PDA

View Full Version : 3G network, can someone explain?

Brian d marge
13th December 2010, 17:22
Ok
In a nut shell my download speeds on the phone is 0.2Mbps The phone android 2.2 HTC desire HD is capable up to 14 Mbps on a 3g network

Now not expecting much , but I would like to view you-tube ...esp as its bundled/advertised and generally touted as " you can"

but with 0.2Mbps ,, "I cant "

So I ring up help desk

She tells me, I need a pocket wifi device , which has up to 7 Mbps and will be super fast

but hang on says I, isn't pocket wifi , a device that uses the 3g network , then wifi to your phone ?

Am I missing something , or are they trying to sell me the same service twice but in a different wrapping?

and why is the 3G so slow , what causes it to be slow

hope someone can enlighten me !

King Regards Stephen

SMOKEU
13th December 2010, 17:24
I can watch Youtube videos just fine on my XT phone.

Brian d marge
13th December 2010, 17:29
I can watch Youtube videos just fine on my XT phone.

Sorry i fogot , im not in NZ ( this is one for the books , Japan who has the reputation of being tech savvy , is actually way behind , even NZ ! :shit:)

Stephen

avgas
13th December 2010, 18:27
Actually also its overpriced.
I found things in Akihabara (sp?) about twice what I would pay in NZ.
Tech wise anyway.

And the Maid cafe has like a massive queue!!!

It was kinda fail, I felt sad so I took the Yamanote back to Ikebukuro and drowned my sorrows in Sapporo.

SMOKEU
13th December 2010, 19:20
Japan who has the reputation of being tech savvy , is actually way behind , even NZ ! :shit:)

You're taking the piss, right?

The Everlasting
13th December 2010, 19:39
Sorry i fogot , im not in NZ ( this is one for the books , Japan who has the reputation of being tech savvy , is actually way behind , even NZ ! :shit:)

Stephen

Hmmm,that doesn't sound right.........

steve_t
13th December 2010, 19:47
Isn't Japan gonna be the first with 4G? I wonder if they can restrict phone 3G speeds and force people to get add on devices. Best u ask someone in Japan rather than here me thinks

rwh
13th December 2010, 19:48
King Regards Stephen

Well, that's a reasonable summary I suppose.

But 'Good King Wenceslas looked out on the Feast of Stephen' fits the music much better, and includes a few extra useful details.

Happy Christmas.

Richard

Brian d marge
14th December 2010, 00:33
Not taking the Micheal at all

Just want to know why 3G can be so slow ?

As for 4 g!! its will be the same turtle painted in a different color and called a funky name

What I cant understand , is how a phone that has 3g is slower than pocket wifi which as far as I can understand , is the same thing , 3g to the device then wifi to phone ( the Same phone )

Stephen

Brian d marge
14th December 2010, 00:38
You're taking the piss, right?

Nope

My Internet is ,,,,advertised as 100 Mbps , I actually get

drum roll

27 Mbps locally and ,,,,,

1.5 internationally

I think NZ gets 3 Mbps international or sumink like that

Oh and yes its not cheap either

Stephen

but there are a hell a lot of slutty tarts all dressed in Maid costumes ,,,,, The only country in the world where the prostitutes wear suits and the good girls look like slut

Hell yeah :woohoo:

rwh
14th December 2010, 00:51
Just want to know why 3G can be so slow ?

Why it can be might be easier to answer than why it is.

It could be that their upstream connection doesn't have enough bandwidth to cope with all the users. That's almost always the case, really - customer bandwidth is what you're advertising, so you only upgrade the upstream bit when you have to.

What I cant understand , is how a phone that has 3g is slower than pocket wifi which as far as I can understand , is the same thing , 3g to the device then wifi to phone ( the Same phone )

That sounds more like a salesperson who doesn't understand the problem, or the system they're selling. Or just hoping you'll spend more money and go away.

My Internet is ,,,,advertised as 100 Mbps , I actually get

drum roll

27 Mbps locally and ,,,,,

1.5 internationally

I think NZ gets 3 Mbps international or sumink like that

27 doesn't sound that bad to me - especially at peak times. 1.5 is a bit bad - but then one issue in Asia is that most of the content the customers want is in their own language, and hence local - so international bandwidth is probably a lower priority.

Richard

jonbuoy
14th December 2010, 00:59
Same in Europe, depends on how many users are using the same cell - if your in a "busy" zone in peak times 3G can crawl. Doubt your phone is the problem, they definitely packet shape - you tube is probably pretty low on the list.

Brian d marge
14th December 2010, 03:31
Why it can be might be easier to answer than why it is.

It could be that their upstream connection doesn't have enough bandwidth to cope with all the users. That's almost always the case, really - customer bandwidth is what you're advertising, so you only upgrade the upstream bit when you have to.

That sounds more like a salesperson who doesn't understand the problem, or the system they're selling. Or just hoping you'll spend more money and go away.

27 doesn't sound that bad to me - especially at peak times. 1.5 is a bit bad - but then one issue in Asia is that most of the content the customers want is in their own language, and hence local - so international bandwidth is probably a lower priority.

Richard

spend more money and go away sounds about right

some good points there, I didnt consider local language .. but call me old fashioned but if you call it a spade it must a least look like a spade

and yes , hidden in the contract , in Kanji I didnt recognise ,,,is .. screw u or best effort if u are a marketing man

thanks all

Stephen

Brian d marge
14th December 2010, 03:34
oh btw

27 Mbps is rubbish ....60 is awusum

but it costs

bastards

Stephen

Suntoucher
19th December 2010, 14:35
Is your phone supporting the 3G bands?(Would explain the addon box).

eg, here in NZ XT uses 850/2100mhz, Vodafone uses 900/2100mhz and 2Degrees only has 2100mhz. Although 2100mhz is only Auckland/Wellington and Christchurch. Outside of those, if you're on Vodafone and don't have 900mhz support you're stuck on GSM. And if you're on XT and don't have 850 you lose signal entirely.

Else if you only have 850, then you get relatively slow speeds(although faster than GSM) on XT everywhere, but don't get the high speed 2100mhz band.

Find out what bands your mobile provider is using as the Desire HD can support 900/2100mhz.