PDA

View Full Version : Fork oil seal & oil replacement

SEAGULL
14th June 2005, 13:15
At some stage I'm looking at replacing the seals & oil in my 1986 Harley. Got the new seals & oil already thought I might tackle it myself. Any ideas (apart from a workshop), on a quick & easy way to do this without ripping off the whole triple tree. Sometimes its good to do these things yourself, trouble is can't be off the road too long. as its my means of transport. How long would a good time estimate be from start to finish??

Wolud really appreciate any good suggestion guys, thanks :ride:

SEAGULL
10th August 2005, 22:07
Hi Jackrat. Thanx for the information regarding the fork oil replacement. will have a go one weekend when I'm brave enough and can get the time. I know what you mean with buggering up some thing cause its usually a rusty bolt that shears off or the like!!! Thanks again for the advice will let you know how I got on. Graham (seagull) :niceone:

hondacmx450
12th August 2005, 19:50
take it to the shop for the agro it is easyer

rua
13th August 2005, 22:53
Just had a go at mine, problems I encountered were the hex bolts holding the damping rods needed a rattle gun as the damping rods rotate in the tube, also the old seals were stuck pretty good and had to be split, Good luck.

Paul in NZ
14th August 2005, 12:32
It's an evenings work on the Guzzi but I have done it before and Guzzi's design trend was to make basic servicing as easy as possible. (like everyone else they lost the plot in latter years)...

The trumpy takes a lot longer and you need a couple of special tools to do it.

Seriously, I'd get the manual and check out the procedure as it could save you a fortune in the long run! There are probably a zillion HD lists out there so I'd ask for any traps on them as well!

Lemme know if you need any help to lift the bike or anything as we are just down the road in Raumati..

Cheers

SEAGULL
14th August 2005, 18:23
Thanks for the advise Paul, might take you up on the offer at some point. Will let you know. Cheers Graham