PDA

View Full Version : Retro Bikes

Estrella
14th June 2005, 17:55
Any girls out there into retro bikes, Kawasaki W650 or similar?

I have a Kawasaki Estrella BJ250 which is low on power but big on looks, well I think he is gorgeous. (Great riding position and seat height for those of us vertically challeged). :ride:

Is there anyone else out there who just LOVES their bike?

Not sure how to get a photo onto the thread but check out my profile and you will see Hubert the bike. Sorry about the name, I inherited it!

XTC
14th June 2005, 17:56
I've got an 05 XT600.... does that count as retro?
You attach photo's like this....

XTC
14th June 2005, 18:05
Oops just reread your post..... I'm not a girl.... At least I think I'm not.

James Deuce
14th June 2005, 18:09
What a delightful motorcycle! Welcome to KB.

Estrella
14th June 2005, 18:10
No problem,

Any boys or girls out there into retro bikes?

Hey how did you attach that photo?

Thanks

dangerous
14th June 2005, 18:23
Oops just reread your post..... I'm not a girl.... At least I think I'm not.
me neither..... but posting all the same, hey 1st time for everything :whistle:

retro bikes, I have a Kawasaki Estrella BJ250
hey there Estrella, followed ya thread here from the home page...... awesome looking bike never seen one before and never knew they existed, how cool is that :niceone:
But I call retro the late 70's and 80's your bike looks dated back to the 50's/60's era,heres a pic of my fav 'retro' bike (1982)

Estrella
14th June 2005, 19:18
Yes you are right it is based on a 1950's bike.

They were sold in Germany between 1994-1999 (thats where my bike came from, a guy that emigrated here brought it with him) and are still manufactured and sold in Japan. They are very popular over there as they can be customised big time.

The Estrella looks to me like the younger (and better looking) sibling of the Kawasaki W650 (which can be bought here).

scumdog
14th June 2005, 19:29
me neither..... but posting all the same, hey 1st time for everything :whistle:

hey there Estrella, followed ya thread here from the home page...... awesome looking bike never seen one before and never knew they existed, how cool is that :niceone:
But I call retro the late 70's and 80's your bike looks dated back to the 50's/60's era,heres a pic of my fav 'retro' bike (1982)

RETRO?? retro? shit D., I thought my XN was state-of-the-art when I got it a couple of years ago, right up there with the Hubble telescope, now you've crushed me, hmmmph retro? mumble mumble......

My sporty is retro (I think but not so sure now :no: )

Waylander
14th June 2005, 19:34
My bike is of a discontinued line does that count?

Saw an Estrella on trademeafew weeks ago. Customized up to look like a bigger cruiser. Not bad at all.

zadok
15th June 2005, 02:01
I didn't even know that model existed. I'm impressed. Very nice.
My current and last bike are 'nakeds'. I like the idea of a bikini or half fairing on the next bike, if there is a next bike.

LB
15th June 2005, 03:05
;
;
Hi Estrella - welcome to the KB gargre.

Haven't seen an Estrella before - love the pic (snow-capped Kaikouras in the background......)
;
;

Bonez
15th June 2005, 03:10
Can anyone join in? Nice pics. Just bought a '88 GB400(unamed yet). And it's lot better than I expected and can see some mods being done to it. The '76 CB550FA(Ronda) is definately retro jap. '81 GSX750EX(GasAxe) and '86 CB750FC2(Gerty) Integra-typical UJMCs. Wouldn't mind a W650 or a zepher 750 for that matter.

White trash
15th June 2005, 10:48
My bike is of a discontinued line

There's a good reason for that.....

Estrella
15th June 2005, 13:36
I know the W650 but what is a Zepher 750?

I like your bikes and their names, everyone needs a Gerty in their life :ride:

vifferman
15th June 2005, 13:39
Not sure how to get a photo onto the thread but check out my profile and you will see Hubert the bike.
Nice! But the seat would look better (in my opinion) as a single conventional unit.

Sorry about the name, I inherited it!
Don't be sorry - no-one minds apart from Hitcher.

Zephyr is a Kawasaki 1990's 750 4-cylinder, based on the Z bikes of the 70s/80s.

John
15th June 2005, 13:49
I always liked the older bikes - one day I will be able to start restoration projects - very nice bike you have Estrealla, looks great!

