PDA

View Full Version : New rules from Aunty Helen coming

Lee Rusty
16th June 2005, 22:35
from Jan 16th 2006
Police will be able to suspend driving licences at the roadside for 28 days for people exceeding the posted speed limit by 40kph (currently 50kph)

THe thing that will need to watched here is speed through road works, if a posted speedlimit of 30kph, driving through at 71 kph will be 28 days of walking.

Also for exceeding blood alcohol levels of 130mg/100ml (currently 160mg/100ml)

also 3 strikes and your out law for drink driver who commit 3 offences in 4 years. on the third offence vehicles will be impounded for 28 days, licence to be suspended for more than a year meaning offenders will need to resit their practical driving test at the end of disqualifcation period.

Gremlin
16th June 2005, 22:41
from Jan 16th 2006
Police will be able to suspend driving licences at the roadside for 28 days for people exceeding the posted speed limit by 40kph (currently 50kph)

THe thing that will need to watched here is speed through road works, if a posted speedlimit of 30kph, driving through at 71 kph will be 28 days of walking.
:no: :eek5: :gob:

nooooo being a learner, I'm already exceeding the 50 (although trying not to, it just happens), 40 is even worse.

Especially the road works, plenty of 30s around, happy to slow if workers, I even give them a wave, but they leave the signs up when nobody is around...

I hates her I does... :yes:

WINJA
16th June 2005, 22:43
ITS SIMPLE DONT DRINK AND DRIVE , AND IF YOU SPEED BE PREPARED TO DO A RUNNER

Lee Rusty
16th June 2005, 23:07
drink driving changes as such - having spent time with police on checkpoints and seen some of the pissheads that they take off the road.

The danger is that the lower they make the limits the more people are likely to ignore them and go back to much higher levels over the limit. The old might as well get hung for a sheep as a lamb syndrome.

In anther two years or so there will be another 10km drop to be anyone doing 30 kph over the limit will be walking.

It wasnt long ago it was 160 was walking - then 150 - next year 140 - it will never go up because that would be deemed to be irresponsible.

the answer above already shows the thinking of some people - BE prepared to do a runner - is not an answer, and I bet that the writer would pull over for the man if he was red and blued. Big talk but Im willing to bet he wouldnt run.

WINJA
16th June 2005, 23:10
the answer above already shows the thinking of some people - BE prepared to do a runner - is not an answer, and I bet that the writer would pull over for the man if he was red and blued. Big talk but Im willing to bet he wouldnt run.
WANNA BET .

inlinefour
16th June 2005, 23:45
WANNA BET .

Those who make the most noise in life generally are the same ones that are full of it :weird:

Beemer
16th June 2005, 23:55
:no: :eek5: :gob:

nooooo being a learner, I'm already exceeding the 50 (although trying not to, it just happens), 40 is even worse.:

Umm, Gremlin, if you are a learner and exceeding the posted speed limit by 50kph (in other words, doing 100kph in a 50 zone, 120 in a 70 and 150 in a 100kph zone) then you won't be a learner for long, you'll lose your licence before you get it! :yes:

Me hopes you were a little confused by Lee's comments and mean you are riding at more than 50kph - in a 50kph zone, not exceeding posted speed limits by 50kph! :no:

It certainly will make it harder for motorcyclists, not that anyone is above the law, it's just very easy to roll on the throttle and not realise quite how fast you are going until the flashing lights people tell you!

Gremlin
17th June 2005, 00:19
Umm, Gremlin, if you are a learner and exceeding the posted speed limit by 50kph (in other words, doing 100kph in a 50 zone, 120 in a 70 and 150 in a 100kph zone) then you won't be a learner for long, you'll lose your licence before you get it! :yes:

Me hopes you were a little confused by Lee's comments and mean you are riding at more than 50kph - in a 50kph zone, not exceeding posted speed limits by 50kph! :no:
I supposedly don't have a 100 zone, but I would like one :yes:

Around town is exactly what the speed is (well, OK 5 over) but in the country where it is 100 (and I'm supposed to do 70 with trucks etc :no: ) I have done up to 140. Just did 135 overtaking a slow, weaving car this afternoon, revs up, downhill and it just happened...

To say the least, I am a little apprehensive about getting a bigger bike, but can't wait (that is, if I have a license... :whistle: )

Gremlin
17th June 2005, 00:20
Oh, short answer: Yep, I know its margins above the limit... Damnable things they are...

campbellluke
17th June 2005, 00:26
That is a shame 150 is effective for passing rows of cars. But atleast my 130kmph cruising speed isn't under threat yet.

Indiana_Jones
17th June 2005, 00:28
I've said it once and I'll say it again...

Welcome to Helegrad......the burden to think for yourself has been taken away from you.

-Indy

Gremlin
17th June 2005, 00:37
What gets me is that you speak to any average person (on the ferry or whatever) and just about every one says the country is going down a shithole, Helen is evil etc.

BUT SHE IS STILL IN POWER... :weird:

Where is this hidden voting block...

Indiana_Jones
17th June 2005, 00:45

She's spending her "voting credits" :niceone:

-Indy

Jackrat
17th June 2005, 03:28
Don't see this as a bad thing at all,about time they started getting serious.
The blatant lie,admission of stupidity,that a person can't control the speed creep of their own vehicule is partly to blame,just the mind set that if you can come up with any half arsed excuse, makes it ok, is starting to wear thin.
The day can't be far away when you will need a key card type of thing to use a vehicule.That would solve the "I'll just do a runner BS".
Can't do a runner,or much of anything else if you can't start your car,bike ect ect.
Personaly look foward to the day when I don't have to share the roads with fools that can't control speed creep.They obviously don't have the skill to be on the road anyway.
BTW,I'm still voting Labour too. :motu:

crazylittleshit
17th June 2005, 03:43
from Jan 16th 2006

also 3 strikes and your out law for drink driver who commit 3 offences in 4 years. on the third offence vehicles will be impounded for 28 days, licence to be suspended for more than a year meaning offenders will need to resit their practical driving test at the end of disqualifcation period.

"Goodbye licence" Just another reason to vote for magilacartyserious Patry. (Please excuse spelling?) :niceone:

Lou Girardin
17th June 2005, 08:15
The 3 strikes rule applies to drink/driving offences only, does it not?
And the 40 over and walk will just encourage more runners. Victoria is 30 and over, any bets on when we get that?
But all this persecution is working, isn't it?
The road toll is only 26 up on last year.

TonyB
17th June 2005, 08:35
And the 40 over and walk will just encourage more runners. Victoria is 30 and over, any bets on when we get that?
I suspect you're right. Those that speed will probably still do it, as many believe it is both safe and their right. If the penalties become heavier and heavier they will just get better detection equipment and try to run when able.

Sparky Bills
17th June 2005, 08:57

And Fair enough too!!
I cant stand it when people complain after getting caught drunk behind the wheel!
Just more stupid people!

placidfemme
17th June 2005, 09:27
And Fair enough too!!
I cant stand it when people complain after getting caught drunk behind the wheel!
Just more stupid people!

