PDA

View Full Version : 1/8th Mile Street Drags

rotaholicfc3s
20th January 2011, 18:25
Thinking about entering an event being held nearby, 1/8th mile drag races on a closed public road. Have raced the 1/4's a couple of times on a bike (heaps more in a cage) but being that this isn't a race track and is half the distance I was wondering if theres anything to take into consideration or if anyone has done it before and has any tips to share. Bike is an R1.

Cheers

onearmedbandit
20th January 2011, 18:54
Street race huh? Probably need a license for that one.

rotaholicfc3s
20th January 2011, 19:27
Closed road, so no. Rego/Wof/Tech Inspection on day.
I have mine back BTW

avgas
20th January 2011, 19:52
If your only doing 1/8 your pretty fucked as the R1 only claws back in 3rd-4th hitting the peak (usually down other end of 1/4).
I would be definitely forgetting about the clutch except for dropping into 1st.
Also you want to hit the red in every gear - otherwise your exup wont be doing shit.

tri boy
20th January 2011, 20:17
Raced 1/8 mile closed rd a few times in Wanganui through the eigthies. (Heads Rd).
Its fun, and all sorts turn out. We had transam's racing T-Buckets, Truck units facing each other off etc.
Don't take it too seriously and you'll have a ball:msn-wink:
(Watching a cab over Kenny take on a 18 speed Acco was way cool):weird:

Skinon
2nd March 2011, 14:12
Just raced the 1/8th mile in queenstown, but was in a 500hp gtr. There was a couple of bikes, a turbo harley night train (i think) which was pretty quick, no traction tho!

Its dam good fun, all about the launching and its over before you know it. My best time was a 7.38 which won it, and put a lil grudge with a v8 into the dust lol.

Heeeeeeeaps of fun especially if you have done the quarter heaps.

onearmedbandit
2nd March 2011, 14:50
Just raced the 1/8th mile in queenstown, but was in a 500hp gtr. There was a couple of bikes, a turbo harley night train (i think) which was pretty quick, no traction tho!

Its dam good fun, all about the launching and its over before you know it. My best time was a 7.38 which won it, and put a lil grudge with a v8 into the dust lol.

Heeeeeeeaps of fun especially if you have done the quarter heaps.

Nice! What's the spec's of your GTR?

blackdog
2nd March 2011, 15:08
If your only doing 1/8 your pretty fucked as the R1 only claws back in 3rd-4th hitting the peak (usually down other end of 1/4).
I would be definitely forgetting about the clutch except for dropping into 1st.
Also you want to hit the red in every gear - otherwise your exup wont be doing shit.

sprockets baby sprockets

nadroj
2nd March 2011, 18:57
Best of 7.002 on a GSXR1100L at Bell Block.
Tips:
1 or 2 tooth smaller on the front will allow you to get the back wheel further back in the swingarm and make for better launches without major mods.
Leave on the last light before the green as reactions take care of the delay.
Sit as far forward as poss on the line with as little load on your feet as possible.
Try short shifting to 2nd if you can to limit front wheel lift and get a quicker smoother shift.
Drop the rear tyre pressure about 10psi.
Run about 5 litres in the tank (I found 50-50 mix of 91-95 best).
Drop your front forks in the tripple clamps.
Changing oil from synthetic to semi or 4t changes the clutch feel for a better launch.

Best of luck & have fun

Skinon
9th March 2011, 17:33
Nice! What's the spec's of your GTR?

It wasn't mine :devil2: But full HKS engine HKS 2530 turbos real stealth looking beast with black 18's, nice and quiet you wouldnt know it packs 550hp at the wheels, shoulda seen the looks of the old guys at the start, wouldnt even geeze till i was launchin it at 5600, then they started talkin to me haha :yes:

johin83
6th November 2012, 01:51
Thinking about entering an event being held nearby, 1/8th mile drag races on a closed public road. Have raced the 1/4's a couple of times on a bike (heaps more in a cage) but being that this isn't a race track and is half the distance I was wondering if theres anything to take into consideration or if anyone has done it before and has any tips to share. Bike is an R1.

Cheers

I know whats theam in your mind. but I think its a Dangerous for life...

dog diet (http://pommymommy.com/how-to-feed-a-raw-diet-to-pomeranians/)