PDA

View Full Version : Feet Can't Touch The Ground?

Zed
19th June 2005, 11:29
Inspired by another thread where Beemer said the following about Antonio's new Aprilia:

Verrrry pretty! I would love to have legs long enough to ride something as gorgeous as this - congratulations, enjoy it!To everyone, not just Beemer,

don't you feel somewhat handicapped if your feet can't touch the ground, restricted to what motorcycle you choose to buy? What about these taller people who can't ride smaller bikes? How do you feel about it if you're one of them? Would you go the extra mile and get height modifications done to the bike of your present dreams? :ride:

Joni
19th June 2005, 11:38
I had this conversation with someone last week - for sure I would have the modifications done. I reckon just make sure its done properly by someone who knows what they doing and wooohooo up, up and away!! :ride:

Zed
19th June 2005, 11:41
I had this conversation with someone last week - for sure I would have the modifications done. I reckon just make sure its done properly by someone who knows what they doing and wooohooo up, up and away!! :ride:Yeah I knew you thought like that about the issue Jo seeing that we have discussed it several times! :msn-wink:

zadok
19th June 2005, 11:55
At 6' I think I can pretty much straddle any bike I wanted reasonably comfortably; certainly the bikes I would consider buying. :ride:

Ixion
19th June 2005, 12:08
Well, I'm 5'8", but short in the leg. Legs actually belong on someone about 5'3" or so . Bloody Igor, never gets it quite right. WHY weren't the proper legs in stock, that's what I want to know.

So I'm not highly restricted,but most big bikes I can't do the "both feet flat on the ground " thing.

But I've never let it worry me, you can just work around (missing poll option for that).

Lean the bike over more at a standstill, you'll get one foot on the ground. Rolling back (or forward) while sitting on it is tricky, I usually get off and move it, though it's surprising what you cna do tippy toe.

Incidentally it's not just seta heght, width of the seat is as important.

Li'l Ratty is the reverse. It would be an excellent bike for a very short person, but for me , my upper body is too long, which means the riding position is a bit awkward, the bars are too low (and non adjustable. That's another rant I must get round to). But I can work around it.

FROSTY
19th June 2005, 12:26
I guess when the japs were building bikes they musta used my body as the size to fit them. I really cant think of any bikes Ive not been able to ride easily.
Mind you that said with my SV I totally removed the seat padding to lower my rear more nto rather than on the bike.It made a huge difference to the balance of the bike.

Jackrat
19th June 2005, 15:04
5/10,90kg.
Havn't had a problem yet but if I did an really wanted the bike I would change it to suit.
My first XR was rather tall but who's sitting around anyway :ride:

Waylander
19th June 2005, 15:43
6'2" and the only bikes I have trouble with are most 250s and GSXRs. Riding on 250 bikes, cruisers and sports, I feel really crunched up. On the GSXRs my knees keep hitting the fairings so not confortable there either. Other than that I have no problems.

Motu
19th June 2005, 15:49
I'm on the short side and tend to ride dirt bikes,which have got taller and taller over the years,although it never used to worry me....the idea is not to put your feet down too much and use a bit of natural terrain if you have too.Same with stopping,you can often use higher ground to put a foot down.I've ridden bikes cranked up so tall by jumpers that I had to get on and off with the bike on the move.These days I seem to have restricted hip movement and don't like tall heavy bikes - both my Yamaha's have a 865mm seat and that's a good compromise for me,that's 2 balls or one flat foot.Seat width is important and dirt bikes have a narrow seat making taller seats a bit easier,also the suspension is very soft,so what looks high will sink by around 100mm when you get on.

crashe
19th June 2005, 17:06
Ok being that I am really short.... yes I am...
and I like to have both feet firmly planted on the ground...
There is only a couple of bikes that I can reach the ground with both feet.

My virago :love:

The Savage 650 and I think the Intruder.

