Was probably speeding too...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10702501

JimO
28th January 2011, 15:34
its a cop allright, commie on steel rims is a giveaway

Smifffy
28th January 2011, 16:46
I thought the popo had an exemption?

Would have definitely been communicating information of operational significance.

I'm all for holding officers accountable to the same standards as the rest of us are forced to adhere to, but given the other crap some of them do, this hardly rates a mention.

cs363
28th January 2011, 16:49

Yep - exactly what I said to a mate that emailed me this 'Not a cop my arse - I'm not aware of any other government department that uses Commodore Berlinas on steel rims with FE2 (sports) suspension (evident by the ride height)' :lol:

Smifffy
28th January 2011, 16:49

Dumb ass nark should have got a shot of the plate too. Now it's just his word against the police (where have I heard that before?)

Berg
28th January 2011, 16:51
Another bit of media sensationalism. Police have an exemption when on the phone for police purposes.:Police:
Oh, and I have more respect and refuse to call them "popo". One of the police killed in Porirua was murdered by a cock named Popo.

cs363
29th January 2011, 11:37
It would be less news worthy if they hadn't denied it - if they'd just 'yes, it was an police officer, using the phone in the line of duty (as per above exemption)' nobody would have given a rats behind.

It's a bit like that :tugger: Martin Devlin and the name suppression - if he hadn't got his name suppressed the story would have been small and disappeared within a day or two.

Smifffy
29th January 2011, 11:41
It would be less news worthy if they hadn't denied it - if they'd just 'yes, it was an police officer, using the phone in the line of duty (as per above exemption)' nobody would have given a rats behind.

It's a bit like that :tugger: Martin Devlin and the name suppression - if he hadn't got his name suppressed the story would have been small and disappeared within a day or two.

Yeah, but the popo have to be right all of the time.

This is a small story and it will go away.

Can anybody recommend a good source of investigative journalism in NZ?

cs363
29th January 2011, 11:47
Yeah, but the popo have to be right all of the time.

This is a small story and it will go away.

Can anybody recommend a good source of investigative journalism in NZ?

Too true in many cases. Investigative journalism, well there's these guys: http://www.investigatemagazine.com/ ........dunno if I'd rate them as high as 'good' though... :lol:

Smifffy
29th January 2011, 11:52
Too true in many cases. Investigative journalism, well there's these guys: http://www.investigatemagazine.com/ ........dunno if I'd rate them as high as 'good' though... :lol:

Thanks. Yeah I meant better than that.

NZ Journalism: Receive press release, or pic from the public and print.

NZ Investigative Journalism: Receive press release, or pic from the public, ring up source, ask if it's true, run it past a lawyer and then print.

cs363
29th January 2011, 11:58
Thanks. Yeah I meant better than that.

NZ Journalism: Receive press release, or pic from the public and print.

NZ Investigative Journalism: Receive press release, or pic from the public, ring up source, ask if it's true, run it past a lawyer and then print.

:lol: Yes...nicely summed up!

It seems we don't tend to get true investigative journalism here, probably because of the size of the country and no one wants to upset anyone too much, generally for commercial reasons when it comes to the media.
Ever notice how when any of the NZ bike mags test bikes or products there's hardly ever a truly negative report?
Don't want to lose those advertising $$$, and I guess you can't blame them as they need to make a living.

spacemonkey
29th January 2011, 12:52
The thing with investigative journalism is that it's really really expensive to do.
And the finished product is often due to the complexity of the case a difficult to follow analysis that puts people off reading.
When I was working for Fairfax in Northland we once did an investigative story, we ended up as finalists in the annual Qantas Media Awards for investigative journalism but it burnt up so much of our annual budget for no advertising gain we were rooted for the rest of the financial year, and as a result never did it again!

The big players in News media are massive multinational corporations with an obsessive fixation on the bottom line.
Short version is.... Focusing on investigative journalism is considered the corporate highway to hell (hell being bankruptcy).
A few outlets still do the odd bit of investigative work but it is only done as an occasional thing in order to protect the brand, such as what ACP's North and South used to do in the late 90's/early 2000's.

A reasonable quality small player these days is http://www.scoop.co.nz/
Not as much investigative work is done there these days but the comentators still do very good analysis of the issues. :yes:
Other than that you'd be best to turn to the world of bloggers!
Personal blogging faves for me would be;
http://publicaddress.net/
http://www.kiwipolitico.com/
http://dimpost.wordpress.com/

scumdog
29th January 2011, 16:01
Another bit of media sensationalism. Police have an exemption when on the phone for police purposes.:Police:

And Police cars NEVER get sold off...and EVERYBODY that wears a blue shirt with some type of shoulder patch is obviously a cop...:shifty::rolleyes:

Smifffy
29th January 2011, 16:07
And Police cars NEVER get sold off...and EVERYBODY that wears a blue shirt with some type of shoulder patch is obviously a cop...:shifty::rolleyes:

Yeah I did wonder whether it was another one of those Walter Mitty types that had picked up a car at auction, and got himself either a police or customs shirt from a locker room or clothesline somewhere.

There seems to be one pop up in Auckland every few years.

I still think it was most likely a cop tho.

Big whoop de doo, I'd still rather he was doing that, than any number of other things, particularly sudden lane changes or U-turns.

rustic101
29th January 2011, 16:41
Yep - exactly what I said to a mate that emailed me this 'Not a cop my arse - I'm not aware of any other government department that uses Commodore Berlinas on steel rims with FE2 (sports) suspension (evident by the ride height)' :lol:

Beyond reasonable doubt springs to mind - How about a Ministry of Fisheries member who have an almost identical Coat of Arms and some just happen to drive Comods.... ;)

Swoop
15th February 2011, 13:43
And Police cars NEVER get sold off...and EVERYBODY that wears a blue shirt with some type of shoulder patch is obviously a cop...
Presumably they remove the police radio and aerial (on the boot lid) before selling them off though.

cheshirecat
15th February 2011, 18:14
Presumably they remove the police radio and aerial (on the boot lid) before selling them off though.
and donut remains

baptist
15th February 2011, 21:32
Beyond reasonable doubt springs to mind - How about a Ministry of Fisheries member who have an almost identical Coat of Arms and some just happen to drive Comods.... ;)

Comments like that could spoil a good thread...:rolleyes:

Kornholio
15th February 2011, 22:13
Was planting maize in a roadside paddock a couple of months ago and a Highway Patrol car drove past... Driver was talkin on the phone with one hand and waved at me with the other :blink: Look ma, no hands! :gob: