PDA

View Full Version : FZR250 Questions...

MagicMarker
18th June 2005, 14:55
I was looking at the Eliminator, but now I found a FZR250R. I am pretty much leaning to the FZR, just need to ask some questions.

What is the reliability of the bike? I have read quite a few different points of view regarding the EXUP (Exhaust valve). Is there anything to look out for when buying one of these?

The one I am looking at is 1990 done 36,000KM.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=29454663&key=17927703

Does it have any known problems? What are they worth?

Thank you.

chickenfunkstar
18th June 2005, 15:09
I think the 1989ish onwards are usually ok (3ln?), but i'd be really cautious about buying some of the earlier models.

I'd definatly recommend you get it properly checked out before you buy it.

Exup's good when its working (make sure everything's lubricated)

Price seems ok.

MagicMarker
18th June 2005, 15:14
I think the 1989ish onwards are usually ok (3ln?), but i'd be really cautious about buying some of the earlier models.

I'd definatly recommend you get it properly checked out before you buy it.

Exup's good when its working (make sure everything's lubricated)

Price seems ok.

Thank you for your reply. If the EXUP is playing up, is it possible to remove it from the exhaust system?

Thank you for your info. I will be going to see it in about 15mins :D

WildBoarMouse
18th June 2005, 16:15
Might be a good idea to ask that question here....?
http://p072.ezboard.com/fexupbrotherhoodfrm27

Coyote
18th June 2005, 16:23
When I was interested in the FZR, I was told to go for the 3LN model, not sure what was wrong with the previous model (not sure of its code name either)

Remember, models after '94 on all 250 4 strokes have been restricted to 40hp

Brains
18th June 2005, 16:48
I had the 91(3LN) version, never had any problems with it. The EXUP value to my knowledge just helps with the power down low (thats the story from the factory, but most believe it helps to get the bikes through noise and emission tests), it's not really that important as most after market exhausts get rid of them anyway. If they are cared for these bikes hold there value, I got mine from Haledanes fro $2700, 10,000 kms latter I traded it in a another bike shop for $2500 - had new chain and tyres.

MagicMarker
18th June 2005, 21:27
I have put down deposit and am getting the bike on wednesday hopefully. It is a 3ln with an 1hx engine. The rear suspension makes a creaking/squeaking noise when pressure is applied to it, would anyone know how to regrease the rear suspension? Hopefully i can join other kbers on the road soon enough :ride:

FEINT
18th June 2005, 21:30
Congratulations on the bike. :D :D

campbellluke
18th June 2005, 22:03
CONGRATS mate, they are a beaut 250. Brother owned one when he had his learners.

chickenfunkstar
19th June 2005, 12:33
I have put down deposit and am getting the bike on wednesday hopefully. It is a 3ln with an 1hx engine. The rear suspension makes a creaking/squeaking noise when pressure is applied to it, would anyone know how to regrease the rear suspension? Hopefully i can join other kbers on the road soon enough :ride:

I'd really recommend you get it checked out by a mechanic, perticularly if its got an earlier engine / carbs.

I know a few people (including myself) who used to own a 2kr fzr.
Carbs tend to be made out of weetbix.
Not sure about the 1hx.

Did you get a chance to ride it?
Any flat spots in the rev range?

Brains
19th June 2005, 14:34
Congrats on the bike, I had a great time on my FZR250 - if I had the cash I'd find it and buy it back - yes even with a thou I would still find time to ride the FZR.

MagicMarker
19th June 2005, 18:46
It has a flat spot at around 3,000-4,000 revs, the carbs probably need a resync. Would anyone know how to regrease the rear shock?

Mr Skid
19th June 2005, 19:57
Would anyone know how to regrease the rear shock?Ask WINJA, he might have some KY left over.

MagicMarker
19th June 2005, 23:07
I found a great website for FZR250's it's www.fzr250.com , heaps of information on the site, and answers to most of my questions :2thumbsup i would recommend it to anyone with fzr250 questions :D

I'll be sure to ask winja for some of that ky :eyepoke:

gamgee
15th July 2005, 20:08
whats everyones opinion on this one:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=30889202
or is it to old, is 1989 the earliest i should go for these, if i bought it, what sort of troubles and $$$ am i likely to have to fork out?

campbellluke
15th July 2005, 20:26
You probably should check it out. But try and talk him down a couple of hundred though. Probably the type of guy who looked after it.

I have never seen a FZR with over 50K kilometres on the clock though. In saying that I don't see why you can't get it to 70K + before you start having engine problems. Redlines at 18K but 100km should only be 8000rpm if I recall right.

I haven't heard any good stories about their general reliability. But if you look after it you should be able to sell it without much loss. 4 cylinders should be of value. But they arn't as much as they should be at the moment. Because everyone is buying brand new 250 singles and twins :mad: They still haven't found out that it is a stupid waste of money and speed.

They are awesome bike, my little brother had one. Whenever you did maintenance to do with it, it looked scary with all the fairing. But it was easy to take back off and on.

Only thing that I would be reluctant about is.. yeah. I haven't heard of any that have done the high mileage.

gamgee
15th July 2005, 20:41
yeah i haven't heard good things about the carbs in these, just looking at the fzr250.com forums there are a lot of 2kr exup owners saying they are having troubles with the carbs, what sort of amounts would i be looking at for parts that are likely to break on this bike? and what sort of things should i be paying special attention to if i do go take it for a test ride?

Magua
15th July 2005, 21:29
During the test ride, look for flat spots in the rev range, if it gurgles before it accelerates when you twist the throttle at certain revs, this could mean the carbs are fudged or they need one hell of a clean. The rear shock is dodge on my bike and a few other fzr owners I've talked to, don't know how you'd check that one though, get someone to take note of the travel as you sit on the bike maybe.

I've contacted wreckers and they've quoted me $300 for second hand carburators. You might find some touble with thr EXUP valve too, it has a tendancy on some fzrs to close therefore causing a buildup of gasses in the exhaust, which will slow the bike down and eventually stop it until the gasses clear, this has only happened to me once, don't let this turn you away from such a great feature as EXUP.

Enough nesaying (sp) In good nick the fzr is an awesome bike and from what I hear has rather awesome fuel economy, hell even with fudged carbs it's farking fun, love dropping it down a gear past a crowd or beating a cager off the line.

gamgee
15th July 2005, 21:51
so with a stuffed carb would that give the impression of compression being down, it's just i remembered a friend has one that says he feels compression is down, and is it still rideable with a relatively stuffed carb? also what other issues are there and how high does the mileage usually go before they have major problems?

N4CR
15th July 2005, 21:51
EXUP valve sounds like a cool idea... I'm guessing it just gives UBER backpressure on low rpms.... would help my gutted darn zorst :devil2:

Just got it back from servicing today :D ... valve clearances, oil, balanced etc etc etc the works.. $580 total (ouch :oi-grr: ) but it runs like a DREAM :Punk: (Cheers Ricky & Mt Eden.) Won't need anything but oil and petrol and chains etc for the next 20,000km hopefully.

Ricky: Man you need more back pressure.. it has a big hole in the powerband down low.
Me: what... around 6000rpm?
Ricky: Yeah.
Me: Who rides it all the way down at 6000rpm :rofl: :rofl:

We give each other shit all the time :motu:

Seriously keen for EXUP though :love:

Magua
16th July 2005, 09:45
so with a stuffed carb would that give the impression of compression being down, it's just i remembered a friend has one that says he feels compression is down, and is it still rideable with a relatively stuffed carb? also what other issues are there and how high does the mileage usually go before they have major problems?

A stuffed carb shouldn't indicate that compression is down, fzr carbs are just known for being poor, atleast on the 2krs. The bike is still rideable with a fudged carb, it does mean that your fuel economy will be poor (I get 10kms to a litre) and you will have flat spots (I have two to three). I need to get a compression test done on my bike as it's nearing 40,000k's, but as for high mileage I can't comment, my bike has it's problems but I think they are mostly from poor riding and maintanence from previous owners (from successive marks to the bike) I think It's been crashed several times.

Magua
16th July 2005, 09:46
Seriously keen for EXUP though :love:

Come, join yamaha :yes: .

MagicMarker
17th July 2005, 00:08
yea, they do have a bit of a flat spot down low.. but most 250cc's have 'em. The exup cable can be a bit of a b*tch to fix if you snap it and dont' want to buy original ones, the solder keeps melting off, gets good and hot down there. My carbs aren't the best but it still rides, no problems just a bit lacking in power.

Magua
24th July 2005, 20:49
Congrats man, you got any pictures of it?

bagel
4th September 2005, 09:42
I purchased a '91 FZR250 3LN a few years ago. had been dropped and has damaged top and front fairings. Was going to fix it all up but havent been able to find the time. 53000kms. I have had the rego on exempt. I am willing to sell but I'm not sure what the bike is worth both with new WOF and REGO and without. I purchased it for $2200 and put a new indicator on the front left. Rode it to work everyday for about a year. No probs getting WOF.

Any ideas?

MagicMarker
4th September 2005, 22:58
I've been looking around on trademe and for a 91' i'm sure you'll get around 3,000 for it. Bike prices for 250's seem to be going up, good thing for you :woohoo: Does the engine run good?

bagel
5th September 2005, 08:49
Yeah runs fine. Very quick, very good handling. Personally I would rather get a bike that is easier to manouver and throw around because I live in the city.

I have seen a set of FZR400 3TJ fairings that I may purchase and try to fit. Anyone tried this before?

wyatt
9th September 2005, 10:37
My first bike was a fzr250r, I bought it with 3000km on the clock, and rode it daily for about 9months, did about 25000km on it without it missing a beat, but then it started to cut out and wouldnt restart for about 10mins all the time, I was about ready to upgrade to a 600cc so I traded it in without investigating what was wrong with it..
BUt it was a great first bike, I loved it.
Wyatt

TerminalAddict
9th September 2005, 11:02
if all goes to plan, I might own an FZR250R on sunday

Magua
9th September 2005, 11:13
My first bike was a fzr250r, I bought it with 3000km on the clock, and rode it daily for about 9months, did about 25000km on it without it missing a beat, but then it started to cut out and wouldnt restart for about 10mins all the time, I was about ready to upgrade to a 600cc so I traded it in without investigating what was wrong with it..
BUt it was a great first bike, I loved it.
Wyatt

That could of been the exup malfunctioning alowing a buildup of gasses in the exhaust creating too much backpressure. Given time (10 mins like you stated) and gasses clear and away you go.