PDA

View Full Version : My first Suzuki

Hitcher
16th January 2011, 17:31
After eight years, five previous bikes and nearly 220,000km saddle time, I’ve just gone and done something a little unusual: I have procured a 2010 Suzuki GSX1250FA in the factory touring format. It’s Indy Candy Blue. This event is unusual because this is my first Suzuki.

Why? Three months ago I had a rather eventful mishap with my Aprilia Shiver that resulted in it being written off by my insurer.

Looking for a replacement has been a bit exhausting. What else is there on the market with good ergonomics, reasonable range, reliable parts and after sales service at a price that doesn’t make one’s nose bleed? Very little, in my opinion. A 1200cc or even 750cc Shiver with a 19 litre tank may have seduced me, but it would have needed to be a massive seduction to counter the downside provided by the suboptimal and largely disinterested New Zealand distributor. A KTM 990SMT may have done it, if KTM still had these as a current model and if they were several thousand dollars less expensive. Ducati Multistrada? Not new at the current prices, and I would be reluctant to procure the previous model version given their finicketyness for service and the cost of getting that. Yamaha TDM990? A bit dear and, according to Yamaha New Zealand’s web site, not currently available in this market (like most of the Yamaha range, which is in fact available for sale new). Suzuki V-Strom 1,000? Nice, but it doesn’t speak to me, sorry. Yamaha FJR1300? Been there, done that. Bloody brilliant bike, and a bit pricey new. Kawasaki? Nothing that interests me (I don’t want a Concours for the same reason I don’t want an FJR1300). Honda? Nothing that interests me (I’ve owned an ST1300 and don’t rate it anywhere near the FJR or the Connie).

Suzuki GSX1250FA? Bingo!

I may well have bought one of these in its standard form – without the Givi hard luggage. I really like the look of them, and think that the Indy Candy Blue model with its titanium-coloured rims is the sexiest of the three available colours (silver and black being the other two choices). A GSX-R1000 headlight and the full engine fairing enhance the sharp looks. But New Plymouth Motorcycle Centre had their demonstrator (1,130km on the clock and new bike smell) available at a very sharp price. They added Oxford heated grips, a Scottoiler and a Leo Vince SBK can for a few extra sheckles, and I was sold!

So on Friday just past, Mrs H and I flew to New Plymouth and rode it home.

Jumping on, the first thing I noticed was the lack of leg room compared with the Shiver. McDonald Motor Trimmers will be able to help me with that, I’m sure. Otherwise the ergonomics are very Japanese, well finished and in the right places.

Starting it up? It’s a Suzuki. Squeeze the clutch in mate!

Riding away, it’s sublimely smooth. Indeed it’s hard to believe that there are any reciprocating parts in the engine. It has a red line on the tach up there somewhere and even a shift light. Why, I’m not quite sure. All the business happens between 2,000rpm and 4,000rpm. Effortlessly. The 110Nm of torque peaks at 3,700rpm.

Riding an Aprilia Shiver meant that lots of gear changing was necessary. That was the first bike I ever owned where first was a genuine riding gear, particularly for sharp uphill corners.

It took me all of about three minutes to mentally segue back to my short-shifting habits and rolling-on-in-top-overtaking that was a feature of my time on an FJR1300. This lad clearly has a large soft-spot for big torquey inline fours.

Despite never having personally owned one, I have done a few km on Bandits before. Mrs H has a 650 and I’ve spent some time on both the 1200 and 1250 versions. I reckon that the GSX1250FA (not technically a Bandit, he said pedantically) handles differently. Better differently. Why? I’m not sure. Mechanically they’re the same bike. The only differences are the front suspenders, the full engine fairing, headlight, instrumentation, radiator and cooling fans.

Prior to purchasing I expected to be shelling out some cash in the not-to-distant future for a suitably skilled professional to apply their charms to the stock suspension. I may still do that, but the ride is way better than I expected. Most of my riding to date has been with the lovely Mrs H ensconced on the back too. Watch this space.

I also expected to have to shell out some cash on a seat upgrade, and will do so. The stock seat is about a 7 out of 10. I suspect it will be a bit of an arse eater on longer trips. Apparently the seat has three height adjustments. I need to read the instruction manual to see which of those it’s currently set at and how to change that. I’d like a bit more legroom, please.

Handing is great. I would have been remiss not to have aimed my new steed at some twisties on the way home. It took a few sets to get used to a wheelbase longer and mass heavier than the Shiver’s. But once rolling and weaving, it’s a real smile inducer. The stock tyres are Bridgestone 021s. So far I’ve only ridden these on perfect summer roads (apart from a couple of patches of roadworks). I was never a fan of the BT020 and will reserve judgement on these 021s until I see how well they go in the wet and how well they wear.

