PDA

View Full Version : TAC Christmas safety ad

bogan
13th December 2010, 09:10
Tis the season to stay in control, so here's some extra motivation.

can't figure out how to embed the fucker so here's a link (http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8)

Maybe not one to watch while eating, it's pretty brutal.

Katman
13th December 2010, 10:07
The words at the beginning of that ad are particularly noteworthy.

"That year the road toll was 776. 20 years on it has fallen to 303" is
positive enough.

But even more so, the sentence that follows "there is still a long way to go" shows a belief that accidents should not be seen as acceptable or simply as collateral damage.

No matter how much we reduce the road toll we should be constantly striving to reduce it even further.

Dave Lobster
13th December 2010, 10:49
No matter how much we reduce the road toll we should be constantly striving to reduce it even further.

Why? Do you really think that zero is achievable?
Or that there's a way to stop drunk pedestrians crossing in front of vehicles?

Katman
13th December 2010, 11:51
Why? Do you really think that zero is achievable?

Realistically? No.

But how many road deaths per year do you think we should be 'happy' with?

50? 100?

And should the families of those 100 be happy that their loved one featured in the lowest road toll to date?

bogan
13th December 2010, 12:03
Realistically? No.

How many road deaths per year do you think we should be 'happy' with?

I'd be happy if the idiots only took themselves out, rather than innocents in other cars/bikes/pedestrians.

Dave Lobster
13th December 2010, 13:28
Realistically? No.

But how many road deaths per year do you think we should be 'happy' with?

50? 100?

And should the families of those 100 be happy that their loved one featured in the lowest road toll to date?

I'd be happy if it were a thousand a year. If those thousand were little shits that steal/tag/sell drugs/etc. Or if they were drunk pedestrians that walk out in front of traffic. If the figure is made up of people doing stupid things that do not affect anyone else, does it really matter what the figure is?

Scuba_Steve
13th December 2010, 13:47
I'd be happy if the idiots only took themselves out, rather than innocents in other cars/bikes/pedestrians.

true that :yes:

Katman
13th December 2010, 13:57
I'd be happy if it were a thousand a year. If those thousand were little shits that steal/tag/sell drugs/etc. Or if they were drunk pedestrians that walk out in front of traffic. If the figure is made up of people doing stupid things that do not affect anyone else, does it really matter what the figure is?

You'll get no argument from me on that one.

But stupid people doing stupid things aren't the only ones that make up those stats.

Dave Lobster
13th December 2010, 14:03
But stupid people doing stupid things aren't the only ones that make up those stats.

It would be interesting to see how many are/aren't without any of the figures being massaged to suit someone's political agenda.

GOONR
13th December 2010, 15:31
Excuse the dreadful pun but that is a big impact ad, and more in kin of what I would like to see rather than the mild "it's in blood" kinda crap we get now.

MadDuck
13th December 2010, 17:56
Maybe not one to watch while eating, it's pretty brutal.

You are not wrong there. What a HUGE ad. I would like to see them run something like that here but cant see it happening.

avgas
13th December 2010, 18:01
hell yes.
technically speaking that means there is 0.0000000625 % chances of 2 people dying in the same family.

thats progress baby:woohoo:

Berries
13th December 2010, 22:27
Bloody good ad. Shows what you can do if you have 5 minutes to build the story. I've always thought shock was the only way to get people to change their thinking, but TPTB don't necessarily agree with that approach. Then again, they'd simply say that I was not part of the target audience.

Shame about the music though. REM always makes me want to top myself.

It would be interesting to see how many are/aren't without any of the figures being massaged to suit someone's political agenda.
Generally speaking, it is the stupid people who cause the crashes. The sad thing is the number of innocents who get caught up in the event.