I agree, there should be zero tolerance for people who drink drive... :weird:

Lou Girardin
17th June 2005, 09:40
I agree, there should be zero tolerance for people who drink drive... :weird:

Unless of course you're using one of the new asthma inhalers that cause people to blow positive after a puff!
Or you've had a sip of cough syrup with alcohol in it.
Still want zero tolerance?

Ixion
17th June 2005, 09:57
Unless of course you're using one of the new asthma inhalers that cause people to blow positive after a puff!

Or eaten a liquor chocolate
Or just come from Mass.
Or been cleaning something with methylated spirits.
Or lotsa other stuff

Be very very careful what ye wish for where politicians are concerned because tis certain that when they give it to thee (as they do subtle pun here ) thou wilt not like it.

Beemer
17th June 2005, 10:58
"Goodbye licence" Just another reason to vote for magilacartyserious Patry. (Please excuse spelling?) :niceone:

McGillicuddy Serious Party I think! But what we really need is for someone in power to ride bikes - and I don't mean John Banks/Harley type people! I mean someone who seriously understands the problems we face and is willing to do something about it.

The problem is, most of the people in power are academics rather than REAL people so the things they worry about don't concern us and vice versa!

eliot-ness
17th June 2005, 11:22
Or eaten a liquor chocolate
Or just come from Mass.
Or been cleaning something with methylated spirits.
Or lotsa other stuff

All of which are temporary aberrations and clear before the second test, (unless you are trying to hide something) Testing now is very sophisticated, Not so many loopholes as there was a few years ago.
So far the speed limits remain the same. Only the penalties have changed. The only ones who will suffer are the ones who are responsible for the changes. Remember, road rules are not aimed at bikers,they apply to everybody, car drivers, bikers, and even cyclists. If you continue to flout them be prepared for ever increasing penalties. It's a no win situation.
For those of you who think they are being unfairly targeted. On the road it's the fastest moving target that gets hit the most, bike or car. Keep the speeding for the back roads. It won't cost so much.
On the subject of politics. Does anybody really want Don Brash in power???

Pixie
17th June 2005, 11:34
from Jan 16th 2006

It's because there's too much compliance to the existing rules -revenue is dropping so they need to make it easier to find law breakers.
I predicted this!
For my future prediction I forsee random fluctuating speed limits,you'll never know if you are exceeding the limit :weird:

Pixie
17th June 2005, 11:37
What gets me is that you speak to any average person (on the ferry or whatever) and just about every one says the country is going down a shithole, Helen is evil etc.

Please ,refering to The Prime Minister by her first name is disrespectful.

In future use her correct title:The Hagg

XP@
17th June 2005, 12:05
It's because there's too much compliance to the existing rules -revenue is dropping so they need to make it easier to find law breakers.
I predicted this!
For my future prediction I forsee random fluctuating speed limits,you'll never know if you are exceeding the limit :weird:

We already have those in wellington... goin down SH1 what will it be today... 60, 80 or 100???

fortunatly there ain't many places for the cops to hang out and where the camera is maxes out at 80, and I don't think it adjusts when the limit is chopped to 60... anyone know?

Roadworks: 30kph is usually gravel, doing 30 on gravel scares the willies out of me! It is SO dangerous doing that kind of speed on gravel, cos you just can't control where you are going, every stone trys to throw you off. now 70kph, different story, all is sweet, ridin atop and much more control. And then the speed limit on narrow twisty gravel roads is 100kph. Maybee they should up the speed by 20kph when no work is being done.

As for the drink driving... agree with the zero tolarence.

JohnBoy
17th June 2005, 12:20

bloody good job! theres no excuse for speeding through roadworks.
we dont put up those signs just for the hell of it, its for everyones safety.

on the highways the speeds are set by the safe lane width, eg:
30k, 2.75m lane width
50k, 3.00m lane width
70 & 80k, 3,25 lane width
100k, 3.50m lane width

sAsLEX
17th June 2005, 13:01
What is shit is that SH1 has been a pice of crap for how many years now!?, with constant 80k limits cause there are cones on the side of the road, no roadworkers for 90% of the time just cones?! on our coutries major lifeline, the artery of the country is being clogged just like all the overwieght children...

placidfemme
17th June 2005, 13:19

Thats different, the person can demand a blood test (which the cops will happily oblidge to), and that will prove them innocent, they can also show the cops the inhaler or cough mixture... cops arn't totally stupid and use a fraction of common sense... unless your being abusive to them...

I don't drink. I'm not asthmatic, and when I'm sick enough to need cough mixture (like 2 weeks ago) I don't ride my bike... because if the cough mixture has even a slight amount of alcohol in it, then it "can" make the person drowsy... so they shouldn't be riding anyway...

Clockwork
17th June 2005, 14:22
Sorry, but if you get drowsy while riding your bike, you just ain't doin' it right!!! :nono: :nono:

Wolf
17th June 2005, 15:17
Well, I generally find that "Speed creep" doesn't take me much more than 10km/h over the speed I was doing prior, so I don't reckon I have anything to fear until they drop the walking level to 10km/h over.

As to zero tolerance for drink driving, I'm all for that. I'd even be for drugs testing - especially for the likes of "P" - and a zero tolerance of that as well.

I have no qualms when I see a copper waving the little box around at the checkpoints. If I've been drinking enough for a "Failed Youth" I generally won't drive/ride - and the only thing youthful about me is my attitude.

Oh, sorry, that's childish, not youthful... (Had to say that before TonyB, Ixion or LiasTZ could)

Eurygnomes
17th June 2005, 15:56
The problem is, most of the people in power are academics rather than REAL people

I'm a REAL person. Just spent an awful lot on an education is all! And when I take over the world, I'll get sand mixed in with the white paint - and potholes will be plastered over immediately (and levelled off when done so that they don't sink or rise). And I'll get rid of the green paint on bus lanes too.

Vote for Nomes.

Wolf
17th June 2005, 16:08
Vote for Nomes.
I'd vote for freakin' goblins if I thought they'd do a good job.

Ixion
17th June 2005, 16:15
I'm a REAL person. Just spent an awful lot on an education is all! And when I take over the world, I'll get sand mixed in with the white paint - and potholes will be plastered over immediately (and levelled off when done so that they don't sink or rise). And I'll get rid of the green paint on bus lanes too.

Vote for Nomes.

Ah votes. Don't agree with votes. I'm a Communist see (Did you realise that means you all have to give me your bikes? If they're any good that is. Cos Communism is about , from each according to his ability, to each according to his need. And you have to ability to give me the bikes, which I need. See it's simple. And now the ghost of Jock Barnes will come back to exact a terrible punishment on me ) .

So being a communist, I don't reckon on votes. What we need is a good old revolution, where the downtrodden proletariat install me as benevolant and absolute dictator, and overthrow the corrupt bourgeois running dogs of the Imperialist war lords .

Then we'll see some action .

Wolf
17th June 2005, 16:33
What we need is a good old revolution, where the downtrodden proletariat install me as benevolant and absolute dictator, and overthrow the corrupt bourgeois running dogs of the Imperialist war lords .

Then we'll see some action .
Look, I've already been generous enough to allow Vifferman (based on his Traffic Policies) to be co-Dictator with me so if you want to go for a Triumvirate you'll have to submit an impressive portfolio and I'll consider you.

More impressive than "gimme all your bikes", anyway.

Ixion
17th June 2005, 17:02
Look, I've already been generous enough to allow Vifferman (based on his Traffic Policies) to be co-Dictator with me so if you want to go for a Triumvirate you'll have to submit an impressive portfolio and I'll consider you.

More impressive than "gimme all your bikes", anyway.

Oh, OK, here's me portfolio. Standard Communist one actually. Got a good referee too.

Won't be a triumvirate though, cos there's only one of me. But you and Mr Vifferman can have the first two turns standing up against my special wall.

SPman
17th June 2005, 17:20
Aha - already we have the seeds of a good communist uprising, followed by a good old fashioned shoot -em - down.

I prefer the ice pick method though.....

TwoSeven
17th June 2005, 17:36
The press release.

15 June 2005 Media Statement
Law changes to improve transport safety and access
The conclusion of the third reading of the Land Transport Amendment Bill is set to make our transport system safer and more accessible for many New Zealanders says Transport Minister Pete Hodgson.

The main points of the legislation include:

It is now illegal for those with convictions for serious sexual or violent offences to hold Passenger endorsements (Convicted rapists and murderers barred from driving taxis)

Care workers specifically exempted from requiring a Passenger endorsements

Clarification of the rules allowing operators of courtesy transport services to continue to do so, and

Clarification of the rules applying to small electrically power vehicles such as mobility scooter

There are also significant changes to the law applying to the worst speeders and drink drivers. From 16 January 2006, the Police will have the power to suspend licences at the roadside for 28 days for exceeding the speed limit by 40km/hour or having a blood alcohol level above 130mg/100ml (or breath equivalent). There is no change to the blood alcohol limit of 80/100ml (or breath equivalent).

These changes to the law are designed to make transport safer and to improve access to it" says Pete Hodgson. "In the past, those with convictions for serious convictions had been able to apply to the courts for permission to hold a Passenger endorsement after they had been refused one by Land Transport New Zealand. The law will now specifically bar those with the most serious convictions from gaining or holding a passenger endorsement.

"There has also been concern raised around whether or not care workers who, for instance, take older New Zealanders to the shops or to medical appointments, are able to do so without a passenger endorsement. All doubt will now be removed as they are to be specifically exempted."

More detailed information is available at www.transport.govt.nz/current/issues/

Notes to editors

Drink-drivers and speeding drivers
Police can suspend driving licences at the roadside for 28 days for exceeding the speed limit by 40km/hour or having a blood alcohol level above 130mg/100ml (or breath equivalent). Previously roadside licence suspension applied for exceeding the posted limit by 50km/hour or having a blood alcohol level above 160mg/100mg. This provision applies from 16 January 2006. There is no change to the blood alcohol limit of 80/100ml (or breath equivalent).

A ' three strikes and you're out' approach for drink-drivers with a blood alcohol content over 80mg/100ml (or breath equivalent) who've committed three or more offences within four years. On the third offence vehicles will be immediately impounded for 28 days and licences disqualified for 'more than one year'. This means drivers will have to re-sit their practical driving test at the end of the disqualification. This applies from 16 January 2006.

Taxi drivers and holders of a Passenger endorsement licence
Taxi and bus drivers, and others with a passenger endorsement licence, will be automatically prohibited from driving in a passenger service if they are convicted of offences such as murder, sexual and serious violent offences. This comes into force from 16 January 2006 and will apply to previous offences as well as new ones.

A limited right of appeal will be provided for persons currently in the industry where:
· they have not been convicted of murder or sexual offences
· their qualifying serious offence occurred more than 10 years ago
· they have no other offences in the last 10 years that could have resulted in a prison sentence, and
· the Director is satisfied it would not be contrary to the public interest to reinstate the person's passenger endorsement.

Taxis will now have to display their cab number and information about their company in Braille. This new provision will come into force when a new Operator Licensing Rule is introduced.

In key metropolitan centres (Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin), drivers will now have to hold 'Area Knowledge ' certificates for the entire metropolitan area they operate in, instead of the more limited area where their Approved Taxi Organisation operates. This provision will apply when a new Operator Licensing Rule is introduced.

Commercial drivers
The Act updates licensing provisions for commercial transport services and work time restrictions for commercial drivers.

New 'chain of responsibility' provisions mean that someone who knowingly causes a driver to commit specified offences, may also be charged. The offences include work time, overloading, speeding and load security offences. The majority of provisions affecting commercial drivers will come into force at a later date to coincide with the relevant Land Transport rule. (Operator Licensing Rule or Work Time and Logbooks)

General public
Drivers can now be charged with driving offences causing injury or death in off-road situations. This includes dangerous, reckless and careless driving and driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. This provision comes into effect immediately.

People upgrading from a limited or restricted licence, will now have to hand in their old licence when they receive their new one. This new provision, which applies immediately, is designed to help enforce liquor laws.

Owners of electric scooters and bikes
Motorised vehicles such as electric scooters and bikes, are now exempt from 'motor vehicle' requirements if they have a power output of less than 300 watts. This applies immediately.

Note - The way in which the legislation is described in this press statement and notes to editors does not replace the wording used in the Bill as passed.

Ixion
17th June 2005, 17:41
Aha - already we have the seeds of a good communist uprising, followed by a good old fashioned shoot -em - down.

Ah , I can use an experienced specialist. Got a bit of a list waiting for the right man.

Ixion
17th June 2005, 17:43
Blurdy hell. Bugger the changes to 140kph. Does THIS BIT

Drivers can now be charged with driving offences causing injury or death in off-road situations. This includes dangerous, reckless and careless driving and driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. This provision comes into effect immediately.

mean what it appears to. That could totally screw just about all off road riding.

DingDong
17th June 2005, 17:46

I'm with you Winja... :ride:

Lee Rusty
17th June 2005, 18:33
dont get me wrong - I worked in traffic control at roadworks and I have no time for people who speed thru - however I also have no time for the workmen who have had a 45K roadworks sign up on DOn Bucks Rd in West Auckland for road works on a new side road and for the last three months have never put up a WORKS END sign.

Not all Road works are Gravel.

FOr road works on the motorway shoulder a 50kph is posted - the road workers go home, the road is unaffected, a normal 100k is maintained 1 or 2 lanes over - where do you stand?

Skyryder
17th June 2005, 18:51
WANNA BET .

So some of you guys in WINJ'S local set it up. Take him out for a cruise looking a cop, give WINJ some rope and let's see if he will hang himself.

You've bragged about it often enough WINJ. Let's see you DO IT.

