PDA

View Full Version : 1998 RG150E What to do first?

jimdaworm
17th June 2005, 18:59
Hi everyone, I have just bought a 1998 RG150E, what are things I should keep an eye out for and do straight away to it (To make it last longer go better)

I had it checked at a shop and they said the compression is good and they power valve is fine. The chain an sprockets could do with changing.

So on my to do list so far is change chain and sprockets.

Any top tips?

Ixion
17th June 2005, 19:01
Not something to do to it, but do when riding it

COVER THE CLUTCH COVER THE CLUTCH COVER THE CLUTCH

jimdaworm
17th June 2005, 19:05
Thanks for getting back to me so quick.

Whys that? Does it get hot?

Gremlin
17th June 2005, 19:08
2 strokes are known for seizing... clutch will obviously help in preventing yourself from autographing the road.

jimdaworm
17th June 2005, 19:11
Hi, thanks for replying :)

I must have missed somthing :weird: how will the clutch help prevent me from authorgraphing the road?

Ixion
17th June 2005, 19:12
Eh. No

Sorry. Jargon

"Cover the clutch" is jargon term. To "cover" a lever (clutch, brake etc) means to ride with your fingers (or foot - but please don't use foot for the clutch!) resting on or "covering" the lever all the time

Some riders always cover their front brake. So whenever they are riding they always have two fingers or so resting on the front brake lever. Reason is if something goes wrong you save the fraction of a second needed to get your hand on the lever (There is some dispute about this being a good thing, some people don't agree with it. You need to make your own decision)

But on a two stroke you always want to cover the clutch lever. Reason is that the RG150 (like all two strokes) has a nasty habit of seizing every so often (don't get alarmed , it's quite normal for a two stroke - sort of ). If it seizes it will lock the rear wheel up pretty much instantly , and you need to pull in the clutch REAL REAL FAST , before you maybe lose control

So, safe habit, cover the clutch lever when riding

Don't get carried away with this statement, I'm not saying that your's will seize tomorrow, or maybe ever. But they do seize and it can be jolly alarming , expecially the first time (ask Mr Pyrocam)

Ixion
17th June 2005, 19:14
Oh and VERY IMPORTANT . VERY IMPORTANT INDEED

Keep a VERY close eye on the oil level in the tank. Two strokes (deliberately) burn oil all the time. And on a fast ride that level can go down very fast. When it runs out it will quickly ruin your motor. The first you will know this is happening is when it seizes. So check the oil level every time you get petrol , and keep the tank really full up.

Two Smoker
17th June 2005, 19:14
cover the clutch... pull it in if the rear wheel locks up...

Chain and sprockets, and check the brake pads... how many kays on the clock??? they need rebuilding every 20-30000km's... Oh yeah, sticky tyres (Bridgestone BT39SS or Dunlop TT900)

John
17th June 2005, 19:15
Hi, thanks for replying :)

I must have missed somthing :weird: how will the clutch help prevent me from authorgraphing the road?
When the pistons grind to a sudden stop (seize) the entire transmission sticks (due to the crank shaft locking) so if you 'cover the clutch' when this happens you quickly pull in the clutch and pull over without dramas - if this doesnt work and the rear is still locked up the problem in the transmission...

either way always be ready to pull in the clutch, I always have two fingers on the clutch and brake at all time you should do the same :)

oil always make sure you have oil in the oil tank super important!

edit: Man I dont spam as well as I good got beaten by several people oh well :drinkup:

jimdaworm
17th June 2005, 19:15
I made a mistake :(

Two Smoker
17th June 2005, 19:16
Oh and VERY IMPORTANT . VERY IMPORTANT INDEED

Keep a VERY close eye on the oil level in the tank. Two strokes (deliberately) burn oil all the time. And on a fast ride that level can go down very fast. When it runs out it will quickly ruin your motor. The first you will know this is happening is when it seizes. So check the oil level every time you get petrol , and keep the tank really full up.

RG150 has a oil light, which comes on when the level is low...

ZorsT
17th June 2005, 19:17
Why do you say that?

jimdaworm
17th June 2005, 19:19
Thanks you guys are great! :grouphug: and lightning quick and replying!

I just found this page that has handy info to, just in case anyone else is reading this thread.
http://home.iprimus.com.au/kelvey/p...ical%20info.htm

jimdaworm
17th June 2005, 19:21
Sorry I thought I had posted in another thead by a mistake but I hadnīt!

Does anyone know the best place to buy/get a copy of a manual for this RG150?

Oh yeah and Twosmoker its done 28000k

I am glad I found this forum.

Thanks again, I am sure I will have more questions but I will try searching first.

Ixion
17th June 2005, 19:22

Eh. If you mean you made a mistake getting the RG150 , no, you didn't.

They're a fine bike, quite a few people here have them. You'll have wonderful fun on it.

Probably nothing in biking is quite a much fun as wringing out a two stroke. Ringa ding dinga ding. Nothing better.

Don't be alarmed, just be aware that bikes (well most bikes) aren't quite like cars. You don't just jump on and turn the key and disengage brain. That's what makes motorcycling so much fun. You have to think.

Two strokes seizing isn't a big deal. they do it, always have, it's no big deal. Just be prepared. And plenty of people have gone tens of thousands of km on two strokes with nary a problem.

Ixion
17th June 2005, 19:24
RG150 has a oil light, which comes on when the level is low...

OK, amendment , KEEP AN EYE ON THE OIL LIGHT. And be prepared for it to come on (incidentally, it doesn't mean the same as the oil light in a car. When that comes on it means your motor is probably trashed. Oil light on a two strokes comes on, just means you need to fill the oil tank pretty quickly)

Two Smoker
17th June 2005, 19:24
I love my RG150... and ask the big bikes about what it can do :shifty: :devil2:

Racey Rider
17th June 2005, 20:57
Does anyone know the best place to buy/get a copy of a manual for this RG150?

I had a RG150. Don't worry too much about getting a manual for it, as they were written by some guy in Thiland (where the bikes are made), with very poor english. The manual even contradicts itself in some places!
We can tell you everything you need to know about your bike. :niceone:

Pixie
18th June 2005, 11:02
cover the clutch... pull it in if the rear wheel locks up...

Ignore this two stroke seizing paranoia -Unless your particular model is notorious for it (which would surprise me enormously)
I've had several two strokes and the only bike I ever had seize was a GSX 750, after some dumb "mechanic" blocked an oil gallery buy using RTV silicone to assemble the crankcases.

StoneChucker
18th June 2005, 11:38
Hi, congrats on the new bike :)
Since you're in Welly, keep an eye on the meetings and events page, and come along on the next ride, we like to have new people along :ride:

About keeping an eye on the oil. DO IT :yes: I just bought a two-stroke myself, and was horrified at using 3/4 of a tank of oil on ONE ride. Only just made it back to the servo before the tank was bone dry! :weird:
Someone on here said to me "Think of every petrol stop as a petrol AND oil stop". Check both.

You can cover the clutch, but don't get paranoid or anything. I purposely lock my rear wheel and skid, it's quite fun actually. If you're going straight, and the wheel locks, you should have enough time to grab the clutch, and pull it. If you're in a corner and it happens, well, even if you do "cover the clutch", only the much more experienced riders would exit the corner (talking about a TIGHT corner)

But, you could be hit by a bus tomorrow, so don't worry too much. It's just something to keep in mind.

jimdaworm
18th June 2005, 12:58
I would have replied sooner but I didnīt see that the thread had gone onto the second page :weird:

Your right I found a manual and its crap the general one that came with it anyway.

I have had (Ages ago) an 1988 rg50 and a Yamaha xs250 (In Aus) I donīt have my license here yet (and I only had my learners in Aus)

1. I have to do my handling certificate
2. Sit theory
3. Buy helmet and gloves

Any recommendations for places to do the handeling certificate? Also makes and models and where to buy them for a half decent helmet and gloves?

Not more than about $500 if possible?

Thanks again guys! :ride:

FROSTY
18th June 2005, 14:22
dude first off go see Jimmy (white trash ) at WMCC -buy a decent lid and gloves -a reaso lid will only cost ya from $120-$200
As for the other gear --Just shout out here brother--
Tell ya brothers and sisters on KB what ya need and how big ya are -theres a lot of us with decent gear we aint using.

jimdaworm
18th June 2005, 15:08
Hey frosty whats WMCC? I assume its a shop. Do we have one in Wellington?

SPORK
18th June 2005, 16:24
Hey frosty whats WMCC? I assume its a shop. Do we have one in Wellington?
Wellington Motorcycles, mate! Good luck!

jimdaworm
18th June 2005, 20:24
Thanks for the explaination :yes: I will check them out.

Beemer
19th June 2005, 10:27
Ah, the RG150, I have very fond memories of the first bike I ever owned! Mine did about 23,000kms before the power valve started crapping out, but it was the only problem I ever had with it. Glad I didn't know two strokes had a habit of seizing - mine never did - I would have been scared of riding it!

The manual provides the best laugh you can get - it has gems such as "to change gear - deprese gear shilt etever frocatully" and I love how it tells you to put the bike on the centre stand to change the oil - WHAT centrestand!

I had so much fun on my RG and I still miss it, they are great little bikes. Every time I got home from a ride I would fill the oil tank and I never had any trouble with it. If I were going away for the weekend I would take a bottle of oil with me and top it up before I headed home. And make sure it's good quality oil - synthetic, not something from the Warehouse intended for chainsaws or motormowers - despite the fact the RG sounds like a sewing machine!

I'm so jealous now, I wish I still had my RG!

jimdaworm
19th June 2005, 15:24
You should know what these things are and do then! I have started pulling it appart today, apparently the last owner left it outside all the time the past two years... without a cover :puke:

Anyway its got lots of surface rust all over the place... nothing serious yet I donīt think, I am hoping oiling everything should slow it down. Oh yeah and I wentīt out and got a half decent bike cover!

Back to my story, I discovered the hose that is supposed to be attached to the front of the engine itsnīt, then following the hose up it goes to this plastic thing (There the rubber is shot) and from there it seems to go to the road??

What does this stuff do and how important is it?

Jackrat
19th June 2005, 16:11

Nah mate you didn't make a mistake,you've got a great little bike there.
It's just that you asked so you got the worse case type of thing.
Just be aware that things can happen but they don't do it every day or even very often.
Just be aware,an enjoy your bike.
Cheers.

jimdaworm
19th June 2005, 18:20
Thanks for your reply Jackrat. Do you have any idea what that hose is for on the front of the engine?

pyrocam
19th June 2005, 18:43
how close is RG to RGV?

I have the RGV150 of course.
my maintentance cycle goes:
check chain everytime I remember (at petrol stations, waiting for my go at bronz course etc etc)
oil up everytime I can be bothered (seems to run better with a full tank)
get about 270-300k to the tank (13litres odd)

lube chain about fortnightly

before. when I didnt know In had to do all that. I had a fouled motor from not putting oil in (fixed itself) a chain replaced just before the old on broke, had a new piston in.

as Ixion said. the first seize is scary as CRAP. I was going 110 done the fast lane when the rear wheel fishtailed. COVER THE CLUTCH. and dont ride at 100 for more than abour 3 hours. give it an hour inbetween. mine siezed at about 1.5hours on the mw after 3 pit stops and prior to that a hard ride down from auckland to wellington. the bikes alot of fun, especially if you go to the shore and race off the skylines.

anyway. GLHF

pyrocam
19th June 2005, 18:50
oh if you want to bring your bike around I can show you some stuff. im sure its pretty similar. PM me if keen

umm, whoops sorry. that wont work ...wellytron

jimdaworm
19th June 2005, 19:24
Yeah thanks for the offer though! :devil2: I think they are pretty similar bikes. Maby mine is water cooled and yours not or somthing like that :whistle:

Racey Rider
19th June 2005, 19:26
how close is RG to RGV?

...and dont ride at 100 for more than abour 3 hours. give it an hour inbetween.

Can't see what differents that makes myself! If it's runs alright for 3 hours, it should run alright all day given you keep fuel/oil topped up.

Suzuki took a step backwards when they replaced the RG150 with the RGV150. The RG is water cooled, full flareing, mag wheels, disk brakes both ends. The RGV is air cooled, quarter flaring, drum brake rear, spoked wheels, :puke:

pyrocam
19th June 2005, 20:07
Yeah thanks for the offer though! :devil2: I think they are pretty similar bikes. Maby mine is water cooled and yours not or somthing like that :whistle:

if your water cooled you proberly can for longer

Can't see what differents that makes myself! If it's runs alright for 3 hours, it should run alright all day given you keep fuel/oil topped up.

Originally Posted by Racey Rider
Suzuki took a step backwards when they replaced the RG150 with the RGV150. The RG is water cooled, full flareing, mag wheels, disk brakes both ends. The RGV is air cooled, quarter flaring, drum brake rear, spoked wheels

yeah. I dont think an aircooled faggy bike like man could go all day.

maybe in the south island it could.

mmm diskbrakes both ends would be nice
as well as the watercooling.

Oh well, Im buying a much more reliable bike soon. 4 cyclinder 250cc of some sort. 250fxr I think I was recommended

jimdaworm
19th June 2005, 20:14
my 98 rg150 has disk brakes and its water cooled :ride: well spotted finding that info

pyrocam
19th June 2005, 21:30
my 98 rg150 has disk brakes and its water cooled :ride: well spotted finding that info
electric or kick?

and on another note to other KB'rs. do any bikes come with both? or is it a common feature. I definately want to have both on my next bike

Jackrat
19th June 2005, 22:04
electric or kick?

and on another note to other KB'rs. do any bikes come with both? or is it a common feature. I definately want to have both on my next bike

My bike has both but I doubt you'd want one as your next bike mate.
It has errrrrrrr, forget it,it might be listening. :shifty:

Ixion
19th June 2005, 22:12
electric or kick?

Older electric start bikes normally had kick starts also. 1970's, 80's stuff.

jimdaworm
19th June 2005, 22:44
My one only has kick start, but its soooo easy to start, I can do it with my hand (I was fiddling today).

Oh yeah what are KB'rs?

pyrocam
19th June 2005, 22:45
My bike has both but I doubt you'd want one as your next bike mate.
It has errrrrrrr, forget it,it might be listening. :shifty:

hehe lol.
I get the feeling that:

Older electric start bikes normally had kick starts also. 1970's, 80's stuff.

but fark, why cant by 2001 bike have electric.
man.
stupid suzuki. whyd the do a celeron version of the RG150

still $2000 for a 2001 RGV150 with 10000k and a free $500 jacket and so bad. pretty good I thought

Ixion
19th June 2005, 22:54
hehe lol.

but fark, why cant by 2001 bike have electric.
man.
stupid suzuki. whyd the do a celeron version of the RG150

still $2000 for a 2001 RGV150 with 10000k and a free $500 jacket and so bad. pretty good I thought

Same as Celeron. Cost. Electric start is a pricey thing (and means bigger alternator, battery etc, more cost).

Similarly, water cooling costs more than air cooling.

Question is, is an electric start really so important on a 150 ?

(And I'm strange, I personally prefer a drum rear brake. Never seen any reason why a disk is better on the rear, unless you're racing. Doubtfull even then)

pyrocam
19th June 2005, 23:01
Same as Celeron. Cost. Electric start is a pricey thing (and means bigger alternator, battery etc, more cost).

Similarly, water cooling costs more than air cooling.

Question is, is an electric start really so important on a 150 ?

(And I'm strange, I personally prefer a drum rear brake. Never seen any reason why a disk is better on the rear, unless you're racing. Doubtfull even then)

point, I think its just a penis thing. well, I SUPPOSE a disk brake is better. it definatly looks like you have a better bike. just like double front disk brakes. or a big exhaust (have you ever seen the little flaccid wang on the end of my bike? im thinking of removing it)

electric is just handy. out of allll the KB members ive meet, sparky is the only one who uses a kickstart. I actually get laughed at for the kick. and yes it is only a 150, so being the mature senior member that I am, I should say haHA I have less maintenace cost for the effort of a little push or 15 in the morning.....

sigh

Ixion
19th June 2005, 23:11

electric is just handy. out of allll the KB members ive meet, sparky is the only one who uses a kickstart. ..

sigh

/me use kickstart. T500 only has kickstart. On the bloody left too, which is a pig.

Lot of the off road based singles have only kick start.

Electric start is for wimps :devil2: :devil2: [That should set something rolling ! - open the LART shelter door, I'm coming through]

pyrocam
19th June 2005, 23:48
/me use kickstart. T500 only has kickstart. On the bloody left too, which is a pig.

Lot of the off road based singles have only kick start.

Electric start is for wimps :devil2: :devil2: [That should set something rolling ! - open the LART shelter door, I'm coming through]

a 500 on a kick? fuck man you must be needing big heavy boots for that. AND on the left. thats a mission and a half.

Ive changed my mind, your right, electric is for pussies

I hope there is room in that shelter for me *covers head*

Mr Skid
20th June 2005, 00:05
a 500 on a kick? fuck man you must be needing big heavy boots for that. AND on the left. thats a mission and a half.

Ive changed my mind, your right, electric is for pussies

I hope there is room in that shelter for me *covers head*

And me? I don't know if you'd have me though- I'd like a KTM640 Enduro, they have both 'lectric leg and OG (original gangsta) kick start.

Racey Rider
20th June 2005, 08:35
I'ld have to agree there!
Having a electric start makes a machine Very close to being called a Cage!
Real Motorcycles have Kick starters!!

XTC
20th June 2005, 09:05
250fxr I think I was recommended
Do harley make an FXR in a 250cc?? :rofl:

pyrocam
20th June 2005, 14:18
oh yea kindaworm a Kb'r or KB'ers or whatver. the site is KIWIBIKER abbreviate. we are all KB'rs

Aiolos
20th June 2005, 16:47
Jimdaworm, you'll want to replace that hose - It will give you a noticeable power increase.

she_said
20th June 2005, 17:04
Jimdaworm, you'll want to replace that hose - It will give you a noticeable power increase.

Does it really?? :Pokey:
All mine does is keep the motor clean. Exaust gasses? from the power valves come out of that little hole thingie on the powervalve cover. If the hose isnt there, the motor and underneath the tank will just get really greasy.

power to the RG's :Punk:

Aiolos
20th June 2005, 17:11
There was a discussion about the 'white plastic bubble thing' a while back. I'm just too lazy to find it.

But yeah, it does make a difference.

jimdaworm
20th June 2005, 17:50
Thanks for all the feedback and answers :) I will get onto replacing that hose.

Do you know how it is supposed to be stuck on there?? (At the bottom/engine side)

ZorsT
20th June 2005, 21:17
Keep them tips coming....

....Next week...... :shutup: