PDA

View Full Version : Screens?

scumdog
16th June 2005, 20:18
I've just got a Givi screen from the Harley dealers in Dunedin on 'trial'

What I'd like to know is; what tips have any of you got for fitting one? (any wise cracks will be suitably ignored :wait: ) but I've never had a bike with one so any ideas on hight/angle etc would be appreciated.

scumdog
16th June 2005, 21:39
C'mon guys, a little advice eh? :wait:

Waylander
16th June 2005, 22:06
You got a pic of it so I we can see how it attaches to your bike?

As for angle and that it depends on how big it is.

NordieBoy
16th June 2005, 22:17
Well put it on so that it fits and doesn't look crap.
Take it for a ride.
Adjust angle/height to get rid of any violent head shaking filling rattling vibrations that may be caused by the wind turbulence over the top of it. :D

James Deuce
16th June 2005, 22:20
Hitcher is actually an expert having fitted them to Mrs Hitcher's bike and tuned out rattles and stuff.

Drop him a line I reckon.

scumdog
16th June 2005, 22:35
You got a pic of it so I we can see how it attaches to your bike?

As for angle and that it depends on how big it is.

It's a 'standard' Givi multi-fit screen with two struts that allow fitting to the handle-bars.

Did not get it in a box hence no model no.

Waylander
16th June 2005, 22:40
It's a 'standard' Givi multi-fit screen with two struts that allow fitting to the handle-bars.

Did not get it in a box hence no model no.
Hmm. Well if it's one of them big ones then your on your own but if it's a little one just big enough to keep the wind off yer chest, you want it to be in front of your chest set low enough so you can see over it. Angle should be so it just puts most of the wind over your head.

Motu
16th June 2005, 22:46
Go down to the local Bank and sit on the bike outside the big windows - adjust the angle so it makes you look cool....at least to a chick - gotta think girly now,but that shouldn't be hard for you.

I'm not worried about any repercussions from this post - he said he was going to ignore the wisecracks.....

FROSTY
16th June 2005, 22:49
is it a spitfire or one of the big suckers.
Either way ya may have a problem --harleys have inch bars whereas most jappas have 3/4 inch--the clamps may not fit.
Anyhoo when I fitted a spitfire to my xj900n it was a matter of trial and error.
Points to watch for.
1) make sure the mounting rods dont hit the tank -could leave a dent
2)trial fit the screen on its own to see where its gonna sit-without the mounting rods saves a lot of drama.
2) make sure any contact points are well insulated because it will rub otherwise -one usual spot is the top of the headlight.
3) once ya think youv'e got it right go for a ride -then retighten all the clamps.
4)if its one of the bigger screens dont be scared to trim it back at the bottom to fit the bike better-the rubber trim puls off and you can trefit it after trimming.
5) again if its one of the bigger screens you will find it will probably move around if you only use the two mounts -I'd suggest once ya get it angled right to fit two lower mounts to stabilise things.

scumdog
16th June 2005, 22:56
is it a spitfire or one of the big suckers.
Either way ya may have a problem --harleys have inch bars whereas most jappas have 3/4 inch--the clamps may not fit.
Anyhoo when I fitted a spitfire to my xj900n it was a matter of trial and error.
Points to watch for.
1) make sure the mounting rods dont hit the tank -could leave a dent
2) make sure any contact points are well insulated because it will rub otherwise
3) once ya think youv'e got it right go for a ride -then retighten all the clamps.

Thanks FROSTY, Yeah the H-D shop knew it was for a Sporty with 1" bars, it's also one of the smaller screens and only has two struts, one to each bar.

And Motu, you'll keep :niceone:

FROSTY
16th June 2005, 23:07
easy peasy mate.
Like I said
first time up DON'T use the mounting rods just sit the blade on the bike and figure out where ya want it.
you'll see then where the handlebar clamps should sit -straight back from the mounting holes -bolt the handlebar clamps in place not tight but tight enough so it takes some effort to turn em around.
fit the L brackets to the screen and again dont tighten em right up but they need to be hard to move.see if they slide freely into the top of the clamps on the handlebars.
You will find the bottom edge of the screen will rest on ya headlight rim
Once its all lined up tighten all the clamps down
The idea is to have the screen even on both sides so it doesn't cause the deadly bar wobbles.

TonyB
17th June 2005, 08:21
Expecting this to be 'suitably ignored' :devil2:

Scumdog, I can't believe it! Are you not the same man that said;

Personaly I think ANY 'screen is an admission of 'orribleness and not keeping with the spirit of m'cycling.
and the eloquently put;

Total exposure to the elements which enhance unsullied thoughts, a clarity of mind, and a contact with your maker - and I jest you nought for that is my thoughts when I ride, for never before do your activities put you in mind with the fragility of life and your maker.
:nono:
I wonder you'll go back to unfaired once you have experienced the screen?

Lou Girardin
17th June 2005, 10:44
Star with the top of the screen just below eye level then try it, adjust the height and/or angle if you're getting too much buffeting.

PS softcock :niceone:

scumdog
17th June 2005, 11:56
Expecting this to be 'suitably ignored' :devil2:

Scumdog, I can't believe it! Are you not the same man that said;

and the eloquently put;

:nono:

C'mon guy, it a teeny-weny screen, not a big CatchAllTheWindAndMakeItSeemLikeDrivingaCar sail arrangement.

(You bastard! Where did you dredge THAT post from??)

vifferman
17th June 2005, 12:00
Angle should be so it just puts most of the wind over your head.
... if you want maximum turbulence. :whistle:

TonyB
17th June 2005, 12:03
C'mon guy, it a teeny-weny screen, not a big CatchAllTheWindAndMakeItSeemLikeDrivingaCar sail arrangement.

(You bastard! Where did you dredge THAT post from??)
Here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=96339&postcount=52) and here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=96349&postcount=54)
BUHAHAHAHahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa
My memory long like elephants. Me part elephant. Wife know which part.

scumdog
17th June 2005, 13:08
Here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=96339&postcount=52) and here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=96349&postcount=54)
BUHAHAHAHahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa
My memory long like elephants. Me part elephant. Wife know which part.

Its arse???? :bleh:

MikeL
17th June 2005, 13:25

I had a large Givi screen on my GSX1200 and I have a Spitfire on the XJR. With the Givi screen on the GSX I found that the screen itself produced some buffeting around 95-105 kmh, but above that it made things a lot more comfortable. At 160+ the difference was very marked. I took the screen off to do a Pukekohe track day last year and found that at 180 without the screen I was hanging on for dear life...
I hadn't got round to putting the screen back on before I wrote the GSX off, so it's still sitting at home (offers, anyone?)
I haven't experimented taking the screen off the XJR, but I expect the results would be similar.

TonyB
17th June 2005, 13:50
Its arse???? :bleh:
:lol: :rofl: :killingme Bastard! If I keep laughing like that at work someone is going to suspect something! :niceone:

NordieBoy
17th June 2005, 14:15
The problem with the screens (I've got a modified small spitfire handlebar mount jobbie) is that they look crap.

I've got mine mounted so my head is in clear air.

Cons...
Crap looks.

Plussesses...
Less wind in yer chest.
Less holding on for dear life.
Bugs just bounce off it and over your head.
Mileage has gone from 150km per tank to 200km (Took the screen off and it went back to 150km).
2 allen screws and it's sitting on the bench at home if I need to look cool on the bike for any reason.

Fran
:):):)

thehollowmen
17th June 2005, 15:01
next time you come up, give me a call or something and we can have lunch.

There are two really good mexican places in town now :-)

scumdog
17th June 2005, 15:07
The problem with the screens (I've got a modified small spitfire handlebar mount jobbie) is that they look crap.

Cons...
Crap looks.

Plussesses...
Less wind in yer chest.
Less holding on for dear life.
Bugs just bounce off it and over your head.
Mileage has gone from 150km per tank to 200km (Took the screen off and it went back to 150km).
2 allen screws and it's sitting on the bench at home if I need to look cool on the bike for any reason.

Fran
:):):)

Thanks for the info, yeah, I intended only going to have the screen on for the winter i.e.Brass Monkey, Bike for Kids rallies etc (to save C.B freezing you understand - it's not for MY benefit) but with an increase of economy I might just leave the ugly thing on!!

Artifice
17th June 2005, 16:35
rofl dude. thx for the evil quotes tonyb. im sure Scumdog is happy not living in "the true spirit of motorcycling" if it keeps 'her behind' warmer. i wonder when he's going to attach heated handlebar grips and an air freshner to the handlebars too? hell he may end up riding a BMW rofl

White trash
17th June 2005, 16:37
Simple.

Chuck the fucker in the nearest rubbish bin and ride away.

Only gay Harleys have screens mate.

vifferman
17th June 2005, 16:38
... with an increase of economy I might just leave the ugly thing on!!
Don't be stupid.
Bikes is toys; economy is irrelevant.

Wolf
17th June 2005, 16:40
rofl dude. thx for the evil quotes tonyb. im sure Scumdog is happy not living in "the true spirit of motorcycling" if it keeps 'her behind' warmer. i wonder when he's going to attach heated handlebar grips and an air freshner to the handlebars too? hell he may end up riding a BMW rofl
I don't think you should be thinking about SD's missus's behind and how warm it is...

Waylander
17th June 2005, 17:45
Simple.

Hence why when the bike became mine I took the thing that my dad had on it off.

Biff
17th June 2005, 18:35
Sorry SD but :rofl: :rofl:

Top recall Tony!!

Oh the pain - my sides hurt.

TonyB
17th June 2005, 20:41
Sorry SD but :rofl: :rofl:

Top recall Tony!!

Oh the pain - my sides hurt.
Glad to oblige! All part of my freindly service :devil2:

gav
17th June 2005, 21:13

Cons...
Crap looks.

Its going on a Harley, so won't look out of place :whistle: :motu:

scumdog
18th June 2005, 04:59
Simple.

Well it was either that or start wearing a full-face helmet and gloves :wait:

scumdog
11th July 2005, 08:53
After the trip to Roxburgh in the weekend with said screen in place I decided it's not worth the visor-vibrations, side-wind catching etc so off it comes.

I did spend some time setting it up for best effect but I guess I'm just too tall to get the maximum benefit.

(did keep some of the sleet/wind off my manly chest - and helped me locate a fractured battery earth strap!! - long story)