PDA

View Full Version : 15% increase in hp!!

LB
4th December 2003, 04:27
Last week, with 10,000kms on the clock, I had a set of Neptune mufflers made and fitted to my four-month old 800 Monster. The bike then had it’s 10,000km service, and they had to put it on the dyno to tune it to the pipes. The standard pipes have a catalytic converter in them, whereas the Neptunes don’t. The Ducati brochure quotes the 800 standard at 73bhp. Mine, with the Neptunes, came out at 84bhp - I was rapt. That’s 11hp more - a 15% increase!! Admittedly I didn’t have my specific bike dynoed standard, but Ducati are hardly likely to underestimate the standard hp.

I’ve now done 1500kms with the Neptunes, and I can definitely notice the increase in power - it breathes much easier and pulls stronger right through the rev range. It’s great!! And the sound - it sounds like a REAL Duc now!!!

And even better, I seem to be getting more fuel economy - on a run over the weekend, from Raetihi down to Paraparumu (including what was for me a pretty fast run down the Paraparas) I got 19.64 km/l. That’s the best I’ve ever got so far!

Pictures of the bike and the dyno graph attached. Anyone interested in Neptunes can have a look at the website - http://www.neptunemufflers.co.nz They’re made locally here in Wellington. I also have a Neptune on my R1150R, and my husband has one on his GS1200SS.

LB
4th December 2003, 04:34
woops - the photo I've got of the bike is too big to attach, but trust me, it looks good. I've kept the standard design, as I have a set of Givi throwovers I use when I'm touring. I could have gone for the high pipes but then the throwovers wouldn't work, and to be honest I like the lines of the standard design. A photo should be appearing on the Neptune website soon.

Motu
4th December 2003, 06:48
It's not so much that your new mufflers make more HP,but that the originals took it away - you are only getting the HP it already had.Hope you still haven't got the bike in 2006 - if it had cats,it meets an emission standard.

750Y
4th December 2003, 15:45
Originally posted by Motu
It's not so much that your new mufflers make more HP,but that the originals took it away - you are only getting the HP it already had.Hope you still haven't got the bike in 2006 - if it had cats,it meets an emission standard.

yep true about the stock pipes. what's happening in 2006 re cat converters?

Motu
4th December 2003, 16:21
I don't know what's happening in 2006,we're in the dark,but that's when they are going to introduce emmision testing.Basicly if it was built to meet an emmision standard,it will have to meet that standard.

merv
4th December 2003, 18:44
84hp at the back wheel of an 800 twin sounds pretty good and I know you love it so just enjoy no matter what the emission standards are going to be in 2006.

bungbung
5th December 2003, 08:09
Lynda, did you get your bike dyno'd in Wellington? Who by?

matthewt
5th December 2003, 09:27
It was done by Motomart in Lower Hutt. They have quite a good dyno setup.

Eddieb
5th December 2003, 10:35
Hi Linda

What sort of cost did they charge you for the dyno time? and how long did it take. How did they tune the bike, provide a new chip? or some other method.

I was thinking about taking the 888 in there for the same work in the new year.

matthewt
5th December 2003, 11:27
Eddie,

Ring them up and ask for Wayne. He'll have an idea of what's involved and know the costs etc.

duckman
5th December 2003, 13:13
When I purchased my Power Commander from Auckland power sports they gave me unlimited time on the dyno at a reduced rate to set it up.

I think the total cost including the PC was less than a grand.

I even took it back when I found a flat spot and they sorted it out at no xtra cost!! Thats service!!

:beer:

wkid_one
6th December 2003, 08:05
Originally posted by duckman
When I purchased my Power Commander from Auckland power sports they gave me unlimited time on the dyno at a reduced rate to set it up. I

No shit - they gave you unlimited time when you were still paying for it - doh!

LB
8th December 2003, 15:53
Eddie and Bungbung - sorry to take so long to reply - just arrived back after an AWESOME long weekend (Fri-Mon incl) away at Pukekohe for the 1st round of the Nationals - what a fantastic weekend of racing - some of the best racing I've seen in a long long time. Real heart in the mouth stuff, real close in several classes with the lead changing second by second, sometimes with up to four or five riders in the leading group all within a split second of each other. Phew! Also had a wonderful ride up and back on the Duc. Today was so good that I came back via Taranaki. (have clocked up over 2,500kms over the last two weekends....)

Matt - thanks for answering for me - yep, it was Motomart, and I'll have to find my invoice to find the cost as it was done at the same time as my 10000km service. I remember thinking when I looked at the account that it was pretty reasonable.

Eddie and Bungbung - feel free to pm me if you want to know more.

Lynda