PDA

View Full Version : This time prehaps.. ZXR250

sefer
15th June 2005, 23:28
Hey everyone :)

Still on my (seeming very long) quest to find a good bike in my price range/interest range. The latest bike of intrest (well two actually) is the ZXR250 (no idea what model at this stage).

I'm going out to look at one of them tomorrow, hopefully both. Their not going to be perfect for the asking price, both no wof. one de-reg. One of them needs a tire for a wof (so the seller tells me anyway).

Anyway, what is the general opinion of these bikes? But in perticular, what model specific info can you give me regarding things to be looking for?

So far I know: Rotors are f**ing expensive for them (check the wear!)
The back tire is 18' (an odd size? How does this effect price?)

Any other gems you can give me? Not too worried about spending a little money on getting a fixer-upper on the road, but once your reaching 1K it starts to defeat the purpose of buying a cheaper bike.

Suney
15th June 2005, 23:40
I found the tyre selection rather slim for 18" compared to 17" tyres when I had my zxr250.
A problems with these zxr is that the cam belt tensioner tends to screw up every ~15,000km so you hear this rattling noise, look out for that.

sefer
15th June 2005, 23:52
Thanks, I have heard that the cam is an issue, but it's great to have a general KM range to be looking at before problems. I know one of them (the non-de-reg, needs a tire one) has 28 000K on it, which I'm thinking providing there has been some matainance thats not bad KM wise.

As far as tires go, will I be looking at having to pay more for a 18' reasonible road/commuting tire compared to a 17'?

loosebruce
16th June 2005, 00:31
Hey man, you are a little limited to tyre choice but not by much.

Couldn't quote you on prices, but Bridgie BT45's are reasonable commuting tyres and to get you off in the more sportier riding, there is a fair bit out there if ya look, shit hot sports tyres, Dunlop GPR's come in 18's, also Pirelli Sport Demons are pretty good, got one of the front of mine and was surprised at how good it was, the cryrox on the rear is pretty poked though, i ride pretty hard at times and the Demon worked well, dont know if they make an 18 rear though, just ask around at a few bike shops, they should be able to point you in the right direction. The thing is there are so many ZXR250 etc out there and even some older bikes that use 18 rears that they aren't really more expensive than the 17's. So dont worry about that.

Rotors are real expensive you are best to go aftermarket, or try Freddys or FGB disc's they make a disc to fit the original carriers and most of the time it works out cheaper than buying OE parts.

You'd be best to go for the one that hasn't been de regd (depending on price differnce that is) as it can be a pain in the arse and expensive to re regd a bike.

There are pleanty of parts out there for ZXR's and if you can't find them in New Zealand, try Victorian Bike Wreckers in Oz they are good guys to deal with, being a first bike don't be too fussed about cosmetic shit like fairings and the like, just get the thing running and safe, i dont have any fairings on my one what so ever, but neither do half my bikes, cant think why :whistle:

The cam chain is not really an issue just part of general mataince and something to keep an eye on, all of them do it. Dont worry bout km's mine has over 60,000kms and it still goes strong.

Good luck with the search, try asking some of the guys down Chch if you want some advice when you go to look at the bike/s, i'm sure some of them would be more than keen to help you out.

sefer
16th June 2005, 00:48
Thanks, that you can actually get parts is something you really want to hear when considering a bike :)

I'm lible to agree about the de-reg vrs the reg bike, but there is a quite big price diff, so it may well be worth it if it was in similar condition, although it does make me wonder what it's been doing the past two years...

Anyway, tomorrows really just a quick look over to see what the general condition is like. If I like what I see I'll try to get someone slightly more experienced than myself to look it over.

sefer
16th June 2005, 16:59
Well just back from looking at both.

Bike 1. The de-reg (although the last reg on it was 2003?) is pretty much out at this point. The owner wasn't there, but his flatmates showed me. All the fairing was off, the light/ect wasn't on properly, and I couldn't hear it running. I supect that not much is known about it since the flatmates told me it was a 2 stroke. It actualy looked pretty good overall, apart from the spot weld on the tank (a car backed into it apparently). I could propabaly pick it up for $1000, but without seeing it running I wouldn't consider it. A zxr250A.

