PDA

View Full Version : Getting a deregistered bike back on the road?

Mr Skid
16th June 2005, 13:21
In the hunt for the perfect skid, I've been keeping an eye on a few trail/adventure bikes in the market.

A number of them have had the road kit removed and deregistered. I understand that if they've got a VIN number and haven't been written off that the re-registration process isn't too difficult.

The LTSA site suggests that they need to be recertified before issuing a new set of plates.

Has anyone had any experience with this process? I'd be interested to know what costs were incurred, and any pitfalls to watch out for..

Badcat
16th June 2005, 14:47
i was a total dick and forgot to re-register my 2002 KTM supermoto.
re-examining it took over an hour and cost me more than $400.
i won't do that again.
i'm going to be in this situation soon - i have an xt500 that has no vin (too old) but does have an old black plate.
will post my findings to the XT500 street tracker thread:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=11291&page=1&pp=15&highlight=xt500

k

NordieBoy
16th June 2005, 16:56
I understand that if they've got a VIN number and haven't been written off that the re-registration process isn't too difficult.

Mine was written off and I had no problems re-registering.

Make sure you've got E marked lights...

Mr Skid
16th June 2005, 23:46
re-examining it took over an hour and cost me more than $400.
Eeek! I think I'll have to look at bikes with current/on hold registration then.

I did have my eye on an tm auction for a KLX650, but it's been withdrawn. The idea of 48hp being put down through a 130 width knob made me go all weak at the knees. :yes:

Mine was written off and I had no problems re-registering.

Make sure you've got E marked lights...
Not your namesake I hope???

NordieBoy
17th June 2005, 14:17
Yes, my namesake.

But it got rebuilt better/stronger/faster and didn't cost 6 million dollars :D

Actually $1500 including buying back the wreck and it was back on the road :D

And the insurance paid for my other Nordie :D

Win-win really :D

Brian d marge
19th June 2005, 00:52
As in order to compete in this ISDE it may be that I have to have my bike VIN ed , for a six day event ,,,, No F()='&%& way , the american one was on private land ,,,
And not so much the cost but the actual logistics for me will be a MAGOR pain to say the least
So Roughly whats involved and how much,,,, its a race bike and hasnt seen a number plate ,,,,,
Stephen

Posh Tourer :P
21st June 2005, 22:03
In the hunt for the perfect skid, I've been keeping an eye on a few trail/adventure bikes in the market.

A number of them have had the road kit removed and deregistered. I understand that if they've got a VIN number and haven't been written off that the re-registration process isn't too difficult.

The LTSA site suggests that they need to be recertified before issuing a new set of plates.

Has anyone had any experience with this process? I'd be interested to know what costs were incurred, and any pitfalls to watch out for..

Done this three times fairly recently, you pay the $250 for a years rego, plus $100-odd for the COF inspection, plus $60 for the plates, coming out to just over $400. They need only a frame number and proof of ownership, and to be in good WOF-able condition. If you have the old plates, this helps, if not, it does not matter. Whatever you do, don't slap on any old plate to get to the testing station, or if you do, take it off before they see you. They get very suspicious when the plate and frame no don't match...

They will give you a VIN plate if you do not have one. Also watch that the frame and engine no's match or that you have paperwork for the engine change.

sAsLEX
22nd June 2005, 06:44
They need only a frame number and proof of ownership, and to be in good WOF-able condition. If you have the old plates, this helps, if not, it does not matter. Whatever you do, don't slap on any old plate to get to the testing station, or if you do, take it off before they see you. They get very suspicious when the plate and frame no don't match...

They will give you a VIN plate if you do not have one. Also watch that the frame and engine no's match or that you have paperwork for the engine change.

But that frame number must be in there system, you can ring before hand with the frame number to check if it will go through, plus I just rode my xr to the testing station, and to get a new tyre, bad i know but not many traffic police in devonport!

22nd June 2005, 21:32
But that frame number must be in there system, you can ring before hand with the frame number to check if it will go through, plus I just rode my xr to the testing station, and to get a new tyre, bad i know but not many traffic police in devonport!

This is what I am saying. Technically it is 'legal' to ride directly to a WOF station with no WOF. By extension, it is kinda legal-ish to ride directly to a COF station with no plate right? Same principle....

Yes that frame number must be in the system, but on a bike that has been on the road before, it will be, even if the bike has been subsequently off the road for a while. However, it must be possible to put a new frame number into the system, how else would you import a bike from another country??

sAsLEX
22nd June 2005, 22:40
However, it must be possible to put a new frame number into the system, how else would you import a bike from another country??

yeah but they wouldn't let me do it to my xr as there reason was, well they just said they couldn't because of some dumb rule

22nd June 2005, 22:48
yeah but they wouldn't let me do it to my xr as there reason was, well they just said they couldn't because of some dumb rule

Is that because the bike was never manufactured to be on the road??? There are I think different safety regulations on manufacture for a bike that can be road legal vs one that cant, and I'm not just talking about lights and mirrors, but maybe something more fundamental?