Brakes are ABS. Again I had some pre-purchase misgivings, having previously ridden ABS-equipped bikes where I found the whole experience unsettling due to spongey vagueness. This Suzuki’s ABS feels just like normal brakes. I haven’t yet had to put their ABSness to the test. They stop the bike and feel believable and true. I may throw some braided lines on at some time but that’s not a priority.

The Givi luggage works well. It’s the Monokey system and is very easy to off and on. Capacity is good and we plan to make good use of that on our travels.

Mrs H said she had an enjoyable pillion experience but says that the FJR1300 affords a pillion more legroom and is easier to mount and dismount. Although after some experimentation she fared better using the rider’s pegs for this purpose, rather than the pillion’s.

This GSX1250FA is quiet as for both the rider and the pillion. And that’s with a Leo Vince SBK can fitted. I don’t plan to remove the baffle from that. With the stock can on you’d need to use the tach to see if the engine was running. Wind deflection from the nose and screen is excellent. I had lots of lovely clean air coursing past my XR1100.

Coming back home yesterday there were some big winds across the Manawatu and through the northern Horowhenua. Despite having a pillion and full luggage kit, these winds and the odd gust troubled the Suzuki and its rider not a jot. I was very impressed by that. I’ll report back at some stage after I’ve negotiated the Rimutaka Hill Road in a gale but based on yesterday’s performance, I’d have few reservations about attempting that.

Niggles? Instrumentation mainly. Suzuki has built this new integrated unit with an analogue tach and digital everything else. It’s clean and easy to read. But you can’t have the clock and odometer up at the same time. Nor a trip meter and clock or trip meter and odometer. That omission could be helped by having a “mode” button on the lefthand grip somewhere. And there’s no ambient air temperature – I really miss that. It’s nice though to have a fuel gauge once again (the Shiver hasn’t got one of those).

So after a few hundred km, I’m very pleased with my new ride.

If you’re looking for a big comfy road eater that’s voraciously smooth, agile and predictable, buy a Suzuki GSX1250FA.

White trash
16th January 2011, 17:41
I hear Dukie does suspension.

Trust you to go buy a friggen Suzuki the week after I start at a Yamahahaha/KTM dealership.

banditrider
16th January 2011, 17:41
Very nice! Gonna see it on the Southern Cross?

Edbear
16th January 2011, 17:46
I know you are anxiously awaiting my seal of approval, so I'll graciously ease your mind by telling you I approve your choice of motorcycle. :msn-wink:

Congratulations, and may you have many enjoyable rides and tours aboard! I loved the 1250S I rode and agree the engine is the closest thing to an electric motor I've ever experienced and the torque seems endless from idle to redline! I found the handling beautiful and secure although for me the ride was a wee bit hard on the bike I rode. I'm sure you've made the best choice and may have the answer to Maha's question about whether Suzuki make a touring bike.

Pussy
16th January 2011, 17:47
It's a NICE bike, Brett!

Ocean1
16th January 2011, 18:40
A KTM 990SMT may have done it, if KTM still had these as a current model

a Yamahahaha/KTM dealership.

Hello. Have KTM indeed stopped producing the 990 SMT/SMR? Or is this some local omission from the range?

Ocean1
16th January 2011, 18:42
this is my first Suzuki.

Never seen one mate, looks nice.

Look forward to a closer inspection.

onearmedbandit
16th January 2011, 18:58
Congratulations! Very sharp looking bike.

Hitcher
16th January 2011, 19:47
According to the owner's manual, the GSX1250FA comes with the rider's seat in the lowest of the three available positions. To adjust this it recommends enlisting the services of one's friendly neighbourhood Suzuki dealer.

One will check and see what words of wisdom, encouragement and good cheer can be found in the Internet in that regard.

Ocean1
16th January 2011, 19:51
According to the owner's manual...

Cheat.....

White trash
16th January 2011, 20:06
Hello. Have KTM indeed stopped producing the 990 SMT/SMR? Or is this some local omission from the range?

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure. I'll make a note to find out tomorrow, I find it hard to believe the Austrians would be dumb enough to discontinue such a stonking machine. That said, the local importer have cut right back on the range of road bikes available in NZ. Which is crying shame, I really want a crack on an RC8 R.

kiwifruit
16th January 2011, 20:11
Glad to see you are well

Ocean1
16th January 2011, 20:16
To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure. I'll make a note to find out tomorrow, I find it hard to believe the Austrians would be dumb enough to discontinue such a stonking machine. That said, the local importer have cut right back on the range of road bikes available in NZ. Which is crying shame, I really want a crack on an RC8 R.

Aye, I'd appreciate it. Not that it'd decide me either way if the price was right.

FJRider
16th January 2011, 20:21
According to the owner's manual, the GSX1250FA comes with the rider's seat in the lowest of the three available positions. To adjust this it recommends enlisting the services of one's friendly neighbourhood Suzuki dealer.

One will check and see what words of wisdom, encouragement and good cheer can be found in the Internet in that regard.

You read it ... ??? not just come online and start a thread about it ... :no:

A GOOD sheepskin will help a lot in the bum department ... and slightly assist with the seat hight too ... :yes:

gonzo_akl
16th January 2011, 20:24

When you find out could you post here, I had a go on my one without a great deal of success. I wanted to raise the seat for a planned long ride, it seems ok on my commute so i left it until morning of the ride. I needed more time to decipher the various combinations of rubber feet and getting the seat to fit back on the bike.

cheers

chanceyy
16th January 2011, 20:26
very nice Mr H .. love that color, and no other choice really but then I am prob slightly biased ;)

enjoyed your write up, look further to plenty of installments as you take your new bike on the adventures around NZ

congrats

kewwig
16th January 2011, 21:08
When you find out could you post here, I had a go on my one without a great deal of success. I wanted to raise the seat for a planned long ride, it seems ok on my commute so i left it until morning of the ride. I needed more time to decipher the various combinations of rubber feet and getting the seat to fit back on the bike.

cheers

From what I have seen, the seat is the same as the GSF1250, and there's a great step by step tutorial with photos at: http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=9058.0

I have done it several times and it's about a 15 minute job, most of which is unscrewing fasteners. The rubber buffers rotate through 180 degrees and you lift the bolts at the front of the seat to the next position and the plate at the rear of the front seat also goes to the next position. Once you've done it, it's a no brainer.

I managed to score a factory GSF1250 gel seat, which is a lot more solid and comfortable than the stock seat. Some owners report great success with fitting GSX600F seats, which are one piece and fit the Bandit 1250.

I have pics of the gel seat on my blog: http://kewwibike.blogspot.com

(go to Sept 2010 - "the gel seat"). The gel seat is actually harder than the stock one, as the discomfort is due to the stocker being too soft, compressing and then pressing on various bits of your arse and thighs. A comfy seat in the shop turns to a devil's platform after a 100ks as a result.

From Suzuki NZ the gels seats are $1100 (yes, $1100), but I got one through Ebay for $187 USD. I prefer to support local dealers, but not with this price differential!!!

Great choice of bike. There's a lot of helpful forums with loads of useful information

Hitcher
16th January 2011, 21:18
From Suzuki NZ the gels seats are $1100 (yes, $1100), but I got one through Ebay for $187 USD. I prefer to support local dealers, but not with this price differential!!!

Great choice of bike. There's a lot of helpful forums with loads of useful information

Good tip, thanks. And yes, I am discovering the wealth of information available online. I found the Banditalley seat instructions and that's my job for tomorrow night! I fully expect the stock seat to be an arse-eater, but not quite to the same extent as is the stock seat on a V-Strom.

BMWST?
16th January 2011, 21:18
re the seat Mr Hitcher Rotary Motor Trimmers in Newtown (hanson lane I think) do bike seats.I have no personal experience of their expertise but they did a really nice job on my car seats recently.Worth a call perhaps?

gonzo_akl
16th January 2011, 21:34
From what I have seen, the seat is the same as the GSF1250, and there's a great step by step tutorial with photos at: http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=9058.0..

Cheers, thanks for that.

Might investigate the gel seat idea, I don't find the seat too bad, I just feel that a bit more height would be welcome.

YellowDog
16th January 2011, 21:53
Congrats on the new ride.

Sweet looking piece of kit :yes:

Gremlin
17th January 2011, 02:02
Congratulations. Now are we going to see it on the TT or Southern Cross?

blackdog
17th January 2011, 05:32
re the seat Mr Hitcher Rotary Motor Trimmers in Newtown (hanson lane I think) do bike seats.I have no personal experience of their expertise but they did a really nice job on my car seats recently.Worth a call perhaps?

The owners name is Lance.

He's an upholstery magician.

Hitcher
17th January 2011, 07:34
Congratulations. Now are we going to see it on the TT or Southern Cross?

Frayed knot. I'm all out of leave and I don't know much...

Hitcher
17th January 2011, 07:35

Thanks. Are you trying to do me out of a ride to Tauranga or something?

sinned
17th January 2011, 18:16
Thanks. Are you trying to do me out of a ride to Tauranga or something?

I sent my seat (speed triple) to McDonald's by courier so missed a ride. I am with you on this Hitcher; why try someone else when McDonald Motor Trimmers have done 100s of seats to owner's satisfaction and, they ride motorcycles.

BTW: in your search for the perfect motorcycle did you consider the Triumph Sprint? I did and then choose a Zook - similar to yours although it revs a bit higher.

Hitcher
17th January 2011, 20:08
Tonight I followed the excellent online instructions at Banditalley and raised the GSX's seat by 20mm. That made a big difference in the legroom stakes.

Pussy
17th January 2011, 20:38
Tonight I followed the excellent online instructions at Banditalley and raised the GSX's seat by 20mm. That made a big difference in the legroom stakes.

Just get your legs shortened!

You're welcome! :)

BMWST?
17th January 2011, 21:00

let me guess...about 20 mm?:niceone:
By no means abort your trip to Tauraunga,but I merely offered a tip.I assure you the workmanship on my car was bloody good.I can not of course say that will transfer to reshaping a bike seat but i assure you the cover will be bloody good!

Gremlin
18th January 2011, 01:34
By no means abort your trip to Tauraunga,but I merely offered a tip.
I did an 8-10 hour round trip to Napier just to collect a boom microphone for my helmet... :weird:

Toaster
18th January 2011, 07:48
After eight years, five previous bikes and nearly 220,000km saddle time, I’ve just gone and done something a little unusual: I have procured a 2010 Suzuki GSX1250FA in the factory touring format. It’s Indy Candy Blue. This event is unusual because this is my first Suzuki....

So after a few hundred km, I’m very pleased with my new ride.

If you’re looking for a big comfy road eater that’s voraciously smooth, agile and predictable, buy a Suzuki GSX1250FA.

Great thread Hitcher - the sort of thing that this website needs more of. I will be interested to read the updates in due course. Enjoy your new motorcycle.

ynot slow
22nd January 2011, 18:56
Seat-will get better,I do 180km trip without stopping,bum getting numb,but not bad,pillions,well yep,have cut half the original foam(was hard not soft,usually is soft and feels hard when air is expelled)and added firm foam,was better for 100km,but whilst on holiday Mrs Ynot wasn't happy,the area by tailbone which is tapered and had 5/8ths of padding was rubbish,so am going to either try re shaping or maybe airhawk.Incidently speaking to a Suzuki dealer on holiday he thought gel seats were $350ish,wish I'd asked him to get one at that cost hehe.

Went to Para and bought some packing foam about 50mm and glued to a sheepskin,seems better,but increases height a little.

Lighting had tried to get H7 bulbs in plus 80 here,not much joy,then went to powerbulbs.co.uk and were here in 5 days,were about 25GBP delivered,can say a great thing to do,lights are good,also have found bulbs here for $70-80 a pair so upto individual.

Oh did valve clearances at 31,000km and was told perfect,didn't require doing,but piece of mind for me.

And beware it is easy to find bike sitting at 140km without realising it,honestly easy to do.Enjoy the ride.

Hitcher
23rd January 2011, 15:47
Yesterday, when it was fine, we had a bit of an excursion up SH1 (Otaki holiday weekend tailback, Gahh! Who would attempt that in a car?) with a plan of dining at the Herb Farm at Ashhurst. This place must have changed hands recently. The normally enticing menu has been replaced by buckets of dour blah so, when advised that there was at least a 45 minute wait for anything other than a flaccid panini (I understand that panini is an Italian word for ripoff sandwich), we hightailed it for Feilding.

Inner people taken care of, it was time to chart our next stop. So off we headed to Wanganui for coffee and gelato, via a favourite route through Halcombe and Marton.

That business done, it was time for a SH3-SH1 return to home.

Blue Suzuki acquitted itself superbly. Raising the seat has made a huge difference to comfort and to ergonomics, although I still think that I'll take it for a ride to Tauranga for some foam adjustments and a dinner of curly fries.

Big gusty winds abounded yesterday, everywhere except Levin. Blue Suzuki is untroubled by these and remained predictable as well as enjoyable throughout.

On the economy stakes, it is slightly thirstier than is Mrs H's GSF650SK6. I suspect that that is due to the differences in sprung and unsprung weight. It certainly sips a lot less than did an Aprilia SL750 Shiver.

Crasherfromwayback
23rd January 2011, 16:21

I would've thought the friendly dealer you purchased if off would've shown you how the seat is adjusted! Your local one would've been happy to have actually done it for you.

Gremlin
23rd January 2011, 16:25
Its obviously inferior to a BMW. I take the seat off, and swap positions of two rods under the seat to the alternate position. No tools, less than a minute, done. :D

Hitcher
23rd January 2011, 16:27
I would've thought the friendly dealer you purchased if off would've shown you how the seat is adjusted! Your local one would've been happy to have actually done it for you.

Bike was long gone from the selling dealer before I had concerns about the seat height. Thanks to the Internet, this was about a 10 minute job for somebody with even my limited mechanical skills. I will have my eye on my friendly local dealer's advice about braided brake lines, fitment thereof and perhaps other worthy accoutrements.

Gremlin
23rd January 2011, 16:52
That's the sneaky cost. Buying all the extras you need (ok, ok, want) and then the fun of fitting them, or paying the shop to fit them.

BMWST?
23rd January 2011, 20:04
That's the sneaky cost. Buying all the extras you need (ok, ok, want) and then the fun of fitting them, or paying the shop to fit them.

you adding MORE!?

Hitcher
23rd January 2011, 20:18
you adding MORE!?

GPS needs to go on, when I get a replacement mounting bracket.
Seat needs to go for a ride to Tauranga.
Braided brake lines would make the stoppers work better.
A long night ride will determine whether the headlight needs enhancing.
A suitably skilled professional may be able to sex up the suspension.

That should just about do it.

Gremlin
23rd January 2011, 20:36
you adding MORE!?
wot Hitch sed... GPS

My seat is fine, brakes are fine, headlight does need upgrading (waiting for stock from US supplier). Extra lights are already on order from US, and 3 packages have arrived already.

Who owns a dead stock bike? For the first time in my life, I'm even considering leaving the stock pipe on :eek:

Crisis management
26th January 2011, 18:15
Just a question, Hitcher (prompted by Gremlins ravings) did you consider a Beemer? Might have been a good fit for your type of riding.

Where is that pipe and slippers???

Hitcher
26th January 2011, 18:25
Just a question, Hitcher (prompted by Gremlins ravings) did you consider a Beemer? Might have been a good fit for your type of riding.

I'm a motorcyclist with a strong belief in value for money, also known as not paying silly money for bikes. If I had been in the business of forking out heaps, I may well have nabbed a KTM 990SMT, if those were still a current model in New Zealand (even though the tank's too small for a tourer).

Apart from its chain drive, lack of electric screen and a few other creature comforts, the GSX1250FA ST (or GSX1250SA as it's sold in some markets) competes favourably with the Kawasaki Concours and the FJR1300. Given that it's nearly $10,000 cheaper than both of those rides, and more than that for any BMW equivalents, buying the Suzuki was a bit of a no-brainer really.

I'm curious as to where Suzuki may go with this model when the L1 is released.

sinned
26th January 2011, 18:35
It is hard to go past Suzuki for value for money / bang for buck. And the reliability and quality is fine.

Hitcher
26th January 2011, 19:33
After having done a bit of surfing looking for "enhancements", I really struggle to see how some "online" businesses make a dollar online. For example, there are a few presumably reputable manufacturers of motorcylce braided brake lines who have web sites. Almost none of these have a schedule of models for which they make lines. Some only accept orders by phone. I'm not actually interested in purchasing online, as I don't have the facilities or the skill to do an installation myself, but I am interested in knowing a bit about the choices available and pricing information for when I go and have a chat with my friendly neighbourhood motorcycle dealer.

I would have expected to see loads of choices for a GSX12FAL0 or its GSF1250SL0 ABS sibling. So far Google has not been my friend.

Radiator guards? Different story, apart from the ludicrous delivery charges that businesses outside the UK seem intent to gouge. Limited choice though. Every man and dog make guards for the 1250 Bandit, but few so far for the GSX1250FA.

Smifffy
26th January 2011, 20:33
Every man and dog make guards for the 1250 Bandit, but few so far for the GSX1250FA.

So now we know what the FA stands for.

Crisis management
26th January 2011, 21:16
It is hard to go past Suzuki for value for money / bang for buck. And the reliability and quality is fine.

I agree about the value for money and reliability but the quality is where you see the trade off with value for money, I've always found Suzukis' adequate when new but the rapid deterioration in suspension shows up where the money has ben saved.

Me, I would rather pay some more for quality suspenders and brakes.

