PDA

View Full Version : Another new biker (kilgh)

kilgh
20th December 2010, 07:59
Hey there,

Got my BHS yesterday. Thanks to Carl at Omega for getting up early a persisting for 2 hours in torrential rain!

Discovered a whole lot of muscles today...especially behind my right shoulder for some reason. And have had flashbacks of learning to drive a car from 20 years ago but I don't remember stalling a car that much! :facepalm:

So hopefully off to the AA this week for the test and then I can go and order my KLX! And stall that the first time I try to ride it.

(This is a great site. I have already learnt some interesting tips.)

Grasshopperus
21st December 2010, 10:54
Welcome to KB matey!

Juzz976
21st December 2010, 11:03
I stalled last night coming into a friends driveway :facepalm:

These things happen, just less frequently these days.

Welcome to KB!

The Everlasting
21st December 2010, 16:20
Welcome to KB,and the world of motorbikes! :)

kilgh
22nd December 2010, 10:02
Thanks everybody. Going for the theory test tomorrow....then it's bike shopping. Well, if I pass. It's been a long time since I studied the Road Code!

The Everlasting
22nd December 2010, 16:01
Cool,if you do a few hours study before your test,you will be fine.

steve_t
22nd December 2010, 16:15
Yes, study the road code but just to be extra sure, go here

http://www.drivinginstructor.co.nz/tests.php

and do the 'General Traffic Law Questions' and 'Motor Cycle Licensing Test'. If you can do these with no worries, you'll be fine because it basically IS the scratchie test :drinkup:

kilgh
22nd December 2010, 17:59
Cool, I shall go to the site and spend the night practising!

jack_hamma
22nd December 2010, 18:26
Welcome to the nuthouse :blink:

DIN PELENDA
23rd December 2010, 08:03
Hi........

steelphoenix
23rd December 2010, 09:17
Good luck with the test! It's not too hard - if you can remember the 'numbers' ones, the rest are mostly common sense. :)

As for stalling - yeah, it happens a lot. My favourite place to stall are at traffic lights, with cars behind me... :shit:

p.dath
23rd December 2010, 09:21
Welcome along! Lots of interesting people on this forum.

kilgh
23rd December 2010, 10:20
Thanks all!

Woo-hoo! Passed the test....can't believe how nerve-wracking that was...was channeling my 15yr old self I think.

Anyway, rewarded myself with a nice Shoei Hornet and putting my new KLX250S on order for next week.:woohoo:

Let the stall-fest begin!

davebullet
23rd December 2010, 11:03
Discovered a whole lot of muscles today...especially behind my right shoulder for some reason.

Don't give the bars the newbie death grip. You shouldn't get sore muscles riding a bike. Your core should support your weight and upper body should be relaxed - shouders down. Make sure you don't tense up. Your bike wants to go in the direction you point it and won't change direction unless you push the bars (therefore no need to grip them tightly).

kilgh
23rd December 2010, 11:06
Yes, that was exactly the issue....death grip...tense as heck. I was totally aware of it.

steve_t
23rd December 2010, 11:12
Thanks all!

Woo-hoo! Passed the test....can't believe how nerve-wracking that was...was channeling my 15yr old self I think.

Anyway, rewarded myself with a nice Shoei Hornet and putting my new KLX250S on order for next week.:woohoo:

Congrats! :woohoo: Then come to Hamiltron to see Quasi for some leathers :scooter:

kilgh
23rd December 2010, 11:16
I have tried on a couple today, but I'm having trouble finding one with short enough sleeves...The "women's" selection so far has been underwhelming.

steelphoenix
23rd December 2010, 11:24
Awesome! Welcome to the scary (yet fun) world of the noobie biker! :D

kilgh
23rd December 2010, 11:27
Thank you Steelphoenix.

davebullet
23rd December 2010, 13:11
Yes, that was exactly the issue....death grip...tense as heck. I was totally aware of it.

It also helps to go out when it's not windy - then you don't feel like you have to fight the bike. also go out when the roads aren't as busy. Lots of traffic builds stress and tension when you are new to riding.

I recommend stretching your fingers out. so you are just resting your palms against the grips with your thumb loosely wrapped around. With your fingers out - you cannot grip the bars to death. don't ride around like this all the time. It's just to give you the "it will be ok and still go in a straight line" confidence. Maybe for a 5 seconds at a time when heading down a straight stretch of road.

The Everlasting
23rd December 2010, 14:31
Congrats on passing your test,now the fun will start! :yes:

kilgh
23rd December 2010, 17:07
Thanks everlasting.

I shall try the grip tip dave. Next time I ride hopefully it won't be in the torrential rain with an audience.

motodrummer
4th January 2011, 15:34
Welcome to KB!

Fatt Max
6th January 2011, 10:01
Thanks all!

Good onya mate,

Dont worry about stalling, dont panic when it happens, just stay calm and composed and get the bike going again in your own time. As long as you are safe yourself, other people will simply have to work around you.

Welcome to KB, have a blast