PDA

View Full Version : Auckland to New Plymouth?

mattian
31st December 2010, 18:37
How long would you expect this trip to take? on the motorcycle.

I could work it out roughly, estimating kms per hour over distance travelled including break times etc etc but, thought it would be easier to just ask those of you who have already done it.

Thanks and happy new year.

cs363
31st December 2010, 18:55
4 hours +/- depending on route....and speed....and.... well, you get the idea :D

FJRider
31st December 2010, 19:09
where's Auckland ... ??? :blink:

cs363
31st December 2010, 19:12
where's Auckland ... ??? :blink:

Almost far enough away from New Plymouth..... :lol:

FJRider
31st December 2010, 19:18
It doesn't really matter how long it takes ... If you live in New Plymouth you're going home ... AND leaving Auckland. (2 +'s)

No downside there ... it just takes as long as it takes ...

cs363
31st December 2010, 19:20
It doesn't really matter how long it takes ... If you live in New Plymouth you're going home ... AND leaving Auckland. (2 +'s)

No downside there ... it just takes as long as it takes ...

Can't argue with that.

...........When did you start getting sensible???! :lol:

FJRider
31st December 2010, 19:24
...........When did you start getting sensible???! :lol:

Ooooop's

sorry ... :killingme

mattian
31st December 2010, 20:01
lol..... thanks guys. wow, 4 hours. Ok, thats not bad. Not bad at all.

cs363
31st December 2010, 20:10
lol..... thanks guys. wow, 4 hours. Ok, thats not bad. Not bad at all.

If you haven't done the trip before and you want to allow for a few stops etc., you might want to add an extra 30 minutes to an hour to be safe, especially with holiday traffic and revenue gatherers around :)
Are you going via the main road or taking a more scenic route (you don't have a lot of options past Piopio unless you're an adventure rider...?

mattian
31st December 2010, 20:16
If you haven't done the trip before and you want to allow for a few stops etc., you might want to add an extra 30 minutes to an hour to be safe, especially with holiday traffic and revenue gatherers around :)
Are you going via the main road or taking a more scenic route (you don't have a lot of options past Piopio unless you're an adventure rider...?

Yep definately. I will take regular stops. My longest ride to date has been to Hamilton which, I am guessing would be just under half-way?
Looks like State highway 3 looks like the most direct route. Quite scenic too if it goes out via the coast.

FJRider
31st December 2010, 20:24
Words of advice.

Leave your watch in your pocket ...

Only two things you need concern yourself with/think about on the ride ... where your next refuel will be, and the hundred metres of road directly ahead of you ...

mattian
31st December 2010, 20:38
Words of advice.

Only two things you need concern yourself with/think about on the ride ... where your next refuel will be, and the hundred metres of road directly ahead of you ...

Thankyou. understood :yes:

BMWST?
31st December 2010, 20:39
Yep definately. I will take regular stops. My longest ride to date has been to Hamilton which, I am guessing would be just under half-way?
Looks like State highway 3 looks like the most direct route. Quite scenic too if it goes out via the coast.

you very rarely see the sea,even though the lower half is called the surf highway

FJRider
31st December 2010, 20:46
you very rarely see the sea,even though the lower half is called the surf highway

I went through the King country once (or twice) ... never saw any fucking kings ... :shit:

A few Queens in Te Awamutu though ...

pritch
31st December 2010, 20:47
I haven't done the trip for ummm three days now?

Most of us use the by-pass route which misses out Hamilton. (Turn right at the big BP at Ngauruwahia then left over the railway line, heading for Otorohanga.)

Some nice places to stop and refuel yourself:

The cafe on the right at Pirongia almost opposite the War Memorial Hall.

Bosco's at Taumarunui on the right just after the Shell station on the left as you enter the town.

And there's a very nice one at PioPio on the left as you enter the town, just after the little park and the public toilets.

I'm not suggesting you stop and try them all...

Enjoy the ride

Pussy
31st December 2010, 20:49
Words of advice.

Great post!!

SPman
31st December 2010, 22:46
The old man would do it in 4 hrs in 1938!

GSXR Trace
31st December 2010, 23:13
I agree with the others, don't worry about how long it takes you because there are some really nice stretches of road through there so enjoy them!! Those of us who do it regularly obviously do it a little faster, but for me that is just 'cause i want to get home and as far away from auckland as possible as quickly as possible! haha

Definitely bypass hamilton by taking the backcut from Ngaruawahia to Otorohanga and suggest that you fill up at Te Kuiti, just in case!

and another time, once you have done a few more trips doing longer distances, turn off after te kuiti (at 8 mile peg - 11 kms south of te kuiti) and go to taumaranui and then head down the forgotten highway to the naki... awesome riding!

Gremlin
31st December 2010, 23:27
If your longest trip has been Hamilton, I wouldn't expect you to do it in 4 hours, especially not at this time of year. As has been said, time shouldn't matter too much. As a guide, with a couple of medium stops, I would expect 5-6 hours, depending on how soon you get sore/tired. I did that leg as part of a training ride a month or two ago, no stops, in less than 4 hours, but a proper ride for me is 1000km.