Skyryder

ZorsT
17th June 2005, 18:56
I totally agree with the alcahol ruling but

is absolute bullshit.

I am also not happy about:

Police will have the power to suspend licences at the roadside for 28 days for exceeding the speed limit by 40km/hour

This will cause more people to do a runner, and there-by actually make the roads more dangerous for all involved.
This means being caught going 110k on a learner motorbike license will cause either

a) a runner attempt where one would not have been before
b)or the rider walking for the next 28 days...
or - PERHAPS c) the rider pulling over and getting off scot free

Both option A and B are bad...

It is now illegal for those with convictions for serious sexual or violent offences to hold Passenger endorsements (Convicted rapists and murderers barred from driving taxis)

This i can also live with

But i am still not happy :mad:

Who do I yell at?

TwoSeven
17th June 2005, 19:56
Its interesting to see who didnt know the original laws.

I believe the 40 over bit used to be 50k over so not much difference.

The offroad rule is mainly to stop boy racers going down the local river bed and killing people - happens a lot down here.

Kickaha
17th June 2005, 20:34
The offroad rule is mainly to stop boy racers going down the local river bed and killing people - happens a lot down here.

Bullshit it does,when's the last time and how many times has it happened down here?

But in saying that I think its a bloody good idea :niceone:

ZorsT
17th June 2005, 20:46
Bullshit it does,when's the last time and how many times has it happened down here?

But in saying that I think its a bloody good idea :niceone:

But wouldn't it include racetracks?

Ixion
17th June 2005, 20:48

Motocross ?
Enduro?
Adventure rides ?

Lee Rusty
17th June 2005, 20:53
kph over speed limit is it used to 160 then 150 going to be 140 - al in the last couple of years - it is getting to the 120 mark where a lot of people do ride - and it wont take long to get there

120 and walking before 2008 is my bet.

Jeremy
17th June 2005, 21:07
By the year 2050 you won't even be able to do the speed limit posted.

ZorsT
17th June 2005, 21:49

and as a result, more people will be running, i know that will increase my willingness to run by lots more than I like

Bad bad mistake on the governments part....

This will bite them on the arse
People will die, you can't stop that

Kickaha
17th June 2005, 22:00

Quite possibly and having recently been in a race where fatal accident happend I have first hand experience of how it is investigated

If I am doing a trail ride or riding in a race and someone is riding in a dangerous manner or under the unfluence of drugs/alcohol or cause an accident due to his/her stupidity I would have no problem with them being charged with an offence

I'd be willing to bet after the first person is charged riding standards would improve

Ixion
17th June 2005, 22:09
Quite possibly and having recently been in a race where fatal accident happend I have first hand experience of how it is investigated

If I am doing a trail ride or riding in a race and someone is riding in a dangerous manner or under the unfluence of drugs/alcohol or cause an accident due to his/her stupidity I would have no problem with them being charged with an offence

I'd be willing to bet after the first person is charged riding standards would improve

Perhaps, but given that the person making the call as to what is careless, reckless etc would not be a biker, but a judge or magistrate who has almost certainly never ridden a bike, let alone off road, do you really want to go there.

You are going to get motocross, track racing etc being judged by the standards of road riding since that is the only standard the judge knows about. There is not a separate road code for off road, so the "standard" road code will necessarily be applied. The motocross defendant was clearly careless since he did not indicate his intention to turn by means of a hand signal ( no indicators). And what about speed. 140kph is going to be deemed dangerous on the road, regardless of circumstances. Will it also be de facto dangerous off road ? Remember, these are not bikers making that call, it is old grey men, who are at least 200 years old, and regard anybody having fun as a capital offence.

WINJA
17th June 2005, 22:26
So some of you guys in WINJ'S local set it up. Take him out for a cruise looking a cop, give WINJ some rope and let's see if he will hang himself.

You've bragged about it often enough WINJ. Let's see you DO IT.

Skyryder
WOW YOUR A DICK

nsrpaul
17th June 2005, 22:33
WOW YOUR A DICK

wow thats funny , I was thinkin the same thing , but about you know who :whistle:

WINJA
17th June 2005, 22:34
wow thats funny , I was thinkin the same thing , but about you know who :whistle:
HEY THE BULLSHITERS BACK

marty
17th June 2005, 22:34
i guess they could just leave it at criminal nuisance and manslaughter. from memory, under the old transport act 1962, reckless could be anywhere, dangerous had to be on a road. they are probably just tidying up the oversight when the 98 legislation was passed. it allows for instances such as one when i attended a fatal in the bush between a motorcycle and a moutain bike, on a mountain bike trail. the m/cyclist was charged with criminal nuisance. maybe everyone who is at fault in a vehicle related death should be charged with manslaughter - that would make it easy wouldn't it?

nsrpaul
17th June 2005, 22:35
HEY THE BULLSHITERS BACK
love you too , ya big stud :love:

marty
17th June 2005, 22:37
juast the thought of aunty helen coming sends a shiver up my spine...

nsrpaul
17th June 2005, 22:41
juast the thought of aunty helen coming sends a shiver up my spine...
a lot of you guys slag off helen , do you really think don brash would look after bikers , i reckon he would want even more cash out of ya
I'm voting labour , its the lesser of many evils

Bonez
18th June 2005, 08:16
Poor kiddies. Aunty Helen is doing the right thing if you read how many here tend to fall of the road. It's for your own good :motu: I'm with JackRat on this one. A point most seem to miss is it's for ALL road users not just motocycle riders. I've been passed by cage drivers on roadworks who should have known better, stones flying all over the place-take im away officer. :nono: Personnally it doesn't bother me at all. Maybe more race venues will spring up because of it. Helen has more balls than any other "leader" in Govt at the mo. :love: No, really it's a consperacy by Harley Davidson-Pssss but don't tell anyone I mentioned that :moon:

spudchucka
18th June 2005, 09:42
By then only the extremely wealthy will be able to afford to purchase fuel.

Pixie
18th June 2005, 09:50
a lot of you guys slag off helen , do you really think don brash would look after bikers , i reckon he would want even more cash out of ya
It's 'cos the Hagg's a slag :puke: :puke:

Jackrat
18th June 2005, 10:16

My point exactly.
Politics is definatly not my thing, but brash or Peters are really scary,an the Greens are so far off the planet they'd have us all eating our wheaties with politicly correct wooden spoons while bending over to take it from the great gods Green Peace an F&B,while paying roylatys to the lastest sudo Maori tribe.
The CH party would drag us back into the dark ages over night.
As for the road rules,all these things are a direct result of the attitudes that are reflected on this site and others on a dayly basis.
We all know that the testing of GPS monitoring is going on in places like France,the UK ect right now.
The day WILL come when all vehicules will carry GPS, an The powers that be will simply shut you down with the push of a button.
Any runner we do then will invole sandshoes.
Anybody that doubts this should consider how many people had internet access only twenty years ago.
I don't agree with any of this shit but you better belive it's coming.
This week the laws were changed so that the police don't need a warrent to search and detain for certain drugs.On the face of it,maybe a good thing,but who wants to bet against it being abused??
Not me!!!

WINJA
18th June 2005, 10:55
My point exactly.
Politics is definatly not my thing, but brash or Peters are really scary,an the Greens are so far off the planet they'd have us all eating our wheaties with politicly correct wooden spoons while bending over to take it from the great gods Green Peace an F&B,while paying roylatys to the lastest sudo Maori tribe.
The CH party would drag us back into the dark ages over night.
As for the road rules,all these things are a direct result of the attitudes that are reflected on this site and others on a dayly basis.
We all know that the testing of GPS monitoring is going on in places like France,the UK ect right now.
The day WILL come when all vehicules will carry GPS, an The powers that be will simply shut you down with the push of a button.
Any runner we do then will invole sandshoes.
Anybody that doubts this should consider how many people had internet access only twenty years ago.
I don't agree with any of this shit but you better belive it's coming.
This week the laws were changed so that the police don't need a warrent to search and detain for certain drugs.On the face of it,maybe a good thing,but who wants to bet against it being abused??
Not me!!!
I THINK EVEN THE GREENS HAVE SOMETHING VERY GOOD TO OFFER THEY SHOULD HAVE PUSHED THE ANTI GM THING HARDER , IM VERY OPPOSED TO GM FOODS WHY MODIFY A POTATO WHEN THEY COST $4 FOR 10KG AT MY LOCAL , ITS CORPORATE GREED AND FUCKING WITH NATURE/GODS CREATION FOR NO GOOD REASON , IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT I SAY . GM RESEARCH FOR MEDICAL REASONS WELL THATS DIFFERENT.
I REALLY APPRECIATED IT WHEN THOSE WILD GREEN TORE UP THAT GM POTATO CROP I WOULD LIKE TO SUPPORT THEM BUT THEY DONT LIKE CARS AND MOTORBIKES :no:

Skyryder
18th June 2005, 18:42
WOW YOUR A DICK

At least I've got one............. and balls with it. You brag a lot WINJ about doing a runner so where's your balls??

Skyryder

nsrpaul
18th June 2005, 21:12
At least I've got one............. and balls with it. You brag a lot WINJ about doing a runner so where's your balls??

Skyryder

quite likely he is compensating

Lou Girardin
21st July 2005, 10:20
I love some peoples reliance on officialdom using commonsense when applying these new laws and rules. It doesn't happen.
Did the Police use commonsense when they charged Astrid Anderson over the bike race fatality in ChCh?
Did they use commonsense when they charged the race officials at the Queenstown car race?
How many drivers that hadn't had tickets or accidents in years suddenly find they're accumulating demerits for piss-ant speeding offences. A friend staying with us at the moment has had two in 4 months on her weekly commute from Kaitaia. She'd never had a ticket in her life.
This Govt has been taking our basic rights little by little for 6 years now and justifying it with lies. When are you going to wake up and say enough?
When they ban bikes? When they enforce GPS monitoring?

scumdog
21st July 2005, 14:57

Yep, 'cos NOBODY ever got convicted for EBA after one of the above incidents, they only affect the 'sniffer'.

Lou Girardin
21st July 2005, 15:35
Yep, 'cos NOBODY ever got convicted for EBA after one of the above incidents, they only affect the 'sniffer'.

So, with zero tolerance in place, you're nervously waiting for the evidential test. Have another quick suck on the inhaler 'cause you're a bit wheezy, and bingo! you blow 2 mgm's, guilty, executed on the spot. Thank you and goodbye.

Wolf
21st July 2005, 15:37
That is quite a valid point. Sure, asthma inhalers, cough medicine or an overdose of perfume can trip the sniffer, but they then take you for an evidential test - one that checks the level of alcohol in your breath or blood - if you reckon that the asthma inhaler did you in, that would be backed up by the blood test. Inhalers don't pump your blood full of alcohol, if you get excess blood alcohol from cough syrup you'd have to be drinking it for recreational purposes and although the amount of perfume some women wear feels like it's getting you pissed, it's not - 'tis lack of breathable oxygen making your head spin, not an increase in blood alcohol level.

I'm pro "zero tolerance" for drink driving - mind you I am rather biased having experienced the problems incurred when a drink driver took out our family's only source of income - smashed into mum's cab, smashed her knee and made her unable to drive professionally ever again... she lost three passenger driving jobs that day.

Alcohol tolerance varies wildly day to day even within the "legal limit" and I'm not averse to taking myself off the driving roster if I feel tiddlier than usual on a "safe" level of alcohol. I might pass a breath screening test or an EBA, but what good is that if I actually am unsafe to drive?

Lou Girardin
21st July 2005, 16:20
So, wolf, you'd be happy to buy a personal breath tester to check yourself after a big night so that you don't blow 1 or 2 mgm's. It might take 12 or even 24 hours to get that last trace of alcohol out of your system.
Some people might still show a reading 2 or 3 days later.
And, of course, unemployment would rise as the hospitality industry shrinks and all those actors in waiting (waiters) go on the dole.
Taxes would have to rise to compensate for the loss of revenue from alcohol sales.
Death rates from stress would rise because we can't have a relaxing ale after work.
It sounds all good to me. :devil2:

Wolf
21st July 2005, 16:24
So, wolf, you'd be happy to buy a personal breath tester to check yourself after a big night so that you don't blow 1 or 2 mgm's. It might take 12 or even 24 hours to get that last trace of alcohol out of your system.
Some people might still show a reading 2 or 3 days later.
And, of course, unemployment would rise as the hospitality industry shrinks and all those actors in waiting (waiters) go on the dole.
Taxes would have to rise to compensate for the loss of revenue from alcohol sales.
Death rates from stress would rise because we can't have a relaxing ale after work.
It sounds all good to me. :devil2:
Breath testers cost money - enough for quite a few cab fares home, being both pragmatic and part Scottish, I'd just opt for the cab fare.

Don't worry about the tax losses on on alcohol - the govt is making sure the smokers take up the slack...

ManDownUnder
21st July 2005, 16:49
...also 3 strikes and your out law for drink driver who commit 3 offences in 4 years. on the third offence vehicles will be impounded for 28 days, licence to be suspended for more than a year meaning offenders will need to resit their practical driving test at the end of disqualifcation period.

Got to admit - I have no problems at all with this bit - in fact I'd take it a step further... loss of licence for life after 3 DIC offences.

"You no learn - you no drive!"

I have this thing about other people deciding to put my life at risk...

ManDownUnder
21st July 2005, 16:51
So, with zero tolerance in place, you're nervously waiting for the evidential test. Have another quick suck on the inhaler 'cause you're a bit wheezy, and bingo! you blow 2 mgm's, guilty, executed on the spot. Thank you and goodbye.

Shame on you Lou -

you forgot to say *DING* - "NEXT!"

