PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for a waterblaster?

Winston001
11th December 2010, 22:45
I'm thinking about getting a new waterblaster for general use. Paths, house, tractor, anything really. I've had an electric Karcher which delivers about 8litre/minute at 1700psi. That seems the minimum waterflow to do a good job. The best thing about the Karcher is the Dirtblaster lance which has a rotating needle jet that would almost cut the skin. Very effective.

Anyway I can't decide between another electric model or a petrol machine. Here are two options although there are plenty more:

http://www.karcher.co.nz/nz/Products/House__Garden/Consumer_Outdoor/K6_high_pressure_washers/13978000.htm

http://www.mitre10mega.co.nz/shop/power_garden_tools/waterblasters/karcher_waterblaster_petrol_267172/

I'm also considering a Husky 3000psi for $1000.

nadroj
11th December 2010, 23:39
2000psi is ample for around the home otherwise you will do too much damage too easily. Honda or Robin motor driving through a reduction gearbox with a ceramic piston brass pump is best.
Put a bigger holed tip in for doing general work like paths etc.

LBD
12th December 2010, 01:09
Funny that...I am shopping for a waterblaster at the moment as well....maybe we could hit Calders up for a discount if we buy 2...?

You may want to de tune yours a little for around the house...

http://www.calderltd.com/

shafty
12th December 2010, 03:04
I've got a Karcher with a Honda powering it - being petrol means you can use it where no electricity is available.

Field Days is a good place to check them all out but....I came back to a known brand....

meteor
12th December 2010, 05:40
You're talking about some serious firepower there. I've got a karcher because a mate had one and his is about 18 years old and still going strong. Mine is about 15 months old and already returned for repair. I use it for about an hour once every 2 or 3 weeks to wash the dirt bikes so not heaps of use. Even the best 'known' brands have their problems eh!

Dave Lobster
12th December 2010, 07:11
We've got a cheap Karcher one. It was about $120. I expected it to last a year.. four years on it's still going strong. It's used for general use by me, and my landscaper neighbour borrows it for a few days a month to jetwash a deck or two.

I don't know what the flow rate is on it. It's not powerful enough to remove some of the shit underneath wheelarches.. but it IS powerful enough to remove stickers from bikes.

ajturbo
12th December 2010, 09:27
you should be looking at what the PUMP can handle....

ie: your 7lt/min is about what i can piss after a hard night on it...

you should be aiming for something that can handle around 12-15lt/min...

2500-3000psi.... remember, you should be able to adjust the PRESSURE for the job at hand...

The "turbo" head is NOT good for cleaning bikes.... :facepalm:

nadroj
12th December 2010, 11:30
As a guide to what is reliable go & have a look around a few hire places to see what sort they run, unless you are looking for bells & whistles.
Too much pressure = too much damage especially on wooden decks or concrete paths. The pressure takes the sand out of the top layer of concrete & pit's the surface. The only way to minimise it is to use a greater angle.
Around 12-15 lpm is a good size for general work.

The Stranger
12th December 2010, 13:23
Even the best 'known' brands have their problems eh!

Looking at your avatar one can only assume you'd be used to that by now.

Too bad you're going to have to put up with all the engine, diff and transmission oil on your drive now.

John_H
12th December 2010, 14:25
Go for a petrol waterblaster no less than 2000psi, 2.5-3 would be best. There is a regulator on them you can turn them down if needed.

Winston001
12th December 2010, 21:40
Funny that...I am shopping for a waterblaster at the moment as well....maybe we could hit Calders up for a discount if we buy 2...?

You may want to de tune yours a little for around the house...

http://www.calderltd.com/

Crikey Paul, that's a tad overkill dontcha reckon?? :shit:

Too much pressure = too much damage especially on wooden decks or concrete paths. The pressure takes the sand out of the top layer of concrete & pit's the surface. The only way to minimise it is to use a greater angle.
Around 12-15 lpm is a good size for general work.

I appreciate it is easy to blast concrete paths/driveways into oblivion so what I normally do is hold the gun up so it isn't full force. There are plenty of warnings about too much pressure but the answer is to stand back and adjust your position.

I think consumer buyers are too easily impressed by psi/bar, when water flow is actually more important. You could probably drill through a weatherboard with a $200 machine but you'd work all day to clean a path because the blast width is so small.

There are various Chinese petrol blasters available for $500+. I'm told they have plastic pumps which just outlast the warranty. :facepalm: Apparently the best type of pump is a CAT but in my price range they generally have axial pumps. As long as they are aluminium or partly brass, should be ok.