PDA

View Full Version : Washing a textile jacket

FlyingDutchMan
15th June 2005, 11:15
Its has come to my attention (more to my nose than anything else) that my Orina textile motorcycle jacket is starting to smell... badly. Its only been noticable since the brass monkey. Since I've put the washing instructions in a safe place (i.e. lost) I'm wondering what I'm meant to do. So any info about washing/drying and waterproofing would be very muchly apperciated.

vifferman
15th June 2005, 11:27
Remove any armour, linings, etc, then wash it with SnoSeal Sportwash (available from Motohaus, most bike shops, or a ski shop). You can do it by hand in the tub or bath, or chuck it in the machine. (Yes - really). Spin it dry in the machine then air dry it.If it's breathable fabric, then that's all you need to do. If it's not, then pick your favourite waterproofer (Scotchgard or whatever) and spray it till it's saturated, then repeat when dry. Two cans should do.

MikeL
15th June 2005, 11:28
They can be washed successfully but don't use ordinary washing powder. There's a special liquid available (can't remember what it's called - got a bottle of it at home) and I think they recommend hand washing rather than machine. Take out liner, armour etc. first, then after washing drip-dry.

MikeL
15th June 2005, 11:30
Sno-seal Sportwash - that's the one. Thanks Ian...

FlyingDutchMan
15th June 2005, 13:02
Cheers for that, I'll be getting onto it tonight.

erik
15th June 2005, 13:33
the people at motomail told me that it jackets etc with the waterproof breathable membranes shouldn't be washed in a washing machine, because the machine might damage the membrane.

There's some other stuff, Nikwax Tech Wash that's supposed to be similar to the Snoseal stuff.

vifferman
15th June 2005, 13:37
the people at motomail told me that it jackets etc with the waterproof breathable membranes shouldn't be washed in a washing machine, because the machine might damage the membrane.
Well, the last two times I washed my Teknic jacket I did it in the machine, because it's now a Cordura/Kevlar/Leather hybrid, so breathability is irrelevant whereas waterproofing isn't.

Oh - by the way: I tried some of that SnoSeal heat-activated waterproofing stuff for breathable fabrics, and it made my jacket LESS waterproof. :mad:

erik
15th June 2005, 13:43
Well, the last two times I washed my Teknic jacket I did it in the machine, because it's now a Cordura/Kevlar/Leather hybrid, so breathability is irrelevant whereas waterproofing isn't.

Oh - by the way: I tried some of that SnoSeal heat-activated waterproofing stuff for breathable fabrics, and it made my jacket LESS waterproof. :mad:
It's the breathable membrane that makes the jacket waterproof. If it gets damaged (eg ripped) it will be more breathable, but less waterproof...

Personally, I haven't had any luck trying to make jackets or pants more waterproof by using Gecko Guard, Watersheild, sealing the seams with one of those glue seam sealing things, or washing with Tech Wash. I ended up just getting new, better quality gear.

But if all you want to do is clean your gear, the Sportwash or Tech Wash should work nicely.

FlyingDutchMan
15th June 2005, 16:17
Well after going to the shop, the only SnoSeal I found was for leather. So instead I got me some gecko guard. So I'll wash my jacket in warm water (this apparently does remove the water proofing, but also restores the breathability by cleaning the liner). Then spary with the water repellent to restore the water proofing, let it hang round for a couple of days, and seemingly it should be clean, smell better, breath better and be water proof. I'll wait and see to check if thats all true.

wkid_one
15th June 2005, 21:38
So long as the washing liquid is detergent free - you should be fine. I would re-waterproof it afterwards as well

Pixie
15th June 2005, 23:52
Well after going to the shop, the only SnoSeal I found was for leather. So instead I got me some gecko guard. So I'll wash my jacket in warm water (this apparently does remove the water proofing, but also restores the breathability by cleaning the liner). Then spary with the water repellent to restore the water proofing, let it hang round for a couple of days, and seemingly it should be clean, smell better, breath better and be water proof. I'll wait and see to check if thats all true.
The membranes are semi-porous expanded PTFE or polyurethane materials,if you use the wrong detergent they will leak,soap included.
It must be a detergent that does not leave a residue,Sportwash or the Nik wax equivalent

Pixie
15th June 2005, 23:54
So long as the washing liquid is detergent free - you should be fine. I would re-waterproof it afterwards as well
What kind of washing liquid is "detergent free"?