Estrella
15th June 2005, 13:55
;
;
Hi Estrella - welcome to the KB gargre.

Haven't seen an Estrella before - love the pic (snow-capped Kaikouras in the background......)
;
;
My what good eyes you have, Kaikouras, well spotted!

Came over all artistic as I rode round the south coast the other day!!

Waylander
15th June 2005, 14:15
There's a good reason for that.....
Hows the wind?

Riff get this man a job up there soon, surely there are better uses of his time than casting asperations about my bike...

Paul in NZ
15th June 2005, 14:17
A lot of german middle weights had that 'look' in the 50's.

Looks a bit like a DKW RT250/350 twin.

All my bikes are retro bikes... Of course they were state of the art when new but....

SpankMe
15th June 2005, 14:49
When I get it back from the engine reconditioners in September (waiting on a crank shaft from Japan) it will be a GB600. :banana:

Big Dave
15th June 2005, 16:15
The future is retro baby!

Estrella
15th June 2005, 16:44
Here is an Estrella with the conventional seat, looks better?

Mine usually has just the single seat with a chrome carrier, but the kids refuse to ride on it and insist on the seat. Breeding them soft these days!

Great to see all these retro bike photos posted. There are some fantastic looking bikes out there. :niceone:

Bonez
15th June 2005, 17:55
When I get it back from the engine reconditioners in September (waiting on a crank shaft from Japan) it will be a GB600. :banana:I WANT ONE!!!!! :niceone:

Enn
15th June 2005, 20:43
Hi there and welcome, excellent looking machine.... :niceone:

surfchick
16th June 2005, 18:49
mine is a semi retro cafe-racer type thingi..
goes good. nice and torquey i'm discovering what this means...
when i bought it i had to steer away from buying a 1969 250cc ducati..wishing i had a partner that could maintain it for me... :devil2: was loverly, but not the kind of no-brain bike you need when you as learner as me...

dangerous
16th June 2005, 20:04
mine is a semi retro cafe-racer type thingi.....
awesome wee Vee twin that, is there a 2nd pipe on the other side? is that one open looks like a cool megafone style, would sound sweet if it was open :devil2:

James Deuce
16th June 2005, 20:06
The future is retro baby!
So when will cavemen get the vote then big fella?

Give that kid his scale model back you meany.

surfchick
16th June 2005, 20:08
yeah second exh. pipe on the other side. i ride around in perfect symetry... its already sounds rumbly for its size..would be cool to have more noise...what do i saw off? :devil2: i like the v-twins.

dangerous
16th June 2005, 20:26
yeah second exh. pipe on the other side. i ride around in perfect symetry... its already sounds rumbly for its size..would be cool to have more noise...what do i saw off? :devil2: i like the v-twins.
LOL..... on ya girl, V2's rule 4cyl's belong in cars :Punk:

Estrella
16th June 2005, 20:55
"mine is a semi retro cafe-racer type thingi.."

Hey if you like the cafe racer look check out this site.
www.the59club.com

It has some great photos of the rockers scene in the late 50s, 60's, and 70's and info on the priest that helped run the 59 club, I kid you not.
Quite a history lesson.

Big Dave
16th June 2005, 21:56
So when will cavemen get the vote then big fella?

Give that kid his scale model back you meany.

Ugg!

I call it 'Henchman Moderne' thank you - nobody pulls out in front of me, changes lanes, or drives to close to me in that getup.
put the goretex and the full face gentleman tourer suit on board the Trophy and i may as well be invisible like bumble beemer.

I was wondering who would give me shite about that photo. I was directing a girlie shoot (oops - inappropriate forum - sorry ladies) and the photographer wanted a focus.

My tbird gets used for heaps of ads too - most common appearance is for mr motomail

surfchick
16th June 2005, 22:05
"mine is a semi retro cafe-racer type thingi.."

Hey if you like the cafe racer look check out this site.
www.the59club.com

It has some great photos of the rockers scene in the late 50s, 60's, and 70's and info on the priest that helped run the 59 club, I kid you not.
Quite a history lesson.

ohh la la there's some cool bikes in those old pix.
i reckon the only thing that lets down the nu retro bikes like mine is the spoked wheels... i reckon they should keep the old petrol tank, and i love ant-abdomen backs on the seats, but i think they should have developed a different look from the spokes..i know that's the old skool look, but I WANT TO BE ABLE TO SQUIRT IN puncture repair goo which i don't think works on spoked/tubed tires...