Ixion
22nd June 2005, 23:33
Is that because the bike was never manufactured to be on the road??? There are I think different safety regulations on manufacture for a bike that can be road legal vs one that cant, and I'm not just talking about lights and mirrors, but maybe something more fundamental?

The bike has to be a model that has been "complied" in the first place I believe. That is, when a importer decides he wants to sell the 100cc Puffmo in NZ, he gets the model certified. He provides proof (normally from the manufacturer) that the bike (or car) was built in compliance with various design standards. This only has to be done once for each model(not each bike) . After that the authorities know that the Puffmo 100 is built in compliance with the relevant standards.

So then when you turn up to get a VIN for your Puffmo 100 they just need to establish that it is indeed a 2003 Puffmo 100, check that everything works and is as per manufacturers spec. Even if it's never had NZ plates they can still do it. NZ plates make it esier because they can verify original year of manufacture etc.

But if you come along with a Sluggo250, and that model has never been complied, they can't VIN it. Some models are NOT built in compliance with the standards for road going vehicles, because they were never intended to be used on the road.

I think there are exemptions for older and vintage vehicles.

23rd June 2005, 01:44
Thats the sort of thing I was aiming at, good to know I wasnt way off track....

sAsLEX
23rd June 2005, 11:16
was a xr250, and I am sure I have seen them on the road, was just the fact the FRAME NUMBER was not in their system.

crazyxr250rider
23rd June 2005, 19:00
was a xr250, and I am sure I have seen them on the road, was just the fact the FRAME NUMBER was not in their system.
XR250`s are legal for road in fact I took mine for ride to urenui last weekend

NordieBoy
23rd June 2005, 19:17
XR250`s are legal for road in fact I took mine for ride to urenui last weekend

Registered XR's are legal for the road.
Non-registered XR's arn't.
Non-registered XR's can be registered.
And if you're lucky you may not even need blinkers ;)

Rumble
13th September 2005, 21:54
Bringing up old threads here, but did you get the bike reg'd?

I have currently a '91 ZXR250C which has been dereg by insurance write-off.

The trail of dereg paperwork I have starts at AMI with a dereg cert with "UNECONOMICAL TO REPAIR. INSURANCE WRITE OFF." stamped all over it... According to Suney it was quoted for a new set of fairings, mirrors, indicators, paint, decals, and apparently forks (dunno why)... The frame appears to be in A1 condition as far as I can tell, the only thing I can think of which may fail are the brake pads and possibly the rear disc as it is bang on marginal.

I have heard a million stories, but has anyone had similar experiences I can PM?

rc_36_rider
13th September 2005, 22:07
shouldnt be a problem to get the zxr back on the road people fix insurance write offs all the time an get them on the road .as for the xr id look into it a bit further because what about custom hand built bikes never been brought into the country and havnt been tested as the flufmo 100 they find there way onto the road some how?

FROSTY
13th September 2005, 22:22
Bringing up old threads here, but did you get the bike reg'd?

I have currently a '91 ZXR250C which has been dereg by insurance write-off.

The trail of dereg paperwork I have starts at AMI with a dereg cert with "UNECONOMICAL TO REPAIR. INSURANCE WRITE OFF." stamped all over it... According to Suney it was quoted for a new set of fairings, mirrors, indicators, paint, decals, and apparently forks (dunno why)... The frame appears to be in A1 condition as far as I can tell, the only thing I can think of which may fail are the brake pads and possibly the rear disc as it is bang on marginal.

I have heard a million stories, but has anyone had similar experiences I can PM?
Heres the deal -You need dereg paperwork. You need to get a brake compliance cert from a bike shop or a ltsa low volume certifier.
You will need to get the questioned "damaged" structural components-forks examined and passed
To be honest matey save yaself a shit load of effort--call ALEX-- 4168932 and get him to sort all the shit out for ya -He'll do the brake cert and also tell ya about anything that will fail on compliance
His check will cost about $75 and compliance will cost $150
that gives ya a WOF and the form you need to register the bike--MR2A
you then waunder over and pay another $185 for plates and 6 months rego.
-OR do what I did and ride em for awhile on a dealer plate -

froggyfrenchman
14th September 2005, 08:14
Heres the deal -You need dereg paperwork. You need to get a brake compliance cert from a bike shop or a ltsa low volume certifier.
You will need to get the questioned "damaged" structural components-forks examined and passed
To be honest matey save yaself a shit load of effort--call ALEX-- 4456236 and get him to sort all the shit out for ya -Hell do the brake cert and also tell ya about anything that will fail on compliance
His check will cost about $75 and compliance will cost $150
that gives ya a WOF and the form you need to register the bike--MR2A
you then waunder over and pay another $185 for plates and 6 months rego.
-OR do what I did and ride em for awhile on a dealer plate -

