PDA

View Full Version : Mivv

pritch
3rd January 2011, 09:02
I once read a magazine article where the mag had fitted several brands of aftermarket pipes to a number of bikes and then conducted before and after dyno tests. From memory most brands made minimal improvement but those that performed best were the products from the companies that did R&D, the same brands that you see on the screen when watching WSBK or MotoGP on TV: Arrow, Termignoni, Akrapovic, etc. Some of the budget brands actually performed less well on the dyno than the stock cans.

So it recently came to pass that I was shown an MIVV system. My first reaction was WTF? I'd never heard of it. It turns out though that some fairly well known people ride with MIVV: Ianone, Talmacsi, Dovizioso, Pedrosa, and now, Stoner.

The carbon can I was looking at was their "GP" model, a stumpy abbreviated affair attached to the end of an MIVV pipe. The bike had the full system - no expense spared apparently.

Not having a decibel meter my assessment of the sound is entirely subjective but when the bike was fired up that sucker was loud. Louder that the twin Termignonis on my bike and they are not exactly inaudible. The manufacturer's web site states that their road systems comply with Euro requirements. Maybe with the butt plug fitted?

The web site can be a little difficult to understand in places but I think it says that you don't actually have to fit a Power Commander, but to get the best results you should. It also then says you need separate maps for the muffler with the Db killer fitted and without. Or perhaps it's just the Italian English.

The website refers to a selection of maps being available but on checking the relevant model of bike and system , no map was available as yet. A custom map would be necessary to get the best from the system. Be a shame not to.

I got to take the bike for a short ride. Well, an hour or so. While it's fun in small doses I think the noise could be tiring on a trip. Ear plugs would be mandatory.

Would I buy an MIVV system? I don't think so, but if it was already on the bike I wouldn't complain.

http://www.mivv.it/en/

Nutter34
3rd January 2011, 16:19
I ran a set of Mivv cans on a Z1000 a few years back. Awesome sounding cans.

If I recall, I did run them with the dB killers installed but it was still throaty but saved heaps of weight from the standard silencers.

cold comfort
6th January 2011, 22:19
I ran a set of Mivv cans on a Z1000 a few years back. Awesome sounding cans.

If I recall, I did run them with the dB killers installed but it was still throaty but saved heaps of weight from the standard silencers.

"Conner" has them on his Multistrada and i followed suit. Great sound with the DB killers out and bearable for a pillion i am reliably informed (should always ride with earplugs anyway) sold the MS without the mufflers but snapped up by an enthusiast separately. Never has a mapping issue and nil adjustment required changing back to OEM for sale

Sensei
6th January 2011, 22:48
Mivv make all the exhaust systems for HRC Repsol GP bikes as well as most of the OEM systems on most Jap bikes so their Web site says ..... I have a X-cone GP Mivv for my Aprilia due to the fact it is around 120Db with the restrictor in & God knows how loud is is without it doesn't get used to much , but mate that lives close by can hear me start the bike & ride it to his place Very Moto GP sounding he said & LOUD lol

Hitcher
7th January 2011, 07:58
I was once tempted to put a set on my Shiver. However I suspect it's the price rather than the sexually arousing aural pleasure that would have made my nose bleed.

pritch
8th January 2011, 01:37
I was told that the system in question cost some $6,000. That compares favourably with the $7,200 I was quoted for a full Termi system for the S4R.

Next week that MIVV can should be in my shed. Not sure what the neighbours are going to make of this...

Hitcher
8th January 2011, 13:10
The extra cost for the Shiver (with any aftermarket muffler choice) comes in having to manufacture a panel to protect the underseat electronics and electrics from assorted crap and fluids thrown up by the rear wheel. The standard banjo can does this job as well as its muffling duties. Replacing the standard banjo with two separate cans creates a honking great gap.