James Deuce
16th June 2005, 22:10
Ugg!

I call it 'Henchman Moderne' thank you - nobody pulls out in front of me, changes lanes, or drives to close to me in that getup.
put the goretex and the full face gentleman tourer suit on board the Trophy and i may as well be invisible like bumble beemer.

I was wondering who would give me shite about that photo. I was directing a girlie shoot (oops - inappropriate forum - sorry ladies) and the photographer wanted a focus.

My tbird gets used for heaps of ads too - most common appearance is for mr motomail

Sorry sir (I always call Sasquatch "sir"), couldn't help it. I would rather have thought that using you for focus on a girlie shoot would have resulted in very small pictures of "girlies".

Big Dave
16th June 2005, 22:15
ohh la la there's some cool bikes in those old pix.
i reckon the only thing that lets down the nu retro bikes like mine is the spoked wheels... i reckon they should keep the old petrol tank, and i love ant-abdomen backs on the seats, but i think they should have developed a different look from the spokes..i know that's the old skool look, but I WANT TO BE ABLE TO SQUIRT IN puncture repair goo which i don't think works on spoked/tubed tires...

Noooo, it would spoil the balance of beautiful things,

Ixion
16th June 2005, 22:18

Ohhh, priddy. Me want. Just noticed though, the chain's on the wrong side.

Big Dave
16th June 2005, 22:48
Ohhh, priddy. Me want. Just noticed though, the chain's on the wrong side.

It has to go to the rear wheel. To hard to steer with it on the front.
see your nearest authorised triumph dealer www.triumphnz.co.nz. :whistle:

Actually shouldn't we vacate the ladies section? - i stumbled in here by errrror.

surfchick
16th June 2005, 22:48
mm have to admit that's pretty tasty.. but i do like to old school way of leaving a few more bolts showing. i esp love it when you can see the rivot thingi/ bolt thigis that hold the metal cover bits on. i still think all manufacturers could put more effort into the aesthetics of wheels but...

Ixion
16th June 2005, 22:50
It has to go to the rear wheel. To hard to steer with it on the front.
see your nearest authorised triumph dealer www.triumphnz.co.nz. :whistle:

Ahy , but Yamaha are bring out a two wheel drive bike !

Jackrat
3rd July 2005, 21:53
I know the W650 but what is a Zepher 750?

I like your bikes and their names, everyone needs a Gerty in their life :ride:

Hell I'm bored,but look what I found just for you.
This is a 750 they come in 550 an 1100 as well.

zadok
3rd July 2005, 22:16
Hell I'm bored,but look what I found just for you.
This is a 750 they come in 550 an 1100 as well.
When I bought my bike, the 550 was the same price, but as much as I liked it, I went with the shaft drive. I haven't regretted it.

avgas
3rd July 2005, 22:37
I love retro's cafe racers. They are the best.
Why the hell doesnt anyone make big single cafe racers???? Thumpers are the best, gives you a real 'rat-race' feel when you ride one.
Next year ill prob look at something like an SRX6 or sim as a second bike.
Below is a pick of my ol' GB, before a Corolla 'removed' it from my possesion.....along with the ability to walk without a limp or pain.

avgas
3rd July 2005, 23:02
On the upside you can convert a zxr to look like this.
Its Retro.......like the droids on Starwars are :yes:

gav
6th July 2005, 23:47
Nah, just looks like its just been crashed :motu:

Estrella
8th July 2005, 10:53
I love retro's cafe racers.

zadok
8th July 2005, 11:09
I saw the Kawasaki W650 for the first time yesterday when going to get my rear brakes changed. I saw this bike up front a bit, so did a bit of lane splitting and drew up alongside. Gave the old fella riding it a nod and oggled his bike. Quite impressed with the retro/new classic look.

Ixion
8th July 2005, 12:26
You like this?

