PDA

View Full Version : Online gamers

SMOKEU
27th December 2010, 23:39
Do any of you feel that you're being negatively affected by having an excessively high ping?

Spuds1234
27th December 2010, 23:45
No. Never had a problem owning people in Quake 2 with a 56k modem, and dont have problem these days with pings over 100.

EJK
27th December 2010, 23:55
I don't know the ping rating but I play StarCraft 2 lagless on South East Asia server. Yes, I play against Chinese, Singaporian, Malaysian and other Asians laglessly.
Must got to be due to damn good server.

But can't say the same for other games (e.g. Aliens Vs Predator 2: 300 ping on US)

SMOKEU
28th December 2010, 09:52
With Call of Duty World at War my ping is around 300, most of the other people it's around 50-150. The servers I play are all American. Sometimes I feel that when I'm being shot at, there's a very slight delay until anything happens when I pull the trigger, or when I'm shooting a moving target the same thing happens. I don't think it's due to poor skills.

Gibbo89
28th December 2010, 14:42
With Call of Duty World at War my ping is around 300, most of the other people it's around 50-150. The servers I play are all American. Sometimes I feel that when I'm being shot at, there's a very slight delay until anything happens when I pull the trigger, or when I'm shooting a moving target the same thing happens. I don't think it's due to poor skills.

If your ping is 300 your at a disadvantage. I found that around 250 ping is tolerable if your good enough. I play COD2 on pc (I play on ps3 online more these days) and the best pings my connection would get is around 90 on aussie servers, 250 ping was a Washington State server and 200 to 220 for California servers.

We recently got a faster internet connection but I don't play online on the pc as much anymore.

With your ping for World at War, your best bet is to just camp to get the dogs, then charge in with the mp40 :yes:

mashman
28th December 2010, 16:51
I got fed up with it and ditched my Live subscription. Farkin superb when you're the host :yes:, but that 1 time in a billion just doesn't make up for it. I used to rewatch incidents (Halo 3) where i'd died for no reason. What I saw in game, was not what was recorded and showed the effects of lag. Basically the guy who's just pulled a shotty on ya isn't standing in front of you where you've just planted your fist, he's next to you and wondering what you're shooting and punching at. Sniping was almost always pointless. So i chucked it.

Gibbo89
28th December 2010, 17:14
I got fed up with it and ditched my Live subscription. Farkin superb when you're the host :yes:, but that 1 time in a billion just doesn't make up for it. I used to rewatch incidents (Halo 3) where i'd died for no reason. What I saw in game, was not what was recorded and showed the effects of lag. Basically the guy who's just pulled a shotty on ya isn't standing in front of you where you've just planted your fist, he's next to you and wondering what you're shooting and punching at. Sniping was almost always pointless. So i chucked it.

My mate has that cable broadband (compared to the dsl broadband) and he is often in games (modern warfare 2) and has full internet (full green bars for this particular game). If I had this it would be great but I'm often 1 bar short of full. I've had a play on his ps3, and you notice the difference in quality of broadband. Your reaction times are a lot better when you suddenly run around the corner and see someone and the first one to start shooting is the one who will most likely win that 1 on 1.

It's almost better when people can host games compared to dedicated servers, Americans obviously would not give a shit. But when our broadband is a cable that runs on the ocean floor all the way to Hawaii, then it matters to us. I can't fucking wait for that fibre optic broadband thing to roll out across the country.

pete376403
28th December 2010, 19:59
Grandson was here playing COD modern warfare online today, ping was 75 (Saturn cable) to Aust server.
Didn't help him, he still got fragged continuously.

SMOKEU
28th December 2010, 22:54
My mate has that cable broadband (compared to the dsl broadband) and he is often in games (modern warfare 2) and has full internet (full green bars for this particular game). If I had this it would be great but I'm often 1 bar short of full. I've had a play on his ps3, and you notice the difference in quality of broadband. Your reaction times are a lot better when you suddenly run around the corner and see someone and the first one to start shooting is the one who will most likely win that 1 on 1.

It's almost better when people can host games compared to dedicated servers, Americans obviously would not give a shit. But when our broadband is a cable that runs on the ocean floor all the way to Hawaii, then it matters to us. I can't fucking wait for that fibre optic broadband thing to roll out across the country.

I'm on cable and the ping is still too high for overseas servers.

