PDA

View Full Version : Asian Drivers and speed cameras

Jackrat
2nd December 2003, 11:48
Ok I will try to be serious for a change.
We now have yet again the subject of immigrant drives,with the bone being poked mainly at Asian drivers.
I had an incident with an Asian driver myself this morning,In Waiuku of all places,Now these things don,t seem to happen to me very often but I guess nobody is exsempt.
Coming up the main steet with my head light on and traveling about 40Km,I spot a flash red sports car waiting to turn on to the main St.I think to myself,(He,ll do it) So I slow an get ready,Sure enough out he comes.I give him the finger as he cuts across in front of me,but he,s not looking any way.Well I saw that coming a mile off,so I won,t be calling him a noodle eater,I think I will just give myself a pat on the back for knowing it would happen.
Some thing I just accept is that every new immigrant group that comes to NZ goes thru,this learning curve,It won,t change,so what the hell I will just do what I can to avoid em,.
I belive the old Maori people thought the Poms were a bunch of strange buggers for rowing their boats back to front,so not much has changed Aye.
Now we come to speed cameras,Mainly the hidden ones.
It does make sence to me that if a traveler knows there is a very good chance they will get pinged for speeding, then unless they are very well off or have more than one licence like me, then they must eventualy start staying within the speed limits.
All the argument about revenue gathering ect,seems to me to be a totaly different issue.Owning a fast bike it also another issue that can only be addressed by the owner,It,s all very good to say
these bikes are legal to buy,But nobody is made to buy them,That is an individual choise,as is the way they are ridden.
Remember the speed limits are made for everyone not just one group.Quite frankly when I hear some guy bragging of having done 200Kms with his girl friend on the back down the motorway.
I would be very happy to hear he had been caught on camera an banned from riding a bike for life.
Maybe the fact I have a Dauhter myself colours my opinion on that one.Not all the bikes Iv,e owned have been slow,but Iv,e yet to get pinged for speeding,Iv,e got done for a couple of other things but speeding seems to be the eazyest to avoid.
It sure seems the problem is with the rider,not the bike an not the law.Hey at lest in NZ radar detectors are still legal.
I know if I buy another fast bike that will be the first thing I buy for it.

:)

James Deuce
2nd December 2003, 13:02
Good points dude.

I tpped my wife off my RG400 12 years ago and broke her ankle - at 50kh/m on DIESEL :argh:

I STILL feel guilty.

How good would you feel if you turned your model girlfriend into a circus freak by introducing body to tarmac at 200km/h???

Never understand those guys when I see them. The girlfirend usually has a moldy 10 year old FFM (no aspersions on current quality) on, a nylon jacket (with hood acting as mini neck strangling parachute), jeans, white high-heel F__k me boots and vinyl gloves. While dude riding has $1800 Arai, $2000 one piece Spidi leathers with back protector.... you get the picture.

I'm way more strict with myself on a bike in regard to speed than when I drive the car. I haven't had a speeding ticket ever (touch blimmin wood - the woodiest wooden wood stuff I can find!!!). I think the revenue gathering comes in when they stick a speed camera at the bottom of a 1in3 gradient 4 km long hill, or 200yds after a motorway ends. Other than that I don't really mind them so long as they make the stoopid people sit up and take notice of what's going on OUTSIDE their steel box.

Jim2

Motu
2nd December 2003, 14:12
I've never been a speed freak,I just don't slow down for corners....but I've always thought a fair cop was a fair cop - if you are speeding,well,you are speeding,excuses are pretty hard to find as far as I'm concerned.But a lot of speeding is done around town - like 60kph is stanard,and I do it too,I don't moan (much) when pipped,...and as Jim says,some of these cameras are put in places where speeding almost has to happen - the one removed from Richardson rd was a good example...on a hill,so you put on power to go up,to avoud speeding downhill you had to brake - drive normaly and you get pinged(if you didn't know it was there)

As for guys speeding with chicks on the back - the lowest of low scum...they really get me angry!

Car Dodger
2nd December 2003, 14:46
I had an incident with an Asian driver myself this morning,In Waiuku of all places

OK, whos been leaving Asians in Waiuku.
Look I know its a nice place to visit and have a picnic, but for Godsake, clean up after yourselves.

georgedubyabush
2nd December 2003, 20:05
Originally posted by Car Dodger
I had an incident with an Asian driver myself this morning,In Waiuku of all places

OK, whos been leaving Asians in Waiuku.
Look I know its a nice place to visit and have a picnic, but for Godsake, clean up after yourselves.

:eek: :whistle:

ouch

mangell6
2nd December 2003, 20:48
Jim2 wrote:

I tpped my wife off my RG400 12 years ago

And she still hasn't forgotten and reminders are always forth coming.:2thumbsup

Mike

James Deuce
2nd December 2003, 21:16
Originally posted by mangell6

And she still hasn't forgotten and reminders are always forth coming.:2thumbsup

Mike

mangell6----> :bash: <---- Jim2

smokiesam
2nd December 2003, 21:49
Hmmm reading all your comments on speeding brings me back yo my youth when I rode a RD 250. It only had one speed flat out the ticket count was very high to I learned how to walk for a while now 20 years later and going thru my second childhood or midlife crisis whatever you want to call it. I'm now the proud owner I a very young old GSX 750 ES and the speedo goes 180 kmh and not quite got there yet but its only been a week LOL.
Spend half as much on gear as I did on the bike so i guess I a little wiser even got the old boots out and gave them a polise.
I'm a volee fireman in central otago and we do pick up the pieces of a lot of asian drivers you wonder if its our roads or what but they would be half the accidents in our area. Enough shit for my first post so remember go easy on the old fart.
Sammie

Sharkey
3rd December 2003, 07:08
Amen Jackrat.

Sharkey
3rd December 2003, 07:08
Amen Jackrat.

scumdog
4th December 2003, 08:38
Smokiesam, see your'e at Cromwell (North Islanders can't figure how it ends up being pronounced Cromill)
Are you planning to go to the B.R.O.N.Z. rally at Galloway near Alex at Waitangi weekend? might catch up with you there and have an ale or bourbon or whatever
Cheers, Scumdog.