Ive just bought a tidy 650 Katana, out of system. but never considered a write off. What should i do is far as gettn back on the road? how much will this cost me? cheers frogman

Wellyman
14th September 2005, 10:18
Ive just bought a tidy 650 Katana, out of system. but never considered a write off. What should i do is far as gettn back on the road? how much will this cost me? cheers frogman

It will cost you a little bit but anything can be done. I work at a motorcycle wreckers and we sell whole bikes which are write offs and put them back on the road as street fighters.

willy_01
14th September 2005, 10:32
Hey im in the same position as a few of you here. Im bidding on a 86 gsxr1100 that has been written off due to being uneconomical to fix. I have had a really good look at this bike and the only damage i can see is the cracks in the plastics and a scuffed up foot peg. First question is would this be considered enough to write of the bike? I.e. the owner insists on new fairings (that would take months to get here from japan). Also the bike still has a current warrant and rego so why cant I just take it in for another warrant when this one runs out with a new foot peg and paint job?? Any help would be appreciated as I really want this bike, and not just a waste of money.

Rumble
14th September 2005, 12:35
Also the bike still has a current warrant and rego so why cant I just take it in for another warrant when this one runs out with a new foot peg and paint job??.

You can! You dont even need a paint job.... or fairings for that case...

Thats what all my previous bikes have been, but mine now is completely de-reg... e.g. no plates, vin means nothing, etc.

bungbung
14th September 2005, 13:30
Frosty,

If the bike has previously been registered in NZ and still has the VIN plate, do you still need the brake certificate?

NordieBoy
14th September 2005, 13:52
Also the bike still has a current warrant and rego so why cant I just take it in for another warrant when this one runs out with a new foot peg and paint job?? Any help would be appreciated as I really want this bike, and not just a waste of money.
If it just has the stickers I would check at a local testing station to see what's on the computer about it.

Rumble
14th September 2005, 14:05
Frosty,

If the bike has previously been registered in NZ and still has the VIN plate, do you still need the brake certificate?

Yes this is of much interest to me... No one else I know of (but they have all taken through dormant regos) needed one...

bungbung
14th September 2005, 14:19
I can't see that you would. (need brake cert)

If the brake parts are the same as they were prior to the accident, and they pass the inspection then you should be good.

I can understand the case for strange imported bikes though.

However, the requirement for a brake certificate may be a thing that applies in this case.

I bought a de-reg'd zxr. It had no plates, wof or reg information, but it did have a VIN plate. Armed with a sale sheet from a bike shop (bought as a trade-in special) I went to VTNZ. They inspected the bike for $100, and I registered it for $180 (incl 6 month rego). That was that.

FROSTY
14th September 2005, 14:32
The brake cert thing is recent and as i understand it it applies to deregistered bikes as well as fresh imports.
There is a big difference between a bike dereged cos the owner couldn't be bothered and a written off bike that has been repaired--all the damage info listed by the insurance company will be on the LTSA file
Alex will clear it up real fast though

willy_01
14th September 2005, 15:17
You can! You dont even need a paint job.... or fairings for that case...

Thats what all my previous bikes have been, but mine now is completely de-reg... e.g. no plates, vin means nothing, etc.

:woohoo: man i hope this is the case i have to get this bad boy now! (my day has suddenly started to look up!)

How come your bike is dereg'd now is it due to complications or your own free will?

Rumble
14th September 2005, 15:41
:woohoo: man i hope this is the case i have to get this bad boy now! (my day has suddenly started to look up!)

How come your bike is dereg'd now is it due to complications or your own free will?

I bought it as a dereg write off. I am just waiting for the front fairing back from Rodders (he is doing the welding), and then shes ready to go... Hence the pre-research into brake certs, etc.
So far it only owes me $1710 so it should be a deal.... regaurding nothing is too wrong with it! And it should be Lime green when I get back from Fiji.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=16661

cowboyz
14th September 2005, 16:26
im trying to get a gsx 600 back on the road. If I knew it was going to take this long and cost this much I probably wouldnt have started it in the first place.

Before I brought the bike I test rode it (of course) and it felt fine to me. Very nice in fact. I did note that the front fork seals were stuffed and the rear brake was dodgy.

SO to VTNZ. They send me to motorbike shop to have the brakes checked. They say the front need servicing because front calipers are binding. News to me. Couple of hours labour. The rear disc needs replacing - ok I knew that. I buy a second hand rear disc off suggestion of a well known wrecker from KB'ers who measures the disc at 5.7mm with a 5.5mm tolerance level before I brought it. Gave that disc to the bike shop. They failed it saying it had to be a new disc. Brought another disc. They were fixing the front fork seals today and said they noticed the steering head bearings need replacing so there is another $100.

