PDA

View Full Version : Not so new biker who has fallen for an Aprilia (supa.m)

supa.m
14th January 2011, 19:53
:eek:Hi all, I have been watching from the sidelines for a bit and have finally decided to give posting a go. I have been riding for a while (25 years on and off) and learnt a s%!t load in that time (as you do). I have learnt a heap more from this forum, I have laughed at some posts and have been exasperated by a few as well, its alot like motorcycles really. THANK YOU:niceone: to those that commit to making this forum available and those that contribute to it.

I recently rode a Ducati 999 and had my horizons shifted when it comes to the wooooohoooo factor of motorcycling, what a blast!!! Since then I have been looking at V twin bikes to buy. I have test ridden a VTR1000, SV1000, Ducati ST2, and an Aprilia RSV1000 MILLE. I have fallen for the Aprilia, problem is I know NOTHING about them? The link below is the bike I am looking at, its at the top of my budget and I am worried about the cost of keeping it on the road, what do you think?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=321368352

EJK
14th January 2011, 19:58
Hi there! Welcome to the amazing universe of KiwiBiker Forum - The home of experts and geniuses.
You will find all your unanswered questions here, seek no further!

Welcome!

For the Aprilia: I can't help you there, sorry.

Corse1
14th January 2011, 21:38
Have to be cheaper than a ducati:niceone:

Although I would have thought there are nicer ones out there for an RSV at a better price like this one...
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-346566255.htm

Cant add any info on maintenance costs. Ive ridden a few RSV's and considered buying one at one stage but it was not nice to ride for distance. This model had me wanting to get off after 35kms. I lasted 70kms on a 2007 factory and still felt ok.

I was always impressed with the power delivery though:msn-wink:

supa.m
14th January 2011, 22:50
Yeah the comfort over time always put me off sports bikes in general, sports tourers have been my "thing" for 15 years. After discovering that I was OK on the triple 9 I tried the others and I found the Mille to be comfortable personally, more so than the SV certainly. The power delivery is great, i call it WOOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!

NighthawkNZ
14th January 2011, 23:33
The Ducati wil cost no more to maintain than any other bike mondern bike although if you were going in to the ST range I would go for the ST4 or the ST4s.

ST2 has the 944,
ST4 has the 916,
ST4s has the 996 the ST4s also has all the extra bits ohlin shocks bremdro brakes and Titanium this and that ets...

I wouldn't really call the RSV1000 a sports tourer its more in the sports class though you can tour on any bike. how would you feel if you did a 500km day? (to me thats a average day trip) but if you don't do that kind of riding how ever many kms you do in a day....

20,872km it was probably due for a service hence it being sold ... lol

any way you have to work out want you really want it for, track day, weekend play and one tour a year, or several tours a year some weekends away and and one track day a year???

I have no idea on maintenance costs of them but but in my experience all modern bikes work out about the same...

Winston001
14th January 2011, 23:58
I echo Nighthawks advice. I was in the same place as you 3 years ago trying to decide on a newish bike along the sports-tourer line. I picked the Aprilia RSV Mille as the favourite until someone here kindly pointed out that Aprilia mechanics are not common, nor are extra bits and pieces.

That was a valuable dash of cold water.

I then looked for what I really wanted which was a Ducati ST4, eventually finding a good one through a KB member. No regrets. Oh how I loved that bike....sob.....its in a better place now....

The ST2 is a good bike but the 4 is a complete leap in technology and frankly, faster. The 4 valve watercooled 916 is recognised and respected as one of Ducatis best engines. I'd buy a pure 916 just for the thrill of owning one. Alas.....

Just to confuse things, both bikes were replaced by the Ducati ST3 which from my reading proved to be an intelligent upgrade. Easier and cheaper to service - and Ducati mechanics aren't an endangered species. :D

If I was you I'd seriously consider an ST3. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Tourers/auction-334053086.htm

heavyduty
15th January 2011, 10:10
hi, have you tryed a SP2 ? just thinking of that vtwin but with jap machanics/parts easy to find and still got the super bike wooohooo.?

Latte
15th January 2011, 11:01
I can do 4-500k on an RSV fine in a day, couple stops for gas/piss etc. And thats "Fun" riding as well (Coro Loop etc), not mile munching down SH1. But make no mistake, the bike has a very forward riding position, and has a high seat etc. You could always try a Tuono - same bike with highrise bars and naked.

The RSV has a huge source of online information and parts are readily accessible via the internet (AF1 racing in the states can get pretty much everything to you in under a week at a good price).

Regular maintenance is no dearer than other bikes - oil, filter, plugs etc are all well priced, they don't run a belt like a ducati so only need to do a valve clearance check every 2nd service (7500k service interval too).

They do have some weak points - rear brake (needs to be bled a certain way otherwise it's very easy to trap air in the slave), electrical - poor connections to the reg/rec cause a big drop of voltage/current supplied to the starter, replacing the connectors or hard-wiring the reg/rec is a common fix), sprag clutch (bikes with the electrical problem spend more time trying to kick the bike over, leading to increased wear on the sprag) - the sprag clutch is a common part amongst quite a few other bikes, depening on source they can be quite cheap, front discs get a bit of a shudder - if caught in time can be prevented.

If you like the bike, and the only things putting you off are the maintenance and parts availability then I would do it - if you were buying new and had to deal with warranty claims etc then I would be stressed :D Also as others have stated make sure it is the bike you want.

supa.m
16th January 2011, 18:00
Thanks all, I am still keen on the Mille but having looked at the other offerings on TM I realise there are better ones to be had. I have a buyer for the Bandit so wont need to trade therefore will wait for the right one!!!

I rode an ST2 which I enjoyed but didnt get the wooohooo from it, I wonder if the ST4 or ST3 would be different, if I can I will try them out. I definately need to find an SP1 to try it looks interesting. I was out on the Paekakariki hill road today and came accross a KTM Duke (not sure about the size) which also looked interesting.....

They are all good but cant have them all.........

I ride Wellington/Masterton/Palmy/Wellington loop regularly, 3-400K's is a nice ride and so is 100K's, 50K's and a quick run to the shop..... I have never done a track day but its going to happen very soon and I do at least one long tour a year with the odd weekend away. I have a cruiser which is what I use when 2 up so that is not something to consider. What to do, what to do :eek:

spacemonkey
16th January 2011, 18:12
I recently rode a Ducati 999 and had my horizons shifted when it comes to the wooooohoooo factor of motorcycling, what a blast!!! Since then I have been looking at V twin bikes to buy. I have test ridden a VTR1000, SV1000, Ducati ST2, and an Aprilia RSV1000 MILLE. I have fallen for the Aprilia, problem is I know NOTHING about them? The link below is the bike I am looking at, its at the top of my budget and I am worried about the cost of keeping it on the road, what do you think?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=321368352

I'm a recent Aprillia convert, brought a brand spanking RSV Tuono R about 8-9 weeks ago.
I'm still in lust with it every time I go downstairs into the garage there's my lil black beauty! :love:
Tuono is same motor/frame as the Mille just different ergonomics and engine management package, more comfy for longer rides (it is a sports tourer after all). official stats is 0-100 3.1sec!!
Motor is a rock solid Rotax unit.

The downside to an Aprillia is that the importer is Triumph NZ about whom it is often difficult to have a good thing to say about.

supa.m
16th January 2011, 18:50
The downside to an Aprillia is that the importer is Triumph NZ about whom it is often difficult to have a good thing to say about.

Oh dear, I have a bit of a thing for the Daytona 675 as well so to hear that about Triumph NZ is worrying..... Oh well just as well motorcycling isnt meant to make sense LOL.

Beautiful bike you have there by the way!

Corse1
17th January 2011, 08:46
I have the ST4s and think you will have trouble getting your kind of woohoo factor out of one compared to the Aprilia. The St is down on power by 20 odd horses to the Aprilia and doesn't has slightly less low down punch as the ST2 but gives more rush after 5500rpm.

Having said that, I would rather have the ST4s as it suits me better and I enjoy the riding experience of this bike over the Aprilia but everyones different. Its definately not a low maintenance bike but I do it all myself so live with it.

supa.m
17th January 2011, 21:26
I have the ST4s and think you will have trouble getting your kind of woohoo factor out of one compared to the Aprilia. The St is down on power by 20 odd horses to the Aprilia and doesn't has slightly less low down punch as the ST2 but gives more rush after 5500rpm.

Having said that, I would rather have the ST4s as it suits me better and I enjoy the riding experience of this bike over the Aprilia but everyones different. Its definately not a low maintenance bike but I do it all myself so live with it.

Thanks, I think you may be right about the woohoo factor, I rode the ST and the 999 and really it was all about the 999 for me.

Sold my Bandit today, one step closer. Is anybody interested in a '96 Suzuki 250 Djebel, tidy with reg, warrant and sweet motor (no smoke, rattles or other nasties)? I think its worth somwhere between 2 and 3K????

Dazza
18th January 2011, 15:14
Thanks, I think you may be right about the woohoo factor, I rode the ST and the 999 and really it was all about the 999 for me.

Sold my Bandit today, one step closer. Is anybody interested in a '96 Suzuki 250 Djebel, tidy with reg, warrant and sweet motor (no smoke, rattles or other nasties)? I think its worth somwhere between 2 and 3K????Good luck with our choice,PM Sensei,he'll put you straight. I've owned 2 Aprilias,2 KTM Super Dukes and now into 12mths & 20,000k's on my Ducati Streetfighter. At the end of the day it's what floats your boat really. Cannot go wrong with an Aprilia though, mate will be selling his 2003 Tuono Racing shortly, it's the one with all the carbon bling as standard & Robert Taylor tweaked Ohlins (he also has a 999) he'll be wanting about 10k for it.

supa.m
18th January 2011, 17:54
Good luck with our choice,PM Sensei,he'll put you straight. I've owned 2 Aprilias,2 KTM Super Dukes and now into 12mths & 20,000k's on my Ducati Streetfighter. At the end of the day it's what floats your boat really. Cannot go wrong with an Aprilia though, mate will be selling his 2003 Tuono Racing shortly, it's the one with all the carbon bling as standard & Robert Taylor tweaked Ohlins (he also has a 999) he'll be wanting about 10k for it.

Thanks Dazza, I am probably going to make my purchase (whatever it ends up being) in Feb/March so if that fits with your mates timetable and 10K is the ballpark I would be interested in talking. Tell him to PM me if he wants to.

I am (of course) interested to hear more from anyone that has owned an Aprilia and/or has a view as to the cost of ownership but I think what I am hearing is they are not "mortgage the cat" expensive nor are they "Bandit" inexpensive to own. Therefore I am still enamored so looks like an Aprilia is in my future.

:niceone:Thanks again all.

Dazza
19th January 2011, 08:02
Thanks Dazza, I am probably going to make my purchase (whatever it ends up being) in Feb/March so if that fits with your mates timetable and 10K is the ballpark I would be interested in talking. Tell him to PM me if he wants to.

I am (of course) interested to hear more from anyone that has owned an Aprilia and/or has a view as to the cost of ownership but I think what I am hearing is they are not "mortgage the cat" expensive nor are they "Bandit" inexpensive to own. Therefore I am still enamored so looks like an Aprilia is in my future.

:niceone:Thanks again all.Cannot comment on the later models but I had a good run out of my two. Bought a Falco in 2000 brand new & did 24,000k's in 14mths & had no issues with her, just felt the rear spring was too soft for my lard arse. Bought a Millie 2000R brand new in Dec 2001 and covered 45,000k's on her with no issues,all I did was fit a can & chip & K&N filter and just rode the thing,just had it serviced regularly @ a reputable dealer & all was good. I think Sensei is up around the 70,000k mark with his 03R & still lovin it, he has done a fair bit of tinkering with her though. The trick is to find someone that knows about them to help you out. Theres heaps of information on the net and as has been previously stated AF1 in the States is a good source of info & parts.

Corse1
19th January 2011, 08:39
Good luck with our choice,PM Sensei,he'll put you straight. I've owned 2 Aprilias,2 KTM Super Dukes and now into 12mths & 20,000k's on my Ducati Streetfighter. At the end of the day it's what floats your boat really. Cannot go wrong with an Aprilia though, mate will be selling his 2003 Tuono Racing shortly, it's the one with all the carbon bling as standard & Robert Taylor tweaked Ohlins (he also has a 999) he'll be wanting about 10k for it.

Yeah if i was forced down to one bike I would like it to be the street fighter S but money would be too tight so would go for the 05 up tuono factory.

Would always be hard to sell the 4s though............

Dazza
19th January 2011, 08:55
Yeah if i was forced down to one bike I would like it to be the street fighter S but money would be too tight so would go for the 05 up tuono factory.

Would always be hard to sell the 4s though............I hear you about $$$$, IMHO though there's nothing wrong with Showa for the Street & traction controls for noobies anyway :msn-wink: I actually prefer the way the pre 05's make their power compared to the next generation.Few of my mates down here ride Tuono's 03's-05's, I found the Super Dukes riding position more to my liking though !

supa.m
11th February 2011, 23:34
Thanks all for the advice, here is the result!!!! la mia moto nuova che è una bellezza!

shafty
12th February 2011, 04:14
Good luck, and you won't want my advice, nor will my Euro riding colleagues....

In a few words Ïf you can't afford to buy a new Aprilia, you can't afford to own an Aprilia."

Hundreds will disagree.

No problems with that.

Good luck anyhow.

Shafty

supa.m
12th February 2011, 18:29

In a few words Ïf you can't afford to buy a new Aprilia, you can't afford to own an Aprilia."

Hundreds will disagree.

No problems with that.

Good luck anyhow.

Shafty

Thanks Shafty advice is advice, take it or leave it, its all good. Yeah, I am sure that at some point I will question the wisdom of the purchase....not today though..... so far a little shy of 700ks ridden and what a blast!!! The Rimutaka's this afternoon were just fantastic. No buyers remorse just yet lol:woohoo:

Latte
12th February 2011, 19:32

Hundreds will disagree.

No problems with that.

Good luck anyhow.

Shafty

That sounds like experience talking.... could you elaborate ? (Keen to prepare myself for impending doom hehe)

nosebleed
12th February 2011, 20:33
Thanks all for the advice, here is the result!!!! la mia moto nuova che è una bellezza!

Beautiful bike. Thats the model and coluor scheme that sold me on Aprilia's.

That Blue and Red just fuckin pops in the sun.

Good choice that man.

Fatt Max
13th February 2011, 06:48
Welcome to KB, the font of all knowledge

No need to a referenece library and Wikipedia is a mere kids site compared to the wisdom that lurks within these forums

Enjoy

Corse1
13th February 2011, 09:16
Yeah "Supa M" that was the bike that had me intrigued when they came out. Two of thsoe the same colour as your purchase cruised through Maraitai nearly 10 years ago and I had never seen one before.

Looks to be in awsome condition. Great purchase.