I particularly like where the number plate is.
(it's that thing glowing under the seat)

Yeah, taht's real nice :love:

eliot-ness
8th July 2005, 14:06
Nah!!! These are not retro bikes. Real retro bikes had oily bits n shaky bits n bits that fell off n big toolboxes n places to keep lots of headlamp bulbs n rusty wheels you could take off to fix punctures n dud batteries n dodgy lectrics n slippy tires.
No fun this modern stuff. All ya can do is ride em. Bring back the BSA Sloper. That was a real bike.
Seriously, great link to the 59 club. Remember it well, (and the vicar) The club was the first attempt to make biking acceptable to the general public. Don't think it worked but it was great fun.

Ixion
8th July 2005, 15:43
Nah!!! These are not retro bikes. Real retro bikes had oily bits n shaky bits n bits that fell off n big toolboxes n places to keep lots of headlamp bulbs n rusty wheels you could take off to fix punctures n dud batteries n dodgy lectrics n slippy tires.
No fun this modern stuff. All ya can do is ride em. Bring back the BSA Sloper. That was a real bike.
Seriously, great link to the 59 club. Remember it well, (and the vicar) The club was the first attempt to make biking acceptable to the general public. Don't think it worked but it was great fun.

You forgot the 7 inch SLS brakes (for want of a better term); and no electric starter. And headgaskets/primary chains/crankshafts/gearboxes (depnding on margue) that broke with monotonous regularity. Ah the good old days. Good thing the Enfield Bullet is stilll around!

vifferman
8th July 2005, 15:59
Ah the good old days.
Ah, the good old, bad old days. When men were men, and women were men too.

Or summat.

eliot-ness
8th July 2005, 16:55
You forgot the 7 inch SLS brakes (for want of a better term); and no electric starter. And headgaskets/primary chains/crankshafts/gearboxes (depnding on margue) that broke with monotonous regularity. Ah the good old days. Good thing the Enfield Bullet is stilll around!

I thought they were the best bits. Incidentally, the latest Enfield Bullet cafe racer develops more power than the Gold Star did. and is faster..Ain't noffin sacred.

Big Dave
8th July 2005, 17:03
Ah, the good old, bad old days. When men were men, and women were men too.

Or summat.

'What is this thing you've got about women, Stan?'

Big Dave
8th July 2005, 17:05
I thought they were the best bits. Incidentally, the latest Enfield Bullet cafe racer develops more power than the Gold Star did. and is faster..Ain't noffin sacred.

And you get the 'telemarketing star' for averaging 100 calls an hour around a punjab call centre.

phantom
8th July 2005, 18:03
Love the look of my GB400, well not mine in particular as its dirty, doesn't have a single seat ( yet ) or fairing (yet ) and as someone with little mechanical ability, short arms and deep pockets the idea of a simple, single cylinder, aircooled motor sickle appeals. Just noticed this post takes me to 100 posts which is halfway to being a senior member. At my age I am used to being a veteran so not even being a senior is something to be cherished :yes:

Brian d marge
11th July 2005, 03:15
If its retro you want ,,you cant beat an Enfield ,,,Royal enfield sent over a shipment in the early fifties and the Indians have been producing the same model Ever since
Oh and the price of Spares ..... A fully ported, with very high quality valves springs , seats guides.....( kibblewhite) 330 us dollars

As for Speeding ..it tonk tonks alond at 55 can go to 80 mph ,,,, and uses Bugger all gas ... and will also run quite happily on Alternative fuels ...

Stock ...Hp ... are u sitting down ...12.5 hp but a lot of torque !!

and for 7k with a years warranty !!!

Stephen
the other photo is me playing on the new triumph bonnie at the tokyo motor show

Brian d marge
11th July 2005, 03:34

The most you can get out of an Enfield Bullet is 41 Hp the later goldstars especially the Eddie dows were lot more than that ( late 40 odd Hp )
B50 s are about 33 hp Max back in the day !!

Stil a loverly bike
I know ,...i have the bug...

Stephen

eliot-ness
11th July 2005, 10:55
The most you can get out of an Enfield Bullet is 41 Hp the later goldstars especially the Eddie dows were lot more than that ( late 40 odd Hp )
B50 s are about 33 hp Max back in the day !!

Stil a loverly bike
I know ,...i have the bug...