Virago 1100 is great but too heavy for me to move.
Virago 750 is to tall.... and it is an older bike, but light to move.

All other bikes are just too tall for me.

So I am gonna stick with my baby :love:

Will
19th June 2005, 17:31
I am 5'4" and with short legs.
So my bike has been modified.
When I was much younger, height wasn't a problem with the bikes I rode (Honda SL s XL s).
I think I have stopped growing now.

John
19th June 2005, 18:15
5'7" / 5'8"

I dont know how I will get on with bigger bikes I should be ok hopefully :D, If I cant I will make sure I figure sumin out..

Virago
19th June 2005, 18:39
5'4", and I stopped growing almost 30 years ago (well upwards anyway). In fact I'm probably getting closer to the age when I'll start shrinking.....

The Virago 1100 is about as big as I can handle. I can get both feet planted firmly on the ground, with enough foot-spread to be able to comfortably handle the weight of the bike.

Sport bikes are generally way too high, and most off-roaders these days I'd need a ladder for. No worries, I'm a cruiser man anyway!

Bigger cruisers than mine are often lower at the seat, but the width of the machine means I'm on tip-toe, and you just can't do that with 300Kg plus, and feel safely in control. I've had a sit on Kwaka Vulcan 2000, it has a real low seat, but the sheer bulk meant I was on tip-toe. I struggled to get it off the side stand.

Suney
19th June 2005, 19:29
185cm here
Have had no problem touching ground on anybike
Feel a little small on the zxr250 after riding the zx6rr

Zed
19th June 2005, 20:02
5'7" / 5'8"

I dont know how I will get on with bigger bikes I should be ok hopefully :D, If I cant I will make sure I figure sumin out..I'm the same height as you truth be known, you should be sweet. The Blackbird is a big bike and I can have both feet on the ground without effort! :clap:

Two Smoker
19th June 2005, 20:21
IM 6 foot and find myself on tippy toes sometimes on my GSXR600...

Big Dog
19th June 2005, 22:13
My only issue seems to be finding a bike that does not make me look like a learner.

Skill set aside many desirable bikes look rediculously small on me.

They kind of remind me of a famous womans quote "does this make my arse look big?"

Gremlin
20th June 2005, 01:32
At 6"3, and long legged its no problem straddling a bike, its trying to get the feet comfortably onto the pegs thats the issue.

I only love sportsbikes, and jap learners were not really made for 6+ footers.

Can't wait to move up to a bigger bike. :wait:

XP@
20th June 2005, 10:20
5'4"

I would ride the tallest of bikes, to buy a bike where neither foot can touch, at the lowest stock setting, without sliding would probably be out of the question. It did take a little while to get used to taller bikes though.

My prob is I like tall bikes so I have learned to adjust to minor inconvieniences.

1. Be able to Pick up a big bike easily (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=13342)
2. learn to ride real slow, so at traffic lights I can avoid putting my feet down.
3. Get on when the bike is on the centre stand
4. learn how to get on from the right hand side. (right foot on right foot peg then swing left over)
5. rolling start. (demo on featherston street most nights at 5pm)

The aparent height of your bike will increase if you are touring or you are wearing winter / wet gear. So if you can get one foot down normally, in wets you may be on your tip toes, or when your luggage is loaded, swinging your foot over the seat may be impossible.

Zed
20th June 2005, 17:51
My only issue seems to be finding a bike that does not make me look like a learner.

Skill set aside many desirable bikes look rediculously small on me.

They kind of remind me of a famous womans quote "does this make my arse look big?"So you go out and buy a brand new Hayabusa!!! :Punk:

I have no sympathy for you.

FlyingDutchMan
21st June 2005, 11:57
I'm 6'6" and can flat foot my bike on the pillion seat. I don't seem to have problems with confort on my wee 250 & can go for several hundred ks without getting sore wrists/arms/back/legs. Only problem is that knees have tendancy to hit the fairings over bumps and during stoppies, and I managed to crack one once :mad:

DingDong
22nd June 2005, 20:18
Yes, I would play with the bike of my dreams to make it fit me... within reason.