As well as replacing front screen, glueing left hand handgrip (it never moved when I rode the bike.) a screw missing from one of the fairings all up Im up for around $1300 and then I have to register it yet.

Now I brought the bike on 26 august 05. Still havent got it back.

Im not saying it should be this complicated, in fact, I am saying the opposite. I think my bike is not the only thing being taken for a ride here but when you take a bike for compliance testing they go over it with a fine (a very very very fine) tooth comb.

The whole deal is pissing me off now.

Rumble
14th September 2005, 16:42
Im not saying it should be this complicated, in fact, I am saying the opposite. I think my bike is not the only thing being taken for a ride here but when you take a bike for compliance testing they go over it with a fine (a very very very fine) tooth comb.

The whole deal is pissing me off now.

I think it sorta depends who you get, when, where etc.

Ive heard the guy in Whangarei is pretty cruisy doesnt nuts out about things like brands of brake pads and petty things...

Im thinking of taking mine to Mt Wellington (mainly coz its a 5 minute ride and I really really cannot be bothered trailering it again - i will just drop it off on the way to uni) - Has anyone dealt with them?

cowboyz
14th September 2005, 16:56
cant help you with where to go. I chose the wrong place. I did hear of one guy failing cert. check because his indicators didn't match brands.

Stupid stupid stupid.

Surpose it depends on how well you know the mechanic and how much money they think yourve got.

FROSTY
14th September 2005, 22:06
cant help you with where to go. I chose the wrong place. I did hear of one guy failing cert. check because his indicators didn't match brands.

Stupid stupid stupid.

Surpose it depends on how well you know the mechanic and how much money they think yourve got.
dude you got a rum deal --if you disk is over the legal limit they cant refuse you a pass.
The deal with indicators has nothing to do with brand/shape it has to do with having a recignised standards mark on them -there are a couple.
As an exhample --I failed compliance on a set of aftermarket indicators -no compliance marks.I borrowed a set of cb350 lenses and duct taped em in place -they had no choice but to pass me

15th September 2005, 03:49
dude you got a rum deal --if you disk is over the legal limit they cant refuse you a pass.
The deal with indicators has nothing to do with brand/shape it has to do with having a recignised standards mark on them -there are a couple.
As an exhample --I failed compliance on a set of aftermarket indicators -no compliance marks.I borrowed a set of cb350 lenses and duct taped em in place -they had no choice but to pass me

It was the bike shop I think that refused to fit the 2nd hand disc, which is perhaps fair enough, though harsh...

Jantar
15th September 2005, 04:02
I had my RE5 re-inspected and VINed without any problems. They did check that everything on the bike was original, even to the extent of checking indicator and light lenses.

The only slight arguement was whether or not it have to have the brake light operated by the front brake lever. The inspector had to search through old regs to find the date at which this requirement came into force, and then check that the bike was first registered prior to that date. It qualified. :woohoo:

cowboyz
15th September 2005, 04:49
It was the bike shop I think that refused to fit the 2nd hand disc, which is perhaps fair enough, though harsh...

What fair about it? I think they should do a job that they are paid to do. The nitpicking over the bike is just a side irritation really. Its the time its takent o do the job that is really pissing me off. I havent been on a bike for a week now and having withdrawl symptoms.

willy_01
15th September 2005, 10:19
yea i know how you feel i have imported a few cars now and man o man can they be a pain in the ass to get a Vin. However bikes are a lot more simple and I feel I can do a lot of the work my self that’s why im not too bothered, that and the fact I could have a gsxr1100 out of it for the princely sum of $1500 (tears come to my eyes just thinking about it!). Dam its going to be a step up from the rg! :devil2:

18th September 2005, 01:48
What fair about it? I think they should do a job that they are paid to do. The nitpicking over the bike is just a side irritation really. Its the time its takent o do the job that is really pissing me off. I havent been on a bike for a week now and having withdrawl symptoms.

Well, they might want to maintain a standard such that customers dont get a chance to complain. For example, if you ask them to fit a piece of equipment that later is faulty, they might get blamed. New kit means that they have a comeback onto the manufacturer that doesnt exist with second hand.

Still harsh, but maybe understandable...

bumsex
18th September 2005, 11:04
Yeah its a mission aye.

I got an '87 TZR250 rebuilt a while back. Lots of running around before it was finally road legal.
Interestingly if my memory serves me right it had a VIN plate but was not in system? I had to go to the cops and get them to check that it wasnt a vehicle of interest to them and do the brake check (cost $120).
I was running around with the number plate from my old bike for a while (what a rocket: Honda CG125!).

Lots of mucking around for bugger all.