PDA

View Full Version : 2009 - Yamaha FJR1300

NighthawkNZ
10th January 2011, 12:26
Yamaha FJR 1300
Those that know the story of the “wet coat that happened but not on the west coast (http://www.southernrider.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11788)” will know that the Ducati was able to limp back to Palmerston and from there on the trailer, which was a first time it has happened to me and a bike I have owned.

The great guys down at MCR whilst as great as they are, they were unable to have a look at the Ducati and its chain adjustor problem which isn't really isn't a problem as there is no adjustor it had been ripped off. However Rick said he can supply a bike over the new year period. I was expecting a two fiddy or even a Scorpio 225 as one does. Either way whatever I was given I was thankful to have a bike and could go for a ride, as Rick said, guarantee that the weather would be awesome and I would have been with out a bike.

On the way down to pick up my temporary wheels, we were joking that maybe that it will be a nifty 50. Even if it was then I would still do bit of a write up on it, and I know I would have had a blast. Dressed in full leathers and all...

I fill in the standard insurance form, still not really even knowing what bike I have for the next week or so till the Duck is back on the road. The keys get handed over and I hear “There yah go here are the keys for the FJR1300 out the front”

“Cool” was my first thought, “awesome” was my second and “wow” was my third. I have always wanted to give one of these a go, I have seen them on the interweb and read a few reviews and the reviews I have read speak for them self.

The model I was given to replace the Ducati was a 2009 Yamaha FJR1300, it only had 7000 odd km's on the clock, whilst run in for its first full service, but a bike of this caliber 7000 km in year means that this bike hasn't really been ridden at all, it only just starting to loosen up.

The FJR is a sports tourer, but there are sports tourers and then there are Sports Tourers. I have owned a few sports tourers over the years and the Ducatis ST4s is classed as a sports tourer in itself, but most tend to be more sports than tourer. Well the FJR on the other hand is more a tourer than sports, you can feel that it is designed for comfort and doing the long haul and longer hours in the saddle.

The luggage system is simple and spacious whilst the model I am using doesn't have a top box the venturer pack rack made it easy enough to simply carry more luggage. I do like the idea of the retractable cord that holds the lid inside, it stops it from tangling and jamming in when you are trying to close and lock the side saddle. The locking system onto the bike is very simple and effective. Over all it is very useable and good.

Over the last 5 years I have been riding V-Twin's. Honda VTR1000 Firestorm and then the Ducati ST4s 996 and its been a while since that I have actually ridden or owned an inline 4. Now it is funny how one gets use to how your bike runs, being the V-Twin it can feel a bit lumpy compared to inline 4. The FJR, a 1300 cc inline 4 was simply smooth through out its entire power range. The gear box was smooth and not clunky. The power is good and usable through out the range. However I was continuously looking for another or sixth gear. If it was a chain final drive system I would say change the front sprocket, but being a shaft drive I can't really say that. However this makes the bike very easy to ride around town and even easier on the open road.

Also being a shaft drive the power was not as instant as a final drive chain, but it is so minute any difference the average rider is not going to complain about it, or for that matter even notice it. But this is just one of the characteristics of a shaft drive. But for a bike that is designed to huge KM's it means one less maintenance cost you have to worry about as it is very rare for a shaft to break but when and if the do they are not cheap. But to maintain simply just check the diff oil every so often.

The sitting position is in the more upright riding position which gives the more tourer than sport feel, it is overall a comfortable bike to ride and I could see it being very easy to clock the km's up, and having the saddle time without feeling of tiredness and aching. The seat is wider that what I am use to but was comfortable. Every one is different on this, what I call comfortable some one else doesn't.

The ride and the suspension whilst tipping the bike into the corners was a bit of work once it was in the corner it was stable and the suspension just did what it was supposed to do. The wheel base is a bit longer than the Ducati which till I got use to (as one should) I took it easy and I did take the odd wrong line and thought best not do that again. Over all once I got use to it did become a non issue. Handling wise the FJR just rode the road and I felt like I could sit up on the back seat put my feet up on the tank and just let the bike do its thing, the problem was I couldn't find the auto pilot switch.