Ixion
21st July 2005, 16:56

Well, true, but that is because the present level is not zero. The inhalers show an incorrect "over present limit" level. The other thingy shows a correct "below present level" reading. Since it's below the current level, "Thank you, Sir, just a false positive on the sniffer, have a good night".

But the "below present level" would still be over a zero limit. So, with a ZERO limit it would be "OK Sir that a 2 whassy per doohickey reading. That's not zero. So you're under arrest"

Actually there are sufficent alcohol type molecules in exhaust emissions that you could probably record a non zero level (very low, but non zero) just from breathing in the traffic fumes waiting in line to be tested. Then there is the question of the accuracy of the gadget. Certainly fine for present limits (so what if it's 0.1 out - the difference between 799.9 and 800 is meaningless).But what if the reading is 0.1. That's not zero.

There is no evidence at all that such very low levels (1 or 2 thingwhatsits per wossiname) have any effect whatsoever on driving (or any other) ability.

XP@
21st July 2005, 17:15
Got to admit - I have no problems at all with this bit - in fact I'd take it a step further... loss of licence for life after 3 DIC offences.

"You no learn - you no drive!"

I have this thing about other people deciding to put my life at risk...

If there is going to be a tolerance level then the penalties should be tough.
Minimum disqualification set at 12 months + big fine + re-test.
second offence 24 months + big fine + re-test.
third offence: the slammer.

Failing that you could treat the crime as attempted murder, unless they do manage to kill someone then they should be treated as murderers.

There again... should plain dangerous driving be treated in the same way...
If so then would excessive speeding have to be put in the same basket?

Where do you draw the line...

SPman
21st July 2005, 19:13
If you are a government beaureaucrat, you dont draw a line - you just have ever shrinking boundaries - a bit like a purse seine fishing net!
Useless, cocksucking pricks that they are!
Common sense hasnt had a look in for years and those in the front line that practice it, often have to risk getting their arses kicked big time by their grovelling, lickspittle senior idealogues!
chorus. (see above)

Stevo
22nd July 2005, 00:05
Poor kiddies. Aunty Helen is doing the right thing if you read how many here tend to fall of the road. It's for your own good :motu: I'm with JackRat on this one. A point most seem to miss is it's for ALL road users not just motocycle riders. I've been passed by cage drivers on roadworks who should have known better, stones flying all over the place-take im away officer. :nono: Personnally it doesn't bother me at all. Maybe more race venues will spring up because of it. Helen has more balls than any other "leader" in Govt at the mo. :love: No, really it's a consperacy by Harley Davidson-Pssss but don't tell anyone I mentioned that :moon:

Maybe more race venues will spring up because of it.????????? Huh? Are you serious? What freakin fantasy land do you live in?

mstriumph
22nd July 2005, 01:31
:no: IMHO this is a power thingy rather than just a NZ thingy.
From observation, whenever any authority ANYWHERE gets more power it will exercise it and some of its members will, sooner or later, abuse it.
No way out, friends - it's all downhill from here ....

Lou Girardin
22nd July 2005, 10:08
Well, true, but that is because the present level is not zero. The inhalers show an incorrect "over present limit" level. The other thingy shows a correct "below present level" reading. Since it's below the current level, "Thank you, Sir, just a false positive on the sniffer, have a good night".

But the "below present level" would still be over a zero limit. So, with a ZERO limit it would be "OK Sir that a 2 whassy per doohickey reading. That's not zero. So you're under arrest"

Actually there are sufficent alcohol type molecules in exhaust emissions that you could probably record a non zero level (very low, but non zero) just from breathing in the traffic fumes waiting in line to be tested. Then there is the question of the accuracy of the gadget. Certainly fine for present limits (so what if it's 0.1 out - the difference between 799.9 and 800 is meaningless).But what if the reading is 0.1. That's not zero.

There is no evidence at all that such very low levels (1 or 2 thingwhatsits per wossiname) have any effect whatsoever on driving (or any other) ability.

All quite true, but far too logical for the "one size fits all, don't make the sound bite too long or I can't follow it' generation.

scumdog
24th July 2005, 15:31

Hey! I've a novel idea: if you think the breath test is not right then go for a blood test!!

What? Oh damn, they already have that idea. :whistle:

Next. :wait:

And BTW the present breath test devices 'round down' the figures, i.e. if you blow 415 (in theory at that level you're 'over') it automatically (sp) rounds that figure to 400, ergo you are not 'over' as you haven't blown OVER 400, it would be no problem to do a similar thing with a 'zero' level.

And you knew this Lou, you shameless troller you!! :nono:

Lou Girardin
25th July 2005, 09:19
Hey! I've a novel idea: if you think the breath test is not right then go for a blood test!!

What? Oh damn, they already have that idea. :whistle:

Next. :wait:

And BTW the present breath test devices 'round down' the figures, i.e. if you blow 415 (in theory at that level you're 'over') it automatically (sp) rounds that figure to 400, ergo you are not 'over' as you haven't blown OVER 400, it would be no problem to do a similar thing with a 'zero' level.

And you knew this Lou, you shameless troller you!! :nono:

This assumes that all you say remains true if the Safety Nazis brought in a zero level. Remember that they removed the right to request a blood test over a certain breath/alcohol level. Who's to say this won't be applied in future "because blood tests are so inconvienient".

spudchucka
25th July 2005, 14:21
This assumes that all you say remains true if the Safety Nazis brought in a zero level. Remember that they removed the right to request a blood test over a certain breath/alcohol level. Who's to say this won't be applied in future "because blood tests are so inconvienient".
An evidential test above 600 was considered conclusive, however this has changed and any drunk can request a blood test now regardless of how pissed they are. All this has changed is to waste police time through spectacularly pissed drivers insisting on blood tests in the alcohol induced hope that a blood test might save their worthless arses. In reality the blood test almost always yeilds a higher reading but we aren't allowed to tell a drunk that because that would constitute us giving a defendant legal advice, which is naughty apparently.

Blood test aren't really inconvienient, other than the fact that it means you have to spend more time with a stupid, slobering, smelly drunk, at worst it only adds about 20 - 40 minutes to the process depending on the availability of the quack. And on a positive note you get a nice letter a week or two later from ESR saying how pissed the idiot was, then you get to go see the idiot again with a summons and have the enjoyment factor of seeing their face once they realise how screwed they are.

crshbndct
11th September 2005, 20:17
bloody good job! theres no excuse for speeding through roadworks.
we dont put up those signs just for the hell of it, its for everyones safety.

on the highways the speeds are set by the safe lane width, eg:
30k, 2.75m lane width
50k, 3.00m lane width
70 & 80k, 3,25 lane width
100k, 3.50m lane width

/me measures a piece of tar between my house and dargaville which i believe is less than 3.00 m wide, which is 100 zone

Da Bird
11th September 2005, 23:09
Blood test aren't really inconvienient, other than the fact that it means you have to spend more time with a stupid, slobering, smelly drunk, at worst it only adds about 20 - 40 minutes to the process depending on the availability of the quack. And on a positive note you get a nice letter a week or two later from ESR saying how pissed the idiot was, then you get to go see the idiot again with a summons and have the enjoyment factor of seeing their face once they realise how screwed they are.

