PDA

View Full Version : Ever noticed the fast lane is best for splitting?

ManDownUnder
14th June 2005, 11:54
A 'friend of mine' splits on the way to work, and has noticed the gap between the fast lane and the next slowest lane seems to be the bext to split in.

"His" theory is that the cars in the fast lane seem to sit further right as there is no-one to THEIR right to avoid/distract them/worry about.

It's even big enough for 'his' RF to travel through with relative ease...

It that your experience too - 'he's' just interested...
MDU <== friend of splitter :ride:

bugjuice
14th June 2005, 11:58
I just use the left lane most of the time, otherwise known in the UK as 'the slow lane' as everyone piles into the middle and right lanes regardless of traffic flow (idiots), but yeah, I normally stick to the right 'lane' for splitting. I think that's a 'grey' law that has to be done. It's linked to the 'over taking on the right' rule, but you cannot use the centre of the motorway or rarely the road (where multi-laning is), so that only leaves you with the right side of which you refer too

TonyB
14th June 2005, 12:06
Fast lane? Wut's a fast lane? We ain't got none o them new fangled mult-eye lane frueeways durn here..... where's muh banjo at daagnabbit!!

Lou Girardin
14th June 2005, 12:42
Which ever is moving quickest, shoulder, left, middle or even the little one next to the barrier.
That is a bike lane, right?

ManDownUnder
14th June 2005, 13:25
Which ever is moving quickest, shoulder, left, middle or even the little one next to the barrier.
That is a bike lane, right?

Hell yes - they're ALL bikes lanes.. I read it on the internet!

Jeremy
14th June 2005, 14:10
The right hand lane should be the easiest to split as there should be less traffic switching between it and the other lanes (compared to the left most lane and the other lanes). It also has the advantage of usually have less trucks on it, so you can see further ahead. Now if only there was a way to get rid of the vans as well.

ManDownUnder
14th June 2005, 14:17
The right hand lane should be the easiest to split as there should be less traffic switching between it and the other lanes (compared to the left most lane and the other lanes). It also has the advantage of usually have less trucks on it, so you can see further ahead. Now if only there was a way to get rid of the vans as well.

is that the police vans you mean - or just panel vans?

:ride:

MDU

SuperDave
14th June 2005, 14:19
Noticed the same thing. I wish they would allow us bikes to use the hard shoulders or whatever they are called during peak traffic, it makes so much more sense.

justsomeguy
14th June 2005, 14:27
yeah I agree too...... but sometimes you just gotta pick any gap ......

Jeremy
14th June 2005, 14:30
is that the police vans you mean - or just panel vans?

:ride:

MDU

Regular vans, especially those I can't see through due to them having no rear window... At least with 4wd's you can usually see the cars in front of you through them, but if you've got a van in front of you, you have to be constantly ready to slam on the brakes as some (a lot it seems) don't bother to engine brake or slow down at all before putting on their brakes on full. Which makes the slow crawl into Uni interesting.

justsomeguy
14th June 2005, 14:36
Regular vans, especially those I can't see through due to them having no rear window... At least with 4wd's you can usually see the cars in front of you through them, but if you've got a van in front of you, you have to be constantly ready to slam on the brakes as some (a lot it seems) don't bother to engine brake or slow down at all before putting on their brakes on full. Which makes the slow crawl into Uni interesting.

Yea in that case you just stand up on your foot pegs...... easy:yes: ..... and never enter a gap that you can't see atleast 3 cars ahead

Biff
14th June 2005, 15:34
Not that I've ever seen an 'outside' lane here, as in a three laned highway, but back in ye olde U of K - yup, definately the outside lane every time. If for no other reason than just because the muppets in the outside lane consider it a fast lane and their penises are far too large to lower themselves to drive in the middle or inside lane. Even if there's nothing there except fresh air.

SPman
14th June 2005, 18:17
Never noticed - I just nail whatever lane I'm in.....

FEINT
15th June 2005, 09:38
I am go in any lane that is fastest. Usually on the Northern Heading South, the left lane is the fastest moving UNTIL the exits. By that time, I am in the right lane. :D

But we should be allowed to ride in the shoulders on the far right hand side!

sAsLEX
15th June 2005, 11:28
some times its easier in lane 1/2 as the traffic is more dense and has no room to move about so you have a bit more knowledge that people aint going to dive across in to gaps as they just aint there! you can just fly along using your "whiskers" to keep you out of harms way

Jabez
15th June 2005, 12:45
I just get into the quickest lane & on the NW motorway, after yove been on it awhile it gets very perdictable as to which lane & where will be moving the most.:)

Will
15th June 2005, 17:15
I have noticed that cars expect you to split between the two outside or "faster" lanes. They are not ready for you anywhere else. In fact you can see them flinch sometimes as you wake them up. So I go for the splitting between middle and fast. But don't go much faster than a 30 k difference.
About the bike lane, I avoid that because of all the rubbish. Don't want a puncture.

Coldkiwi
15th June 2005, 18:02
yup. I rely on that lane for my progress. I've had too many sleepy drivers cut me off in the outside lane A. I think its because car drivers assume anyone in the outer most lane will be going slower than them whereas they vaguely expect people in the 'fast' lane to be gaining and will take at least a cursory glance in the mirror.

its all generalisations though... comes down to the traffic on the day a lot of the time

myvice
17th June 2005, 19:27
I travel about 50ks a day on the Southen at peak times (any time from 5am till 10pm is a peak time) and try to sit between the two outside lanes as 1. The people in the "fast" lane are happy in there and dont want to start swopping caus then you might spill your coffe, lose your place in the newspaper or miss bits when shaving/putting on your makeup. 2. Cops generally sit in the inner two lanes or on the soft sholder so you can spot them or get a bit of distance if thay want a chat and you have nothing to tell them. 3. The gaps are bigger, I dont know why, just lucky. I pass a bike or two some mornings and I dont know why thay sit in the que, maby its fun to slowly pass out from exaust fumes? Odd, very very odd.

Coldkiwi
20th June 2005, 13:26
I travel about 50ks a day on the Southen at peak times (any time from 5am till 10pm is a peak time) and try to sit between the two outside lanes as 1. The people in the "fast" lane are happy in there and dont want to start swopping caus then you might spill your coffe, lose your place in the newspaper or miss bits when shaving/putting on your makeup. 2. Cops generally sit in the inner two lanes or on the soft sholder so you can spot them or get a bit of distance if thay want a chat and you have nothing to tell them. 3. The gaps are bigger, I dont know why, just lucky. I pass a bike or two some mornings and I dont know why thay sit in the que, maby its fun to slowly pass out from exaust fumes? Odd, very very odd.

sounds like a carbon copy replica of my commute mate! You bring up a good point about the cops in the outside lane. Much harder for them to spot you when splitting between fast/not-so-fast lanes due to the additional angle... more stuff to hide behind if reqd!