Hitchcocks cafe racer conversion. (UK) 45bhp. top speed 120mph plus with all road equipment. Expensive though at over 1300 pounds kit price

Brian d marge
11th July 2005, 14:37
Hitchcocks cafe racer conversion. (UK) 45bhp. top speed 120mph plus with all road equipment. Expensive though at over 1300 pounds kit price

Thats a 612 cc and is 39.6 Hp at 5500 rpm , Tolgate produce a 650 and a 700cc bullet with slightly more Hp , but in a bullet at 60mph the standard head cannot get rid of the heat

I had a little input on the AmA winning bullet, by DRS and It was the most labour intensive bike you knew

41 hp is the most you will get out of a 500 cc bullet

Stephen

eliot-ness
11th July 2005, 19:57
Thats a 612 cc and is 39.6 Hp at 5500 rpm

Don't think they'd get 120mph (Classic Bike magazine test figure Oct 04) from39.6bhp on a road bike unless they got the weight down to around 140kgs and fitted fairings. Even that would be borderline. Norton 650ss apart, all Brit 650s sports were around 46bhp and none were capable of 115. Norton reached 123mph with 52bhp.

(45bhp figure is from the Nov. 04 Classic Motorcycle Mag. Advert.)

Ixion
11th July 2005, 20:17
Don't think they'd get 120mph (Classic Bike magazine test figure Oct 04) from39.6bhp on a road bike unless they got the weight down to around 140kgs and fitted fairings. Even that would be borderline. Norton 650ss apart, all Brit 650s sports were around 46bhp and none were capable of 115. Norton reached 123mph with 52bhp.

Got to agree there, if that 40bhp is at the crank. Bonnie was 46 from memory and at best (with a good example) 112mph. Yes, the racing MAC models managed nearly 140mph, but they needed fairings for that. I never altogether believed those figures for the Norton either , 50bhp and 118 true was more usually reckoned. The Norton clutch tended to slip at high revs and some of the higher speed claims were derived from calculation from tacho readings. The clutch slip exaggerated the speed

A more direct comparison, the Velo Thruxton, also a 500 single, had 41bhp (and Velo horses were reckoned honest) and 105mph true unfaired (both ways average)

A naked 500 single with 40bhp at the crank would be a big ask for 120mph.

mstriumph
12th July 2005, 01:33
GREAT-looking bike, Estrella! Luv my bikes too, but they aren't retro - just old ....... :no:

Ixion
12th July 2005, 01:41
GREAT-looking bike, Estrella! Luv my bikes too, but they aren't retro - just old ....... :no:

'72 T120 ain't old - it's immortal [ need an emoticon for green eyed envy]

Brian d marge
12th July 2005, 02:48

ok I will say it again 41 Hp is around /if not the most you can get out of a madrass bullet . ( DRS got around 46 Max but were using very special fuel and it was a time bomb )
Back when he was Racing at beaver falls on the way to the champ he Emailed me to say that they were hoping to break the 50 hp barrier but it didnt happen , It was to unreliable but they did get a race reliable 46 hp rear wheel , click (http://freespace.virgin.net/jess.hemming/World_Enfields.html)

Note I did not say 120 mph BUT Allan hitchcocks 612cc bullet has been officially timed at 120 mph with a fairing ( page 24 of his catalouge )
Now I have had a LOT of dealing with alan and he IS a genuine guy ,,,can be a litle bit of a showman !!But ...,

When you compare bikes ,,the Velo was a fair comp , but a Twin has a greater valve curtain area ( that why Japs went to 6 cylinder , in order to maximise the valve curtain area ,,,while retainng low inertial wieght of the valve!)
Posted below are 1 the compariison ( or stages to tune an Enfield ) and Some photos of the Ama winning bike ! my bits are inside that brake,,,in order to stop the F%& thing flexing and fading .

Once again the Dow goldstars were more than 40 ( I think ONCE he got a figue of 53 Hp BUT please dont quote me on that as I havent the info to hand ! ..but that really was a pukka race bike !! and I cannot find my data on the dow gold stars sorry its around somewhere .. ,,,hence my loose figures )

So come back to your original thought no the Enfield cant and never did make more power ,,, But if you increase the bore to 612 cc then yes they stand a chance against the Goldstars

Stephen

avgas
12th July 2005, 08:30
..........4 pot leading shoe on my enfield if i ever get one..............oh and none of that shambles rear suspession and fugly seat they all have...........ah screw it, may as well get the new 954 Norton.