For long distance riding (hundreds of km), averaging 100kph (including stops) is not a calculation you use. Averaging any more than 80 is good going, average rider, expect around 70-80kph, depending on how often you stop etc. Also depends on how often you have to fill your bike, but you need to know your gas range.

Zamiam
1st January 2011, 08:53
Its a comfortable 4 1/2 hours. But as you don't know the road allow at least 5. For stops the cafes suggested are great although if you go looking for Boscos in Taumarunui you won't find it as its in Te Kuiti (plus if you're in Taumarunui you've f&*ked up). Best places for toilet breaks are Pirongia (about half way) on right opposite bakery or Pio Pio on left just before bridge. Both spots are very near food/drink outlets.

Be aware there is no gas between Pio Pio and Awakino and it Awakino is closed then basically it will be New Plymouth. Depending on time of travel Te Kuiti is last fill (no 24 hr stations between their and New Plymouth) and this is around 2 hours for those of us who know the road) and 160k.

Unusual to see a revenue gatherer between Pio Pio and Mt Messenger BUT watch once you come off the bottom of Mt Messenger as its a very heavily taxed area!

Its a nice ride once you get off the bloody motorway - to me nothing more boring than the run down the Southern at 100km/hr.

Ride safe, to your ability and to the conditions!

Mystic13
1st January 2011, 09:19
I haven't done the trip for ummm three days now?

Most of us use the by-pass route which misses out Hamilton. (Turn right at the big BP at Ngauruwahia then left over the railway line, heading for Otorohanga.)

Bosco's at Taumarunui on the right just after the Shell station on the left as you enter the town.

Enjoy the ride

Bosco's is in Te Kuiti. You'd only do the Big T (Taumarunui) if doing the Forgotten Highway.

As for short cuts,

Many turn right at Rangiriri (Just after Hampdon Downs), turn right, over the one lane bridge then zip down the back through Huntly, And into the back of Ngaruawhahia, then down to Otorohonga. Check out the maps before you go.

You can gas at Otorohonga and skip Te Kuiti, by turning right opposite the aerodrome (field with hangars next to it). This will take you over the back and past 8 Mile Junction (The T intersection to Taumarunui). And the road is usually empty.

If you weren't in a hurry there are a fair few scenic routes.

Enjoy the ride.

pritch
1st January 2011, 10:06
Bosco's at Taumarunui

Oooops mea culpa, a brain fart. It is Te Kuiti of course.

boman
2nd January 2011, 09:07
Bosco's is in Te Kuiti. You'd only do the Big T (Taumarunui) if doing the Forgotten Highway.

As for short cuts,

Many turn right at Rangiriri (Just after Hampdon Downs), turn right, over the one lane bridge then zip down the back through Huntly, And into the back of Ngaruawhahia, then down to Otorohonga. Check out the maps before you go.

You can gas at Otorohonga and skip Te Kuiti, by turning right opposite the aerodrome (field with hangars next to it). This will take you over the back and past 8 Mile Junction (The T intersection to Taumarunui). And the road is usually empty.

If you weren't in a hurry there are a fair few scenic routes.

Enjoy the ride.

Agreed. Going to Wanganui, thats the way we go. Less traffic. The road is pretty damn good. And more corners to play on. Bombay BP to Tamuranui, is 241km. If you want to do it in one hit. Or stop for gas in Te Kuiti. The follow the coast road down. That is a great ride. Lovely scenery, great roads, heaps of nice twisties. An absolute blast.

marty
2nd January 2011, 10:00
http://tinyurl.com/28t4vs9

bombsquad
2nd January 2011, 10:22
My longest ride to date has been to Hamilton which, I am guessing would be just under half-way?.

LOL hardly, its 1/4 of the way at best. The rough outline of the trip is aux to hamilton 1/4, hamilton to Tekuiti 1/4, Tekuiti to Mokau 1/4 and Moaku to NP 1/4.
The road from Tekuiti to Np will likely have road works and be very cautious through the gorges. Check your fuel before you leave Tekuiti as your pretty much fucked if you run out (theres 2 gas stations between there and Uranui and they arnt always open)
The last 1/4 from Mokau to NP does run along the coast and is quite nice on a fine day, and for the record whoever complained about it being called the surf highway needs to ride the actual surf highway from Wiatara round to opunaki and then rethink their comment :yes:

marty
2nd January 2011, 10:25
hamilton is 1/3 of the way. 33% of the total travel distance.

and mokau > NP is heavily policed.

I suugest riding via Taumaranui/Forgotten Highway. Much quieter :)

thehollowmen
2nd January 2011, 13:02
You shouldn't even be going via Hamilton. Take state highway 39 (turn right then left at the BP) from Ngauawahia and head to Otorohanga.

Shorter, faster, less traffic, a little bit twister = Much more fun and saves you navigating Hamilton and about 20 minutes on the trip.

Used to do this run ALL the time. Well, Whangarei to NP. Girlfriend lived there :love:

The guys at that BP are good sorts, if I was too tired they would let me sleep on my bike (odd skill that, don't ask) or have a quick nap inside.

Naki Rat
2nd January 2011, 16:16
Surf Highway is SH45 which starts at New Plymouth and heads to Hawera via Opunake