Bike 2. Looked a bit rough due to have being sliding down the road on one side, but still pretty good. Couldn't find any obvious frame damage, and the fairing is passable as is. Owner said he swapped it for a car three months ago after the orig owner dropped it and his mother said he wasn't allowed to ride anymore :) Orig owner apparently brought it from Trevor Pierce Motors (I'll try to confirm that).

Current owner said he's since replaced plugs and coil to get it going.plus replaced the brake lever. There's no key atm, but he says he has one on order from Trevor Pierce Motors allong with a new fuel cap lock, all paid for.
It seemed to run well (I didn't ride it, thou he offered even after he knew I had no licence) apart from a leak in the seal between the pipe and muffler (from where it was dropped), nothing that couldn't be fixed without too much effort thou. No rust to be seen in the tank. Forgot to check the oil thou.

The owner was nice enough (thou to your adverage person probably looked dodgy ;) ), pointed out the leak before I'd even got a chance to look, and generally told me all the stuff you'd want to know with out me asking. Said he was happy enough for me to take it through AA or what ever (thou I've no plans to). Seemed to run fine, but it was warmed up when I got there. I'll have to get it cold if I go back. I'll check the plugs too when I do the compression test.

It was a zxr250C BTW.

So what do you think of all that? I'm considering it for sure, I don't want to be too quick on deciding, but don't want to miss out either. Prehaps there a wonderful, nice CHCH rider who could have a quck look for me? :niceone:

Well thanks for reading through that drivel. Opinions/advice gratefully recieved :)

loosebruce
16th June 2005, 23:49
Yeah those 2 stroke ZXR really fly man, stay clear of that one mate. Bloody clowns.

The other one C model thats bout a 92 init? Just outta curiousity how much for that one?

As i said dont be too put off by cosmetic damage, fairings etc, get a bike to learn on, then if you say lose balance and drop it or have a slight off it's no major, if ya know what i mean.
I'd double check on the whole key issue at Trevor Price M/cycles yourself, but the guy sounds pretty sweet. If you can take someone along that can ride it, you may find the fork seals are leaking after a ride (he could've just wiped it clean before you arrive) or some shit like that, and that the fork oil has killed the front brakes etc. You said the bike was warmed up before you got there, if it's cold next time sweet, if not just hit him up as to why it was warmed, if he's honest guy he'll tell you it's a bitch to start when it's cold but it does start, so i wouldn't be to fussed on that. Can't be any harder than my ZXR to start, dead battery, lots of running, unfit...............
Only seems like minor damage nothing serious but yeah an experienced eye can't hurt, not saying you aren't i don't know.......
I just sold my ZXR for just under a $1000, the fairings are alright, front has seen better days (damage not from me, odd that really) it has no WOF and reg is on hold, is goes well, to give you an idea of pricing.

Again hope all goes well for ya. Couple of good guys in Chch you could PM asking nicely are Biff and Dangerous, just look em up in the members list.

sefer
16th June 2005, 23:50
Well I've managed to get the owner of number two to meet me at for a WOF check tomorrow morning (at my cost, but of course it'll be worth it). If it all checks out (apart from the ultra bald rear tire :), hence the reason I got him to meet me there rather than have anyone else ride it) I think I'm going to go for it.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll pick it up for $2000, which as best as I can tell is worth it for this model in the condition it's in.

Wish me luck :yes:

sefer
16th June 2005, 23:55
Woo Hoo, must have posted at the same time :)

I'm hoping that with a WOF check they'll pick up anything obvious like leaking forks. I'm meeting him at 10, so hopefully after 1 when I finish my class it'll be cool enough to check the cold starting.

I am not 100% sure it is worth 2K, but it seems about right based on the prices I've seen around...

loosebruce
16th June 2005, 23:57
Cool man, $2000 sounds roughly bout right, see how it goes in the WOF and you maybe able to haggle him down even more if fails on too many things, like "well i have to buy a rear tyre and that is $$$$ and then there's such an such and that costs $$$$ so would you take $$$$.

