PDA

View Full Version : Bike riding after 15 years (1097ju12)

1097ju12
18th January 2011, 19:51
hi guys just signed up to this good site as i have just brought my self a 2007 Suzuki sv1000 after a very long time non-riding last bike was a 2001 zxr750 that's how long its been !!!
loving the new bike but will take me a while to back in to it again. have been for a few long rides which is helping me get back into it
roll on the weekends so i can get some more mileage under my belt
so good to be back riding !!

Gibbo89
18th January 2011, 20:09
hi guys just signed up to this good site as i have just brought my self a 2007 Suzuki sv1000 after a very long time non-riding last bike was a 2001 zxr750 that's how long its been !!!
loving the new bike but will take me a while to back in to it again. have been for a few long rides which is helping me get back into it
roll on the weekends so i can get some more mileage under my belt
so good to be back riding !!

Welcome to KB, how does the SV compare to the zxr750?

1097ju12
18th January 2011, 21:18
hi there i would have to say the sv is a lot different to ride than the zxr
the zxr was a lot smoother and from what i can remember the zxr handled around the corners a bit better but i think the sv1000 has a lot more power and fun to ride

Gibbo89
18th January 2011, 22:06
hi there i would have to say the sv is a lot different to ride than the zxr
the zxr was a lot smoother and from what i can remember the zxr handled around the corners a bit better but i think the sv1000 has a lot more power and fun to ride

Sounds like a good judgment call on those 2 bikes!

BuzzardNZ
19th January 2011, 09:10
you might want to check out http://www.sv-portal.com/ . Lots of good info there about the SV. All the mods I've done to mine came from that site.

1097ju12
19th January 2011, 17:46
hi cool thanks i will have look at that i am wanting to do a few mod's on the bike

BuzzardNZ
19th January 2011, 18:40
hi cool thanks i will have look at that i am wanting to do a few mod's on the bike

this is what I did to mine and made it feel and sound way way better:

2 brothers exhaust,
BMC air filter,
Snorkel removal,
TPS adjustment ( easy to do and great mod ),
TRE,
TEKA tune ( if you are going to do this, make sure it's after you've done all the other mods first )

Be warned though, after doing all these things, while the bike does run heaps better, smoother, more power etc, the fuel economy has dropped a fair bit. I only get about 160-170k's per tank now.

Next I plan to do is get the suspension sorted out for my weight.

1097ju12
19th January 2011, 18:51
that's the first thing i want to do is get some better exhausts !!as they sound awesome i can do around 250km on a tank so far that's when the fuel lights was flashing at me
have you played around with the settings for the suspension ? i am 74kg and would like to get it set up as well for my weight i have made the front a bit softer which i think has helped a little bit

BuzzardNZ
19th January 2011, 19:00
I'm about 80kgs and I did the same as you, as when I got it the suspension felt too hard up front. I recall going over a small bump at about 100kph and the damn thing almost bucked me off. Now after a few years on it the front feels too soft. Many SV owners on that site replace the stock front suspension with GSXR1000 ones, but I think that's overkill and only for the serious rider. I think the stock suspension is not that good, but good enough for everyday use.

I did most of the mods myself, but when it comes to setting the suspension, I have no idea, so I'll get the bike shop to do that on my next service. There is a good thread on setting up the suspension on sv-portal and they have a good search function where you can find it. If you can't just post, they are a very friendly lot there.

1097ju12
19th January 2011, 19:27
funny you say that i had a bit of a wobble going over a bump in the road not that long ago and nearly pooed my self so when i came home after my and had a play around with the front i too may take it to our bike shop for them to set it up i don't think i will be getting the gsxr1000 front like you said bit of an over kill
i look have a look on the site to see if i can work out the settings if not it will be back to the shop

mrchips
19th January 2011, 20:28
You've bought a bike with character, I've got an 07 as well.

I love the sound of V8's but the SV with loud pipes just sounds savage !

I ended up putting the low volume inserts back in my yoshi's cos it upset the neighbourhood dogs (& beyond) when i nailed it, would also freak out car drivers coming up behind & overtaking + piss off the boy racers when backfiring at traffic lights :laugh:

I find the suspension pretty hard solo but with the wife on the back it's spot on, gotta please the missus. I think the factory settings are set up for a heavy rider ?

I get a tank range of 260 km solo or 230 km 2 up when the fuel light comes on (no modifications apart from pipes)

1097ju12
19th January 2011, 20:33
gidday mrchips i too the the sound of a v8 !! had 3 of them i think this bike will give me lots of good fun will be doing the pipes soon
and i am finding the suspension hard as well have taken the kids around the block and seems to ride a bit better not so keen on taking them out of town as they are all new to riding on bikes
i will keep playing around with the settings

davebullet
20th January 2011, 07:49
I've got an SV650 - but 2nd the TPS and TRE. Makes them a much easier commuter machine and smoother off idle / in slow traffic.

I replaced the rear shock with a GSXR1000K3- and it ended up dropping it by about 10 - 15mm. I didn't bother raising the back end (nor dropping the front in the triples) but hasn't made much difference to steering. It's made the back more compliant, but I wouldn't say "better". I prefer the slightly harder ride of the speed triple around corners. Probably too much rebound damping on the rear of the SV.

I agree about the ride. I'm also about 80kgs and find most bikes too hard / oversprung. Although damping is built to a price, I'm going to try a more weight aligned spring in the speed triple to see if that helps.

1097ju12
20th January 2011, 18:12
HI DAVE i have been reading up that a few guys over seas replace front set with gsxr1000 most say it makes a big difference if i wanted to spend that sort of $$ i would just go out and buy a gsxr1000 i think the sv is a good reliable bike with lots of torque and i am very happy with it .should be better once i have set the ride up to my liking