Hitcher
26th January 2011, 21:21
I agree about the value for money and reliability but the quality is where you see the trade off with value for money, I've always found Suzukis' adequate when new but the rapid deterioration in suspension shows up where the money has ben saved.

Me, I would rather pay some more for quality suspenders and brakes.

Indeed. But $2,500 for a suspension upgrade and $700 on brakes still makes the all-up investment significantly less than Bavarian competition, and would also create a vastly superior riding experience.

AllanB
26th January 2011, 21:28
Well done. Considering the set-up if the Suzuki in question I fail to see how they do it at that price. A bargin indeed.

For braided lines in NZ try: http://www.helperformance.co.nz/

Ocean1
26th January 2011, 21:31
the rapid deterioration in suspension shows up where the money has ben saved.

It does. And not. Believe it or not it takes just as much to make shit components as it does to make those fit for long term purpose.

In fact with modern machining centres it costs more to make shit, because you need a whole extra process to weed out the crap.

Poor quality is rarely about long term cost cutting, it's just simple, uncomplicated, short sighted incompetence.

Gremlin
26th January 2011, 21:33
Radiator guards? Different story, apart from the ludicrous delivery charges that businesses outside the UK seem intent to gouge. Limited choice though.
No shortage of goodies for the GS :sweatdrop My 4th package is arriving, my 5th has been ordered and I'm eyeing up my 6th... its been less than a month. So far, the US and Germany seem to get here within 7 days... rather addictive.

Being at a slightly younger point in my life, and wanting to do all, the tourers wouldn't have faired so well exploring the forests I find myself in... The seat is incredible after the KTM, and a 33L+ fuel tank... well... a dream come true.

Hitch, re guards, I've made several from mesh available from Repco (and thats the expensive option, at $50 ish for a sheet). The BMW, I bought a guard (as I was buying other stuff anyway).

Hitcher
26th January 2011, 21:38
For braided lines in NZ try: http://www.helperformance.co.nz/

I rest my case. That's a classic example of the crap web sites I referred to earlier. No catalogue, no list of bikes and matched components, no online purchasing. That company may do braided lines for motorcycles but you'd need to ring them up to find that out. Or contact one of their recommended distributors, who they don't list.

Crisis management
26th January 2011, 21:57
Just so this doesn't deteriorate into a shit fight, I was interested in your reasoning Hitch, as you have had a good variety of bikes over the last few years and I'm interested in your selection of this bike over others available rather than trying to say one is better than others.

Gremlin
26th January 2011, 22:47
For each person, hopefully one is better than others... Each person's requirements differ, also based on experience (or someone elses). eg, he loved the Shiver, we were all interested, but the aftersales support was lacking.

If he's anything like me, the purchase of a bike is just the beginning, with more margin available to the dealer in parts/consumables/servicing. Some do 5000km (or less) a year. When you do 20k and upwards services come around slightly more regularly (I had two within a month at one point) :D

ynot slow
30th January 2011, 09:02
Ask and ye shall recieve rad guard www.banditmaniashop.co.uk. About $100 landed,says 07-10 models,some serious dollars for brake lines due to abs system,also for upgrade bulbs try www.powerbulbs.com

banditrider
30th January 2011, 09:04
Ask and ye shell recieve rad guard http://www.banditmaniashop.co.uk/stainless-cooler-cover-for-the-bandit-1250-07-10-781-p.asp.
About $100 landed,also for upgrade bulbs try [url]www.powerplus.co.uk.

Linky no work: try this: http://www.banditmaniashop.co.uk/stainless-cooler-cover-for-the-bandit-1250-07-10-781-p.asp

ynot slow
30th January 2011, 12:09
Linky no work: try this: http://www.banditmaniashop.co.uk/stainless-cooler-cover-for-the-bandit-1250-07-10-781-p.asp

Remedied that,with edit button lol.

Hitcher
30th January 2011, 17:56
Radiator guard coming from www.radguard.com.au

GPS mounting bracket coming from www.ramsolutions.co.nz

Braided lines appear to be somewhat more complex to source. I may have to get a bespoke set.

Pussy
30th January 2011, 18:15
The Radguard radiator guards are worth the coin, Brett! Paul at Radguard is VERY helpful, as you've probably already found out!

Does the ABS system require anything out of the ordinary to bleed? Some ABS cars can be a bastard to work on, brake-wise

banditrider
30th January 2011, 18:17
Yep, Radguard's are good. Even sent me some chain lube when I bought my one for the Connie...

Hitcher
30th January 2011, 18:24
My next trick will be figuring out how to get the fairing off, or I may politely impinge on a mechanic while they're doing the 6,000km service (almost halfway there).

