PDA

View Full Version : Warning oncoming drivers about speed cameras

cheshirecat
7th January 2011, 08:33
There was recently as case inthe UK where a 61 yr old man was fined for warning about a speed cam.

Here is a link on UK Police forum (http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?/topic/44058-driver-64-who-flashed-headlights-to-warn-fellow-motorists-of-speed-trap-hauled-to-court-and-fined/) with some interesting comments

cbfb
7th January 2011, 10:25
There was recently as case inthe UK where a 61 yr old man was fined for warning about a speed cam.

Here is a link on UK Police forum (http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?/topic/44058-driver-64-who-flashed-headlights-to-warn-fellow-motorists-of-speed-trap-hauled-to-court-and-fined/) with some interesting comments

Stuff like that reminds me why I left the UK :facepalm:

Bassmatt
7th January 2011, 10:35
Just saying "gidday" to some friends coming in the opposite direction, officer. I wasnt even aware of the speed trap. Yes i have a lot of friends i am very popular.

scumdog
7th January 2011, 10:46

Pfft.

I drive down the road flashing my cars headlights willy-nilly, 'warning' oncoming motorists of cops in the area.

Even when I know there's none in the area.

I get a lot of grateful waves from the other drivers when they slow down and go by .

Suckers.

cbfb
7th January 2011, 10:53
Pfft.

I drive down the road flashing my cars healights wily-nilly 'warning' oncoming motorists of cops in the area.

I get a lot of grateful waves from the other drivers when they slow down and go by .

Suckers.

LOL especially rent-a-campers 'driven' by bemused foreigners

Owl
7th January 2011, 10:55
Pfft.

I drive down the road flashing my cars healights wily-nilly 'warning' oncoming motorists of cops in the area.

Suckers.

Funniest post I've read this year!

:rofl:

Murray
7th January 2011, 10:55
Pfft.

Anything to get a wave eh!!!

cheshirecat
7th January 2011, 11:30
Pfft.

I drive down the road flashing my cars headlights willy-nilly, 'warning' oncoming motorists of cops in the area.

Suckers.

Just as well it's only your car headlights being flashed willy nilly

Big Dave
7th January 2011, 11:32
Pfft.

Suckers.

He doesn't mention he's in a police car.

Big Dave
7th January 2011, 11:34
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8zKQv2dc-cM?rel=0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Scootbubba
7th January 2011, 12:27
If he was genuinely concerned about the speed trap causing accidents why was this not reported to Police or the road controling authority in the first instance?
There is a correct procedure to have concerns addressed surely, without taking the law into your own hands or back chatting Police who are only following orders?

Genie
7th January 2011, 12:54
Pfft.

Suckers.

:killingme

Yeah right ...you are a helpful fella, letting the cars know you're in the area. gotta slow those speeders down eh???:shutup:

Genie
7th January 2011, 12:55
Funniest post I've read this year!

:rofl:

funniest and looks like the most quoted too.....he's a bit of gem is that Scummy and I've not had the pleasure of meeting him but I'm sure it would be interesting.:yes:

Berries
7th January 2011, 13:01
I think it was on KB I read of the same thing happening. Explanation was that the rider/driver flashed because they thought the other vehicle was going too fast, and the fact that he had just seen a speed camera indicated that it was an area with a high crash rate (Tui), so really he was doing his bit for road safety by warning the other vehicle of being on a 'dangerous' section of road and to watch their speed. Had to laugh, but I don't think you can argue with it.

piston broke
7th January 2011, 15:48
i will flash lights if,

i see someone in there riceburner driving like an idiot,even if there is no cop.

otherwise only bikers,holden or ford drivers,if there is a cop,and they may be just borderline speed.

hypocrite,hell yes.
tuff

cs363
7th January 2011, 16:11
<SNIP>>

What a load of bollox BD, where was the infamous KB wave and the 'do me up the bum, I'm riding a Honda' signals?

