PDA

View Full Version : Problem starting my ZZR250

Gremlin
19th June 2005, 02:09
OK, done a bit of searching on the forum, but haven't found much that might help, so why not have some specific help from a knowledge database??

Basically, when starting the ZZR250 when it hasn't been running for the last few hours (or more obviously) the first couple of times all I will get is a sound sort of like a quiet, high pitched crackle (this part is hard to mimic esp in text :wait: ) like the battery might be dead (which is possible). After a few attempts it will either start or try to start. If it tries, its back to the crackling a couple of times, then it will fire.

Sometimes I engage the clutch (dad says it will take some strain off the whatever and make starting easier) if I do this, it takes a while before I can release the clutch (otherwise the revs plummet on release, and I have to snatch the clutch to save it) which means I stand around like a prat wanting to get the helmet on etc.

If I have been riding for a while (not like <10 minutes, otherwise the problem repeats) then there is no issue.

The thing is that I have bought a new battery thinking it was the problem, charged it correctly, and the first couple of starts (cold mornings etc) were no problem, now a problem every time.

On one of the threads I was reading, somebody said something about rectifiers not lasting?? Eh?? Is it a possible cause?? Just wondering what it could be etc, wanting to get an idea of the job involved, shop time (its a commuter) and how much it might cost...

If its simple, I certainly don't mind having a crack myself...

Artifice
19th June 2005, 03:49
sounds like its not firing on all cylinders when first started up. maybe she's fouling the plugs or you need to clean the carbs. another cause could be poor spark. let us know how you go on the diagnostics.

Ixion
19th June 2005, 11:01
The high pitched crackle sounds like arcing , either the starter motor or the relay.

But an electrical problem would be unlikely to explain the "dying when you let the clucth out" syndrome. Do ZZR250s always do that when cold (some two smokers are shit until warmed up).

Has it always done it thus.

I am puzzled why letting the clutch out IN NEUTRAL would put any significant extra load on the engine. The only extra load your bringing is the bearing drag etc in the gearbox.

This is where the lack of a kick start stinks!

Having said all of this I would suggest eliminating one possibility quickly, the battery . A while back I bought a new battery for the Whale. Old one getting tired .

First week or so , fine.Then it started to get so if it didn't fire first time I wouldn't have enough battery to have anotther go (no crackle, clicks instead). Then would'nt start at all

Checked all the charging circuits. All OK. WTF. Finally took the battery back where I got it from, and they tested it. Defective. So it can happen

Suggest you go back where you got the battery, explain nicely, say you just want to be able to rule out the battery itself, get them to test it. If it passes, it's not that, and unlikely to be your charging circuit. Just seems suspicious that it was OK for a bit after you replaced the battery. (Mind you, a defective charging circuit could have cooked a good battery , too)

Cary
19th June 2005, 12:24
Need a new rubberband :rofl:

UrbanMyth
11th January 2006, 23:08
sounds like its not firing on all cylinders when first started up. maybe she's fouling the plugs or you need to clean the carbs. another cause could be poor spark. let us know how you go on the diagnostics.

True.Would recommened cleaning the carbs also.
Could even be flooding if you end up taking your carbs and stuff off check to make sure your floats are at 17mm or close.

Urm... bit of an old post there UrbanMyth... and considing the current location and state of the bike now I don't think he'll be fixing it soon.

Sniper
12th January 2006, 08:28
Thread DREDGER!!!!

UrbanMyth
12th January 2006, 10:45
and out come the forum whores lol.
Sorry for not doing indepth research before attempting to help someone on a thread i found after searching for another.
Cheers for the info

Nothing personal mate, but most people here seem to changes bikes like they change their underwear (although that isn't often).

Good on ya for trying to help anyways.

Gremlin
12th January 2006, 15:48
Yeah, as weasel said... the bike has a few other problems now, starting being the minor issue.

For those looking for an answer, or solution, turns out the contacts in the starter didn't have good contact (I think they were copper, and a little tarnished), could get around it by wiggling the starter side to side, or cleaning the contacts.

New battery also may have helped to fix problem, not too sure, it was a few months ago.

New bike sat morning... can't wait :innocent:

UrbanMyth
20th January 2006, 14:10
ok weasel.
Congratz on the new bike Gremlin