Big blue bike got its first proper wash tonight.

gonzo_akl
30th January 2011, 18:25
I made the seat adjustments today, 10 minute job, then went for a quick loop out through Maraetai.

Hitcher
30th January 2011, 18:30
My seat's bleeding arse days are numbered. It's getting ridden to Tauranga on Friday.

gonzo_akl
30th January 2011, 18:41
Let me know how that goes, I might need to do the same.

The fairing is pretty easy to remove, there are no real tricks to it. The screws you can see, there are a couple of different sizes so keep track of where they came from. From memory, there is also one inside the fairing that connects to a internal piece of plastic that I think directs airflow. This is not a screw but one of those push in clips.

You actually have to remove the left hand fairing to top up the radiator.

Hitcher
30th January 2011, 19:22
You actually have to remove the left hand fairing to top up the radiator.

I like the really cute sight gauge for radiator coolant.

The clip thingo that clips the two fairing halves together at the bottom looks a bit tricky -- something that requires a bit more precision to undo or to do up than afforded by a set of vice grips and a hammer.

gonzo_akl
30th January 2011, 19:35
The clip thingo that clips the two fairing halves together at the bottom looks a bit tricky -- something that requires a bit more precision to undo or to do up than afforded by a set of vice grips and a hammer.

I just pop it out with a screwdriver, you just push it back into place with your thumb. Too Easy.

Hitcher
30th January 2011, 19:49
Too Easy.

Mr Suzuki thinks of many things. The gearbox is starting to bed in nicely. No complaints on that score. Not a false neutral in sight so far.

davebullet
30th January 2011, 20:28
Radguard is a good choice. I bought one for the Triple. Makes a much better picture of the awful 2 piece Triumph put on (covers both oil and water coolers in one sturdy but light guard):

Mully
31st January 2011, 19:53
Nice bike, Hitcher.

Any particular reason you didn't look at the 1050 Triumph range? Or did you, and simply not mention it?

If you sampled and decided against, I'd be interested to know why?

Hitcher
31st January 2011, 20:01
Any particular reason you didn't look at the 1050 Triumph range? Or did you, and simply not mention it?

If you sampled and decided against, I'd be interested to know why?

The GSX1250FA is way better value for a starter. The included Givi hard luggage was hard to go past. Suzuki parts are largely ubiquitous and competent service people easy to find. After market accessories for the Suzuki are many and varied, again at reasonable prices. I understand that Triumph New Zealand Ltd does a better job with Triumphs than it does with Aprilias but I have no idea why that should be so. To hear me say that people would think that I may be bitter and scarred. Regrettably, exposure to petulant childish venality does that to me.

Mully
31st January 2011, 20:04
I understand that Triumph New Zealand Ltd does a better job with Triumphs than it does with Aprilias but I have no idea why that should be so.

Whoops. Forgot who did Triumph in NZ.

davebullet
31st January 2011, 20:11
Agreed. Triumph parts are ridiculously priced for what they are. Back to your regular Suzuki programming.

Toaster
14th February 2011, 11:01
Niggles? Instrumentation mainly. Suzuki has built this new integrated unit with an analogue tach and digital everything else. It’s clean and easy to read. But you can’t have the clock and odometer up at the same time. Nor a trip meter and clock or trip meter and odometer. That omission could be helped by having a “mode” button on the lefthand grip somewhere. And there’s no ambient air temperature – I really miss that. It’s nice though to have a fuel gauge once again (the Shiver hasn’t got one of those).

I gather Triumph made a similar "fault" for want of a better word on the new Sprint GT. I am going to ride one today and see how it fares.

The pain and cramping I get in my hips is getting more commonplace as time progresses. As such I am now contemplating looking for something more ergonomic and practical.

The Suzuki appears on paper to be quite a good bike. It will be interesting to compare the two if I can find one like yours to test ride as well.

Hitcher
14th February 2011, 17:44
New Suzuki now has GPS and a tank protector fitted.

kewwig
14th February 2011, 20:05
......I would have expected to see loads of choices for a GSX12FAL0 or its GSF1250SL0 ABS sibling. So far Google has not been my friend....

Try www.holeshot.com and look for Galfer braided lines. The ABS models have a different line set to the standard model and they aren't cheap. I assume the GSX is the same as the GSF, but it would pay to check

Hitcher
14th February 2011, 20:23
Try www.holeshot.com and look for Galfer braided lines. The ABS models have a different line set to the standard model and they aren't cheap. I assume the GSX is the same as the GSF, but it would pay to check

Nice spotting, thanks. That price isn't too bad. Presumably those bits will meet New Zealand's requisite compliance standards?

