PDA

View Full Version : "Faster" a review

pritch
18th June 2005, 15:57
Faster

This movie depicting the world of Moto GP has been receiving rave reviews and when it became available I wanted to see it. Released by Hopscotch Entertainment, the first of the two discs covers the Moto GP series over the period 2001 2002. The last year of the 500cc two strokes and the first of the 1000cc four strokes.

The commentary is provided by the riders, team managers, design engineers, mechanics, truck drivers, former champions, journalists and even parents. This is the story of the racers rather than of the races. You can obtain those stories elsewhere. The commentary provides insights into the character and background of some of the major players and of what it takes to succeed in Moto GP.

The action shots are amazing and I'm in awe of the skill levels exhibited.
“Don't try this at home kids” as they say on TV.
As Rossi (who is a practitioner) says of riding on the roads:
“Is dangerous. Not only you, but all the fucking idiots ride the car.
Because don't look at bike. Car is bigger than bike - no problem.”
Amen.

The second disc entitled “Faster and Faster” covers the 2003 season and introduces the new riders and the new bikes. It covers the technology (if anyone offers you a bike with a "fly-by-wire" throttle run for your life). There is discussion of Jeremy Burgess' 80/20 theory: ”In Formula One it's 80% car, 20% driver. In Moto GP it's 80% rider and 20% bike.” As the guy who managed the Repsol Honda team and moved with Rossi to Gauloises Yamaha, Burgess literally put his money where his mouth was.

The story finishes with Rossi's history making win in South Africa in 2004. One of the closing comments is Troy Baylis's, “If he can do this, he will be one step closer to God. - It's a big step”.

Both discs contain additional material. Among others , “multi angle interactive racing”, and there are sections on: Wheels and Tyres, Physique, The Limit, and last but by no means least.... Crumpet.

“Faster” is available for rent from Blockbuster video in New Plymouth (at my suggestion, so if you live here please hire the bloody thing). Or you should be able to order it from all the usual places for $29.95.

I can't think of a better way to spend a rainy afternoon. Well, on your own anyway.

zadok
18th June 2005, 15:59
Sounds good. I'll definitely keep an eye out for it. :yes:

Jeremy
18th June 2005, 21:59
Why's it rated M16?

pritch
18th June 2005, 22:39
Until you mentioned it I hadn't noticed that. There are no sex scenes unless you count the scantily clad umbrella girls. If you discount numerous crashes and an off camera punch-up between Rossi and Biaggi there isn't any violence either.

Mr Rossi drops the "f" word with a degree of fluency but there are TV programmes that use worse language, "Deadwood" and "The Sopranos" spring to mind.

Maybe the censor doesn't like motor bikes?

Marknz
18th June 2005, 22:39
if you want to order it online. I've always had very good service from them and haven't received a dud yet in the years that I've been buying DVDs and VHSs form them.

http://www.dukevideo.com.au/product.asp?P_ID=445

Suney
18th June 2005, 23:02
What section did you find it at Blockbuster?
I'm going to try the dominion road one

riffer
18th June 2005, 23:12
Mr Rossi drops the "f" word with a degree of fluency

There's a great quote by Rossi at the start of the movie:

"The first-a time you ride-a the 500cc - its-a like fuuuuuuuuuucckkk!"

pritch
18th June 2005, 23:23
http://www.dukevideo.com.au/product.asp?P_ID=445

That's rather more expensive than the NZ$29.95 that Blockbuster charged me. (We got one each :-)

Ghost Lemur
19th June 2005, 01:39
What section did you find it at Blockbuster?
I'm going to try the dominion road one

If you can't find it at Blockbuster try Real Groovy. That's where I bought my copy.

Bit disappointed with Faster and Faster. They say it covers the 03 AND 04 seasons. Yet it doesn't. What it does cover seems more haphazzardly put together than the original. Considering the subject matter and the spectacular nature of the 04 season I would have prefered them to hold off the realease of the two disk dvd and do a decent job of it.

Other than that, I've watched it a dozen times and it still has me constantly giggling like a schoolboy seeing his first set of breasts.

Eyetie
19th June 2005, 08:41
It has some excellent footage on it that you don't see usually watching the normal televised racing, I think its a great addition to a DVD collection.
I bought the Twist of the Wrist on DVD the other day that was AUD59.00, thought it would be better seeing rather than reading the book. Only watched it once (need to watch it again) but first thoughts were it is quite geared to racing vs road riding (the DVD don't know about the book). By the looks of the weather it will get its second viewing today.

onearmedbandit
19th June 2005, 10:07
It has some excellent footage on it that you don't see usually watching the normal televised racing, I think its a great addition to a DVD collection.
I bought the Twist of the Wrist on DVD the other day that was AUD59.00, thought it would be better seeing rather than reading the book. Only watched it once (need to watch it again) but first thoughts were it is quite geared to racing vs road riding (the DVD don't know about the book). By the looks of the weather it will get its second viewing today.

TOTW is, like you say, more aimed at racing. TOTW2 is, from what I've been told, more balanced.

pritch
19th June 2005, 11:24
TOTW is, like you say, more aimed at racing. TOTW2 is, from what I've been told, more balanced.

I have TOTW2, the book, and all but one or two of the illustrations are of racing situations. Many (but perhaps not all ) of the techniques translate to the road.

I also have Sport Riding Techniques by Ienatsch which may be simpler but is more easily understood. It's an altogether more modern looking book. The racing and road pictures (colour) are evenly balanced. If you were only going to buy just one, I would suggest the latter.

Skunk
19th June 2005, 20:31
Good review. Loved the first DVD so brought the update two DVD set when it came out from EzyDVD (http://www.ezydvd.com.au/mech/quicksearch.zml?f=title&q=Faster&x=13&y=13)

Sensei
20th June 2005, 20:26
Yep watched it last night Great old footage of the Old Masters & new . will have to buy . Had to go out for a Hook on the 1000 to try some of the drifts :yes:

NC
20th June 2005, 20:56
I love it, I saw it for the first time last year...
They bag Biaggi big time :clap: :laugh: