brad Pit looks, ......... whatever. The wrong rider could put a pillion off bikes for life!

StoneChucker
15th June 2005, 21:49
a person will ride pillion if they approve of the rider - whether it be their riding ability, trustworthiness, bank balance, Brad Pit looks, ......... whatever. The wrong rider could put a pillion off bikes for life!
I don't shine in any one of those categories (except maybe #2), so I guess I'm counting on someone needing to get from A to B :no:
I guess I could bring the bucket and anyone who wants a go can have a go, somewhere quiet? Parking lot, dirt road, SH1, wherever?

ManDownUnder
16th June 2005, 09:44
I like the idea from the standpoint of getting regular pillions together. On many occasions my wife and I have been on a ride where we are the only (or one of two or three) two-up. As a result we have been in the outer rather than the inner social circle - if you know what I mean. A ride/gathering where solos are in the minority and pillions have free range to talk about their experiences - and lambaste or otherwise their riders- could be fun.

Yup - I know what you mean the pillion etc - it's actually a lot of fun to go out with your better half for a ride and enjoy similar company. Go and do something for the day, and the ride there and back is part of the wind up and down. I could not agree with you more.

However, I am a bit dubious about a ride for newbie pillions - especially with strangers. Riding pillion is not riding a bike - in fact bugger-all connection really. <snip - sorry> The wrong rider could put a pillion off bikes for life!

'fraid I'll have to disagreed (sort of) about the bugger all connection. I think pillions enjoy being pillions and as such it can/often leads into riding bikes.

That being said, some people simply enjoy being pillions - those here at work certainly do.

And yes... putting people off being pillions and bikes isn't the goal. So Wheelies stoppies and the like wouldn't be on the cards. If the rider and pillion both (BOTH) wanted that, then I have no problem with it, just so long as they don't set any expectations in the minds of others that all riders do that. Fact is we don't all do that.
MDU