PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki GSX1400 (2008)

Bob
2nd January 2011, 01:43
The GSX1400 was created by Suzuki as their entrant into the large-capacity, naked musclebike class. Originally intended for the Japanese market only, it was released onto the worldwide market in 2001, until it was sadly discontinued in 2008. During that time there was little change, except the exhaust going from a 4-2-2- to a 4-2-1 system and remapping the fuel injection.

The model borrowed from John’s of Romford Suzuki Branch was the final, 2008 model, with just 2,600 miles on the clock, on sale for £5,499 (April 2010). It featured a tiny nose screen in front of the clocks, crash bars and Yoshimura exhaust.

Despite the physically impressive 500lbs dry weight and 1402cc of engine, I felt instantly at home. The GSX1400 carries weight low and the fuel injection is sorted perfectly, allowing you to dial in controlled amounts of power, even at low revs. The upright riding position is both neutral and natural, with the bars just wide enough to give full control but without having to stretch.

Click here to read the rest of the review (http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/08gsx1400.htm)

Dave C
19th January 2011, 13:15
Good review of a stonking good bike - but then I would say that since I own one! The 'softness' he mentions is easily dialled out - I had the inimitable Bungy at Cycletreads work his magic on mine ( a K7 Special Edition model) and the difference was amazing. Still very comfortable but way tighter and better balanced. With the standard settings there was always a bit of wallow if you hit any bumps mid-corner, which is not a good feeling on a heavy-ish bike, but now it stays on line and feels way more stable.

Mully
19th January 2011, 21:24
Fantastic bikes. Absolutely no regrets in buying mine

Not a big fan of those crash bars (that said, I'm having a drama trying to source frame sliders for mine)

200 miles of a tank no drama. Commuting with a bit of scratching of a weekend.

Quasievil
20th January 2011, 07:23
What do you guys think about the XJR, at risk sorry of hijacking but Im looking at the GSX1400 and the XJR1300
GSX1400 are rare..........cause they are good no one sells them Im picking !

North Harbour Yamaha
20th January 2011, 07:55
Hey Bret. Both very similar bikes. I did 40,000 kms on my 1400 and loved it. The XJR1300 has way better rear suspension with the Ohlins fitted as standard. The GSX has more low down grunt.

The XJR is injected from 07 onwards. They are hard to find second hand.

Quasievil
20th January 2011, 08:07
Hey Bret. Both very similar bikes. I did 40,000 kms on my 1400 and loved it. The XJR1300 has way better rear suspension with the Ohlins fitted as standard. The GSX has more low down grunt.

The XJR is injected from 07 onwards. They are hard to find second hand.

What deal you got for me on a XJR1300 , trading a 2008 R1 with 11000 kms on in ex condition?
Waikato have a XJR with 300 kms for $12995 I think, you got one ?

Dave C
20th January 2011, 09:25
I can't comment on the XJR, never having ridden one, but I doubt anyone would regret buying one. Colemans in Auckland had a new one for sale a while ago that had come from a receivership sale, or something. Good looking bike and they do have the Ohlins kit - I just find it hard to look past Suzukis, having owned 7 of them And the GSX is accurately described on the owners website as being 'like a magic carpet with a rocket up its arse!" :)