mstriumph
27th July 2005, 14:26
thank you ... :hug:
'72 T120 ain't old - it's immortal [ need an emoticon for green eyed envy]

mstriumph
27th July 2005, 14:32
...... although previous posts have been right - I wouldn't get 120mph out of her in a pink fit.... evon on a good day, down a steep hill and with a following breeze :no:

.... she does sound marvellous when she's 'not doing' it though :rolleyes:

SDU
27th July 2005, 16:46
mine is a semi retro cafe-racer type thingi..
goes good. nice and torquey i'm discovering what this means...
when i bought it i had to steer away from buying a 1969 250cc ducati..wishing i had a partner that could maintain it for me... :devil2: was loverly, but not the kind of no-brain bike you need when you as learner as me...

Great wee twin. Where did you find it? Can't be too many around.
I saw a picture off some on an overseas forum a couple off years ago and as I :love: twins, decided that would be the bike I'd get for my learners. We couldn't find any around at the time especially in the south. Oh well...
I'm sure it's great fun ride :ride:

inlinefour
25th August 2005, 01:18
1970 on, CB350/4. Its the only bike that I owned, restored, sold and really now I feel that I sould have held onto it forever. Oh well. One day I'll probably pay some stooopid large amount of cash just to have another one in mint condition. :wait:

Brian d marge
25th August 2005, 02:15
Great wee twin. Where did you find it? Can't be too many around.
I saw a picture off some on an overseas forum a couple off years ago and as I :love: twins, decided that would be the bike I'd get for my learners. We couldn't find any around at the time especially in the south. Oh well...
I'm sure it's great fun ride :ride:

the 250 duke is a single see image section for a picture of one ,,the red one next to a blue bantam

They were/are a very nice little bike .....( my one was good for a genuine 100mph ,,( well 95 and a bit of speedo bounce !!!) but still very good for a 250 of that age ...

Stephen

Motu
25th August 2005, 08:25
True,none of the 650s could really do more than 115mph,but nearly all in good tune could do it....in time.They were geared for 125mph in top with a 4 speed box,you would have to red line in 3rd,then slowly build the last 10mph if there was enough road,that was the challenge,finding the road and having the nerve to do it.Funny you should say that about the Norton clutch Ixion - I always knew it was time to have a look at mine,because it would start to slip at 95mph,I always thought that was a bit strange,why only at speed?

But I remember when one of the American mags got 125mph out of a Lightning on a long downhill.Although it only made a couple more HP than a Triumph the A65 was short stroke for it's day and could over rev,same as the unit 500 Daytona...I know the T100C could do over 10,000rpm because I've done it myself many times,but have heard of guys reving the A65 Lightning to 10 grand as well....given time and no load 125mph would be easy.

It was also rumoured that the Yanks could get 60hp out of a Goldstar when they were using them as flattrackers in the 60s,wishful thinking maybe - but if anyone was getting the most HP out of a Goldy it would be them.

Big Dave
25th August 2005, 23:19
...... although previous posts have been right - I wouldn't get 120mph out of her in a pink fit.... evon on a good day, down a steep hill and with a following breeze :no:

.... she does sound marvellous when she's 'not doing' it though :rolleyes:

You live in the dark universe don't you? - switch to light and try and read yer post.

BJ250
24th September 2010, 14:03
sorry to bump an old thread up folks but another Estrella user here so thought I'd check if there are any more of you out there.

oh, and first post too.. :first:

BADGRL
24th September 2010, 21:25
Hey Estrella! Jeeez I'm 5yrs behind on the uptake :D roflmao!!

WOW you seem to have got all the guys attention :D VERY nice 'old girl' you've got there.

After the quakes here I went and rescued my oldie out of lock up, decided to grab wof/reg while I was at it now she's all go for summer rofl... Sorry Grandad - he would kick my a*se for riding it lol

Eurodave
24th September 2010, 22:49
Here's a couple of progress pix of one of my latest projects, my Norvin/Triton inspired 60's styled cafe racer...I started with a BMW R80 frame & added a jappa swingarm,back wheel & Moto Guzzi forks. The motor is a 726cc american industrial Kohler & the 'box is 4 speed pre unit Triumph.
The front wheel & tail light mount are off a Benelli 250 2C & the tank,seat & rear guard are all Norton based. The muffler is off a BSA Goldstar & the carbs are Amals