FlyingDutchMan
16th June 2005, 08:34
Nah I've just used purely warm water. Does quite a good job. Now to wait for the thing to dry then spary coat it & wait another couple of days for that to dry....

Ms Piggy
16th June 2005, 09:24
I've always used Sportswash - as recomended by LB. I don't wash in the washing machine though, just give it a soak in the bath. Sno SEal is definitely for leather, a water proofing agent but sportswash is a cleaner for textiles. If you use Gecko Guard make sure you have a few days to hang your jacket for it to dry, when I used it I had to use my jacket the next day and it hadn't 'cured'.

FlyingDutchMan
17th June 2005, 15:01
Well washed, dried & gecko guarded. Now just have to wait for that curing peroid. Hopefully it doesn't rain.

Podo
18th June 2005, 10:04
Being a bit of a Jew I use 'her indoors' stuff I find in the laundry ie 'Softly' wool wash, I hand wash in the bath twice then soak for about half an hour, once dry apply 2 spray coats of Scotch Guard heavy duty water repellant. The liners are put through the washing washine using household stuff. All available from the super market at half the cost of the bike accessory shops and works a treat.

Steam
1st April 2007, 13:26
Wow, I just washed my jacket with Nikwax Techwash I got from the bike shop for $19, and now my jacket is some colour I can't quite describe... some colour that is not dirt coloured. It's a... clean colour... I suppose would be the best way of puttinig it. wow.
Anyway, highly recommended to all, although a little expensive. The bottle will last three washes or so, so that's about $6 per wash, good for every six months.

Just thought this thread warranted a ressurrection.

Macktheknife
1st April 2007, 13:56
And you dragged up a 2 year old thread to tell us this why?

Steam
1st April 2007, 14:03
And you dragged up a 2 year old thread to tell us this why?

Because I had to do a search to find tips and advice on how to wash my stinky jacket and even more stinky pants, and the noobs (myself included) will be interested in what advice people have about it.
It's not like Renegade Master's resurrection of the Site Stuff from 4 years ago, this one is still relevant.

Macktheknife
1st April 2007, 14:06
Because I had to do a search to find tips and advice on how to wash my stinky jacket and even more stinky pants, and the noobs (myself included) will be interested in what advice people have about it.
It's not like Renegade Master's resurrection of the Site Stuff from 4 years ago, this one is still relevant.

Fair call, good onya steam.

Steam
1st April 2007, 14:11
Fair call, good onya steam.

But I shoulda known you wouldn't have any use for a thread on cleaning, ya blaady stinky dwarf! Still got Elrond's curry in ya beard, don'tcha!?

Macktheknife
1st April 2007, 17:02
But I shoulda known you wouldn't have any use for a thread on cleaning, ya blaady stinky dwarf! Still got Elrond's curry in ya beard, don'tcha!?

Is that what that is????
Whew, what a relief!

90s
3rd April 2007, 11:00
Hmmm, according to my Dryriders care instructions you should not re-waterproof jacket after a wash - indeed this would invalidate your guarentee etc.

Having said that I washed (handwash, no detergents) my Dryriders and now it leaks like a seive. I shall be taking it back to cycletreads today.

Does this always happen even without detergent?

Steam
3rd April 2007, 11:10
Hmmm, according to my Dryriders care instructions you should not re-waterproof jacket after a wash - indeed this would invalidate your guarentee etc.

Having said that I washed (handwash, no detergents) my Dryriders and now it leaks like a seive. I shall be taking it back to cycletreads today.

Tell us how you got on with a refund/ exchange. I know my local bike shops wouldn't be happy with accepting back a jacket and giving a refund.

Toaster
23rd September 2007, 13:55

Time for a 'Steam Clean'.

McDuck
17th October 2007, 22:58
i think i will just not wash said gear, just the liners.....