PDA

View Full Version : Covering Your Rego Plate?

Zed
17th June 2005, 23:05
I can't recall if this subject has been discussed much on KB before, but I would be interested in your thoughts/feelings about riders who purposely cover up their registration plate with such things as their WOF and/or Rego holder hanging over it or even with coloured tape? :weird:

Personally I don't practise it, but I have riden in group rides with guys who do. I think it's a rather desperate measure. If you don't want to get caught speeding then buy a radar detector or summat? To me it speaks of stupidity, not wisdom! :spudwow:

Come on you daredevil's that do it, I wanna hear from you!

Why do you agree or disagree?:spudwhat:

Ixion
17th June 2005, 23:16
I've never done it. But not because I really have any great moral objection to it. Mainly I guess because I was too thick to think of it, back when I was young and crazy. And nowdays I usually only speed excessively (as opposed to speeding a little bit) if I am very sure Mr Plod is not around.

Is it really so much worse than a radar detector ? I don't have one of those either BTW.

And, does it work? If you go around all the time thus, is it not likely to attract the attention of the police? And I seldom , myself, go out with such a predetermined intention to speed that I would make such preparations (tis the lure of a nice bit of road that leads me astray).

But if it works for people and they want to do it, I'm not going to knock it.

I'd be interested to know if it *does* work. Though how would one know I guess?

Zed
17th June 2005, 23:20
Personally I think you are asking a cop to stop you if nothing else to check what the rego is... then fine you for obscuring your rego... and whatever else tickles his fancy since you were trying to be a smartie.:nono:Yeah but I think the whole point of covering it up is that you won't be stopping for any cops!! :whistle:

Ixion
17th June 2005, 23:22
Yeah but I think the whole point of covering it up is that you won't be stopping for any cops!! :whistle:

I guess that's another reason I've never done it. It really only makes sense if you are confident that you have the skills to outrun the police. And I am certain that I do not. If I tried I would almost certainly kill myself. So I would not try.

Ixion
17th June 2005, 23:23
Another double post . Drat it.

Zed
17th June 2005, 23:26
I'd be interested to know if it *does* work. Though how would one know I guess?You would know by the absence of that 'knock on the front door' to arrest you! :yes:

JohnBoy
17th June 2005, 23:29
did it once for a while, used crappy chain lube to black out the numbers. worked well till i got pulled over and i was offered a fine unless i cleaned it. dont do it anymore as i live in a small town where a bike like mine dosent blend in too well.

StoneChucker
17th June 2005, 23:30
"Nup" Never done it, would never do it. Infact, my rego is one of the things I studiously wash and polish along with the rest of the bike.

One rather clever (?) thing I've seen done is guys/gals who NEVER wash their rego plate. Saw one guy's CBR1000RR where I couldn't really read the plate for the grime/crap caked on it.

I'll never have the balls to try outrun the cops, even if I ever did get the skills. Not that doing so is a clever thing to do mind you. Like I always say, if I pass a cop doing something silly, or see the lights turn on in the distance, I'll carry on as I was. If they catch up, I pull over, if they don't, I don't. Ofcourse, I may make an unscheduled stop as apposed to continuing to where I was going. Does that constitute doing a runner?

For me, a runner is when you've got your rego taped over, you have a chopper following you, 3 cars on your tail and 3 ahead forming a road block. :devil2:

Zed
17th June 2005, 23:53
Infact, my rego is one of the things I studiously wash and polish along with the rest of the bike.Likewise do I. 1st time I've admitted it in public though! :msn-wink:

One rather clever (?) thing I've seen done is guys/gals who NEVER wash their rego plate. Saw one guy's CBR1000RR where I couldn't really read the plate for the grime/crap caked on it.You reckon that's clever? What's cleverer is the James Bond style double-sided flip-over rego!

