PDA

View Full Version : Info on imported cameras

DZL
3rd December 2003, 12:36
Hi all, does anybuddy have experience/knowledge pertinent to getting repairs done on cameras that are 'parallel imported', either privately or commercially?

Recently I have sussed that a camera I am interested in (Minolta Dimage A1) which retails around NZD2600 can be bought thru a private importer in NZ via TrademeNZ for around NZD1700, or if I buy one in from the US it works out around NZD1,100 + freight (& gst if 'requested') . . . which is going to be around 1/2 the NZ rrp.

Only catch I can see (except perhaps that the battery charger may be 110v AC) is that the warranty isnt worth a squirt here . . . but how often does a new digicam go faulty these daize eh?!

I suppose I orter ask Minolta NZ how I stand for repairs if I 'bring a camera back with me' etc . .. .. .

. . ..  anybody got some USEFUL input on this please?

Cheers

BrooC ;-))

marty
3rd December 2003, 13:47
if it breaks or needs repairs didn't you drop it off the bungee bridge at taupo/sky tower/mangaweka viaduct when you were taking pix of your mate?

DZL
3rd December 2003, 14:06
Well almost, except the 'Household Contents Replacement Value' policy has a $500 excess! Bang goes the savings!

;-))

SpankMe
3rd December 2003, 14:14
I was told that Sony have the serial numbers of all 'parallel imported' Sony equipment and they will refuse to touch it.

DZL
3rd December 2003, 14:57
.  . . & I can understand their position of course, but what about folks who buy a 'product' personally in Singers or Hongkers or Nippers or Noo York or somesuch while travelling on hols . . . surely ya must get lotsa cases of stuff that is a legit private purchase overseas but without an international warranty .. .

BrooC ;-)

Motu
3rd December 2003, 16:05
My digital camera died the day I bought it - with that sort of luck you need a warranty!

DZL
3rd December 2003, 16:19
I'm pleased to hear that you got that one Motu, they usually come lookin for me to die while new!

Hey, if anyones digicam takes the 4xAA Ni-mH batts, the latest Maruia cattledog is selling the Maka C401FS charger with 4 x2200maH batts for NZD79. These chargers are about the BEST ya can get & great at the price, I was gonna get one in from the US but post was gonna kill it coz the suppliers would only ship Fedex, which is too expensive . ..plus ya hadda get it with a 220v converter, whereas these ones come in the 220/240 already.

HTH

BrooC ;-)

ManDownUnder
7th December 2003, 10:59
DZL... I get up tot he US on a semi regular basis and if they can ship it to the hotel I am at then I'll chuck it in my bag and carry it home for ya...

I am based in Auckland but am a 'naki lad... and when I saw where you are from... who am I not to help??

Next trip possibly around Feb 2004 if that help.
MDU

DZL
7th December 2003, 11:14
Hey thats MIGHTY fine of ya to offer, but guess what ~ in the latest Maruia cattledog they have the buggers for sale. Best damn batt charger ya can buy plus 4 grunty Ni-mH AA's for NZD79, if ya use lotsa AA's in torches or radios or 'personal appliances' or whatever ya orter get ontpo one of these!

Mine arrived & I poked in 4 batts that were supposedly fully charged already on another charger, & the 401 poked another couple of hours of charge-time into em!

However, if ya wanted to bring in some Blendzall Gold Label Gas Additive ..  .. .. .

Cheers

Brooc ;-))

What?
8th December 2003, 07:05
Originally posted by DZL
I suppose I orter ask Minolta NZ how I stand for repairs if I 'bring a camera back with me' etc . .. .. .

. . ..  anybody got some USEFUL input on this please? 

Different companies have different attitudes to private / parrallel imports. You are on the mark - ask them.

Incidentally, those who refuse honour international warranties on gear not sold new in NZ may be in trouble with the Commerce Commission if you choose to make a complaint, and possibly the factory (just guessing on that one).

DZL
8th December 2003, 07:35
Yip, I figure I'll just ask a few of the NZ importer/distributor companies what happens if I buy a cam during a trip to Japan & US, how do I ensure warranty/repair etc back here later .. . . I dont have to tellem I'm thinking to just get it posted in .. .

If I was going to buy based on my 'website experience' I sure wooden be getting a Minolta-Konica ~ their NZ site is rathsit, barely got anything to do with cameras, nearly all copier stuff, & the usual marketing-hype bullshit instead of some specific model info . .. . . .

BrooC ;-))

What?
8th December 2003, 07:46
Some camera shop dudes have a pretty poor opinion of Minolta as well. Not the product, just the NZ agency.

Pentax is generally pretty good from my experience.

DZL
8th December 2003, 08:34
Yep, I was going to say Pentax & Canon are good, especially Canon ~ I've had GREAT service/backup from them ...  there was a 'firmware' update for my Canon G2 digicam that I found on an overseas site, I downloaded it but was kinda wary of doing the instal coz if ya had any kinda power wobble during the process ya could fritz the cameras brain severely it seems.

So, I emailed Canon NZ asking about it & the service manager didnt hesitate to say 'Send it straight to us & we'll do it for you, no charge'!

I reckon that THAT sort of thing is worth a whole lot more to a company than heaps of glossy marketing advert-blurb-dribble etc.

Consequently I'll be waiting for Canon to release a new model in the category I'm interested in .. .

CIAO

BrooC ;-))

lewises
9th December 2003, 14:24
These guys are the NZ agents for Minolta:

Phototronic Services (1995) Ltd
12 Taonui Street
P.O.Box 4534
Palmerston North
Phone/Fax:
Phone (06) 358 9085
Fax (06) 355 5446
E-mail:
sales@phototronic.co.nz
service@phototronic.co.nz
admin@phototronic.co.nz

Hope its of some use.

DZL
9th December 2003, 16:34
Ta for that, yep bloody useful, the local Minolta-Konica dealer was today only able to tell me that he 'thought' that Viko MIGHT be the people to see about Minolta cameras in NZ, doesnt exactly fill me woth confidence about em ... .  I'll phone your contact tomorrow for the next exciting episode!

BrooC ;-))