Gibbo89
28th December 2010, 22:57
I'm on cable and the ping is still too high for overseas servers.

Are you on the telstra one, maybe that's the only one in Chch available but that shit is fast. What part of the USA are you being hosted on do you know?

SMOKEU
28th December 2010, 22:58
Are you on the telstra one, maybe that's the only one in Chch available but that shit is fast. What part of the USA are you being hosted on do you know?

Yeah I'm with Telstra, it's the 15mbps connection. I'm not really sure which part of the USA the servers are, but since most online gaming servers are US based it's a good benchmark to use.

Gibbo89
28th December 2010, 23:02
Yeah I'm with Telstra, it's the 15mbps connection. I'm not really sure which part of the USA the servers are, but since most online gaming servers are US based it's a good benchmark to use.

Yip, your internet goes to the USA via Hawaii, so it's a good gauge. Otherwise you go through Asia.

I guess certain games effect your ping too. If my connection wasn't running very well then my ping would bounce around like a dude on E.

Cayman911
28th December 2010, 23:02
fibre, 4ms ping. good to go

SMOKEU
28th December 2010, 23:03
Yip, your internet goes to the USA via Hawaii, so it's a good gauge. Otherwise you go through Asia.

I guess certain games effect your ping too. If my connection wasn't running very well then my ping would bounce around like a dude on E.

lol. Do you play World at War?

Gibbo89
28th December 2010, 23:06
lol. Do you play World at War?

I did on a mates 360 last year with telstra internet. It ran well on against all the Aussie players you come up against, I tried it on my ps3 after modern warfare 2 came out and the game was almost deserted.

I found that on telstra I would find myself hosting servers too, which was fucking handy.

SMOKEU
28th December 2010, 23:07
I did on a mates 360 last year with telstra internet. It ran well on against all the Aussie players you come up against, I tried it on my ps3 after modern warfare 2 came out and the game was almost deserted.

I found that on telstra I would find myself hosting servers too, which was fucking handy.

I might actually get Black Ops once I've built myself a decent gaming rig, then I'll host a server. It will be good to get a few people from NZ to join in just to even things up a bit.

Gibbo89
28th December 2010, 23:10
I might actually get Black Ops once I've built myself a decent gaming rig, then I'll host a server. It will be good to get a few people from NZ to join in just to even things up a bit.

It has a very similar feel to Wold at War in terms of graphics etc. Some cool new features though. The wager matches etc are fun.

Grubber
29th December 2010, 06:27
Do any of you feel that you're being negatively affected by having an excessively high ping?

I used to have PING but not any more.
Figured it was better having real life than having PING.:facepalm:

James Deuce
29th December 2010, 06:52
The biggest issue for NZers playing games in Nth America is not the ping times but the fact that Sprint handles most NZ traffic when it arrives on the mainland. The only online game I play is Aces High 2, a WWII Air combat game and after years of putting up with >300ms pings (but reasonably stable netstat) sat down with the AH2 tech guy and using trace route managed to do some traffic shaping to avoid Sprint everywhere except the entry point. Net result is 100ms carved off that ping time and no more rubber bullets. Sprint are notorious for packet queuing everything despite public assurances that they shape their packets based on traffic type.

Grasshopperus
30th December 2010, 12:10
Lag kills more NZers everyday than die on our roads in a year. We should petition the government for funding or something.

SMOKEU
30th December 2010, 13:00
It has a very similar feel to Wold at War in terms of graphics etc. Some cool new features though. The wager matches etc are fun.

My computer handles World at War just fine at 1680X1050 with all the graphics turned up to the max, but it won't play Black ops with decent frame rates at that resolution even with the graphics turned down low. Once I sell my cage I'll be building up a decent gaming rig.

avgas
30th December 2010, 13:51
how the hell can you have 300ms ping these days - that crazy talk.
Back in the ol NetMech days I had 300ms ping on a 56K modem.

Also you guys should play this - its awesome
http://www.spaceparanoidsonline.com/

SMOKEU
30th December 2010, 15:53
how the hell can you have 300ms ping these days - that crazy talk.
Back in the ol NetMech days I had 300ms ping on a 56K modem.

This is off a NZ server.

http://www.pingtest.net/result/31161861.png (http://www.pingtest.net)

American servers tend to have a much higher ping for those of us in NZ.