... and also the knowledge that they just cost themselves another $80 - $90 in doctor's /nurse's fees and $93.00 in ESR analysts fees.
:rofl:

scumdog
12th September 2005, 01:42
... and also the knowledge that they just cost themselves another $80 - $90 in doctor's /nurse's fees and $93.00 in ESR analysts fees.
:rofl:

....and also the knowledge that had they stuck with the breath-test reading it would have been lower in comparison to the blood reading :doh:

Timetogo
12th September 2005, 09:59
The zero tolerance thing is a load if shite as was said earlier there is no evidence that having low levels inhibits drivers responses etc in any way. If you look in the literature there is good evidence that a lack of sleep will make you more of a risk than the current legel limit. Another example of politicians keen to be seen to be doing the right thing with NO evidence that it makes sod all differrnce. Political grandstanding.

Pixie
12th September 2005, 11:53
The zero tolerance thing is a load if shite as was said earlier there is no evidence that having low levels inhibits drivers responses etc in any way. If you look in the literature there is good evidence that a lack of sleep will make you more of a risk than the current legel limit. Another example of politicians keen to be seen to be doing the right thing with NO evidence that it makes sod all differrnce. Political grandstanding.
It's a tired old tactic,first indoctrinate the plebs that something is evil,then be seen to act against said evil.And if you're lucky you can suck revenue from the enforcement too

Biff
12th September 2005, 12:32

Good - Shame pissed drivers/riders don't get an immediate ban for 12 months get hit with a huge fine & have their mode of transport impounded/confiscated IMO.

Selfish bastards those that drink & drive/ride.

bumsex
12th September 2005, 15:32

yeah...its not that hard to do.
I am not proud of this but I have done a couple of runners.
Both in ideal circumstances (came upon cop car suddenly and we were going opposite ways), opened her up for a few Km and shot up a side road. After a good wait I gingerly headed back out into the traffic.
I only took this course of action because I had subsequently been booked twice in close succession for speeds such as 112 and 113 km/h (in a 100km/h zone (nice sunny days/good conditions).

All I am trying to say here is that in future, faced with similar or favorable circumstances I will run from the cops. Especially on roads that I know well.

Wolf
12th September 2005, 15:42
I had subsequently been booked twice in close succession for speeds such as 112 and 113 km/h (in a 100km/h zone (nice sunny days/good conditions).
you, you, murderer, you! :rofl:

bumsex
12th September 2005, 15:46
you, you, murderer, you! :rofl:

I know. I know.

froggyfrenchman
12th September 2005, 15:51
oh man, all this running and hiding. Give me a break uncle helen... i use more expencive gas outrunning the constabulary

Wolf
12th September 2005, 15:55
oh man, all this running and hiding. Give me a break uncle helen... i use more expencive gas outrunning the constabulary
Not surprised, on a Thunderbird. Ya need a modern japper - faster and better fuel economy. :devil2:

/me Dons asbestos suit and waits...

madboy
12th September 2005, 16:08
All I am trying to say here is that in future, faced with similar or favorable circumstances I will run from the cops. Especially on roads that I know well.Hellelujah(sp)... Personally my motivation is financial. Demerits and disq mean nothing to me, but fines, legal fees and insurance costs do. I see a cop, I hit the brakes. While I'm braking I'm considering the options in my head... if the options incl evasive measures then the moment he/she/it takes any action that looks to me like they're going to stop me...

These days from my experience and those I know, it's very very seldom you'll get pulled over and given a warning. If they wave as you go by, you're a lucky rider. If they stop you, break open the bank vault.

But Froggy's got a point, pretty soon the cost of the extra petrol will make it uneconomical to wind the bike up for the few minutes it takes to clear out.

N4CR
12th September 2005, 16:26
How the hell does a bike fit $120+ of fuel in.... can someone please explain when bikes suddenly got hummer sized fuel tanks?

madboy
12th September 2005, 16:32
When I came back from overseas 5 years ago I couldn't believe 96 was above $1.00/litre... inflation and a bunch of fat middle easterners (with a few European/US executives) will take care of the rest.

Ixion
12th September 2005, 16:35
How the hell does a bike fit $120+ of fuel in.... can someone please explain when bikes suddenly got hummer sized fuel tanks?
Ahh. You haven't seen today's petrol price increases then .

WRT
12th September 2005, 16:42
Xtramsn are reporting that young Mr Brash is offering to cut the govt tax on petrol to the tune of $100 million dollars up until the time his tax cuts kick in - anyone heard anything else about this? Seems Mr Anderton is anti (jealous he didnt think of it first probably), but Brash says that with the additional money the govt gets from the GST they can afford to do it without affecting spending in other areas.

N4CR
12th September 2005, 23:51
Ahh. You haven't seen today's petrol price increases then .

Ahh I hope to dear god you are piss taking me (looks guiltily at quite empty tank).

Apart from possibly a goldwang with a 80L tank pannier system? :rofl: :rofl:

scumdog
13th September 2005, 00:02
All I am trying to say here is that in future, faced with similar or favorable circumstances I will run from the cops. Especially on roads that I know well.

The one I had to deal with on Saturday is now facing: Exceeding 50kph in 50kph area, Dangerous driving, Failing to stop, Driving with excess breath alcohol - well worth the runner eh?
If he had been doing 50kph or so he would (maybe) have got home safe'n'sound.
Probably works out about $150 a kilometre!! - and he 'knew' the road (not as well as I though, being old has SOME advantages!!)

BTW He was doing about 78kph when first spotted, not a namby-pamby 112 or the like..

bumsex
13th September 2005, 06:31
The one I had to deal with on Saturday is now facing: Exceeding 50kph in 50kph area, Dangerous driving, Failing to stop, Driving with excess breath alcohol - well worth the runner eh?
Probably works out about $150 a kilometre!! - and he 'knew' the road (not as well as I though, being old has SOME advantages!!)

BTW He was doing about 78kph when first spotted, not a namby-pamby 112 or the like..

mmm. we are all faced with dilemas.
yeah...I'm a real speedster aye! ha ha ha!
The thing is that I was being stopped and fined for those types of speeds and by the time I did those runners, had accrued quite a few demerit points.

Stevo
13th September 2005, 07:57

Yes but from my experience reading your posts you still seem to use a little discretion. Probably one of the few coppers left who flash the headlights and the motorist in question says "Feck that was close!", and slows down. Therefore having the same net result as $80 nuisance ticket for a 112 or 113. Bet you don't get as much attitude comin your way as other cops. lol

Speedracer
11th October 2005, 12:49
These days from my experience and those I know, it's very very seldom you'll get pulled over and given a warning. If they wave as you go by, you're a lucky rider. If they stop you, break open the bank vault.

