PDA

View Full Version : BMW R1200gs

KITCH
28th January 2011, 11:49
Now I wasnt planning on owning one of these as I had ridden a friend's 04 r1200gs and to be honset I wasnt stunned. But when you drop on an 09 model still under a year old, a full £$3000 cheaper than all the others advertised of the same age, because the owner had already put a deposit on a new harley and the sale of his bmw had just fallen through.... Sometimes you just gotta... Ok, so to the bike itself. Are they the best thing for off roading since sliced bread??? definitely NO. Way too heavy, ABS system that means you cant stop in the loose (turning it off every time you restart the bike is a pain) and let me see, oh yes... way too flippin expensive to risk throwing down the track on its side if we are being realsitic!!! Is it the most comfy touring bike on the planet? Perhaps so... the seat is excellent, supportive without being soggy, still good on the arse after 6 hours or more in the saddle. Riding position that is ideal for mile munching, screen and handguards that keep you warm and dry. Heated grips, engrossing computer dashboard functions that keep you mesmerised all the way up the back of the slow moving truck.. then the excellent brakes are handy.
Handling is , has to be said, very very good for what the bike is. Once its moving, you can throw it absolutely anywhere, slow or fast. I have ground various bits off either side due to the ease with which you can lean these bikes over in spirited cornering. The suspension gives you a very confidence inspiring feel, always being composed and crisply holding a line through a bend. Its not as sophisticated as some, but it works well.

So why am I still not impressed? One word; agricultural. The drive train could be out of an 80's Guzzi. The gearbox is much better than the old boxers, but its still nothing in comparison with a modern Jap box. The drive line is lifted straight off a ww2 panzer tank, or so it feels. Dont forget this is a nearly new bike with 15000km on the clock, so should be perfect. Another gripe was the hit and miss nature of the fueling. SOOOOOO dependant on atmospherioc conditions as to whether it would be smooth or stuttering like a pig thats just eaten a bag full of chillis and is working out just how to scream its pain to the world. I had this thing back to BMW 3 times to try and set it up properly. I would do this myself, but the buggers have you tied over a log like a certain scene in Deliverance if its still under warranty... Oh no sir, they're all like that. Hmmmm.
Maybe its just me being ultra-picky, but lets face it. If you spend a SHED load on a bike, you expect it to be absolutely perfect and a joy to ride. You DO NOT put up with crap running and put a brave face on it because "they are all like that"... Yes the R1200GS is an excellent tourer, yes its good on fuel and its very comfy as long as you dont go rampaging down a rocky track. It will do a rocky track, but at a walking pace and tottering along with your balls retracted in case you drop it and have to risk finding out how much the new bits are. It is very good at carrying a lot of luggage, pillions etc without noticing it, but as for it being the best adventure bike? Depends on whether you want your adventure to be down the beach road to a few bars, or battling through swamps, over mountains etc... which some luntatics do do on these bikes. Give me a big jap single for that kind of thing every time. The complex rear transmisionn on the r1200 is not bombproof - mine sprang an oil seal under warranty and had never been abused, and I have heard tales of bearing failures and complete melt downs... you cant change the transmision fluid as BMW say its lubed for life.. My arse!!!! Somehting like an XT600 can have new wheel bearings, swing arm bushes, a whole chain and sprocket set, and a new back tyre for about the same price as an official bmw engine oil change. And it can be done anywhere with minimal tools. Go figure just how much you DIDNT see on the Long Way Down... from what I hear there was a LOT of behind the scenes repair work going on.

Ok, enough ranting. Basically the R1200GS is good at road touring and as long as you are prepared to accept that it is not perfect and will break down sooner or later, then yes it will go round the world. But so will a lot of other bikes that are cheaper, lighter, easier to work on, and less likely to get people thinking you are loaded with cash and really ought to be robbed. I sold mine, never having been fully pleased with it, and shaking my head about the fact they could have got it spot on if they had asked Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, or Honda about how to make a nice smooth shaft drive, and make a bike fuel smoothly all the time. My girlfriends 1993 750 virago was more of a pleasure to ride.

Gremlin
28th January 2011, 12:09
Fair enough, in contrast I've just bought an R1200GSA, as nothing else would do everything I needed

KITCH
28th January 2011, 12:28
Dont think I am setting out to criticise, its just that having had LOT of bikes, (i lost count at 300 ten years ago) I think I know what i am looking for and what to expect. Perhaps I got a duff one, but I realy did try to get it as sweet as I thought it ought to be and couldnt. I recently had a 97 Tiger 885, and that handled very well, was much smoother and seemed faster in real terms, the only failing being the brakes.

Gremlin
28th January 2011, 17:18
Nah, fair enough is that everyone has their own opinion, based on their experience. If we all loved only one bike, it would be a boring world.

One thing I've learned from owning bikes so far, is that there is no perfect bike (well, unless your list of needs is very short), and therefore, you have to make compromises.

I wouldn't buy a sportsbike to ride thousands of km and carry luggage, nor would I commute in heavy traffic only, on a GSA.

BMWST?
28th January 2011, 18:51
Dont think I am setting out to criticise, its just that having had LOT of bikes, (i lost count at 300 ten years ago) I think I know what i am looking for and what to expect. Perhaps I got a duff one, but I realy did try to get it as sweet as I thought it ought to be and couldnt. I recently had a 97 Tiger 885, and that handled very well, was much smoother and seemed faster in real terms, the only failing being the brakes.

i am baffled to why you bought it.....no one in their right minds really think these are off road bikes,and the other stuff you complain about would have been apparent in a test ride.

AllanB
28th January 2011, 19:08
What a refreshingly honest review.

KITCH
28th January 2011, 21:22
i am baffled to why you bought it.....no one in their right minds really think these are off road bikes,and the other stuff you complain about would have been apparent in a test ride.

Plain and simple one word answer, economics. I bought it because it was way cheaper than it should have been, ran it hard for 8 or 9 months, and sold it for a tidy profit even after taking servicing etc into consideration. Seriously better fun than having money in the bank. Win Win situation :D

KITCH
28th January 2011, 21:29
Nah, fair enough is that everyone has their own opinion, based on their experience. If we all loved only one bike, it would be a boring world.

One thing I've learned from owning bikes so far, is that there is no perfect bike (well, unless your list of needs is very short), and therefore, you have to make compromises.

I wouldn't buy a sportsbike to ride thousands of km and carry luggage, nor would I commute in heavy traffic only, on a GSA.

To be honest one of the very best all round bikes i have ever had was a 1990 Honda cb1, the little 400 four that uses a cbr400r motor in a shrunken Hornet style chassis and body. Ultra tough motor, very sweet handling and brakes, 200 - 250km tank range, cruise at 160kmh if you wanted to, and be comfy all day on any roads. Im sure it would go everywhere a big adventure bike would if you put knoblies on it, just be a lot rougher ride :D

Gremlin
28th January 2011, 23:51
250km range isn't enough for me. I had 400km before reserve and wasn't really that happy. The GSA will do 500km+ before reserve :D I wanted a tourer that could handle at pace, and then still go exploring forests etc. Not much left in the way of options.

Big Dave
29th January 2011, 15:24
Interesting thing is I rode two examples last year (brand new units) and pretty much entirely disagree with the stated issues.
The fuel injection was first rate - notably so - and there was no dive train slop. Tight as a jap shaftie.

I even gave it my bike of the year the all round package is so good now.

Devil
29th January 2011, 15:32
I have an 06 GSA, and have never had any issue with the fueling. The shaft drive is fine, you can change the final drive fluid yourself. Mines never broken down and I dont expect it to either.

It goes far enough off road for me.
It stops just fine in the loose with the ABS on, so well in fact that I always leave the ABS on when i'm on gravel and loose stuff.

The servicing costs for me have been cheap as chips. Cheaper than both the KTM and Triumph which I bought brand new.

Sounds like yours was munted.

I've just done another lap of the South Island and cant believe how fantastic it performed.

KITCH
29th January 2011, 20:21
Well I must have had a friday afternoon special then. A large part of the point I am trying to make here is that whilst the R1200GS is a good bike, it is not the ONLY good bike out there, and has its failings, as they all do. I know a couple of blokes who have done some serious voyages... the long way round route for example; mongolia, siberia, alaska, the works. They did that one on a pair of new Yamaha teneres, having decided against KTM990 adventures due to weight, complexity, and probably fragility in the case of a spill. The Yams were good, but both needed engine work under warranty during the trip, with the cam chain clattering about on one, and piston ring failure on the other. Supposedly, ideal adventure bikes. There is no PERFECT choice, you just have to remain unprejudiced by brand or the legends that arise around certain bikes. All manufacturers make some good machines and some duff ones... I will never understand the Harley rider who spits on a Jap bike becuase its not a Harley, or the sport bike rider who scoffs at an Indian Enfield 350 because it cant do 250kmh.
All bikes have one thing in common; the ability to inspire and make you and your day that bit more special.

Smifffy
29th January 2011, 20:33
All bikes have one thing in common; the ability to inspire and make you and your day that bit more special.

And some even let you turn a profit :msn-wink:

MaxCannon
29th January 2011, 21:22
I have the R1200S
Same basic package but they've squeezed out 122Bhp and shaved off the weight where possible.

On the fueling - it was OK when I got it but not perfect.
At first service a new map was installed and low end response improved a great deal.
The only real issue I've had was a throttle balance problem causing hesitance at 4K RPM.

Servicing costs me less than what I used to get charged on my Suzukis (and the shit box Kwaka I owned for 6 months).