Quasievil
7th January 2011, 17:28
three words SAFER COMMUNITIES TOGETHER as I recall this is the latest advertising campaign from the police, encouraging us all to enhance the safety of our communities, ALL TOGETHER, for that reason I will flash my lights to warn motorists that there speed may be dangerous and there actions may be unlawful, so check your speed and be safe.
one more time, SAFER COMMUNITIES TOGETHER

cbfb
7th January 2011, 17:39
three words SAFER COMMUNITIES TOGETHER as I recall this is the latest advertising campaign from the police, encouraging us all to enhance the safety of our communities, ALL TOGETHER, for that reason I will flash my lights to warn motorists that there speed may be dangerous and there actions may be unlawful, so check your speed and be safe.

Let's face it, if you're gonna do speed you shouldn't be driving anyway. Stick to softer stuff like Red Bull maybe.

steve_t
7th January 2011, 17:42
I remember flashing my lights at an oncoming car to warn of a speed camera. The oncoming car happened to be an unmarked cop car and I got the finger waggle to tell me off :nono:
A mate in Auckland flashed his lights at a car to warn of a speed camera and got pulled over. The cop said you're not allowed to do that. My mate said he didn't even know there was a speed camera nearby but was just flashing to tell another motorist to slow down cos they looked like they were going to fast :innocent: He was then advised about the law change in 2004 that says "Drivers must not use their vehicle lights in a way that dazzles, confuses, distracts or in any way endangers other road users." but ended up only getting a warning :woohoo:

Coldrider
7th January 2011, 17:47
I remember flashing my lights at an oncoming car to warn of a speed camera. The oncoming car happened to be an unmarked cop car and I got the finger waggle to tell me off :nono:
A mate in Auckland flashed his lights at a car to warn of a speed camera and got pulled over. The cop said you're not allowed to do that. My mate said he didn't even know there was a speed camera nearby but was just flashing to tell another motorist to slow down cos they looked like they were going to fast :innocent: He was then advised about the law change in 2004 that says "Drivers must not use their vehicle lights in a way that dazzles, confuses, distracts or in any way endangers other road users." but ended up only getting a warning :woohoo:but his pulsing headlights don't do that?

2wheeldrifter
7th January 2011, 18:11
Yes i have a lot of friends i am very popular.

Your profile wouldn't back that statement up :innocent:

BMWST?
7th January 2011, 18:14
i dont see what the fuss is about,by flashing your headlights you are having the desired efffect of said speed camera,ie reducing ht e average speed of oncoming cars,and much more effectively than the unknown speed camera

Latte
7th January 2011, 18:19
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8zKQv2dc-cM?rel=0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

"I'm Crashing"

Or for Oarsome

ynot slow
7th January 2011, 18:28
It's my civic duty to warn fellow riders(especially)or drivers that a government invoice issuer is in their vicinity.

I know a lady who flashed a car and a cop 2 cars back saw the flashes,he turned around and pulled her over,threatened to ticket her for perverting the course of justice or similar,as the oncoming cars if speeding were committing a crime,therefore flashing her headlights(not tits)could be construed as preventing a criminal from being apprehended.

Almost as stupid as the add stating "if you drink and drive you're a bloody criminal" forgive me but to be a criminal you have to be caught,and heaps think that won't happen.

Genestho
7th January 2011, 18:56
Pfft.

I drive down the road flashing my willy, 'warning' oncoming motorists..

:sunny: :devil2: Now THAT would work SD....!:innocent:

I think flashing HEADLIGHTS at oncoming drivers/riders is a good thing for obvious reasons already stated - it has the desired affect of slowing people down, also warning of dangerous situations....I was flashed the other day on the Coro loop, and on the next corner it transpired that someone forgot to tie down two empty 44 gallon plastic drums on the back of their ute, they were rolling around on a corner.:facepalm:

Good thinking that man, with all that holiday traffic on a state highway too!
So in turn I flashed my lights in warning, I hope nobody crashed!!!!

steve_t
7th January 2011, 19:10

I just realised nobody has said "Always blow on the pie" :drinkup:

Owl
7th January 2011, 19:23
I just realised nobody has said "Always blow on the pie" :drinkup:

That's cause it's old news now!:rolleyes:

Gremlin
8th January 2011, 02:01
Since its not revenue gathering (coz they told us so) then it is expected that flashing your lights would warn other drivers of danger. This could be debris, vehicles parked on side of road etc. The police aim to slow drivers down, which is what your average civilian is doing. Perhaps we should charge out our assistance to the police? I would wager our attempts to slow traffic are more successful than theirs.

What's their problem?

firefighter
8th January 2011, 07:31
I'm still of the old adage where it's no real hardship for me to warn other drivers they are approaching a speed camera etc. I don't get it back much but I still do it.

I also indicate when exiting round-abouts and indicate early enough so that it actually informs other people of my actions rather than indicating at the point where it does'nt actually help other drivers (In all situations I try to/I hate those fuckers that indicate left after you've stopped to wait for them).

Some of us out there still make a concious effort to show courtesy, I know i'm a long way off perfect but I still make an effort.

PrincessBandit
8th January 2011, 09:19
....I was flashed the other day on the Coro loop,

'Twasn't me! I'm sure all my gear was covering me properly!

Balu and I rode the loop on Thursday. Beaut weather although I was getting chafed knees from my pants in the heat. You mentioned "the other day" - what day did you do it? We'd have been distinctive traveling together on a blue 650 burgman and my bandit.

Back on topic though, I occasionally flash other riders but more often use the left hand whirly bird gesture. Kinda depends on what mood I'm in as to wether or not i do it. If i was ever pulled over for doing that I think I'd try batting my eye lashes and saying "but I was only scratching my head officer" (though a helmet, yeah...)

DEATH_INC.
8th January 2011, 10:25
I warn everyone I can, I believe it's the right thing to do.

Genestho
8th January 2011, 10:27

Balu and I rode the loop on Thursday. Beaut weather although I was getting chafed knees from my pants in the heat. You mentioned "the other day" - what day did you do it? We'd have been distinctive traveling together on a blue 650 burgman and my bandit.

Back on topic though, I occasionally flash other riders but more often use the left hand whirly bird gesture. Kinda depends on what mood I'm in as to wether or not i do it. If i was ever pulled over for doing that I think I'd try batting my eye lashes and saying "but I was only scratching my head officer" (though a helmet, yeah...)

I have the enjoyment of not knowing or needing to know - what day it is in the holidays, so on that premise I shall say tuesday - maybe possibly wednesday, infact, was pleasantly surprised to find yesterday was friday!! :D

I was in the car...small people and too much gear, saw heaaappps of bikes too! (Envy Envy Envy!!) Hope you had a good time!! :)

TimeOut
8th January 2011, 21:19

As far as I am aware there's no law against hand gestures.

onearmedbandit
9th January 2011, 12:05
Years ago, talking late 80's, an old chap up north set up a seat down the road from a speed trap with a sign warning about the 'Hawk' up ahead. The police caught wind of this, and charged him with interfering with police business. The judge in court questioned what the aim of the police trap was, which of course the police said was to reduce speeding in that particular area. The judge commented that then the gentleman in question had only been helping the police, backed up by the decrease in tickets handed out. Case dismissed.

martybabe
9th January 2011, 13:16
I warn everyone I can, I believe it's the right thing to do.

Me too, it slows drivers down, if that is not what the Police want then one can only conclude that the whole purpose of speed traps is to gather funds for politicians expense accounts and I don't want to be party to such corrupt and immoral practices.

The only exception would be if I thought the oncoming Driver was driving recklessly or dangerously and that is my call to make.

Fatt Max
11th January 2011, 18:08
Pfft.

Suckers.

Yes, yes, yes......but they wave, that is so important....apparently....

scumdog
11th January 2011, 18:11
Yes, yes, yes......but they wave, that is so important....apparently....

And some may even ride Harleys....:msn-wink:

Zamiam
11th January 2011, 19:03
Yeah I also flash on coming vehicles when I know a revenue collector or some other harzard is around. Usually for a km or so. Don't warn those that look like the aren't driving to the conditions as they need to contribute to reducing my taxes. If a cop ever pulled me up I'd be saying so your job isn't about road safety but revenue collecting? A significant number of cops I see, and in particular cameras, are in areas I have trouble believing are high accident areas e.g. On straights, in town etc etc

scumdog
11th January 2011, 20:42
If a cop ever pulled me up I'd be saying so your job isn't about road safety but revenue collecting?

WHY?
What does it matter?

SOMEBODY has to contribute to the 'revenue'.