PDA

View Full Version : Honda RS750 (not THAT RS750)

HenryDorsetCase
19th December 2010, 21:34
This is pretty cool I reckon: I like these standard style bikes, and this is a really good looking one. I think we get the same motor in the VT750 (which I have ridden and had a surprisingly good time on) but this is chain drive:

http://powersports.honda.com/2011/shadow-rs.aspx

Competition for things like Triumph Bonnevilles, HD Sportsters and other standards.

I reckon its pretty cool.

Not that we see it here.

Started by looking at this thread on the kneeslider which is about custom ones done by Cobra's Denny Berg.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2010/12/18/cobra-builds-a-honda-scrambler-and-tracker-from-an-rs750-shadow/

they are MSRP in the US of $7700, but their economy is in the toilet: there is one on ebay for $6800 brand spankers and cash would talk. That would be a coooool bike for ten grand. OK, even $12. Of course by the time Blue Wing bring it in, when they realise they have nothing in their range at present to compete with the basic standards offered by other manufacturers (in 2014) they will try and sell them for $22000, they will sit there for three years unsold, then they will quit them at $15k.

If I was spending money on a bike out of the US, that is one I would consider, the other is the last of the VFR800's with the red/white/blue paintscheme, and the other is a Ryca CS1.

Motu
19th December 2010, 22:06
I've always liked the 750 Shadow best of all the Honda cruisers,and with the better riding position I like this one even better.

Harley are finally cashing in on the XR750,a bike that has possibly won more races than any bike on the planet.Honda made a bike that could walk away from the XR750 - they need to make a streettracker that does that to the XR1200.

pete376403
19th December 2010, 22:53
...a bike that has possibly won more races than any bike on the planet..

Nah, thats more likely to be the Jawa speedway bike in 2V and 4V forms

Motu
20th December 2010, 16:37
Something that goes around in circles anyway.The Jawa has had more competition over the years,the XR750 came out when it's opposition was in decline.The Triumphs gave it a hard time for a couple of years,and then Kenny Robert's Yamaha....but after that there were some half hearted attempts by Yamaha and Honda,until the RS750 for 4 seasons,but largely it ran in a one make series.Now with Supertwins it can get beaten by a Kawasaki 650.

gatch
21st December 2010, 18:46
I've always liked the 750 Shadow best of all the Honda cruisers,and with the better riding position I like this one even better.

Harley are finally cashing in on the XR750,a bike that has possibly won more races than any bike on the planet.Honda made a bike that could walk away from the XR750 - they need to make a streettracker that does that to the XR1200.

Nah, thats more likely to be the Jawa speedway bike in 2V and 4V forms

Manx Norton maybe ?

Motu
21st December 2010, 19:12
No,the BSA Goldstar has probably won more races than a Manx Norton,because it was used for road racing,scrambles,trials and flattrack.But both saw no use for a couple of decades,and a slow recovery into classic racing.The XR750 and the Jawa have never stopped racing since they were built.The XR750 is a US only bike,raced on the National circuit - but the Jawa is used all over the world,and when out of season in the northern hemishpere winter,is raced in the southern.So I will have to concede to the Jawa.

HenryDorsetCase
21st December 2010, 19:32
No,the BSA Goldstar has probably won more races than a Manx Norton,because it was used for road racing,scrambles,trials and flattrack.But both saw no use for a couple of decades,and a slow recovery into classic racing.The XR750 and the Jawa have never stopped racing since they were built.The XR750 is a US only bike,raced on the National circuit - but the Jawa is used all over the world,and when out of season in the northern hemishpere winter,is raced in the southern.So I will have to concede to the Jawa.

what about stuff like your TD1 and TZ250 and 350 in its various iterations? they built a bunch of them and they were raced all over the world.... I have no idea just thinking aloud.

Motu
21st December 2010, 20:54
Yes,but then they stopped racing them.The point is the XR750 is still being raced in premier events- there have been frame progressions along the way,but is basically the same bike.Not much change in the engine,as 100hp is about all you can use on the dirttrack - it's all about getting power to the ground,and the XR750 has always done that better than anything else.The 2 valve Jawa was eclipsed only a few years after it was introduced.