PDA

View Full Version : Government gets tough...

blackdog
17th January 2011, 06:38
...on unpaid fines.

Sounds like a tui ad.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10700136

Scuba_Steve
17th January 2011, 07:11
so how are they going to send companies & overseas people to jail or take their licences? And I know a lot of people with these large fines are there in part for not having a licence.

Oh well if this does go through looks like I could be cruising round licence free as I refuse to pay scams.

kinger
17th January 2011, 20:37
Sounds fair to me! Even better if they seize vehicles and crush if not paid, might get a few bass pumping scoobies off my bloody road!

Mully
17th January 2011, 20:46
So you don't pay your tickets for not having a licence, they, umm, take your licence.

Nice idea - be interested to see if they actually follow through.

I don't think you can keep increasing the jail population though - maybe Home Detention would be the go.

Genestho
17th January 2011, 21:04
So you don't pay your tickets for not having a licence, they, umm, take your licence.

Nice idea - be interested to see if they actually follow through.

I don't think you can keep increasing the jail population though - maybe Home Detention would be the go.

There's got to be a better way though Shirley. Clairly they primarily want the debts repaid.

Why can't they set up a fine reparation database - a similar system as done for child maintenance payments through IRD?

Stop allowing voluntary payments, take a % out of the pay packet based on an earnings scale before it hits the pocket!?:weird:

Surely any other way wouldn't be as cost effective..too simple?

Mully
17th January 2011, 21:20
There's got to be a better way though Shirley. Clairly they want the debts repaid.

Why can't they set up a fine reparation database - a similar system as done for child maintenance payments through IRD?

Stop allowing voluntary payments, take a % out of the pay packet based on an earnings scale before it hits the pocket!?:weird:

Surely any other way wouldn't be as cost effective..too simple?

Don't call me Shirley.

How many of those people have jobs, though?

I like the idea of taking the licence. Then forbidding to drive. Then crushing the car. Then Home detention/PD to work it off.

We have enough of a prison population IMHO

Genestho
17th January 2011, 21:22
Don't call me Shirley.

How many of those people have jobs, though?

I like the idea of taking the licence. Then forbidding to drive. Then crushing the car. Then Home detention/PD to work it off.

We have enough of a prison population IMHO

LOL!! :p
I agree with you on the prison population et al comments - although I thought in part some of this was already available to work off fines.
Crushing cars? Yeah, if they're dungers, auction the rest though, seems such a waste!! Although they'd probably get brought back anyway.

Thanks to our friend Google...Looks like there is a way to order compulsary payments on benefits and wages..

EDIT: "The Court can take money directly from your wages or benefit (attachment order), or bank account (deduction notice) for the payment of overdue fines. Your employer, Work and Income or bank is legally obliged to make these deductions. Only the Court can stop these."

Wonder how they'll go about netting people like the 1.8 million dollar guy in Aus.

rastuscat
20th January 2011, 11:20
Harumph.

Fines are supposed to be a deterrent. They work for the people who are likely to pay them.

Those folks who don't give a big rats **se aren't deterred by fines. For those special individuals, there needs to be an alternative punitive regime, featuring something that actually deters them.

Maybe the licence ban will work, but lets face it, lots get disqualified and drive anyway. Take the vehicle away, but that means that some innocent person will have their car taken away coz they loaned it to their disqualified mate.

Jail? Too much for someone who doesn't pay one fine, but to anyone with a grand or two they don't pay, a week in the pokey might work.

Point is, the deterrent needs to match the circumstances of the individual, and fines aren't very good at that.

bogan
20th January 2011, 11:43
Bring back public stocks in the town square? Maybe modern it up a bit and just go with a glass room instead.

steve_t
20th January 2011, 11:55
Bring back public stocks in the town square? Maybe modern it up a bit and just go with a glass room instead.

How do you throw rotting tomatoes and lettuces at someone in a glass room? :bleh:

bogan
20th January 2011, 11:57
How do you throw rotting tomatoes and lettuces at someone in a glass room? :bleh:

modern it up some more, few spud gun barrel sized holes in the walls should do the trick :msn-wink:

Owl
20th January 2011, 12:05
Point is, the deterrent needs to match the circumstances of the individual, and fines aren't very good at that.

Very true!

While I pay my fines, they don't honestly work as a deterrent, as I can afford them. Demerits on the other hand work very well for me and I tend to pull my head in. The prospect of losing my licence................I have no intention of going there!:no:

rwh
20th January 2011, 12:08
Sounds fair to me! Even better if they seize vehicles and crush if not paid, might get a few bass pumping scoobies off my bloody road!

Definitely not a fan of crushing. It might belong to someone else; it might be security for a loan (the lender loses); and it's simply a waste of a vehicle.

Possibly too invisible - you don't notice the loss of money so much if you never had it.