Jabez
22nd June 2005, 20:26
At 6'1" don't have any issue with bike hight, although I am probably a sight riding my wifes FX125!!:)

justsomeguy
22nd June 2005, 20:45
Bout 5"10 and long legs..... I've sat on at least 10 diff kinds of bikes even one cruiser and they all fit me ok..... only bike I had a prob with was a CBR250RR felt like I was riding a minimoto......:whistle: a ZXR250 feels only a little bigger.....

Hey anyone own a TRX850??:love: I wanna see how that fits me for size:yes:

Big Dog
22nd June 2005, 21:54
So you go out and buy a brand new Hayabusa!!! :Punk:

I have no sympathy for you.
Under life pillions instructions even lol. :clap:

Beemer
24th June 2005, 17:14
These days I seem to have restricted hip movement and don't like tall heavy bikes - both my Yamaha's have a 865mm seat and that's a good compromise for me, that's 2 balls or one flat foot.

Wow, Motu, I've heard of riding by the seat of your pants, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's impressed to hear you can get two balls on the ground - LOL! :rofl:

I'm 5'1" but built for a Ducati - short legs and long arms! My legs must belong to a midget methinks... So the main problem for me is seat width rather than seat height. I rode a Honda XRB200 around the South Island a few years ago and could only just touch the ground even with it lowered, but the bike was really skinny and only weighed about 113kg so I didn't have any problems. My RG150 was lowered (forks shot and something else done too) and I had heaps more confidence once that was done. The Beemer is a little wide and heavy for me - which is why I'm selling it. The seat height is just 780mm but the seat width is probably double the RG. I'm on tip-toes and even with a longer set of linkages, I can only just touch the balls of my feet, so I still find the weight a problem when stopping on slopes. The Goose is pretty much THE bike for me - the seat height is the same as the Beemer, but it's really narrow (not much padding in it either!) and I can get my feet almost flat. Great confidence booster - which means I'll ride it more.

Oh to be even 5'4" - what a difference that would make! My husband isn't overly tall but he has been riding for years and does a lot of dirt riding too, so he has the confidence to ride just about anything. That's the big thing - the more experience you have, the less intimidated you are by a bike's seat height.

mstriumph
12th July 2005, 14:06
sorry - only just joined .. but this is an interesting thread and no-body seems to have come at it from my point of view soooo - with your indulgence i'll add my 2 centsworth [intro over lol].

I'm 5'11"ish with probably disproportionatly long legs [and no talent for spelling whatsoever :Offtopic: ] and past trouble with accommodating my knees to fairings/ feet to pegs etc - I've often wondered if this is a large part of the reason i've stuck with classic bikes... so easy just to sliiiiide one's rearend back along the saddle and 'voila' instant fit!

justsomeguy
12th July 2005, 14:20
sorry - only just joined .. but this is an interesting thread and no-body seems to have come at it from my point of view soooo - with your indulgence i'll add my 2 centsworth [intro over lol].

I'm 5'11"ish with probably disproportionatly long legs [and no talent for spelling whatsoever :Offtopic: ] and past trouble with accommodating my knees to fairings/ feet to pegs etc - I've often wondered if this is a large part of the reason i've stuck with classic bikes... so easy just to sliiiiide one's rearend back along the saddle and 'voila' instant fit!

I'm pretty much the same as you - you'll find that after a few rides you'll adapt

Beemer
12th July 2005, 15:14
Now, if there was only some way of taking a few inches off the length of your legs and adding them to mine, we'd all be happy!

I had to be the shortest one in our family - and - apart from my brother - the only one who rides bikes. Most of my nieces and nephews are tall too - and only one rides bikes - not fair!

mstriumph
12th July 2005, 17:33
Hi Beemer ----- yep - one more indication that life isn't fair! funny 'though - I get called 'shorty' in MY family too lol

NC
12th July 2005, 17:38
The only bike I found I couldn't touch the ground was a Ducati 900ss, It was so tall.

