PDA

View Full Version : First Aid Course..

Sutage
19th June 2005, 18:25
Hey

Was at the ridesafe BRONZ thing today and an incident happened.. nuff said no details really neccessary, pretty much a bike and a person were involved.
I was first to the 'scene' and i had pretty much no fucking idea what to do.. one said just leave him cuz it could be bad and the other looked dazed, luckily we had 2 nurses doing the course who managed to help before the ambulance dudes came, sorry if stepping on any toes but its important..

who would want to do a first aid course.. http://www.stjohn.org.nz/training/course.aspx?cid=100

Pretty much way i see it if we're riding on some back country road, not 100% sure on EXACT location etc etc bla bla and someone does take a tumble, we need guys there who can help him before help shows up, could just be talking for me but is it fair to say most ppl wouldnt know what to do?
just an idea, lemme know if anyone is intrested and ill ring st johns

monster
19th June 2005, 19:07
Excellent idea! I was going to sign up for a St Johns course last week when the OSH officer at work gave me a pamphlet from 'Actions for Survival'. Who are providing FREE first aid courses. (I only got info for the Auckland area, and don't know if it's nationwide.)

NZ Residents over 16 years. Its a two day course, OSH and Ministry of Education approved, comes with a workplace recognised certificate valid for two years and incorporates NZQA units 6400, 6401 & 6402 (whatever that means).

When you tell them what area you live in they give you a timetable of the local community centres that are holding courses. Days vary from place to place. My husband and I are doing Sat 8-4pm at the Massey Rd Peoples Centre on July 2 & 9th. Two days of our lives, that may one day save our lives. FOR FREE. I love it.

Contact details : info@actionsforsurvival.com or ph 09-271-2402.

zeRax
19th June 2005, 19:09
cant believe this hasnt had more replies, i think its an excellent idea, it can only help, and im sure in those unfortunate situations u'd especially wish you knew how you could help

it could mean life or death...

crashe
19th June 2005, 19:23
Just spotted this thread.

Ok if its FREE then I am in to do the course..
I did do it years ago... so a refresher would be good.

MadDuck
19th June 2005, 19:31
Frosty orgsnised a course with the HUGEST effort from Firefight and Draco and SM on first aid.

Its sure worth getting on a course but it would be better if its major incident or even bike focused. Its not just the first aid but being aware of the scene that prevents furhter accidents

XTC
19th June 2005, 22:04
I did a first aid course through work and they paid for it and pay me $9sumfin a week just to wear a green hat and hopefully be of some assistance in an emergency. I recommend everyone do a first aid course. You do not have to practise CPR on your mates (kissy kissy) they provide dummies for that.

justsomeguy
19th June 2005, 22:13
Good post Sutage - hope you're ok buddy - simplest thing to do in those situations is keep your mind active... so think of something else (if it's you) or talk to the person involved......try to remain as still as possible - while settling into as a comfortable position you can after checking/feeling for aches and pains..

I really want to do that course..... thanks for the number monster.....

Will give them a call...... RR, SM, Draco anything you'll recommend?

Spaz
19th June 2005, 23:57
I'm keen to do a first aid course. I might give Actions for Survival a bell unless someone finds an organisation who can focus more on bikes + first aid (how best to treat head wounds sounds like something ACC might want motorcyclists to know), I'd be keen to pay for that.

placidfemme
20th June 2005, 07:55
Hey

Yeah if you organise a free first aide day thingy in Auckland my partner and I are keen to come... Not a nice feeling when you know someone is hurt and you can't help.

FROSTY
20th June 2005, 08:20
we are actually well overdue for another KB first aid course.
The last one was bloody fantastic.--thanks to FF and co.
Ill see if they would be willing to do another one.

Firefight
20th June 2005, 09:07
:doctor: :doctor: :doctor: :doctor: :doctor: :doctor:

A while back we ran a first aid/ trauma (bike rider related) course, It was stated at the time that this was not a full first aid course, however most who attended got something out of it, we also included a section on CPR which of course may be needed in any situation.

I can not speak for Speedmedic or Draco, but they did say that they may be able to help do a course again, and knowing what an all round good kber Riff is, I think she would be keen to help.