Wonder how they'll go about netting people like the 1.8 million dollar guy in Aus.

Need to set up an agreement similar to extradition treaties, so the Aussie tax folks can do the deduction on behalf (or just extradite him).

Harumph.

Fines are supposed to be a deterrent. They work for the people who are likely to pay them.

Those folks who don't give a big rats **se aren't deterred by fines. For those special individuals, there needs to be an alternative punitive regime, featuring something that actually deters them.

Maybe the licence ban will work, but lets face it, lots get disqualified and drive anyway. Take the vehicle away, but that means that some innocent person will have their car taken away coz they loaned it to their disqualified mate.

Jail? Too much for someone who doesn't pay one fine, but to anyone with a grand or two they don't pay, a week in the pokey might work.

Agree with all of that I think. I like the idea of the very short jail terms, particularly for newbie crims. With long terms it just seems to become a way of life.

Do you consider the inability to hit them with rotten tomatoes to be a good or a bad thing? :rofl:

Richard

rwh
20th January 2011, 12:12
Definitely not a fan of crushing. ... it might be security for a loan (the lender loses)

Actually maybe that's not such a bad thing. If the lender is threatened, they can just call in the loan (reposess the car) before they lose it - get the idiots off the road even sooner. Or the lenders might just be more reluctant to lend to risky candidates in the first place.

Richard

FJRider
20th January 2011, 13:49
Actually maybe that's not such a bad thing. If the lender is threatened, they can just call in the loan (reposess the car) before they lose it - get the idiots off the road even sooner. Or the lenders might just be more reluctant to lend to risky candidates in the first place.

Richard

The lenders don't give a shit about the cars ... if the car is crushed ... the repayments expected/due on it will still continue.

The borrowers credit rating may mean higher interest rates on the next loan ...

awa355
20th January 2011, 14:12
The lenders don't give a shit about the cars ... if the car is crushed ... the repayments expected/due on it will still continue.

The borrowers credit rating may mean higher interest rates on the next loan ...

If the defaulter gets his car crushed he will still have to front up with the money to the lender. Then so be it. Most defaulters wont be able to dismiss a finance co demands as they seem to do with fines.

When I got my last fine ( $12.00 for 51mph with a pillion ) my old man dragged me up to the courthouse and watched as I paid the ticket. Told me if I ever got another ticket, the bike ( new XS2 ) would be locked away in his workshop until I'd learnt to appreciate the privilege of having a vehicle. In those days my father was someone I listened to , or else.

And, if they crushed bikes, wonder what style of bikes would get crushed the most?

FJRider
20th January 2011, 14:19
If the defaulter gets his car crushed he will still have to front up with the money to the lender. Then so be it. Most defaulters wont be able to dismiss a finance co demands as they seem to do with fines.

And, if they crushed bikes, wonder what style of bikes would get crushed the most?

They will because most dont have much (if any) money ... they just dig themselves into a deeper and deeper hole ...

Cruisers ... ??? :innocent:

Max Preload
20th January 2011, 16:20
When I got my last fine ( $12.00 for 51mph with a pillion ) my old man dragged me up to the courthouse and watched as I paid the ticket. Told me if I ever got another ticket, the bike ( new XS2 ) would be locked away in his workshop until I'd learnt to appreciate the privilege of having a vehicle. In those days my father was someone I listened to , or else.I bet he learned his lesson when you put him in one of those really bad retirement homes where they beat the inmates... I mean, the elderly.

awa355
20th January 2011, 17:00
I bet he learned his lesson when you put him in one of those really bad retirement homes where they beat the inmates... I mean, the elderly.

Nah, when he went into the rest home I got to use his car for about 4 months. Just as well he never caught me at half the things I got upto.

awa355
21st January 2011, 07:52
Harumph.

When someone goes to jail for not paying his fines, they get the fines wiped anyway. We had a guy come in owing $11,000 in fines. He got three weeks pokey time and his fines got wiped. The justice systems see's doing time and still having to pay the fines as being punished twice. Believe me, 3 weeks inside is a hellva lot easier to do than finding/earning 11 grand in that time.

I almost forgot, because his sentence was under 2 yrs, he got an automatic release date of half his sentence.

Max Preload
21st January 2011, 21:30
When someone goes to jail for not paying his fines, they get the fines wiped anyway. We had a guy come in owing $11,000 in fines. He got three weeks pokey time and his fines got wiped. The justice systems see's doing time and still having to pay the fines as being punished twice. Believe me, 3 weeks inside is a hellva lot easier to do than finding/earning 11 grand in that time.

I almost forgot, because his sentence was under 2 yrs, he got an automatic release date of half his sentence.10 days... $11k... he'd have to earn $13k to pay that $11k... $53/h for sitting on his arse playing cards, basketball, watching Sky or sleeping.

Where do I fucking sign up? :niceone: