PDA

View Full Version : American mate looking for a job

aff-man
17th June 2005, 18:08
Well one of me mates (nzder) after a couple of years of the long distance thing has managed to get her man to agree to come over here for a bit. And he will be needing a job visa. Unfortunatley he needs a job first. I think he'll be coming about the beginning of october (pretty flexable)

He is 20 and here are his quals:
NREMT (Nationally Registered Emergency Medical Technician. More info about that at http://www.nremt.org/about/nremt_news.asp)
Currently works night shift at Robin Hill Farm (http://www.robinhillfarm.com/)
Currently volunteers on the Deering Fire Department (http://www.deering.nh.us/Public_Documents/DeeringNH_Fire/index)

If you know anything please PM me cheers

Waylander
17th June 2005, 18:12
Good luck to him.

aff-man
17th June 2005, 18:13
P.s. in auckland would be ideal :niceone:

Gremlin
17th June 2005, 18:15
that job visa is the biggest catch 22.

To work you need a visa, but to get a visa you need a job offer... :oi-grr:

DingDong
17th June 2005, 18:16
he needs a job first. I think he'll be coming about the beginning of october (pretty flexable)

A lot of bikers need jobs... but with his qualifications he could be a "Man Whore" he'll know all the ins and outs :yes:

gav
17th June 2005, 21:39
McDonalds?

johnny
17th June 2005, 22:59
that job visa is the biggest catch 22.

To work you need a visa, but to get a visa you need a job offer... :oi-grr:

yeah the immigration law sucks!!! :whistle:

Ixion
17th June 2005, 23:03

Absurdly, I find I know more about the immigration rules of other countries than my own (well, I never thought about immigrating to NZ). Do we have an equivalent of the "student working holiday" type visas that the UK and other countries have?

Waylander
17th June 2005, 23:07

Heh you aint kiddin. Imigration office isn't very effecient either. They have lost bits of my file several times. They lost my medical records once and my fingerprints twice. Was suposed to be approved for residency this month but not gonna happen cause they can't keep track of stuff.

What part of the states is he from anyway?

aff-man
18th June 2005, 00:35
Well seeing as he volunteer in deering.....

Biff
18th June 2005, 00:39
He may fall into one of the special skills categories, so may be able to come here without having secured a job first.

The list changes almost daily. Check out the immigration website. :niceone:

Gremlin
18th June 2005, 00:41
Is the special skills different to the high demand one??

Coz apparently that one is updated six monthly.

Waylander
18th June 2005, 00:56
Well seeing as he volunteer in deering.....

Well seeing as how there are several different Deerings around the country...

I see what you mean though. New Hampshire. He's a damned yankee. :motu: lol JK

Biff
18th June 2005, 01:10
Is the special skills different to the high demand one??

Coz apparently that one is updated six monthly.

I think so. Last time I looked it had medics, accountants, Biffs and such like on it. But that was last year.

Drunken Monkey
18th June 2005, 10:33
Absurdly, I find I know more about the immigration rules of other countries than my own (well, I never thought about immigrating to NZ). Do we have an equivalent of the "student working holiday" type visas that the UK and other countries have?

Yes, people from the UK and Ireland can work here for 1 year on a working holiday visa. Not sure about other countries.

His easiest bet is to marry her, then come over as her spouse.

Ixion
18th June 2005, 10:48
Yes, people from the UK and Ireland can work here for 1 year on a working holiday visa. Not sure about other countries.

His easiest bet is to marry her, then come over as her spouse.

Hm, interesting question that raises. Would a civil union count for that purpose ?

Jackrat
18th June 2005, 11:48

Yes we do and they've just been extended from three months too six.
Much to the disgust of Australia :yes:

fredie
29th December 2007, 22:20
hey .everybody tell me .an aussie . do i need a visa too come and work :eek5:

timpel_800
1st January 2008, 06:48
Hi, i'm from holland and on a working holiday for a year. You can apply for a working holiday visa without a problem, aslong as you're under 30 years old.

Check http://www.immigration.govt.nz/

or: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/workingholiday/unitedstatesofamericaworkingholidayscheme.htm

Good luck, for me it was not a problem at all, and you're probably better of not telling them you already have a job.

When i came in to the country, the guy from customs asked me, what are you planning on doing. "i'm a baker, so tryin to find a job at a bakery" .

You got a place to stay? (my boss is a from holland aswell, and i arranged the job before i came here) "yeah, got some friends in blenheim!"

good on you, good luck. And that was it.

toebug
1st January 2008, 07:35
hey .everybody tell me .an aussie . do i need a visa too come and work :eek5:

No as far as I am aware you can pretty much show up, get a tax number and off you go.

huck farley
1st January 2008, 09:59
I wish your mate all the best in finding a job offer. A point worth noting is that before he can take up employment, the Employer needs to satisfy Immigration NZ that he was unable to recruit a NZ resident to fill his vacancy.
The employer also has to prove to NZI that he has advertised the job he has offering your friend. It is a dauntless process I can tell you. I have been through it as an employer a few years ago. My job offer failed. As I was told I didn't advertise the job long enough to satisfy NZI. Who in my opinion are likened to the IRD, WINZ, and many, many, more of our government departments nowadays that have cults within.. But hey I wish your friend all the very best we need guys with his qualifications and life experiences.