I'm like 5'8ft

justsomeguy
12th July 2005, 20:45
Hi Beemer ----- yep - one more indication that life isn't fair! funny 'though - I get called 'shorty' in MY family too lol

Guys Death_Inc here has rather short legs - but he's easily one of the fastest most talented riders here - It's not whether your feet touch the ground it's how bad you wanna ride that bike.

Beemer
13th July 2005, 15:29
Guys Death_Inc here has rather short legs - but he's easily one of the fastest most talented riders here - It's not whether your feet touch the ground it's how bad you wanna ride that bike.

And how much experience you have - I've seen some guys not much taller than me throw large bikes around with ease. If I had started riding at 15 instead of 36, I'd probably feel a lot more comfortable on any bike - but my mother wouldn't let me have a bike! Or a tattoo. Or a kitten. Guess what I have now? Two bikes. Four tattoos. A kitten! So there, Mum!

Drew
13th July 2005, 17:58
The only bike I found I couldn't touch the ground was a Ducati 900ss, It was so tall.

I'm like 5'8ft
Your on tip toes on the RVF aint you? And you must have looked funny as fuck on Jimmys gixxer. :rofl:

NC
13th July 2005, 21:04
Your on tip toes on the RVF aint you? And you must have looked funny as fuck on Jimmys gixxer. :rofl:
It's a VFR, I can stand flat footed. AND! I can touch the ground on the Gixxer :bleh:

:motu:

P.s I looked funny on the Gixxer :wait: :lol:

FROSTY
14th July 2005, 05:50
- I've seen one bloke actually had built up boot soles and it made a heck of a difference to him he said.
As I said earlier a lot of the perceived height of a bike is in the seat --some bikes have very thick seat padding. The other thing is the way the bike is setup can make it fit a fair bit better

XP@
14th July 2005, 09:30
- I've seen one bloke actually had built up boot soles and it made a heck of a difference to him he said.
As I said earlier a lot of the perceived height of a bike is in the seat --some bikes have very thick seat padding. The other thing is the way the bike is setup can make it fit a fair bit better
Oh yeh, I had forgotten about that, I did that too!
You have to make sure they build up the instep aswell, otherwise there is too big a difference between the heel and foot.

It is a LOT cheeper than lowering your bike!

WINJA
14th July 2005, 19:01
Bout 5"10 and long legs.....:
YOUD MAKE A NICE HIJRA

Eurygnomes
15th July 2005, 15:50
I'm 5'8" with long legs too...and flexible with it (so far, no problem even if swinging leg over a box attached to the back (have no vocab today)) so I haven't had trouble getting my leg over anything yet.

I too have, not troubles, but discomfort on my GN250 - she's not the most comfortable sitting position ever - and I find myself sitting on the back of the seat so my feet are comfortable on the pegs. I can't wait till I'm allowed to go looking for 'the' bike...

jaybee180
15th July 2005, 22:51
And how much experience you have - I've seen some guys not much taller than me throw large bikes around with ease. If I had started riding at 15 instead of 36, I'd probably feel a lot more comfortable on any bike - but my mother wouldn't let me have a bike! Or a tattoo. Or a kitten. Guess what I have now? Two bikes. Four tattoos. A kitten! So there, Mum!

A woman after my own heart. I, too, wasn't allowed bikes, or tattoos. Now at 42 I have a tattoo, a bike and three cats (currently on a short life expectancy LOL - the cats that is).

My bike is currently in the shop being lowered - just to give me more control.

danb
15th July 2005, 23:46
I’m short, I’m only just flat footed on the CBR250 with my boots on. I’m not sure what going to happen when I want to upgrade but hope its going to be ok.

Aitch
16th July 2005, 15:26
A woman after my own heart. I, too, wasn't allowed bikes, or tattoos. Now at 42 I have a tattoo, a bike and three cats (currently on a short life expectancy LOL - the cats that is).

not to be pedantic, but you're only 41...... :whistle:

SARGE
26th July 2005, 10:41
hey all.. interesting thread.. i get this almost every day here at the shop. " bike's too tall.." etc..

Craig Brown ( brownie) here at Coleman's can set up most bikes to suit. give him a ring on 09 303 1786 and punch through to the workshop.

:niceone:

SDU
26th July 2005, 11:46
At 5'1"(almost) :( I am limited to what bike I get but I'm willing within reason to have it lowered.
I'm not into cruisers (maybe a stone- but too heavy) and some road bikes are almost low enough but I find it a stretch to the bars, or the seats are so wide to reach the ground comfortably. It is especially more limiting to get a dirt bikes to suit.
I was a late starter ( my Mum wouldn't let me have any fun too! Beemer) and only recently got my full licence so I find it a bit hard going, throwing a heavy bike/tractor around that I can barely hold up.
Hopefully I'll get better over time.
Now that I have pinched the Mk111 off Lemans :innocent: we will probably have to make some adjustments to it.
Guess any two wheels is better than none. I just love it that I can get out there and :ride:
Cheers
SDU

XP@
26th July 2005, 13:30
Urrr... :puke:

If you are small and have to find alternate methods of getting on and off (ie from the RHS foot peg and swinging over) then keep an eye on your side stand, I have just noticed that part of my frame has twisted and cracked where the side stand is attached. :weird:

This is due to sever side stand abuse over about 5 years, so should not happen over night... I think occasionally using the full weight of the bike on the side stand to help remove tyres from the rim may have played a little role in it too... :whistle:

The estimate for fixing it is only about $40 but I am riding like a nana at the moment... no scrapy scrapy on the pegs. :no:

Beemer
26th July 2005, 13:52
It's really good to hear about all these vertically challenged women riding bikes, makes me feel almost normal! It pisses me off that I got long arms but short legs - much rather have it the other way 'round!

At least now I have a bike that is a perfect size for me without any modifications needed - although raising the bars to a slightly more upright position is becoming more and more attractive!

At least we're not REALLY short - I have seen several women who would be lucky to claim they are 4'6" lately and I would so hate to be that short. One works in Burger King on Lambton Quay and I couldn't stop staring when I saw her - it's not often I find people shorter than me!

unhingedlizard
26th July 2005, 13:57
im 6' and 115kgs.
400 sportsbikes are not comfortable over long distance. Found that one out. TDR250n is nice due to upright riding. And being a two stroke.
Have tried GSXR600's etc but are all a bit too small. R6 is OK. Should take up yoga i guess.

mstriumph
27th July 2005, 14:17
... my childhood was easy in comparison .... on salisbury plain they let us run wild until they run us down at 15 to put shoes on us. :whistle:
I've been riding since i was 7 - still not as good as some who have been riding a much shorter time 'though.. [and still not brave enough to get a tattoo lol] - it's only as i've grown that i've had a problem with riding positions

Magua
27th July 2005, 16:33
At 6 foot I looked a little odd on my old Gn125 but it was comfortable as hell. I find myself sliding foward in the seat of the fzr but my feet touch the ground easily. Crappy seat methinks. :yes:

vifferman
27th July 2005, 16:49
I have no problems, never really thought about bike height. When I started riding, one of my mates was VERY short, and used to compensate for it by doing things like flicking the stand down as he came to a stop, then climbing off. Taking off - start the bike, let the clutch out whilst leaning to the right.

My wifey is only 155 cm or summat, but she has longish legs and a short body and neck (sort of a troll-like physique?). Anyhoo, she found a bike that she said, "Hey! This is a good bike for me. It fits!!" It was the Raptor 650 at Colemans. :yes:
One thing that did make me think of leg lenght was checking out pillion perches for comfort, as today's bikes have the pillion pegs mounted to the subframe, rather than to yesteryear's exhaust brackets (or swingarms on trailies). The result is they're rather close to the seat. OK for midgets (or troll-wives), but cramped for normal-sized humans.

Beemer
27th July 2005, 17:04
My wifey is only 155 cm or summat, but she has longish legs and a short body and neck (sort of a troll-like physique?). Anyhoo, she found a bike that she said, "Hey! This is a good bike for me. It fits!!" It was the Raptor 650 at Colemans. :yes:
One thing that did make me think of leg lenght was checking out pillion perches for comfort, as today's bikes have the pillion pegs mounted to the subframe, rather than to yesteryear's exhaust brackets (or swingarms on trailies). The result is they're rather close to the seat. OK for midgets (or troll-wives), but cramped for normal-sized humans.

I'm sure your wifey would LOVE to be described in that fashion! I've got short legs (most 10 year-olds are taller than me...) and a short body - but long arms, so most bikes are too wide/tall for me. The Cagiva 1000cc I could reach the ground on - but not the 650 for some reason!

As for pillion pegs, even with my short legs, some bikes are just so uncomfortable to pillion on that I would rather walk - like the ZX6R - talk about cramped, felt like my knees were on fire!

crashe
27th July 2005, 17:13
it's not often I find people shorter than me!

Im shorter than you. :whistle:
:rofl: :rofl:

froggyfrenchman
7th August 2005, 18:37
havin this issue with my missis. shes quite small and fears riding anything taller in the seat than her gn250. Want a gb400 to be her next bike, any ideas people?

froggyfrenchman
8th August 2005, 20:09
6'2" not an issue. the missis is stumpy though and is scared to ride anything that isnt a crusier

froggyfrenchman
8th August 2005, 20:10
sorry gn1nitestand!!!! ur nt stumpy, ur, ah ah ah um, vertically chalenged

Candyman
8th August 2005, 22:01
well I'm 6"3 and I do find that I am a bit restricted in what I choose, having said that I ride a ZZR250 and my knees are around my ears. But I did take a couple of bike out today GSXR600 was a bit of a tight fit but it could be adjusted to feel a bit better for me but not by much

Wolf
15th August 2005, 13:18
Well, I'm 5'8", but short in the leg. Legs actually belong on someone about 5'3" or so . Bloody Igor, never gets it quite right. WHY weren't the proper legs in stock, that's what I want to know.
Thorry, Marthter.

Actually, there were proper legs in stock but the corpse was a bit "ripe"

Incidentally it's not just seta heght, width of the seat is as important.
I find that - the actual seat height of my CB550 was not as much of a problem (I've ridden bikes that tall before with no problem) it was also the fact it was so wide across the seat that by the time my bowed legs touched the ground I was on the front pads of my feet and had about three inches of rearward push before my foot left the ground (not fun backing it on the flat, let alone if the front wheel was in the gutter) - could not put both feet flat on the ground.

Compare that with the Beemer I rode, which apparently is about the same seat height but narrower - I was able to firmly plant both feet on the ground, with a bend in my knees, and could roll it backwards and forwards at ease.

If I had to, I'd get a bike lowered to suit but I'd get it done by someone I'd trust to set up the suspension - like hondacmx450 who has done it before. Most of the bikes I'd like to own are fortunately low or narrow enough to suit me. A friend's CB750 is not only too wide, it is way to tall for me to touch the ground (narrowing the seat with a bit of sculpting would not work as the seat comes to just below my hip when unloaded and the frame is bloody wide.

Wolf
15th August 2005, 13:24
The Cagiva 1000cc I could reach the ground on - but not the 650 for some reason!
Some companies do weird shit like that - the BMW R100CS is quite comfortable for me to reach the ground yet the R75/5 is so tall I'd need a ladder to get onto it.

speights_bud
16th September 2005, 22:07
Well i suppose i can say i'll ride just about anything as height hasn't caused me ant problems yet :woohoo: :ride:

Wolf
30th October 2005, 09:35
Older threads than this one have been brought back from the dead...