Gremlin
15th February 2011, 03:39
Presumably those bits will meet New Zealand's requisite compliance standards?
Hard question... the regs change so often, its a crap shoot. Have some numbers, as long as they look high quality and stop the bike good, you shouldn't have problems.

Hitcher
15th February 2011, 18:16
Does anybody know how to pop the plastic connector dome thingies that link the two fairing panels at the bottom front. They look a bit different to anything I've seen before and I was wondering if there was some sort of special tool required to to the popping open bit? Photos are always good...

Madness
15th February 2011, 18:25
Alert (http://www.alertmotorsport.com/) are based in Auckland and distribute HEL brake lines. Could be another option?.

There's loads of stuff on here about compliance to current standards, Imdying seems to be somewhat of an expert on brakes, fwiw. My understanding of what seems to be the general consensus is that so long as the end fittings of the hoses don't comprise of a threaded component of any type they're all good. The aftermarket stuff is all crimped so no worries there.

paturoa
15th February 2011, 18:28
I suspect they are the same as those on my wee.

If you look closely there is an internal round piece on the dome. Get a pen / or something like that and push the pin in further. Then the whole thing releases.

Like this ? Just push the central pin in past flush.

Hitcher
15th February 2011, 18:58
Like this ? Just push the central pin in past flush.

Thanks! Tomorrow night's job, if it's not too windy. I'd like to get the Radguard on.

sugilite
15th February 2011, 19:46
In my experience, it is more often standard brake pads that are the limiting factor in braking performance, rather than the lines themselves...just my 10 cents worth.

sinned
15th February 2011, 19:55
Is there an issue with the brakes on this bike that needs to be fixed for your riding style? Will braided lines make any difference given the bike has been set up with ABS?

Hitcher
15th February 2011, 21:08
Is there an issue with the brakes on this bike that needs to be fixed for your riding style? Will braided lines make any difference given the bike has been set up with ABS?

ABS is there for the times when all of the picks have to be extended with some urgency. Extreme grip can be exerted on the lever and assorted gizmos stop the wheels from locking up. This is a feature I plan to minimise my familiarity with.

For the other 95% of enhanced slowing events, I like a positive feeling of connectedness between the lever and the calipers. The Suzuki isn't too bad in that regard but I suspect braided lines and better pads will help improve things. Braided lines should also last longer than the standard kit.

Hitcher
17th February 2011, 20:48
I figured out how to pop the plastic clippie fairing things. Blue Suzuki now has a Radguard fitted.

I then took it out for a ride to celebrate and to see if anything would fall off.

After 3,550km things are starting to smooth out quite nicely. The seat still needs a ride to Tauranga though.

Smifffy
18th February 2011, 21:09
ABS is there for the times when all of the picks have to be extended with some urgency. Extreme grip can be exerted on the lever and assorted gizmos stop the wheels from locking up. This is a feature I plan to minimise my familiarity with.

For the other 95% of enhanced slowing events, I like a positive feeling of connectedness between the lever and the calipers. The Suzuki isn't too bad in that regard but I suspect braided lines and better pads will help improve things. Braided lines should also last longer than the standard kit.

...and they are blingtastic!

ynot slow
20th February 2011, 08:39
After 3,550km things are starting to smooth out quite nicely. The seat still needs a ride to Tauranga though.

Rad guard is good value,lost count of how many pings of stones hitting radiator I've heard since mine was fitted.

Re seat,don't rule out a good upholsterer in Normanby(5km from Hawera for those unfamiliar),quoted me $200-250 for total resculpture of both bandit seats.He is into car and general jobs,and will foam seat,ask you to ride and add more foam if needed,then cover once the seat is spot on for client.

Dave(owner)has an awesome Lincoln work vehicle imported hotrod chassis he has done up for mobile advertising which is seen at most hotrod meets,the upholstery is his design and shows his craftmanship.

Shaun
27th February 2011, 12:08
Rad guard is good value,lost count of how many pings of stones hitting radiator I've heard since mine was fitted.

Re seat,don't rule out a good upholsterer in Normanby(5km from Hawera for those unfamiliar),quoted me $200-250 for total resculpture of both bandit seats.He is into car and general jobs,and will foam seat,ask you to ride and add more foam if needed,then cover once the seat is spot on for client.

Dave(owner)has an awesome Lincoln work vehicle imported hotrod chassis he has done up for mobile advertising which is seen at most hotrod meets,the upholstery is his design and shows his craftmanship.

Dave would always be my first choice for this kind of work, and he is a true petrol head