However if you have the chance to do a full St Johns First aid course (and its free) I would recommend it.

So, I would be happy to oraganise a simular course like we did before.

It would be approx 3-4 hours duration.

Would be held on a week night

We would cover, basic life support (CPR) and have
CPR mankins to practice on.

Scene Safety/mangement.

Trauma

Helemt removal,, when, how, why, etc.

Bike rider first aid kits

Time for questions

Normally we would try to keep it to 10 -12 per course.

Now Glen is away in Auzzie for a couple of weeks, so nothing would happen till he gets back, then because the instructors are all shift workers, we would need a bit of time to sort when we will all be around at the same time.

Last time Frosty, kindly let us use his home, which is great for all you lot who live out west, however we may wait till we get a better idea of who wants to come before we decide where to hold the course.

I will talk to the other instructors ,In the mean time those who wish to attend this sort of course can leave some sort of indication on this thread.

F/F

Keystone19
20th June 2005, 09:37
Hiya

I was one of the nurses who helped out at yesterdays accident, I'd be happy to help out on a first aid course. Let me know if I can be useful.

justsomeguy
20th June 2005, 14:13
I'm keen to learn....

Hey FF is there anyway to shoehorn a fire extinguisher on to a bike - would you recommend anything along those lines???

Firefight
20th June 2005, 14:24
I'm keen to learn....

Hey FF is there anyway to shoehorn a fire extinguisher on to a bike - would you recommend anything along those lines???

yes you could do it, up to you, cabel ties/ bunges/or in back pack, there are plenty of small fire extingushers available, most off road shops should be able to hook you up(some forest trail rides require it on all bikes)

I would not bother myself, I don,t know of many road riders who would, but that dosn't make it a bad idea, I think I paid about NZ$30.00 for a small one for my trail bike.let me know if you do decide to get one , I will price it for you.

F/F

FROSTY
20th June 2005, 15:24
I carry a pint sized one in my race van -yep it would fit in your backpack

justsomeguy
20th June 2005, 15:27
I carry a pint sized one in my race van -yep it would fit in your backpack

Or tied to the grab rail..... don't want anything on my back apart from the jacket when I come off...... must save for a back protector next......:wait:

Oakie
20th June 2005, 15:51
If anyone gets the chance to do a first aid course they should grab it. I've done a few over the years and was very thankful I had after I was first on the scene of a a sheeptruck vs cyclist accident out in the wop-wops a few years back.
People say that they would never be able to do the stuff for real and I suppose I wondered how I'd react if the time came but as soon as I pulled up everything came back, I just went onto auto-pilot and everything just seemed to happen. I was really lucky though as a tour bus pulled up just a few minutes after I arrived, with a doctor on board.
Long story short ... we did CPR for 40 minutes before the helecopter came and took her away. Unfortunately she had massive injuries and didn't make it.

There is another side to it though. Apart from the medical side and helping someone else ... it is good for your own sanity. I was screwed up enough for weeks afterwards even though I knew I did everything I could and did it properly. I can't imagine how bad I would have felt if I didn't know what to do for those first few minutes and just watched her die at the side of the road ... ever after to wonder that if I had that basic knowledge, would it have been different?

Firefight
20th June 2005, 17:09
Or tied to the grab rail..... don't want anything on my back apart from the jacket when I come off...... must save for a back protector next......:wait:

Not dumping on your idea JSG, but if it was me, I'd be getting a back protector long before I was getting a fire extingusher.

F/F :ride:

DingDong
20th June 2005, 17:25
Cool... I've done many so wont need to go, but if I get cracked it would good to know you guys wont freeze up :cold:

From memory if you can get 15 people the cost is roughly $140 each for a three day coarse (St John) with more people I think they'll negotiate the overall price (you need to be a NZ citizen) for the special price.

justsomeguy
20th June 2005, 18:12
Not dumping on your idea JSG, but if it was me, I'd be getting a back protector long before I was getting a fire extingusher.

F/F :ride:

Oh yeah - most definitely...

The extinguisher was just a thought...... one of my cars burnt down once - fuel line started leaking fumes into the engine... luckily this was close to the Balmoral firestation so the heroes arrived in 4 minutes - at 6pm rush hour traffic!!!