The other day I was looking for "lowering" options for a bike I would love to own and found a great feedback site where, amongst the "I lowered my bike this way, fits great now" posts, there were a lot of posts to the effect of "don't lower the bike, learn to ride properly."

The "don't lower" posts pretty much said that seat height and getting "both feet firmly on the ground" were less important than a comfortable riding position (our taller members would no doubt concur wholeheartedly) - after all, how long do you spend stopped at lights compared with time spent riding?

One of the posters recommended an interesting site for "short bikers" (here (http://www.ki.org/sbl/)). I found the FAQ (http://www.nebcom.com/noemi/moto/sbl.faq.html) very interesting and useful. While reading the FAQ, I began to call into question a lot of my "beliefs" regarding riding.

Few situations truly require two feet. Most situations are more conveniently handled with two feet, but that doesn't preclude finding one-foot, or better yet, one-brain ways of handling them. You will develop their own methods, and in time, this will all be incorporated into your regular riding habits and you won't even think about it.

Yesterday I took a 2004 BMW F650GS Dakar for a test ride. It had the optional low seat bench which brought the unladen seat height down to 830mm from 870mm but despite this 4-centimetre drop in seat height, I could only touch the ground with the tips of my toes of both feet - at least with the CB550, which I deemed to be "too tall", I could get the balls of both feet on the ground at the same time.

This time, however, instead of deeming the bike to be "too tall", I decided to challenge my prejudices and long-held beliefs. Although only the very tips of my motorbike boots could touch the ground simultaneously, the bike's balance was perfect and I had no problem holding it upright.

As per the suggestions in the SBL FAQ, I put my left foot on the peg and slid my right buttock off the seat so I could ground my right foot solidly. It felt unusual, but I had no problems holding the bike steady.

I then went for the test ride. As I was in town for most of the test ride and I had to take a few side streets to get the bike pointed in the right direction for a short blat in the 100km/h zone, the amount of time I spent stopped at intersections and lights was disproportionately high compared with going for a decent journey on the open road - so I got a lot of opportunities to practise sliding my arse half off the seat and grounding one foot. I practised both sides - left foot on peg, right foot on higher ground (owing to camber) and right foot on brake, left foot on ground.

I took a little while to get used to planning to slide half off the seat as I came to a halt but it was not too difficult. I could tell that if I were doing it every day it would soon become second nature - no more alien to me than engaging gears or flicking a turn signal.

As to the time when I was not stopped at intersections and lights:

The seating position was comfortable (some of our taller riders might find the lowered seat a tad cramped when putting their feet up on the pegs, but the leg position was fine for me) and the bike handled superbly. It was an absolute joy being on an Enduro again, lane changes and corners were a breeze and I found myself wishing I could take it for a ride off-road.

So the upshot was, I had a great ride on a bike that I would certainly buy if I had the finances to afford it - a bike that I would have once deemed beyond consideration because of my previous self-imposed limitations.

The height of the bike and the things I had to do to work around that height when stopped were slightly "outside my comfort zone", but the actual riding of the bike was familiar territory - well and truly inside a comfort zone I have not experienced since I sold my old TS125, many years ago.

For ages I have been limited by preconceived notions and self-imposed restrictions based around a belief that I must have both feet firmly planted on the ground at the same time when stopped. This has seriously limited my scope with regard to the bikes I have chosen to ride.

I deemed the CB550 "too tall" and cursed its height rather than learning to work around its height when stopped and enjoying what was a thoroughly enjoyable bike to ride.

I bought the LS400 as it was the only >250cc bike in my price range that was "low enough" and consequently had a bike that was easy to balance when stopped but agonising to ride for more than an hour - the ride to Palmerston North and back was the stuff of nightmares.