...Ofcourse, I may make an unscheduled stop as apposed to continuing to where I was going. Does that constitute doing a runner?I think that's defined as a 'hider' not a "runner". :lol:

For me, a runner is when you've got your rego taped over, you have a chopper following you, 3 cars on your tail and 3 ahead forming a road block. :devil2:Those ones usually end in death or serious injury...in real life that is.

DingDong
17th June 2005, 23:59
Its not hard to outrun a cop... but you'll need alot of luck to outrun a cops R/T :weird:

Personally, If I think I can get away with it... I'll try, if the risks too high I wont

Zed
18th June 2005, 00:12
Personally, If I think I can get away with it... I'll try, if the risks too high I wontAre you a bit of a gambler Wayne?

FROSTY
18th June 2005, 00:23
worst ive done is ride with no plate at all--the crap square plates used to snap off at random --honest injun

DingDong
18th June 2005, 00:28
Are you a bit of a gambler Wayne?

Not really... but the scales may tip either way, you know...

Gremlin
18th June 2005, 00:30
I gotta say, when (don't see it as an if) I develop some serious handling skills, very few cops around, and one wants to talk to me, I would love to have a go... :devil2:

Once you start tho, you incur so many penalties that carrying on adds very little (comparatively) plus if you know what you are doing you can easily outstrip a cop - unless he has mates.

But being a learner, I make sure the plate is nice and clean when I clean the bike. :niceone:

zadok
18th June 2005, 00:31
Definately not :innocent:

Motu
18th June 2005, 09:20
I kinda do the opposite - I have always,and still do,run the incorrect plate on my bikes - at the moment I have 2 off road Yamaha's,I will register each for 6 mths and swap plates,as I said I've always done this.So all I want is a Cop giving me a quick glance,even if he picks me up it's yes sir,no sir give me my ticket...then I'm gone.No way do I want him suspicious and give my bike a good going over,don't give him a reason to chase me.I've only been done for incorrect rego once.

Zed
18th June 2005, 09:27
I kinda do the opposite - I have always,and still do,run the incorrect plate on my bikes - Yes I spose that's another option, a more worldy-wise one...do you know what the punnishment/penalty for that is if prosecuted?

Ixion
18th June 2005, 09:28
I kinda do the opposite - I have always,and still do,run the incorrect plate on my bikes - at the moment I have 2 off road Yamaha's,I will register each for 6 mths and swap plates,as I said I've always done this.So all I want is a Cop giving me a quick glance,even if he picks me up it's yes sir,no sir give me my ticket...then I'm gone.No way do I want him suspicious and give my bike a good going over,don't give him a reason to chase me.I've only been done for incorrect rego once.

Only 2. I once had 6 bikes, one (registered) plate. Which went on whichever I was using.

You could get away with heaps in those days, no cop ever questioned that the BSA A10 I was riding was registered as a Honda SL125. But I was careful , in those pre computer days, I would get a WOF for each of them . Plate on #1, down to the testing station. Plate on #2 , down to the station etc. Reason was that suspicious cops were known to check that the WOF agreed with the model. Nothing on the rego sticker then to say what model it was, but the WOF sticker did have it.

Nowdays I think you'd only get away with it if they were at least the same make.

I've never had any scruples about this. I only ride one at a time, don't see why I should have to pay 6 lots of registration fees.

Ixion
18th June 2005, 09:34
Yes I spose that's another option, a more worldy-wise one...do you know what the punnishment/penalty for that is if prosecuted?

Dunno, but not much, I wouldn't think. They're both registered in his name , so there's no intent to evade. And easy to bullshit your way out, just "Oh I'm terribly sorry officer. I have the two bikes you see, one is being restored. I was working on both last night nad had bits strewn around, I must have inadvertently switched the paltes. I'll rectify my error immediately". Just so long as he doesn't catch you a second time !

Of course a dishonest person could do the car thing and just steal a plate. Grab one off a similar model, rider comes back "Fark, I've lost my plate, goes and gets a new one". Original will be deactivated but no-ones going to know unless they check. In which case you assume you're already doing the runner.