Guys sound pretty sweet if he's bringing it to meet ya for a WOF. Hope it all checks out well for you.

sefer
17th June 2005, 00:02
Thanks man.
I think it was missing a mirror on the dropped side to (at least I don't remember there being one) so if I'm right that'll be a haggling point anyway. I'm going to try for slightly less, after all no harm in trying :)

FlyingDutchMan
17th June 2005, 00:04
I dunno what the going rate for a ZXR250 is but I wouldn't fork out anymore than 2K if it needs a new rear (~$210 @ Cycletreads for a BT45, maybe more if its a 18"), + ~$100 for fork seals and fork oil if you do the work yourself.

BNZ
17th June 2005, 08:14
I found the tyre selection rather slim for 18" compared to 17" tyres when I had my zxr250.
A problems with these zxr is that the cam belt tensioner tends to screw up every ~15,000km so you hear this rattling noise, look out for that.

No belt, cam chain. And yes you do not want this to fuck out.

sefer
17th June 2005, 14:16
Well a few issues, but nothing major.

Front and rear tire
Horn to work (owner said just a wire as he's had a 'ooga horn' attached previously)
Adjust chain (I thought it was f***ed when I heard it at first, rattling the way it was, good news to have the wof guy say its just the chain :) )
Sproket borderline, new one needed sometime soon (but no wof issue)
Secure fuel tank and seat (probably the hardest thing if the plastic 'peg' from the fairing is broken...)

Also gave me a chance to have another look over now that I'd seen a couple of others (I dropped by a bike shop who had a good one for 5500, plus the cheaper one I saw yesterday), and while the fairings are not in great shape there usable, and fixible. WOF guy was also pretty good, having owned bikes, he said the engine sounded good and it seemed to handle pretty well (although he rode it in a mostly striaght line for a total of 10M).

Anyway I'm thinking that if I can get him to drop the price the cost of a new tire (and maybe a sproket), plus take care of the horn and tank to some extent I'll buy it. Would still be keen if a CHCH local could offer to take it once around the block for me sometime in the near future thou :)

One thing I really need to know though before I decide:
Can you get those 'pegs' plastic welded on? What sort of cost?
It might not be broken, but I suspect that's why the tank moves (end closest the seat.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I really appreciate it :niceone:

N4CR
17th June 2005, 15:16
Those plastic pegs need to be rather strong, I'm not sure if plastic welding would be reliable enough to hold it. The peg Isn't a major problem as long as the screw is in the fairing further down.

Try getting it welded or alternatively drill a small hole next to it and have a bit of wire holding it in ;) be rungi mate!

sefer
17th June 2005, 15:42
Lol :) Yeah I had considered that option too.

sefer
17th June 2005, 17:30
well tyres will cost me $400 about, but I've got him to knock $200 off it too. Also got my father to take it for a test ride. He said it runs ok. He's a little hesitent about me getting a race postion bike, said you have to lean into the corners too much, but I'm not worried.
(plus he's a little rounder around the mid section than me :) )

Said I'd try to decide tonight, so any input would be taken greatly

aff-man
17th June 2005, 18:01
What pegs you talking about??? The front and rear ones that hold the tank on are metal arn't they .... well they were on mine. As to the tank moving around maybe it's the spacer between tank and fram (mine started moving when that went missing due to an "unfortuate road meeting incident")

It's still probably worth about $1700 though even with all that done. :niceone:

P.s. where did you take it for a WOF. Cause back in the day i used to go down the road to the petrol station where there was a bike WOF guy. But he was a no-brain idiot. I mean one of my handelbars was slightly twisted in and he thought the forks were bent, so i went to the bike shop and they told me this guy was full of horse shit, went back to the guy and he phoned up the shop to comfirm what they said. IDIOT> Since then i go to a mechanic i trust for a WOF. :niceone:

p.p.s. although the zxr was my second bike and it had done 95000 odd km when i got it it was awsome and improved my riding quite significantly. So if you get a good one it will do wonders for your riding ability:Punk:

Jonty
17th June 2005, 18:04
I would really recommend a ZXR to learn on, as it has been said they will do wonders for your riding. I can't help but sense that you should really take the machine into a bike mecahnic and get one of those AA? 50 point checks - $50 now can save a great deal of money later and it will expose any major issues you need to factor it. They are a great bargaining tool :niceone:

sefer
17th June 2005, 18:10
Well I wanted to take it down to Norjo Motors, but since they were all booked up I went to the Sockburn testing station. An English (maybe Welsh?) guy there took it through and generally was pretty good, although he did not notice the rather large leak in the exhust. Well to be fair it doesn't effect the noise level much, so that's probably why he didn't notice.

Thanks for the comments. It's things like that that'll help me decide.
I'm still a bit iffy atm in case you can't tell. I like it but with the damage I can't help but think "hmm.I could probably get a late 90's 150 2 stroke for $1600.. " (not that I'm really considering a 2 stroke, maintaince and the fact I'm told they don't make great commuters have put me off)

Jonty
17th June 2005, 18:14
:niceone:
Well I wanted to take it down to Norjo Motors, but since they were all booked up I went to the Sockburn testing station. An English (maybe Welsh?) guy there took it through and generally was pretty good, although he did not notice the rather large leak in the exhust. Well to be fair it doesn't effect the noise level much, so that's probably why he didn't notice.

Thanks for the comments. It's things like that that'll help me decide.
I'm still a bit iffy atm in case you can't tell. I like it but with the damage I can't help but think "hmm.I could probably get a late 90's 150 2 stroke for $1600.. " (not that I'm really considering a 2 stroke, maintaince and the fact I'm told they don't make great commuters have put me off)

As long as you know everything about it - ie what you have to fix, then you will be fine. Just make sure there are no suprises and remember you always get what you pay for so only pay for what your getting :yes:

Gremlin
17th June 2005, 18:20
Is this the first bike for you??

Mine is all cosmetically tired etc, but it is actually a good thing. Crims don't want it as much, and if I do have a crash then I immediately save, because the fairings are already scratched and damaged.

But to get back to perfect nick, yes, fairings will cost, but as a learner, don't worry about.

John
17th June 2005, 18:22
Front and rear tire

Lots of cheaper options avialable you dont haveto go and speed mega bucks on a flash tire your still learning so no need for anything expensive.

Horn to work (owner said just a wire as he's had a 'ooga horn' attached previously)

If its broken you can pick up a car horn for about 20$ max.

Adjust chain (I thought it was f***ed when I heard it at first, rattling the way it was
Welcome to the world of chain driven cams, these just need to be watched ask your mechanic if he would convert it to a manual tensioner makes it alot quieter.

Sproket borderline, new one needed sometime soon (but no wof issue)

Sproket was probably eaten by a bad chain, replace all the sprockets and chain at the same time - more you fix now less you worry about later.

Secure fuel tank and seat (probably the hardest thing if the plastic 'peg' from the fairing is broken...)

You mean that littke spikey thing on the tip of the left and right rear Fairing that clips into the tank?... well that doesnt hold it in place - its one bolt up top (straight above the fuel tank you cant miss it) and one down bottom (under the seat) if it 'wriggles' and the bolts are in then tighten them or put in some washers - you have to allow for some movement of the tank.

The seat? how is that not working is it the front or rear seat whats wrong with that, they are all controlled by a leverage pullyunder the rear seat and the front seat has a large white clip that goes under a metal holder and slaps in.

Dont worry chicks dig road rashed bikes :niceone:

Gremlin
17th June 2005, 18:24
So thats why you "cured" my bike. Haven't noticed anything yet tho :whistle:

Roooolll on up ladies :love: :yes:

John
17th June 2005, 18:38
So thats why you "cured" my bike. Haven't noticed anything yet tho :whistle:

Roooolll on up ladies :love: :yes:
:lol:
But you fixed it up :(.
I'll send this zx down the road to give it more value :D

Coyote
17th June 2005, 18:43
What about a totally trashed, lost and strungout bike?

John
17th June 2005, 18:45
What about a totally trashed, lost and strungout bike?
Your mother will always dig you no matter what the other kids say alarumba... :lol:

Coyote
17th June 2005, 18:48
Your mother will always dig you no matter what the other kids say alarumba... :lol:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/image.php?u=1893&type=profile&dateline=1115467768

What were you saying again?

John
17th June 2005, 18:49
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/image.php?u=1893&type=profile&dateline=1115467768

What were you saying again?
lmao .......

sefer
17th June 2005, 20:32
Well thanks guys. At this point I've decided to go for it (with one more quick check of the front arms when I pick it up). I'll try to get it for $1700 (really I should try for $1600, since that's really the most cash I'm likely to be able to get over the weekend) But I'm happy enough with 1800 if not. I'll post a pic of the monstrosity I've brought sometime tomorrow so you can tell me what a bad move I've made ;)

Gremlin
18th June 2005, 00:39
:lol:
But you fixed it up :(.
I'll send this zx down the road to give it more value :D
Only some of it is fixed, after a bit of difficulty (thanks SpankMe) I now have a gallery of shots, so you can see the changes.

Note that some of the shots are taken on the centre stand, its now back on. :niceone: Better yet, the shot of the back tyre hopefully shows how much has been used :devil2: I would say that less than 10mm on each side is virgin... :love:

John
18th June 2005, 00:41
Well thanks guys. At this point I've decided to go for it (with one more quick check of the front arms when I pick it up). I'll try to get it for $1700 (really I should try for $1600, since that's really the most cash I'm likely to be able to get over the weekend) But I'm happy enough with 1800 if not. I'll post a pic of the monstrosity I've brought sometime tomorrow so you can tell me what a bad move I've made ;)
Well good luck go as low as you can and move up! good luck!

John
18th June 2005, 00:44
Only some of it is fixed, after a bit of difficulty (thanks SpankMe) I now have a gallery of shots, so you can see the changes.

Note that some of the shots are taken on the centre stand, its now back on. :niceone: Better yet, the shot of the back tyre hopefully shows how much has been used :devil2: I would say that less than 10mm on each side is virgin... :love:
Yea well I can safely say that that tire has being on its edges - I rode it very hard thats why I binned so much (and bad luck) I used to roll off the tire sometimes! thats the sort of lean I got on those arrowmax's - sorry I broke their virginity before you :lol: but you can have sloppy seconds!

Gremlin
18th June 2005, 00:52
Oh, I assumed you had already, but obviously from no wear the sides became dirty, and I wanted clean tyres. :devil2: Not there yet, but virgin for me.

To the edge and beyond (well maybe not beyond). I don't think I see it as sloppy seconds though. My bike loves me coz I treat it nice... :rofl:

John
18th June 2005, 01:00
To the edge and beyond (well maybe not beyond). I don't think I see it as sloppy seconds though. My bike loves me coz I treat it nice... :rofl:

Ouch, I'll have you know I used to patt the tank when it was a good bike and give it a full clean every day just like my zxr, I look after my bikes good'n :niceone::niceone:

Gremlin
18th June 2005, 01:08
Ouch, I'll have you know I used to patt the tank when it was a good bike and give it a full clean every day just like my zxr, I look after my bikes good'n :niceone::niceone:
:crazy: You may crash the bikes a bit, but not even I clean my bike every day, then again, it ain't in perfect condition, so the cleanliness isn't quite as noticeable as the scratches.

Either I'm riding, thinking about riding, dreaming about riding, or just standing looking at the bike :no: :weird:

or umm talking to it

Ixion
18th June 2005, 01:52
or umm talking to it

Tis not when you talk to them that you need worry, but when they talk to you :niceone:

FlyingDutchMan
18th June 2005, 10:25
Hey sefer, where abouts in Chch are you? I'm only a couple of stones throws from norjo motors myself. I've never had the same guy twice at the sockburn testing station and I'm a bit dubious about a couple of them.

sefer
18th June 2005, 11:51
I'm just in Hornby. I didn't take the WOF guy check as gospel, but it satified mye about a few points on the bike. I know the guy I got actually used to work down the LSTA testing station in Jipco Rd 6 months or so ago because I've had him there before.

Gremlin
18th June 2005, 14:33
Have you got the bike yet??

sefer
19th June 2005, 18:50
Yep, got it yesterday (but had already promised to spend the day/night with the G/f).
Already fixed the tank issus (the bracket wasn't on at all), and the horn is done, just need to find the time to do the chain.

Photos as promised..

(and the tank etc is just sitting there btw, I'd had it off)