PDA

View Full Version : Is a DR200 quick

Ivan
14th June 2005, 19:19
Hi am buying a DR200 and wondering if it is quick for trail rides and the occasional motard race

Paul in NZ
14th June 2005, 19:49
Quick is not often a word associated with DR200's.... Or at least the one I rode last week... Nice (ish) bike but not quick!

Cary
14th June 2005, 19:50
No is the short answer

Motu
14th June 2005, 20:53
An XR200 will clean it up - but the only thing restricting the speed of a DR200 is the riders ability,you can over ride these things beyond the capability of frame,suspension,brakes and tyres - a shit load of fun I reckon.

Ivan
14th June 2005, 21:37
Yeah im quick on a bike when I get used to it and manfield is my home track it will get carved up there maybe Taupo it would do alright will set it up for knee draging technique. Scrape the knees like Slighty does lol

clint640
15th June 2005, 10:33
Oh yeah man, a DR200 is a supermoto weapon, in fact just recently I was out on one in the Nationals, I had Slight & the top guys real worried until the carburettor belts broke & I ran out of blinker fluid.
Seriously, have you seen the FXR150's in the 150 class? It would be like that only slower.
For a trailbike however, as long as you aren't a big aggressive rider you'll have heaps of fun. But not quick fun.

Cheers
Clint

Oscar
15th June 2005, 13:02
Johnny Forsyth used to run a DR200 in National Enduro's. Not quick but nippy.

Edit: If yer gonna take one off-road, remove the countershaft sprocket cover. I remember several derailing chains due to gunge buildup....

F5 Dave
16th June 2005, 10:05
Oh yeah man, a DR200 is a supermoto weapon, in fact just recently I was out on one in the Nationals, I had Slight & the top guys real worried until the carburettor belts broke & I ran out of blinker fluid.
. . .

Clint, first I laughed & laughed, then I realised my ethical dilemma as I am forced to steal this from you & use it as my own in polite conversation. I’m sure you’ll understand. :rofl:

vifferman
16th June 2005, 10:10
You're just very lucky you didn't have any problems with the muffler bearings, as I've heard that can be dangerous on them there bikes. :yes:

Timber020
18th June 2005, 16:47
We had one on the farm that had a screwed valve, mate used a modified lawnmower valve. Worked for a year. Then died.

Fast no, able to take a hiding, fer sure.

XTC
18th June 2005, 17:22
The DR200 is quick! well quicker than my daughters tricycle... :rofl:

justsomeguy
18th June 2005, 17:46
Ever thought of a test ride??? Easiest way to find out.:whistle:

Jackrat
18th June 2005, 19:44
I thought the DR was more comfortable and handled better,but wasn't as fast as my XR.
Given that a GOOD rider would clean me up on a DR.

Wellyman
18th June 2005, 19:47
Supermotard eh! I wouldn't try that but it would be a good reliable trail bike and not hard at all to ride.

Ivan
5th July 2005, 20:13
Ok I got it on Thursdy and took it out to the local sandtrack out the lake Fuk wen u cane it, it can go. I am used to a thing called grip our road bikes have it. The first time i went around a berm I thought I was going to be on my ass. Well I'll tell you its alot of fun currently we are about to make a new machine a RM80 framed XL185 motor running my car coby until we buy a proper exhaust system lol

DingDong
5th July 2005, 20:25
Hi am buying a DR200 and wondering if it is quick for trail rides and the occasional motard race
As long as its quick enough for you... its quick enough :yes:

These guys are just poking fun at you because you want to go motard racing on it... you'll get run over if you do, its like telling them you'll run a 12 at the drags on it, Im sure they have good intentions [?].

It's fast enough to kill you, thats fast :devil2:

crazyxr250rider
5th July 2005, 20:31
Ok I got it on Thursdy and took it out to the local sandtrack out the lake Fuk wen u cane it, it can go. I am used to a thing called grip our road bikes have it. The first time i went around a berm I thought I was going to be on my ass. Well I'll tell you its alot of fun currently we are about to make a new machine a RM80 framed XL185 motor running my car coby until we buy a proper exhaust system lol
if you recon a dr200 is fast you had better stay off YZF`s CRF-R`s RMZ`s KXF`s And any husabeg VOR or Tm you`d probably get piss in the air box and that would be a waist :rofl:
And what waist of a RM frame no matter what way you look at it 2 valve four strokes lack power unless they have a good carby and a h comp piston
anything above 9.5:1-an thas pitty rare

crazyxr250rider
6th July 2005, 15:09
do you actually own a bike Your rs125 should go twice as fast as the dr
if so why is it such a big thing

Motu
6th July 2005, 15:26
I used to ride my XR200 on the dirt track,sometimes we'd have up to 8 XR200s racing at a time (all the young guys had an XR200 back then) it was a shit load of fun...pushing these things at 110%,there was absolutly nothing between the bikes,the only way to pass another bike was to just run them off the track.Dunno - maybe I'm wierd...but riding something that hard is way more fun than a bike that you have to control the throttle on so you don't loop,spin out or otherwise spear off into the bushes.

spiller
6th July 2005, 15:44
I used to ride my XR200 on the dirt track,sometimes we'd have up to 8 XR200s racing at a time (all the young guys had an XR200 back then) it was a shit load of fun...pushing these things at 110%,there was absolutly nothing between the bikes,the only way to pass another bike was to just run them off the track.Dunno - maybe I'm wierd...but riding something that hard is way more fun than a bike that you have to control the throttle on so you don't loop,spin out or otherwise spear off into the bushes.

lol definitely fun... my second bike was a 82 xr200, and you can easily ride above the bikes ability in almost any situation.. twist the throttle and go! :ride:

crazyxr250rider
6th July 2005, 15:48
I disagree aslong as you know how to ride a kdx might have just as much ability to be canned beyond the bikes capability

crazyxr250rider
6th July 2005, 15:52
lol definitely fun... my second bike was a 82 xr200, and you can easily ride above the bikes ability in almost any situation.. twist the throttle and go! :ride:
just dont see the reason people find 200 four stokes fun thare so slow

Motu
6th July 2005, 15:57
You must be such a fantastic rider - but for us mere mortals they are a hoot!

spiller
6th July 2005, 15:58
Dude I was 11 years old!!!!!!! :scooter:

just dont see the reason people find 200 four stokes fun thare so slow

Motu
6th July 2005, 16:16
I was 41,but I have had a long childhood...still waiting for childhoods end so I can join you big boys in serious riding...

Ixion
6th July 2005, 16:24
I was 41,but I have had a long childhood...still waiting for childhoods end so I can join you big boys in serious riding...

If you time things right you can jump straight from a prolonged first childhood straight into an early second childhood, and you never have to be a boring mature adult. Highly recommended. Adults are no fun.

crazyxr250rider
6th July 2005, 16:39
You must be such a fantastic rider - but for us mere mortals they are a hoot!
compared to who-i am mortal just no reason to live apart from bikes and speed

crazyxr250rider
6th July 2005, 16:41
a very young 11?
or were your mum and dad afraid youd breack every bone in your body
im happy to say i havent
and ive only brocken teeth and chipped my sholder socket

spiller
6th July 2005, 16:55
a very young 11?
or were your mum and dad afraid youd breack every bone in your body
im happy to say i havent
and ive only brocken teeth and chipped my sholder socket

Did you get out the wrong side a bed this morning mate?? Or are ya always this cheerfull?

Ere' av-a :drinkup:

badlieutenant
6th July 2005, 17:04
I disagree aslong as you know how to ride a kdx might have just as much ability to be canned beyond the bikes capability
someone say kdx ??? huh ?
even my one ?? :D actually it would eat a dr200 without trying :D
fun bikes tho.

crazyxr250rider
6th July 2005, 17:46
someone say kdx ??? huh ?
even my one ?? :D actually it would eat a dr200 without trying :D
fun bikes tho.
thats what i mean why can a bike at slow speed when you can cane a bike at ridiculous speeds

crazyxr250rider
6th July 2005, 17:48
thanks forb the :drinkup: spiller :puke: a bit stong though

Kickaha
6th July 2005, 17:59
thats what i mean why can a bike at slow speed when you can cane a bike at ridiculous speeds

Because riding a slow bike as hard as you can (especially against faster bikes)teaches you better riding skills than something with more HP

NordieBoy
6th July 2005, 19:11
An XR200 can be pushed by anyone.
The more you push it the more fun it is.
A good pilot will make one keep up with 500cc bikes around a muddy mx track and be having far more fun.
You can't compare an XR200 and KDX200 as the XR has less than half the power and also less than half the suspension, it's apples and oranges.

There's no way I would ride a KDX200 for fun as I don't like 2 stoke powerbands, I like smooth power.

I'm a novice (nobber) rider and I don't like surprises.

Some people don't like to cane a bike at ridiculous speeds.
Caning them at moderate to fast speeds is fine :D

DingDong
6th July 2005, 19:25
I remember 11, most of my mates had RM80's and I had a YZ250... not one of these panzzie "kick in stages" ones either... my Dad put a skinnier tank on it so I could sit up on it under power... wheeelly good fun.
At the same age I had a DR125 too... I had just as much fun on that albeit slower, I also had a CR185 (four stoke trials) and also tons of fun... when your young, anything with two wheels made you drool :devil2:

crazyxr250rider
6th July 2005, 20:02
An XR200 can be pushed by anyone.
The more you push it the more fun it is.
A good pilot will make one keep up with 500cc bikes around a muddy mx track and be having far more fun.
You can't compare an XR200 and KDX200 as the XR has less than half the power and also less than half the suspension, it's apples and oranges.

There's no way I would ride a KDX200 for fun as I don't like 2 stoke powerbands, I like smooth power.

Some people don't like to cane a bike at ridiculous speeds.
Caning them at moderate to fast speeds is fine :D
Give or take i have only had two smokers up till now

crazyxr250rider
6th July 2005, 20:09
I remember 11, most of my mates had RM80's and I had a YZ250... not one of these panzzie "kick in stages" ones either... my Dad put a skinnier tank on it so I could sit up on it under power... wheeelly good fun.
At the same age I had a DR125 too... I had just as much fun on that albeit slower, I also had a CR185 (four stoke trials) and also tons of fun... when your young, anything with two wheels made you drool :devil2:
mate guess how old i actualy are right now:p
reason i don have a biger bike is cause i arent allowed any thing over 250four
or 125 two i wanted to get a 400 but " YOULL BLOODY KILL YOUR SELLF BOY"
was the answer

Kickaha
6th July 2005, 21:01

KDX200 has quite a linear power delivery, you wouldn't get any suprises from it and they're fairly easy to ride

NordieBoy
6th July 2005, 21:06
2 x Gilera Nordwests (of course :D)
1 x 1979 XR250z Classic MX'er
2/3 x kdx200/kx125/xr250 mogrel project bike.

And I want more MORE MORE!!! bwa ha ha ha :D