PDA

View Full Version : BMW R1200GSA: Ohlins or ESA?

Gremlin
16th December 2010, 18:25
That is the point of this thread.

Looking at a BMW R1200 GS Adventure, and an interesting point has come up. The experienced chap I had some time today with, from Experience, said, for my riding, yes, the Ohlins would greatly improve certain aspects over stock, high speed damping etc. Cost to fit a bike out front and rear he estimated around $3k (or was that rear only... who knows).

BMW also has the ESA option, which is obviously Electronic Suspension Adjustment, that package is $1200.

So the question is... which would give better performance? The ESA allows on the fly adjustment for different terrain... not quite so easy for Ohlins, but Ohlins has a wider adjustment range for stuff like preload, than the stock shock has...

Didn't actually get an answer from the fella which would be better... ESA or Ohlins. He probably can't answer either, given that he is in a BMW shop. :innocent:

edit: Assume you have the choice. I remember he pointed out you wouldn't remove ESA from an ESA equipped bike, because of all the sensors. So assume you're buying a bike that has ESA, or buying one without, and putting Ohlins in...

gunnyrob
16th December 2010, 20:47
Hi Gremlin, I have had no worries from the stock shock on the GS. If I went for a new bike I'd go for the ESA as it's a pain in the arse having to stop & break out C spanners when I'm about to hit or come out of gravel.

Robert Taylor
16th December 2010, 21:19
Ohlins have a hydraulic preload adjuster on the rear shock, quick and easy and no need of c spanners. But its also not only about ease of external adjustment. you can have all the external adjustments in the world but they dont magically internally revalve a shock or instal a high flow piston thats more friendly to our high proportion of bumpy and challenging roads.
Thats where Ohlins really shine through because its all about the internals and weve actually fitted more than a few units to R1200GS and Adventure with very very happy customers. Superb ride height and chassis pitch control but also greatly improved ride comfort
E-mail to me at robert@crownkiwi.co.nz to clarify price for the pair and options. Weve recently renegotiated with Ohlins and have had some meaningful price realignments. That combined with NZ customs getting tougher on applying GST and charges to more private and parallell imports means that there is no advantage anymore in purchasing offshore or putting up with no service from a parallell importer. We provide a high level of backup as the appointed NZ distributor for Ohlins. I am away until Sunday but can reply after then

Gremlin
16th December 2010, 21:51
Don't worry Robert, importing a shock isn't on my list. I ask a lot from bikes, and when a bike costs that much, putting crap suspension on to complete it is crazy. The appeal of ESA is heading onto gravel and with a flick of a switch its more suited to gravel. It is necessary? Well setup Ohlins would be just fine. Stock isn't for me, not after WP on my KTM. I presume the ohlins still has a lot of travel?

If you remember Felix, he's bought a few shocks from you, one is in the Hornet, so I know ohlins is good stuff indeed. :D

Devil
18th December 2010, 18:27
The stock shock is 'good' if you're solo. Try it first.
However as soon as you start piling some weight on it, it cant handle the jandal.

Fitting the ohlins to the rear of my GSA has made two up, loaded trips much more enjoyable and well controlled. Unfortunately it's too heavily sprung for my solo work (errr which is 95% of my riding), but that is entirely my fault and not Roberts because I never get around to doing anything about it despite running into him at race meets, bringing it up and then forgetting about it again because i'm too busy! :shutup:

The stock shock is nothing to sneer at, but only for solo riding.

Detlev
21st December 2010, 21:07
Ever thought about Wilbers shocks?Fitted one to my Aprilia Falco.Was the best mod i ever did.ASR suspensios in Australia are the sole importers .
Try this thread.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291497

AllanB
21st December 2010, 21:15
Can't help with the question but reading the OP it did ask me to question why the suspenders on a high end expensive bike designed for 'harsh' use require upgrading.

Indeed everything is built to a price.

Gremlin
21st December 2010, 23:39
I'd go with ohlins due to support, quality, warranty etc. I don't do average riding, so while it hurts the wallet, I'm happy to pay for quality, if it will keep me safer, allow the tyres to do a better job etc.

It turns out that the new R1200GS is not brought in as a base model, just the fully specc'd one, as apparently everyone buys that, so traction and stability control, ESA, ABS and kitchen sink. The stock suspension would probably suffice for normal work, but I would clock up a thousand km in a day, at pace, and expect the bike to handle full luggage as well. I've overheated good suspension before.

I would say that buying an non-ESA GS, ohlins would be good, but the ESA has a massive range of adjustment, with at least 18 settings!

Gremlin
22nd December 2010, 02:36
I've written a little review on the 2010 R1200GS I rode...

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/entry.php/1884-Test-Ride-2010-R1200GS