PDA

View Full Version : Sourcing fuel cap seal material

ADVGD
18th January 2011, 14:24
The prerun saw my fuel cap seal unknowingly left behind at one of the fuel stops along the way, it is an oversized Acerbis cap so none in NZ but I have 2 more ordered from the US, but, don't think they'll arrive in time for the DB1K. After no joy at automotive stores I have now been into Para Rubber 3 times each time buying a different grade of rubber. Each time I specifically asked for a rubber able to be used as a petrol fuel cap seal and was sold a product that swells and pops out of the cap. On the return trips I saw a different salesperson each time who said "oh they didn't sell you that product did they, that's all wrong, that won't do, that will just swell up" ...No kidding :weird:

So, can anyone advise of a store and/or product that can be used as a petrol cap seal without swelling or breaking down, for at least the DB1K anyway

Cheers :niceone:

clint640
18th January 2011, 14:44
Viton rubber is what you need, sorry no idea where you might get that in Chch, try an engineering supply type place like Blackwoods.

Cheers
Clint

FJRider
18th January 2011, 14:47
Gas and Engineering supplies type places

joshkies
18th January 2011, 15:23
there is a place in sydenham that has the stuff. 3 months on and mine is still sealing well. will find out the place asap and let you know. they cut it while you wait

dino3310
18th January 2011, 15:24
there is a place in sydenham that has the stuff. 3 months on and mine is still sealing well. will find out the place asap and let you know. they cut it while you wait

give this man a beer:niceone:

That looks like fun
18th January 2011, 15:50
Christchurch Gasket Company
81 Magdala Place

Middleton

Christchurch City

Canterbury 8024
Nitrile Rubber :niceone: Possibly other Gasket suppliers in that town that will be able to supply. As a bonus Nitrile is Orange so the KTM boys will bar up when they see ya :msn-wink: Plus they will be able to cut it for you

ADVGD
18th January 2011, 15:58
Brilliant, thanks guys :msn-wink:

joshkies
18th January 2011, 16:06
Shuk Engineering Distributors Ltd
110 Wordsworth Street
(03) 377 2572

let us know how you get on

joshkies
18th January 2011, 16:20
P S i took in my old rubber and they just cut round it made it abit easier

whatastoner
18th January 2011, 20:47
Sorry, but I think the spare ones I have are regular Acerbis caps.
The only oversize cap is on my rear tank.
Good luck with your search, you should be alright.

Mark

ADVGD
19th January 2011, 09:38
All sorted thanks guys, couldn't make it through the traffic before close time last night so I shot down to Shuk Engineering this morning, super friendly team, cut up a nice snug fitting Viton seal on the spot and only charged $10.

Cheers to all for the info :niceone:

dino3310
19th January 2011, 11:11
:niceone: Did you buy 2

ADVGD
19th January 2011, 12:19
:niceone: Did you buy 2

Just bought the 1, I thought if I bought 2 on top of the other 2 I have on order from the US that will leave me with 4 seals and 1 fuel cap, that maybe bordering on an obsessive compulsive disorder :crazy:

Just got to make sure I keep an eye on it at each of the fuel stops :yes:

joshkies
19th January 2011, 14:44
yer real helpful team there glad you got it sorted. might meet you friday night at the bbq

almoto
19th January 2011, 17:45
Oldschool/Newschool...

1. Next time never leave home without a couple of tubes of Superglue in your bag (ones you open one tube it doesnt seal anymore properly and next time you want to use it it is gone/fuked/glued...where/whatever you kept it in...UP...hence 2 or 3 tubes).

2. Superglue..ones dry (needs overnight drying) IS petrolproof! (Scrub cutter tank crack etc.)

3. You then can use a piece of Bike Tube (!) (sparetube) to cut/glue the MF where you need it and let the basderd dry properly (overnight).

Use glue over the whole surface of glued area.

Once dry...the rubber cant swell anymore 'much' (has got nowhere to go since it FIXED/GLUED IN PLACE) and 'you are sorted'.

Sounds like an emergency repair?
Done some cheap Alu waterbottles (seals) from the supermarket ones like that and used them as spare fuel containers...one year later...still ok (might need redoing every once in a while (piece of piss) ...of course NOT like proper petrol proof rubber...BUT...!

BTW: Have repaired leak in petrol tank with the supershiit once (clean with brake cleaner first and let dry properly...sun best) by pouring it in and running it into crack. (twice)...letting it dry overnight...goodasgold for 3 weeks (...briddle...vibrates off eventually).
:rockon:

NordieBoy
19th January 2011, 18:42
BTW: Have repaired leak in petrol tank with the supershiit once (clean with brake cleaner first and let dry properly...sun best) by pouring it in and running it into crack. (twice)...letting it dry overnight...goodasgold for 3 weeks (...briddle...vibrates off eventually).
:rockon:

Sprinkle baking soda over the superglue. Sets it instantly and HARD.
Ready for fileing/sanding straight away.

almoto
19th January 2011, 19:02
Quote: "Baking Soda over Super Glue...Sets it instantly and HARD..." -Unquote.

Might come in handy in other applications.

girlfight:

almoto
19th January 2011, 19:15
What about increase in size? :eek:

almoto
19th January 2011, 19:16
How long does it last?

almoto
19th January 2011, 19:17
Does it irritate?

almoto
19th January 2011, 19:18