I must be the luckiest guy on earth. Got pulled over 3 times in the last year and only got warnings. (Well actually the only times I've ever been pulled over)

It's all good cos one fine would pretty much bankrupt me at the moment.

SPman
11th October 2005, 15:39
he let me past then pulled me over for 'hooning'
Ive had that happen - cruising home on the northern motorway at 9pm, tired as, sitting on 95-100. See cop on side of road and think - oh yeah.....half a mile later he's behind me, lights on etc..... Pull over, take off helmet, revealing an old bugger on a bike, ask him whats up and he replies, "Sorry, I thought you were hooning!" WTF!!! Nothing else! just that.FFS, just because the other 3 cars on that stretch of MW were doing 80, I amble past them - and he pulls me for suspected "hooning"!
I think he thought I was some young jock he could hassle, he got a bit of a shock when I turned out to be an old, responsible looking prick! Just checked me license and WOF and left........:drinkup:

ghost
11th October 2005, 16:02
Speeding aside, you have to be DIC three times in four years before they suspend your licence for a year? what the fucks up with that. DIC three times, ever, you should swing from a rope, simple as that. Can they not bend over backwards enough to help repeat drunk drivers? Three fuckning times, what a complete arse joke. F F F F F F C's

Rant

Rant

Lou Girardin
11th October 2005, 16:23
Speeding aside, you have to be DIC three times in four years before they suspend your licence for a year? what the fucks up with that. DIC three times, ever, you should swing from a rope, simple as that. Can they not bend over backwards enough to help repeat drunk drivers? Three fuckning times, what a complete arse joke. F F F F F F C's

Rant

Rant

You have it slightly arse-about, it's mandatory disqualification for the first offence.
Unless there a special reasons for the court to not pluck your licence.
These special reasons now include being a well known, but lame, comedian and arguing with your wife. Then taking over driving when you're twice the legal limit right into a checkpoint.
There's one law for all in NZ. :yeah:

SPORK
11th October 2005, 18:02

Oh, poor Trotsky, he died so we could live... Wait, no that wasn't him.

I'm with Ixion though. I'll be the youth advice for The Party.

riffer
11th October 2005, 18:25
Oh, poor Trotsky, he died so we could live... Wait, no that wasn't him...

Oh no ... he got an ice pick - that made his ears burn ;)

DevoDave
11th October 2005, 22:05
Moral of the story; be alert, NZ needs more lerts!

Goddess of Goof
11th October 2005, 22:35
" But what we really need is for someone in power to ride bikes - and I don't mean John Banks/Harley type people! I mean someone who seriously understands the problems we face and is willing to do something about it.

The problem is, most of the people in power are academics rather than REAL people so the things they worry about don't concern us and vice versa!

I saw the little bikey, scootery, or moped thingey that Helen used to ride to Uni in her student days - on display at the Vrooom show at the Auckland War Memorial Show..... it was red, and she kept if for many years...

Whether or not she sympathises with the needs of bikers/sportbikes etc, is something else, but I know she did used to ride....and she loved it....

:scooter:

Pixie
12th October 2005, 15:58
Oh, poor Trotsky, he died so we could live... Wait, no that wasn't him.

He did get an ice pick that made his ears burn...according to The Stranglers

Ixion
12th October 2005, 16:04
Moral of the story; be alert, NZ needs more lerts!

Oh shit, I ran over one just the other day. Hope it wasn't the last one. Uh - little hairy, wrinkly thing, about 6 inches long, that's what we're talking about, right

Wolf
12th October 2005, 21:41
Oh shit, I ran over one just the other day. Hope it wasn't the last one. Uh - little hairy, wrinkly thing, about 6 inches long, that's what we're talking about, right
Must've run over it on the l'il rat bike - if he'd run over it on the whale he'd think it was hairy, smooth, flat and about 18 inches in diameter...

VasalineWarrior
19th October 2005, 22:19
40km/hr over and you have to call a taxi to get home is extremely gay. I recomend the Valentine-1 bacon sniffer to reduce the frequency of unpleasant roadside conversations :niceone:

N4CR
19th October 2005, 22:24
I saw the little bikey, scootery, or moped thingey that Helen used to ride to Uni in her student days - on display at the Vrooom show at the Auckland War Memorial Show..... it was red, and she kept if for many years...

Whether or not she sympathises with the needs of bikers/sportbikes etc, is something else, but I know she did used to ride....and she loved it....

:scooter:

Yeah its a Jawa 50cc red and white from memory. Used to work around it at motat when I cleaned the bruce maclarens F1 car in there. Pretty retro scooters they are.

SARGE
19th October 2005, 22:59

Welcome to Helegrad......the burden to think for yourself has been taken away from you.

-Indy

heres one for ya Indy.. George Orwell's 1984... soundtrack by the Eurythmics

mindcrime!!!

mouldy
20th October 2005, 14:01
No point in stopping if your licence is already toast . you're not likely to be much worse off if they catch you and you might get away..... or crash.
If you don,t admit to knowing you were being chased you can,t be convivted to failing to stop for red and blue lights cos you never saw them :devil2:

HenryDorsetCase
20th October 2005, 16:32
Oh no ... he got an ice pick - that made his ears burn ;)

I just got that.... excellent.

Stranglers No More Heroes...

mumble to self "find it and listen again"

Speedracer
15th November 2005, 13:04
... Pull over, take off helmet, revealing an old bugger on a bike, ask him whats up and he replies, "Sorry, I thought you were hooning!"...

I caught up with a cop in a 70 zone once, cop was doing 50. Cop pulls over to let me past and what do you know I got pulled over a few minutes later. "I saw you hooning a bit back there". = WOF and rego check as well :slap:

Speedracer
15th November 2005, 13:30
Some positive quotes from MPs (some are a bit old now)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10342373
"People driving at 111km/h may be no more risky that at 110km/h and we don't think that the quota ticketing - that you must issue a ticket to that person - should carry on," (National MP)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10341882
and don't forget Transport Safety Minister Harry Duynhoven's comments:
"Governor-General Dame Silvia Cartwright's official driver was ticketed on the Kapiti Coast last weekend after he was caught speeding at around 130km/h while overtaking in a passing lane.... Mr Duynhoven said he was not trying to excuse or defend the driver but said: "Let's not be too prissy about this... It is something that happens every day..."

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA0311/S00497.htm
United future MP "Put the speed limit up to 115kmh between 10pm and 6am"
Auckland-based United Future MP Paul Adams lashed out at the emphasis on speed reduction as a major part of trying to reduce the national road toll.

We need more politicians like this in govt. :2thumbsup

tracyprier
15th November 2005, 13:32

-Indy
Ahh yes...Nanny knows best, now put the cork on the fork Rupreckt.

Wolf
15th November 2005, 15:13
Ahh yes...Nanny knows best, now put the cork on the fork Rupreckt.
Ahh, excellent film that one. Bling Awarded

tracyprier
16th November 2005, 10:37
Ahh, excellent film that one. Bling Awarded
thank you my good Wolf