PDA

View Full Version : XJ6N v Suzuki Gladius

Tink
10th January 2011, 15:20
Ok I rode the Gladius and loved it, power, feel, cornering, seat height, comfort.

Am hoping to get on the XJ6 in the next week.

What kind of feedback if any do you lot have, about either of these bikes?

:scooter:

Maha
10th January 2011, 15:27
Without hesitation I would go for the Yamaha, no doubt.
The Gladious is a chicks bike...hang on, your'e a chick eh Kim?:facepalm:
Seriously though, decide after you have fallin' in love with the yamaha....:love:

Tink
10th January 2011, 15:32
Without hesitation I would go for the Yamaha, no doubt.
The Gladious is a chicks bike...hang on, your'e a chick eh Kim?:facepalm:
Seriously though, decide after you have fallin' in love with the yamaha....:love:

Thanks Mark, I like the black Yammy for sure, can you change the pipes to yoshi tho... and lowering it too... emailed Full Throttle today, he said he was going to get me in one this week, so fingers crossed. I am ready to move up!!! YESTERDAY.

Maha
10th January 2011, 15:40
Any pipe you like, and ah, dont listen to me, its your choice and your money. Whatever bike totally suits your current needs is the one you should get.:yes:

Edbear
10th January 2011, 16:29
Not having ridden either of them I have no idea which is better for you, I just wanted to post in your thread... :innocent:

EJK
10th January 2011, 16:32
XJ6. Hands down.

http://jaguarxj6.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/jaguar-xj6.jpg

BuzzardNZ
10th January 2011, 17:20
if you liked the gladius, why not try an SV-650? Same power but not as ugly as the gladius.

Tink
10th January 2011, 17:34
if you liked the gladius, why not try an SV-650? Same power but not as ugly as the gladius.

Well the gladius I don't think is that bad, not a fan of some parts, but the seat height is suitable, the seat on the SV is not that hot for me. Partners bike is a SV1000 and I couldn't get on it.

slofox
10th January 2011, 17:38
Well the gladius I don't think is that bad, not a fan of some parts, but the seat height is suitable, the seat on the SV is not that hot for me. Partners bike is a SV1000 and I couldn't get on it.

The SV seats are made of rough-sawn ironwood...damhik

Tink
10th January 2011, 17:42
The SV seats are made of rough-sawn ironwood...damhik

That I can agree with! lol

BuzzardNZ
10th January 2011, 17:46
regarding the SV seat, I agree, it's rock fucking hard. Most uncomfortable bike seat I've ever sat on :violin:

slofox
10th January 2011, 17:50
regarding the SV seat, I agree, it's rock fucking hard. Most uncomfortable bike seat I've ever sat on :violin:

Yep. The gixxer seat is way more comfortable.

boman
10th January 2011, 17:53

Yes. 4 hours to Wanganui, and My arse was numb. Rough sawn timber seat..

Edbear
10th January 2011, 17:54
That I can agree with! lol

Quite unlike your seat which is made of a much softer material, of course... :yes:

Tink
10th January 2011, 18:06
Quite unlike your seat which is made of a much softer material, of course... :yes:

I hope your referring to my butt... lol!

Tink
10th January 2011, 18:07
Yes. 4 hours to Wanganui, and My arse was numb. Rough sawn timber seat..

The back seat ain't that shit hot either Mr Boman! :spanking:

Edbear
10th January 2011, 18:11
I hope your referring to my butt... lol!

Butt of course, my dear... :innocent:

boman
10th January 2011, 18:11
The back seat ain't that shit hot either Mr Boman! :spanking:

At least I put a seat back on for you...

:shutup::shutup:

Crazy Steve
10th January 2011, 18:15
Ok I rode the Gladius and loved it, power, feel, cornering, seat height, comfort.

Am hoping to get on the XJ6 in the next week.

What kind of feedback if any do you lot have, about either of these bikes?

:scooter:

I would have to suggest after riding the Gladius and the Xj6..

To buy a 2nd hand ER6N... You could get a blue one or orange.

Its a great bike for low seat hight and for Women.. And there was a man on this site that use to do rides on one and it was the fastest thing on said rides.

Very easy to ride slow...And very easy to ride Very fast..:shutup:

I figure you should be able to buy a Used ER6N for $6k with less than 20kms on it..

And have change for a new hang bag or two....:yes:

Crazy Steve.

Tink
10th January 2011, 18:58
I would have to suggest after riding the Gladius and the Xj6..

To buy a 2nd hand ER6N... You could get a blue one or orange.

Its a great bike for low seat hight and for Women.. And there was a man on this site that use to do rides on one and it was the fastest thing on said rides.

Very easy to ride slow...And very easy to ride Very fast..:shutup:

I figure you should be able to buy a Used ER6N for $6k with less than 20kms on it..

And have change for a new hang bag or two....:yes:

Crazy Steve.

Nah the change would get me a new helmet... stuff handbags!!! lol

Thania has a ER6N, not so sure about them! They look good, but not my cuppa!

mattian
10th January 2011, 19:19
I got myself a Gladius because I was a huge fan of the V-twin power plant. That instantaneous grunt from relatively low revs is something I will never get bored of.

I watched a you-tube clip of MCN's review of the new middle range street bikes and the Gladius won, hands down. Admittedly the Yamaha wasn't in the line up, and, never having ridden one myself, would like to know what you think after having rode the Gladius.

Smifffy
10th January 2011, 19:28
I think that of the two bikes you selected, the Yamaha is more manly, but that might not be an influence for you. Or maybe it is, one way or another.

Seriously I haven't ridden the XJ but I do like the way they look, and have said as much somewhere on here before.

Gibbo89
10th January 2011, 19:36
try the street triple 675! I have no idea what they are like seat-height wise though. good luck

Also, maybe try the FZ6 and gsr600, they are a bit more racey than the gladius and xj6 though.

Tink
10th January 2011, 20:35
I got myself a Gladius because I was a huge fan of the V-twin power plant. That instantaneous grunt from relatively low revs is something I will never get bored of.

I watched a you-tube clip of MCN's review of the new middle range street bikes and the Gladius won, hands down. Admittedly the Yamaha wasn't in the line up, and, never having ridden one myself, would like to know what you think after having rode the Gladius.

Thanks all good there!

I think that of the two bikes you selected, the Yamaha is more manly, but that might not be an influence for you. Or maybe it is, one way or another.

Seriously I haven't ridden the XJ but I do like the way they look, and have said as much somewhere on here before.

More than one person has said that about the Yamaha... but I don't care it is what suits me not my gender... there are other bonuses about the Yamaha, I have a excellent service from the bike shop in the past, but I expect no less from Suzuki.

try the street triple 675! I have no idea what they are like seat-height wise though. good luck

Also, maybe try the FZ6 and gsr600, they are a bit more racey than the gladius and xj6 though.

Ye Street Triple is nice bike, but way to high for me, and I don't need racey bike, just one that gets me up hills and from A to B safely. Mind you there is a FZ6 on trademe going for $8995, and its a nice looking bike 3500km 2008. I am heading down to hamilton to have a look hopefully on the weekend, and then I have a bike to sell.

Thanks guys

Pwalo
11th January 2011, 06:45
Get the Gladius. Not that I'm at all biased, but the SFV (?) has got pretty good reviews in every test that I've read. It's also based on the current SV engine rather than a retuned sports bike engine.

Plus if it really matters to you the 650 can get some pretty impressive mpg.

As for the SV's rather uncomfortable seat, I've found that my OEM lower seat (10mm lower) is actually more supportive of my delicate, aged posterior. Come to think of it, I've probably just lost all feeling there.

Smiff-ta
11th January 2011, 08:14
XJ6 is easy to lower.

Hard part might be an aftermarket pipe as the rear muffler is a big black box located underneath the bike.

You could always get something made from scratch

Little Miss Trouble
11th January 2011, 08:40
The Triple can be lowered quite easily. I test rode one Holeshot had a few years back that had been lowered enough that I had both feet completely flat - very confidence inspiring and the engine was a barrel of laughs (and gave me a bigger grin than the SV ever did!)

NZsarge
11th January 2011, 08:59
There have been some good suggestions but here's another one which admittedly might fall into "the seat is too high" pile but i'm sure if there's a will there's a way to sort it out. Have a look see at the Yamaha FZ8 while you're looking...

Smiff-ta
11th January 2011, 10:24
Have a look see at the Yamaha FZ8 while you're looking...

Might as well.

If you considering a 675 or a 650, you might as well buy a 750, 800 or so.

Now that a 601cc bike or bigger is more to register.

blackdog
11th January 2011, 10:33
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Tourers/auction-345289538.htm

Tink
11th January 2011, 19:05
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Tourers/auction-345289538.htm

Thanks for the input everyone, .... now I love this bike... crap its in Wanganui I don't have time to get there. Nice paint job!

Smifffy
11th January 2011, 19:15
Thanks for the input everyone, .... now I love this bike... crap its in Wanganui I don't have time to get there. Nice paint job!

I kinda like that 1 too.

Tink
12th January 2011, 14:16
I kinda like that 1 too.

Ok ordered my bike, and I am going to customize it too suit me... all go in black n hot pink I hope. :banana::banana::banana::banana::calm::D

Gibbo89
12th January 2011, 15:33
Ok ordered my bike, and I am going to customize it too suit me... all go in black n hot pink I hope. :banana::banana::banana::banana::calm::D

Congrats on choosing the bike, when do you get it?

Tink
12th January 2011, 15:52
Congrats on choosing the bike, when do you get it?

Aiming for tuesday / Weds next week, but it needs to be lowered first!

Maha
12th January 2011, 15:53

At least its black and not that soft pastal colours...:msn-wink:

Gibbo89
12th January 2011, 15:54
Are you getting that Bandit Kim?

Her bike status thing already says it :msn-wink:

Maha
12th January 2011, 15:57

So it does, funny way to spell Yamaha....:eek:

Tink
12th January 2011, 15:59
Are you getting that Bandit Kim?

So it does, funny way to spell Yamaha....:eek:

LOL Yup and I added a photo, imagine yoshi pipes and a screen, with some pink bling!

Pussy
12th January 2011, 20:28
I reckon you made a good choice, Kim! Nice bike!!

boman
12th January 2011, 20:39
Should be nice Tink...Suzuki V Twin. What a great choice.

BuzzardNZ
13th January 2011, 07:57
If you are going to get it lowered, it might also pay to get the people doing it to set-up the suspension correctly to match your weight ( while they are doing the lowering ). The SV's and gladius' are notorious for budget ( read crap ) suspenders.

Tink
14th January 2011, 20:35
If you are going to get it lowered, it might also pay to get the people doing it to set-up the suspension correctly to match your weight ( while they are doing the lowering ). The SV's and gladius' are notorious for budget ( read crap ) suspenders.

Mr Motorcycles are dealing with it, and I will follow up on that! Thanks.

Hawk
16th January 2011, 20:04
I have a black 2011 model.
A few things you may want to consider
Radiator protector I made one up, front fender extender
but otherwise those twisty roads suddenly become straight (No chicken strips)
and one last thing I ve noticed down here in nor west country it the best bike I ever come across in 20 + years of riding in the wind it just sits there and does not move off line
I put 5000 k on mine in two months coming up for 2nd service

Tink
16th January 2011, 20:32
I have one the black model 2011 model.
A few things you may want to consider
Radiator protector I made one up, front fender extender
but otherwise those twisty roads suddenly become straight (No chicken strips)
and one last thing I ve noticed down here in nor west country it the best bike I ever come across in 20 + years of riding in the wind it just sits there and does move off line
I put 5000 k on mine in two months coming up for 2nd service

Awesome thanks for that, mine is the same 2011 Black ... will def look at the radiator protector!

Gibbo89
17th January 2011, 12:40
How many bikes did you try, and what ones?

Hawk
19th January 2011, 18:38
here is the black 2011 model

Tink
19th January 2011, 19:02
How many bikes did you try, and what ones?

ONE... I have always loved suzuki, and I have always been a fan of ducati's ... could not afford a ducati, so went for the suzuki, too much good to be said about the bike.

And I don't fuss over shopping online or off...

Dschubba
28th January 2011, 09:16

+1

We lowered my wifes one a bit with a kit from the US
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/133410-Lowering-a-Triumph-Street-Triple-R?p=1129959166#post1129959166

..oops see you already brought a bike
enjoy!