I have eschewed Enduros, which I love to ride, for years because all the ones of a decent engine capacity were "too tall" and all the ones "low enough" were 185cc or smaller.

Not only did I find the Cruiser configuration of the LS uncomfortable, its geometry is all wrong for my riding style. The LS did not "feel right" when cornering and I could not corner like I did on my previous bikes.

Now, while I don't feel I'm quite ready for a BMW R1150GS Adventure with its 900mm unladen seat height, I feel I have more options open to me when it comes to choosing a bike.

The real "kicker" was later that night when I was thinking it over and suddenly realised how frequently I used to stop with both feet on the ground on the bikes that were "low enough" - very seldom. I realised that even when I could put both feet flat on the ground simultaneously, I usually stopped with one foot on a peg and the other on the ground. The only difference was - I didn't have to shift my arse on the seat to put my foot to the ground.

So, while there are options out there for modifying the bikes, there are also other, cheaper, ways of getting around the situation as well, even if it means learning to do things slightly differently.

Ixion
30th October 2005, 11:12
I've hardly ever had a bike where I could put both feet on the ground. To be honest I never realised when learning to ride that doing so was thought desireable. How often, as you say, does one ever do that, even when one can. IF I see someone with both feet down, I tend to assume they're a learner.

Often you don't actually need to get your arse right off the seat, just shimmy sideways so that you're sort of leaning to the side, and tilt the bike over. May make a little wiggle as you get under way, but it's no problem.

Actually, the biggest problem I have with high seat bikes is not the foot down thing, it's actually getting on them . The high seat means a very high leg swing from the ground. The way to overcome this is to mount like a horse, left foot on the nearside peg first then swing over. Just that if it goes wrong it can be very embarrassing.

Big Dave
30th October 2005, 17:55
Interesting - There isn't a bike I can't flat foot.
Even the KTM adventures are no prob.
The very tall nature of the XB12X was what first hooked me on it.

Ixion
30th October 2005, 18:11
Well, yeah, sure, but *your* Igor wasn't trying to clear out his parts bins was he?

Big Dave
30th October 2005, 18:22
Well, yeah, sure, but *your* Igor wasn't trying to clear out his parts bins was he?

Attention span could use work. The 'organised' gland isn't overly active either and the cheque book balancing gene - forgedaboutdit.
Conversely - I'm top percentile in procrastination and excuse making.

Goblin
30th October 2005, 18:32
Im happy to say at 5' 6"ish, I have never had a problem riding a tall bike. I only need to be able to get a toe down and stay ballanced.
I remember back in the late 80's there was a dwarf racing in the Castrol 6 Hour race at Manfeild, Buster Saunders (I think) who did really bloody well. Was funny as a fight to see him run along side his bike then jump on and swing a leg over. So vertically challenged people should not be put off if they cant get two feet flat on the ground.

Motu
30th October 2005, 18:47
Actually, the biggest problem I have with high seat bikes is not the foot down thing, it's actually getting on them . The high seat means a very high leg swing from the ground. The way to overcome this is to mount like a horse, left foot on the nearside peg first then swing over. Just that if it goes wrong it can be very embarrassing.

My biggest problem too,my left hip is now telling me it wasn't such a good idea to repeatedly crash on my left side at the dirt track,and maybe doing 50 laps at a time holding my leg out with a steel shoe strapped to my foot didn't help either - 15 yrs later I pay the price.I get on using the stirrup method too.

As Wolf has found out,it's only in the city you need to put your foot down - I'm happy with a toe,and only a slight shift will put my whole foot down.Off road you need to foot and mount on the uphill side....um,Murphy's Law says one day you are going to foot the lowside with disasterous results,and you with have to push the bike embarassingly somewhere else to mount.I've ridden bikes with over 900mm seats,I didn't really think about it at the time....but wouldn't think about it now.