I did feel the front suspension might be a bit soft for my liking but that is a personal taste thing and you can adjust all that anyway to suite your needs and taste.

The FJR comes with adjustable headlights, adjustable screen, heated grips, factory luggage. Which for a tourer is all handy. Now the adjustable screen tends to vibrate which can be little annoying, it needs the brackets to be a bit longer and strengthened little. The other annoying thing about the screen is if you finally set it to where you like and when you turn the bike off it resets to the lowest position so you have to set the screen each time. It would be nice if it either didn't do this or you could set a favourite position. But over all this is a minor issue.

Fuel seems to be a non-issue and it seems economical enough to run the 25lt tank, from Dunedin to Alexandra, Cromwell and into the Kawarau Gorge to the Roaring Meg and back to Cromwell and Alexandra before I thought I best give it some more go go juice. Overall the FJR is a solid bike that is more than capable of being a full tourer whilst I won't comment on the class of bike (Sports Tourer) but I would say the FJR is up there near the top.

The dash is usable and clear to read, with rev counter, speedo, air temp and running, fuel gage, gear indicator, clock, odometer and dual trip metre.

Apparently the pillion seat is comfortable but the foot rest and muffler guard needs to be longer as our pillion found her foot was still touching the muffler...

We managed to give Paulette a taste of this bike as a pillion. Paulette has travelled many thousands of km as a pillion on a number of bikes, but mainly the VStrom, GS1200SS or RE5, so it was good to be able to get her take on it. She hopped off the VStrom at Ranfurly and rode as pillion as far as Omakau with one short stop at Oterehua.

First impressions were that it was much easier to mount and dismount with the lower seating postion making it much easier to get her leg over. The rear seat was pleasantly comfortable, and she felt that she would be able to handle much longer days than on the VStrom. The only negative comment was that the short heat guard over the exhaust could have been a little bit longer. She found her foot sliding off and making contact with the exhaust. This of course risks leaving nasty burnt rubber marks on the exhaust itself as well as ruining the soles of the boot.

Would Paulette be happy if I owned one of these? Yes she would, but then I'd still need something like a DR650 for when we go over Thompson's Track or the Nevis.

So do I like this bike? Yes. Would I like to own this bike? Yes. Can I afford to own this bike? No. Which is a pity because it means that I can't take this bike off Ricks hands. Sorry Rick. If you are a person that wants a good all rounder sports tourer then definitely take a look at the FJR; you won't be disappointed. So go down and speak to Rick at MCR (http://www.mcr.co.nz/) about this bike... you never know.

I wouldn't say this bike is trying to compete with the Honda Goldwing as others have suggested but more the Honda ST1300 or the Kawasaki GTR1400 as a Sports Tourer.

10 seconds of the FJR Drive by. Middlemarch/Outram Road.
ltq-T3MUVUk

Specs (US model)
Engine
Type 1298cc liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder; DOHC, 16 valves
Bore x Stroke 79 x 66.2mm
Compression Ratio 10.8:1
Carburetion Fuel Injection
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission 5-speed; multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive Shaft

Chassis
Suspension/Front 48mm fork; fully adjustable, 5.4-in travel
Suspension/Rear Single shock; adjustable preload and rebound damping, 4.8-in travel
Brakes/Front Dual 320mm disc, UBS ABS
Brakes/Rear 282mm disc, UBS ABS
Tires/Front 120/70-ZR17 radial
Tires/Rear 180/55-ZR17 radial

Dimensions
Length 88.2 in
Width 29.3 in
Height 52.4 in
Seat Height 31.69 or 32.48 in
Wheelbase 60.8 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 26°
Trail 4.3 in