PDA

View Full Version : How to pick up a fallen motorbike

XP@
18th June 2005, 11:32
At some time during your riding career, you will find yourself stood next to a bike on the floor.
It is not about how strong you are, but what technique you use

This is how to do it
http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/pickup.html

Blackbird
18th June 2005, 12:45
I've heard about this woman before, teaching macho bikers how to pick up Harleys! Hope that I won't need to pick up the 'bird again but will try this way if I need to as I certainly couldn't get it up facing forward!

Cheers

Geoff :ride:

Ixion
18th June 2005, 12:46
I've heard about this woman before, teaching macho bikers how to pick up Harleys! Hope that I won't need to pick up the 'bird again but will try this way if I need to as I certainly couldn't get it up facing forward!

Cheers

Geoff :ride:
Ahem , um, uh, try your doctor. I believe they have tablets for this now :devil2:

thehollowmen
18th June 2005, 12:58
the motoman video shows lil tiny girls, picking up huge cruisers with this method.
It works really well. I've seen someone do this to a mini too to roll it onto its side.

Blackbird
18th June 2005, 13:33
Ahem , um, uh, try your doctor. I believe they have tablets for this now :devil2:

It's you that needs help with jokes like that, not me :yes:

Gixxer 4 ever
18th June 2005, 13:48
Adrenalin usual does it. :yes:
To pick the bike up :nono: not the other problem the bird man has :rofl:

Suney
18th June 2005, 13:55
Is it possible to push to far and it ends up falling on the other side :rofl:

Ixion
18th June 2005, 14:01

YES ! And it's NOT funny ! (Well, it is in hindsight. But it wasn't at the time). Surprising what you can do with adrenalin. And the worst of it was it got more damaged when it fell over on the far side when I was picking it up than it did when it fell over in the first place!.

Aitch
18th June 2005, 20:35
so obvious when you see it done like that...D'OH!
Now I just hope I never need to do it..... :

Coyote
18th June 2005, 20:44
Shit, I must remember that (all those at the VMCC round 1 will agree I should)

Jackrat
19th June 2005, 15:42

Oh yeah,I dropped one of my brothers full dress Harleys in the garage one day an when I picked it up I gave it a bit much an ended up dropping it over the other way.It took me with it an when my Bro' walked into the garage I was still lying over the bike.
Mate if you want embarassing try that. :whistle: :Oops: :Oops:

RiderInBlack
19th June 2005, 18:54
Learnt to pick "Roxanne" with my back against her, one hand on the handle bar and the other on the fram behind the seat, using my legs to do the lifting. So much easier that way:Punk: You need two to right her (weighing in at 230Kg dry) if you try doing it facing her:no: Wish I had learnt to do this with my other bikes:whistle: Should be in the Road Code.

Big Dog
19th June 2005, 22:47
Oh yeah,I dropped one of my brothers full dress Harleys in the garage one day an when I picked it up I gave it a bit much an ended up dropping it over the other way.It took me with it an when my Bro' walked into the garage I was still lying over the bike.
Mate if you want embarassing try that. :whistle: :Oops: :Oops:
Oh well at least the scratches and dents would have have matched on both sides giving that symetrical and custom look. :weird:

idb
19th June 2005, 23:41
At some time during your riding career, you will find yourself stood next to a bike on the floor.
It is not about how strong you are, but what technique you use

This is how to do it
http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/pickup.html
That's brilliant - cheers XP!

Coldkiwi
20th June 2005, 12:36
cheers XP! useful link. Sometimes adrenaline helps... but other times the despair and pain that have resulted from it being on the ground in the first place makes it very hard work!

FlyingDutchMan
21st June 2005, 12:03
I'll have to try that if there is a next time... I've always just picked the bike up with both hands on the handle bars and lifting/pulling the right handle bar and pushing the left (if its down on the right side). Its never seemed particularly difficult.

Lou Girardin
21st June 2005, 17:02
I've picked up a Harley Ultra (340 kg's) but used the old method. In gear, bars on full lock towards you, bend at the knees and strain.
Sure made the Bandit feel light.

Jackrat
25th June 2005, 09:32
Oh well at least the scratches and dents would have have matched on both sides giving that symetrical and custom look. :weird:
Dang I should of thought of that at the time,little Bro' was not impressed. :whistle:

Pixie
25th June 2005, 10:27
The weight of the bike isn't as important as the configuration of the bike.When a bike is on it's side it can be compared to a lever,with the wheels as the fulcrum and the distance of the C of G to the wheels and the distance of the handlebars to the wheels being the leverage ratio.So a bike like a harley with high bars and low C of G,weighing 340 kg can be easier to pick up than an R1 with a higher C of G and clippons, but only weighing 180 kg.

PS Take care when choosing a title for a new thread.I saw the title of this thread "How to pick up a fallen..."on the main page and thought it was about an entirely different subject.Now I'm disappointed. :rofl:

Bonez
25th June 2005, 10:55
Nice link. Can be difficult when you have one leg pinned under a 500 plus pound bike with the mutt "helping" by trying to lick ya to death. :rofl:

zeRax
28th June 2005, 22:31
:( if only ewan had learnt this, i certainly wouldnt like picking those beemers up :\ !

skidz
29th June 2005, 09:13
It's always alot easier when you arn't too tall. I seem to be able to get bikes upright easier than others.

enigma51
29th June 2005, 09:25
I've picked up a Harley Ultra (340 kg's) but used the old method. In gear, bars on full lock towards you, bend at the knees and strain.
Sure made the Bandit feel light.

Fuck me 340kg's !!!!!! :weird:

enigma51
29th June 2005, 09:27
[QUOTE=Pixie]The weight of the bike isn't as important as the configuration of the bike.When a bike is on it's side it can be compared to a lever,with the wheels as the fulcrum and the distance of the C of G to the wheels and the distance of the handlebars to the wheels being the leverage ratio.So a bike like a harley with high bars and low C of G,weighing 340 kg can be easier to pick up than an R1 with a higher C of G and clippons, but only weighing 180 kg.[QUOTE]

You lost me at C

XP@
29th June 2005, 10:15
The weight of the bike isn't as important as the configuration of the bike.When a bike is on it's side it can be compared to a lever,with the wheels as the fulcrum and the distance of the C of G to the wheels and the distance of the handlebars to the wheels being the leverage ratio.So a bike like a harley with high bars and low C of G,weighing 340 kg can be easier to pick up than an R1 with a higher C of G and clippons, but only weighing 180 kg.

You lost me at C
Try this...
With your left hand push down on the left hand side of your keyboard. With your right hand, lift up the right hand side of the keyboard. EASY!
Now Move your left hand to the right hand side of the keyboard and try and pick up the right hand side. HARD!

enigma51
29th June 2005, 10:33
Try this...
With your left hand push down on the left hand side of your keyboard. With your right hand, lift up the right hand side of the keyboard. EASY!
Now Move your left hand to the right hand side of the keyboard and try and pick up the right hand side. HARD!
Where should I put my feet?

Motu
29th June 2005, 11:04
That method didn't help me pick up my XLV750 in the middle of nowhere,it was on a rise and the tank and seat were on the ground - I did a little walk about and found a 2 metre half round that I used under the steering head...sometimes you just gotta be resoursefull.

XP@
29th June 2005, 12:24
That method didn't help me pick up my XLV750 in the middle of nowhere,it was on a rise and the tank and seat were on the ground - I did a little walk about and found a 2 metre half round that I used under the steering head...sometimes you just gotta be resoursefull.
Hmmm, have had similar probs too, especially if the wheels are higher than the tank. then i find the best way is to pull the front wheel round until the position is better. If you are on dirt then there ain't usually much more damage.

myvice
16th July 2005, 20:53
Dont drop the bloody things!

froggyfrenchman
9th August 2005, 17:31
i hate picking bikes up, not coz its hard... but coz u know u fuckd it up

mstriumph
9th August 2005, 17:34
would be hard ...... i don't usually frequent the sort of bars they hang out in :innocent:
[boom boom]

stunz
9th August 2005, 22:13
...sometimes you just gotta be resoursefull.
agreed. the main thing is not too freak out and lean over and try to wrench the bike up off the ground. youll give yerself a hernia. (yes, experience is a great tutor. :whistle: no hernia, just a mean-as groin strain :rofl: ) give yourself a mo to think before deciding how to get it back up again. you've got time to comtemplate...i mean, you have stopped right?...

username
20th August 2005, 15:39
All of this advise is great. Unless of course you own a full dress 1800 goldwing. In which case the method is as follows.
Yell at the top of your lungs "ohhhh SHIIIIIIT" As it tumbles on its side.
Followed by a quick phone call to a local towie to hoist it back on its wheels using the pannier rails as a lifting point.
Those things are really really heavy.

XP@
20th August 2005, 22:32
All of this advise is great. Unless of course you own a full dress 1800 goldwing. In which case the method is as follows.
Yell at the top of your lungs "ohhhh SHIIIIIIT" As it tumbles on its side.
Followed by a quick phone call to a local towie to hoist it back on its wheels using the pannier rails as a lifting point.
Those things are really really heavy.

I thought a gold wing was the motorcycle equivalent of a weeble...

Or there is enough space to store a jack