StoneChucker
18th June 2005, 09:44
I once had 6 bikes, one (registered) plate. Which went on whichever I was using.
I've never had any scruples about this. I only ride one at a time, don't see why I should have to pay 6 lots of registration fees.

When you own 6 vehicles or more, you can get a collectors plate. One plate, that you can legally use on all 6 bikes. Don't know exactly how it works, but it saves you on 5 lots (if you have 6) of ACC charges I would assume??? I don't have 6, but it's farking unfair to have to pay 3 lots of ACC charges, when you can't injure yourself on a vehicle you aren't using.

So, question is: Do I keep paying 3 lots of wof and rego? Do I do the illegal thing and end up trying to convince Mr Plod that my red sports bike is infact a 1990 Mazda MX5 OR do I buy 3 or 4 more buckets and register them all as a collector? :niceone:

Zed
18th June 2005, 09:52
Dunno, but not much, I wouldn't think.Yeah it's just petty crime (http://thelawwestofealingbroadway.blogspot.com/2005/05/whats-petty-crime.html) after all. :whistle: I know you'll disagree Ixion. Good story that!

They're both registered in his name , so there's no intent to evade. And easy to bullshit your way out, just "Oh I'm terribly sorry officer. I have the two bikes you see, one is being restored. I was working on both last night nad had bits strewn around, I must have inadvertently switched the paltes. I'll rectify my error immediately". Just so long as he doesn't catch you a second time !

Of course a dishonest person could do the car thing and just steal a plate. Grab one off a similar model, rider comes back "Fark, I've lost my plate, goes and gets a new one". Original will be deactivated but no-ones going to know unless they check. In which case you assume you're already doing the runner.Thank you for that little insight into your world.

Torque
18th June 2005, 09:58
We had a thing in the UK,now and then we would take off the number plates and go for a what we called a mad half hour. we would just race really and if you were spotted by a cop you just ride faster! But i really don't reconmend it. It seemed allot of fun and used to get the blood pumping but we had a few scares and thease days i wash and shine my plate like the rest of the bike. One guy i ride with at the moment has used paint stripper to take off all the numbers and has been riding like that as long as i have known him. He hasn't been pulled over yet.

Ixion
18th June 2005, 10:11
When you own 6 vehicles or more, you can get a collectors plate. One plate, that you can legally use on all 6 bikes. Don't know exactly how it works, but it saves you on 5 lots (if you have 6) of ACC charges I would assume???

Didn't know that. Thanks. (Though I'm unlikely to acquire 6 again). I don't know whether such a thign existed long ago. I did enquire about dealer's plates but you had (have ?) to be a LMVD.

I don't have 6, but it's farking unfair to have to pay 3 lots of ACC charges, when you can't injure yourself on a vehicle you aren't using.

Yes, that's the reason that people do it (assuming that anyone other than Mr Motu does still do it). 'Tis very unfair that. I always maintain that licensing charges should be per person not per vehicle.Cos the converse is that you can have one vehicel used round the clock by 6 people, with a higher ACC risk, yet they only pay one levy.

So, question is: Do I keep paying 3 lots of wof and rego? Do I do the illegal thing and end up trying to convince Mr Plod that my red sports bike is infact a 1990 Mazda MX5 OR do I buy 3 or 4 more buckets and register them all as a collector? :niceone:

I think that the swapsy trick would be too dangerous nowdays unless the vehicles were at least the same make. That way they would pass a police comms check, they'd have to look for the VIN number to find the switch.

Ixion
18th June 2005, 10:18
Yeah it's just petty crime (http://thelawwestofealingbroadway.blogspot.com/2005/05/whats-petty-crime.html) after all. :whistle: I know you'll disagree Ixion. Good story that!

Thank you for that little insight into your world.
Tis administrive crime actually. Depriving the state of revenue it might theoretically have had.

I actually caught a car thief once who was using the stolen plate trick. I was following him, and realised that the plate on the vehicle was too old for it, the years didn't match (eg a 2000 model car with an M series plate). So I called *555 (I was in my car, this was in the days when *555 actually did something). Control said "Where are you" "Such a place' "Oh theres a car nearby I'll contact him". Followed the ringer, and sure enough 5 minutes later saw him stopped. I'm assuming it was a car thief, the guy driving didn't match the vehicle either (nice stereotyping there). I watched for a while as the cop discussed the meaning of life with the driver at great length, then had to move on.

Don't like car thieves.

Zed
18th June 2005, 10:19
We had a thing in the UK,now and then we would take off the number plates and go for a what we called a mad half hour. we would just race really and if you were spotted by a cop you just ride faster! But i really don't reconmend it. It seemed allot of fun and used to get the blood pumping but we had a few scares and

thease days i wash and shine my plate like the rest of the bike. One guy i ride with at the moment has used paint stripper to take off all the numbers and has been riding like that as long as i have known him. He hasn't been pulled over yet.I've seen that too on cars and bikes. Usually chuckle when I see it cos if I was a cop I'd know that the owner of that plate is devious and has probably broken the law for many years, usually in more ways than just that one! (No offence to any KB deviants, but if the shoe fits wear it)

I think that covering the plate or making it more vague is really just drawing extra attention you don't need, sooner or later if you continue to buck the system you will get caught and regret it. You may be able to live with it, but there is such a thing as having a clear conscience in life which makes it so much more enjoyable! :yes:

Motu
18th June 2005, 10:35
screaming
Only 2. I once had 6 bikes, one (registered) plate. Which went on whichever I was using.

You could get away with heaps in those days, no cop ever questioned that the BSA A10 I was riding was registered as a Honda SL125. But I was careful , in those pre computer days, I would get a WOF for each of them . Plate on #1, down to the testing station. Plate on #2 , down to the station etc. Reason was that suspicious cops were known to check that the WOF agreed with the model. Nothing on the rego sticker then to say what model it was, but the WOF sticker did have it.

Nowdays I think you'd only get away with it if they were at least the same make.

The only time I got caught was on my 1954 Goldflash,but I had modified it to take B series singles,finally with an M20,that's the 500 sidevalve.I had the bike down the line when the mirror law came in and was riding it back to Auckland....with no mirror.

Around Ohaupo I see a cop behind me (with out mirrors we had eyes in the back of our head eh) and he pulled me over...no mirror of course.Um,no woF either - ''no speedo'' he says - I'm quick from practice - 'It doesn't need a speedo,it's a 1948'.....''Looks like a '54 Goldflash to me''...'Aaaaagh!.....um,ah,well,ah....it's registerd as the 1948 engine' Being the owner of an A10 he's keen to check my bike out and we talk and I get a ticket for no WoF.

I had gone down to pick my bike up with my wife in my 1954 Austin A40 pickup...my wife is driving it back and goes past us,then pulls into a stockpile area to wait for me and say 'I told you so'.I pull up and lean the bike against the truck,just force of habit,most of my bikes don't have sidestands.As we are talking the bike cop goes screaming past,sees us and does a huge lock up slide and comes over,he's kinda angry....

''what's the plate off?'' he asks.....'it's off a 1964 Rickman Metisse' I tell him.He's happy with that,it's not often he would get that reply and it's a bike registerd in my name.''Is this your truck?'' I tell him yes and he makes my wife and I lift that heavy bike onto the back with no ramp,not lending a hand,just watching....punishment eh? Cost me $150 for that and that was a lot of money in 1978.

But the joke was on him because the A40 had no WoF OR rego.

Jackrat
18th June 2005, 10:38
My brother had mud on his plate until I pointed out how silly a spotless 70k HD looked with mud on just the plate,and how a cop would see it if an when he was pulled over.
I keep my plate clean because I don't want a cop laughing at me,they have enough reasons now with out me adding another one. :whistle:

WINJA
18th June 2005, 11:33
did it once for a while, used crappy chain lube to black out the numbers. worked well till i got pulled over and i was offered a fine unless i cleaned it. dont do it anymore as i live in a small town where a bike like mine dosent blend in too well.
BLEND IN HOW DO THE LOCALS SAY THATS ONE OF THEM THERE NEW FANGLED JAPANESE MOTORCYCLES

JohnBoy
18th June 2005, 11:57
BLEND IN HOW DO THE LOCALS SAY THATS ONE OF THEM THERE NEW FANGLED JAPANESE MOTORCYCLES

its pretty easy to spot a bright green single seater road bike when there is only about a dozen other road bikes in town..

NordieBoy
18th June 2005, 12:32
I think that the swapsy trick would be too dangerous nowdays unless the vehicles were at least the same make. That way they would pass a police comms check, they'd have to look for the VIN number to find the switch.

2 yellow and black Nordies :D

Bonez
18th June 2005, 16:39
worst ive done is ride with no plate at all--the crap square plates used to snap off at random --honest injunThat reminds me. I must get around to replacing GasAxes one..............

lukehyslop
18th June 2005, 18:39
I knew a guy who regisered his cage (evo) as an agricultural vehicle. Cost about $35 a year from memory. Only difference was that the rego had an A instead of a G at in the bottom left corner. He was required to stay within a certain distance of his "farm". Only one cop noticed in 3 years of driving and $200 fine.

Zapf
20th June 2005, 00:26
but the evo is 4wd not? just so he can quickly get from one side of the farm to the other.. :motu:

phantom
20th June 2005, 08:18
what about all the trucks you see around that no way in hell can you read their rego

scumdog
20th June 2005, 10:23
I knew a guy who regisered his cage (evo) as an agricultural vehicle. Cost about $35 a year from memory. Only difference was that the rego had an A instead of a G at in the bottom left corner. He was required to stay within a certain distance of his "farm". Only one cop noticed in 3 years of driving and $200 fine.

He was lucky, could have gone to court for 'using a document for the purposes of gaining a pecuniary advantage' and theres $130 in cost before the fine is mentioned.

Lou Girardin
20th June 2005, 12:08
It's like the old days when 'bikies' covered their plates in dirt and grease till they were illegible.
They may as well have said, stop me and book me for anything you can find.
We did.

DrDee
22nd June 2005, 18:47
When I had my Harley it had one of those square plates on it, mounted sticking up off the rear guard. Just so happens it was perfect for dropping the spare helmet on to carry it around... I must have gone 6 months with the spare helmet totally obscuring the number plate before a cop finallly pulled me over and asked where the number plate was :whistle:

Zed
22nd June 2005, 18:55
When I had my Harley it had one of those square plates on it, mounted sticking up off the rear guard. Just so happens it was perfect for dropping the spare helmet on to carry it around... I must have gone 6 months with the spare helmet totally obscuring the number plate before a cop finallly pulled me over and asked where the number plate was :whistle:Hey you didn't belong to that Harley Bankrobber Gang did ya?? :nono:

Jackrat
22nd June 2005, 19:10
It's like the old days when 'bikies' covered their plates in dirt and grease till they were illegible.
They may as well have said, stop me and book me for anything you can find.
We did.

That's much as I explained it to me Bro'.
Talk about a red flag to a bull.
About as bright as wearing a cannibis Tee shirt,Pick me, pick me.
Morons. :rofl:

Sparky Bills
23rd June 2005, 09:00
Covering Your Rego Plate?

Whats a Rego plate??
OHHHHHH
Sorry Orificer, It must have fallen off :whistle:

loosebruce
23rd June 2005, 18:30
A certain buddy of mine has got it sorted with tyre rubber from numerous burnouts covering most of his plate.
My TL one got dragged along the road at a fair speed and a fair bit scrapped away.
Normally i take the plate light blub out, and if it ever er falls off, there's never a plan to hang around to explain why it's "fallen" off.
I need to mod the Gixxer a fair bit as that plate hanger is just plain ugly and the need to re position the plate. Not that i do anything illegal on the road anyway.

Save it for the track.

Lou Girardin
24th June 2005, 15:14
A certain buddy of mine has got it sorted with tyre rubber from numerous burnouts covering most of his plate.
My TL one got dragged along the road at a fair speed and a fair bit scrapped away.
Normally i take the plate light blub out, and if it ever er falls off, there's never a plan to hang around to explain why it's "fallen" off.
I need to mod the Gixxer a fair bit as that plate hanger is just plain ugly and the need to re position the plate. Not that i do anything illegal on the road anyway.

Save it for the track.

That may work for you, but I'm damned if I want to ride and be prepared to do a runner all the time.

FEINT
24th June 2005, 23:56
I am wondering if having the plate in this location is illegal in New Zealand? It can be seen, just that it isn't on the END of the bike. I guess it can be considered covering the plate?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/feintnz/side.jpg

N4CR
25th June 2005, 00:05
Lets just say... im not exactly looking where the plate is :D

Friggen sexy bike that.. nice zorst (square looks quite nice actually ;) ) hope you do something like that, FEINT.

I dont know if NZ plates would fit down there though without being on too much angle..?

Ixion
25th June 2005, 00:10
No number plate light ?

Zed
25th June 2005, 00:12
I am wondering if having the plate in this location is illegal in New Zealand? It can be seen, just that it isn't on the END of the bike. I guess it can be considered covering the plate?IMO I like the look of that but I'm guessing you'd get knocked back on it, and it would get covered in muck from the tyre making it unclear to read...sounds like a 'cover up' to me? :whistle:

N4CR
25th June 2005, 00:13
No number plate light ?

IMO better than 'it fell out' as when the bulb magically un-screws itself... ain't always believeable.... why not connect it up to a higher voltage power supply (eg 24 or somethign) or put it in the microwave so it burns out. Then its more believeable huh :D (and then put it back in).

FEINT
25th June 2005, 00:16
Lets just say... im not exactly looking where the plate is :D

Friggen sexy bike that.. nice zorst (square looks quite nice actually ;) ) hope you do something like that, FEINT.

I dont know if NZ plates would fit down there though without being on too much angle..?

I need somewhere to mount my plate without being too illegal. They mounted it under the seat so it leaves the rear end clean and tidy. Was thinking of the same, but wondering if illegal.

IMO I like the look of that but I'm guessing you'd get knocked back on it, and it would get covered in muck from the tyre making it unclear to read...sounds like a 'cover up' to me?

If it is dirty, another reason to clean it :D haha. I guess, i will try to mount it down there. :D Thanks for the input guys, sorry for hijacking the post.

:D

sorry for hijacking the post...

Zed
25th June 2005, 00:29
Thanks for the input guys, sorry for hijacking the post.

:D
sorry for hijacking the post...No need to apologise...twice. I don't consider that a hijack at all, unlike the boring endless dialogue that often occurs when the 'Pointless-drivel Princes' take over! :nono:

DEATH_INC.
28th June 2005, 20:18
I've been busted in the past for this (woof over the plate)....I do it not for running from coppers,but to keep those 'concerned citizens' from blabbing on their cellys......What rubber? :devil2:

sAsLEX
28th June 2005, 21:16
I am wondering if having the plate in this location is illegal in New Zealand? It can be seen, just that it isn't on the END of the bike. I guess it can be considered covering the plate?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/feintnz/side.jpg

it should be legal as long as its viewable from the rear, pretty sure there nothing that says the plate must be at the rear most extremity of the vehicle, tow trucks often have them on the rear of the cab.

Plus if you look at alot of cars on the road, their towbars obscure the plate even with out anything on them.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=738
only thing is though you will need a rear facing red reflector with the right regs on it, you can pick these up from repco about ten bucks(like in above pic) and will just sit under or above your plate. Plus you will need some light, 2 white leds and resistor should do that sweet as though.