PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION FROM A DUMBASS

motelbob
17th June 2005, 20:23
JUST BOUGHT A 96 RF900 AND UNDER THE SEAT IS A RESERVOIR WHICH I ASSUME IS FOR A CHAIN OILER. IF IT IS,THEN WHAT SORT OF OIL GOES IN IT?

FROSTY
17th June 2005, 20:30
its a scotoiler and darn it for once Im not cetain of the answer --ya caught me out. :devil2:

Hitcher
17th June 2005, 20:31
Scottoiler oil goes in it. Contact your local bike shop.

riffer
17th June 2005, 21:50
Congrats on the purchase. Obviously not dumb if you got yourself an RF.

Oh, and by the way - it's arse on Kiwibiker, not ass. :whistle:

marty
17th June 2005, 21:57
CHAIN OIL. i see you've been bought up in the WINJA school of tiptoe

DingDong
18th June 2005, 00:06
Cool bike man... is it a clear (opeque) bottle on the left-hand side of the bike?

Just incase... stick your finger in it and see whats in it... :niceone:

Biff
18th June 2005, 00:09
If it is a Scottioler (or similar) then place only Scottoiler oil in the tube. Are the pipes still connected? One will go down towards your chain and another, depending on the model, should be connected to a vacuum on your cylinder I think.
Scottoil comes in different grades and the oil is coloured depending on its viscosity I believe. That's all I remember sorry. Apart from the fact that you shouldn't use standard chain oil in there as it doesn't flow through properly.

Photos may help.

mikey
18th June 2005, 00:15
DUMBARRRRRRRRSE

Pixie
18th June 2005, 10:39
JUST BOUGHT A 96 RF900 AND UNDER THE SEAT IS A RESERVOIR WHICH I ASSUME IS FOR A CHAIN OILER. IF IT IS,THEN WHAT SORT OF OIL GOES IN IT?
Hi Bob, I didn't notice an oil delivery pipe on your bike when I saw it.Which makes me think that you don't have a scottoiler.( If I had, I wouldn't have Tried to sell you one of my oilers :rofl: )
Are you sure you are not looking at the shock remote reservoir.If it is the reservoir you don't want to try to open it and fill it with oil.

TonyB
18th June 2005, 10:52
If it's a Scottoiler it wil be clear, with a black dial on the top with numbers 1-9 (I think) there will be a brass hose tail on the bottom. I would post a photo but haven't got the time. There should be a hose coming off the hose tail that runs down the swingarm to the main sprocket (on the wheel). A suction line will go to the carb inlets

Qkchk
18th June 2005, 10:56
Well you shouldn't have any probs with the RF. We have just traded our two in on new bikes but still couldn't fault them. Didn't miss a beat..

As mentioned before just 'put ya finga in it!' (I'm waiting for those dirty comments to come thro) From memory it could be the water bottle, it has a black rubber clip-on lid and a milky-white bottle that molds with the bike frame so hopefully it's just the scottoiler you are describing ... ;) Have many pain-free, glich-free, broken down on the side of the road-free days, you will glad of your purchase :)

motelbob
18th June 2005, 15:08
YES IT IS A CLEAR RESERVOIR WITH DLACK CAP WITH LETTERS LLC ON TOP. CANT STICK MY FINGER IN AS HOLE OPENING IS TOO SMALL. WOULDNT HELP ANYWAY AS ITS DEAD EMPTY. REGAURDS DUMBASS OR DUMBARSE.YOU SHOULD SEE MY STUPID DONKEY.CHEERS

MacD
18th June 2005, 15:47
The radiator overflow tank is mounted on the left-hand side of the rear subframe, mostly covered by the rear plastic side cover. Have a look at item 30 on the attached parts diagram.

If it is the overflow tank and it's empty, check the radiator level. The pressure cap is under the right hand front cover between the frame and the fairing (opposite side to the "glove box").

The workshop manual recommends 50:50 antifreeze:water mix for the cooling system.

You can download a workshop manual from here (http://fjxjr.dyndns.org/rf900/).

Good choice of bike! :niceone:

motelbob
18th June 2005, 16:41
THANKS MACD. IT IS THE RADIATOR OVERFLOW TANK. RADIATOR LEVEL IS O.K. THANKS FOR RF MANUAL. PAGES AND PAGES OF PURE GOLD. CHEERS.

oldenuf
21st June 2005, 11:05
We totally agree on the rf900,wonderful bike,handles like a dream,worry free...in fact we are goin to buy another one! Then we will have two.