PDA

View Full Version : Not putting a vehicle in your name?

racefactory
28th January 2011, 23:01
Bearing in mind the possible consequences of anyone able to track down your address with your license plate, is there any drawback for the owner of a motorcycle to put the vehicle in someone else's name or not putting the vehicle in their name?

blackdog
28th January 2011, 23:02
apart from it being fraud?

racefactory
28th January 2011, 23:04
Yes that's right.

blackdog
28th January 2011, 23:09
Yes that's right. I don't care about that...

the upside is the other person is going to get your camera tickets

the downside is the next time after that you get pulled up you get done for fraud

be my guest and try it out, i'll look forward to your next post from mount eden

racefactory
28th January 2011, 23:09
But you can just say it's not your bike?

I've been stopped in cars and bikes not in my name before. No issue.

blackdog
28th January 2011, 23:13
But can't you say it's not your bike?

I've been stopped in other people's cars and bikes before. No issue.

It will be an issue if it's flagged in the system as being fraudulently registered.

racefactory
28th January 2011, 23:14
I see. How does it get fraudulently registered?

blackdog
28th January 2011, 23:16
I see. How does it get fraudulently registered?

ok, i'll spell this out for you

the 'registered' owner gets a letter telling them it's time to pay license fees and/or your camera fines

they say i have never been the owner of this vehicle... see where i'm going?

besides you have to provide a drivers license to change a vehicles ownership

racefactory
28th January 2011, 23:19
What are you talking about? That is not possible without stealing the driver license number from someone.

I'm simply talking about a friend who doesn't stay at the real vehicles address. That or not changing the ownership from when the vehicle is bought and leaving it in the old owners name?

I have actually forgotten to change ownership of a motorcycle for nearly an entire year once... had no issue.

blackdog
28th January 2011, 23:25
well, if yo mamma wants the reponsibility no worries. it also means you don't mind your friend/family members place being broken into instead of yours (the whole point of your thread right?)

you may run into insurance hiccups too, but i know you can't insure your bike/s anyway

when you say consequences are you talking about theft or retribution for your actions (you been pissing off the mob?)? either way not nice for your so called 'friend'

Gremlin
28th January 2011, 23:43
You have to be the registered owner of the vehicle to normally get insurance. Some insurance will be cheaper if its solo rider, ie, just owner.

You can register the vehicle to a different address, I do, and you can now also opt out of having your details accessible to all and sundry. Its not running yet, but will be shortly, and you can already choose the opt out in the online NZTA transaction centre.

racefactory
28th January 2011, 23:45
well, if yo mamma wants the reponsibility no worries. it also means you don't mind your friend/family members place being broken into instead of yours (the whole point of your thread right?)

you may run into insurance hiccups too, but i know you can't insure your bike/s anyway

when you say consequences are you talking about theft or retribution for your actions (you been pissing off the mob?)? either way not nice for your so called 'friend'

All of my posts are of a hypothetical sense.

You have to be the registered owner of the vehicle to normally get insurance. Some insurance will be cheaper if its solo rider, ie, just owner.

You can register the vehicle to a different address, I do, and you can now also opt out of having your details accessible to all and sundry. Its not running yet, but will be shortly, and you can already choose the opt out in the online NZTA transaction centre.

Many thanks for the info. Going to find that transaction centree now.

Max Preload
29th January 2011, 02:26
False address, mailing address to a PO Box. It's what I've done for the last decade or so.

hellokitty
29th January 2011, 06:13
But you can just say it's not your bike?

I've been stopped in cars and bikes not in my name before. No issue.

My husband has been pulled over on his bike several times and questioned why he is a riding a "woman's" bike. Who is he in relation to the woman that the bike is registered to? They even called me at work. These cops have an issue with it. The bike is in my name as the finance is in my name. This is becoming a regular thing so I am changing the rego into his name.
Don't give the cops the chance to accuse you of stealing the car or bike. If my husband had been a smart-arse, the situation could have turned ugly.

miloking
29th January 2011, 06:36
What Max said + having the ownership in yor mums name (thats what mommies are for, lol)...also very handy if you ride while suspended/disqualified....as when a cop runs a rego check while following the vehicle, he doenst get a "red" flag from comms about disqualy owner....

Berg
29th January 2011, 06:51
Apply to the transport registry center in Palmy North for confidential reg status. You have to have a valid reason (not having a licence etc is not a valid reason) but it's easier than the hassle of registering it in somebody elses name. I have a reason and all my vehicles are on confidential status

racefactory
29th January 2011, 09:58
False address, mailing address to a PO Box. It's what I've done for the last decade or so.

I will see just how confidential this new opt out thing is, otherwise I'll do the same.

HenryDorsetCase
29th January 2011, 10:44
apart from it being fraud?

so anyone who has a vehicle registered to their company commits fraud?

yeah, right.

BMWST?
29th January 2011, 11:02
you are joking...they dont give a toss about the status of the license of the person who owns the bike....Just the status of the license of the person who is riding it...

the downsides of having a vehicle registred in someone elses name...i hope they are trustworthy...

BMWST?
29th January 2011, 11:03

yeah, right.

no because the company does own said vehicle right?

davereid
29th January 2011, 11:13
no because the company does own said vehicle right?

There is no longer any relationship between the "registered owner" and the actual person who holds title to the vehicle.

The registered owner is the person responsible for the payment of licence fees, infringements and tolls.

Confidential status is seldom offered unless you can prove a real threat to your safety. You wont get it because you want to be "private" or because you think a criminal may steal your Harley.

You have to show a bill or receipt to establish your address when you update your drivers licence. But 5 minutes later you can go back on line and change it to anything you wish.

The motor vehicle register is also shared with the electoral office who cross match with the electoral roll.

jimichelle
29th January 2011, 11:40
but I have put my address down as my parents address
and all corrospondence to a post office box
I get all corrospondence regs fines etc
and the powers at be get a pysical address
win win situation

Shadows
29th January 2011, 11:43
You can get away with using your employer's address. Just use your correct name so that you can be contacted by mail and the "authorities" can find you using other records.

So long as they know who you are and there is a way to contact you they don't mind too much. That's what the cops do with their private vehicles. If it's good enough for them, then it's good enough for everybody else.

p.dath
29th January 2011, 12:19
I now someone who used to use the address of their local Police station as the registered address.

BMWST?
29th January 2011, 12:27
There is no longer any relationship between the "registered owner" and the actual person who holds title to the vehicle.

The registered owner is the person responsible for the payment of licence fees, infringements and tolls.

Confidential status is seldom offered unless you can prove a real threat to your safety. You wont get it because you want to be "private" or because you think a criminal may steal your Harley.

You have to show a bill or receipt to establish your address when you update your drivers licence. But 5 minutes later you can go back on line and change it to anything you wish.

The motor vehicle register is also shared with the electoral office who cross match with the electoral roll.

I dont think "registered owner" has ever meant/proved legal ownership but this seems to be what everybody beleives.I guess for thsoe who buy from a dealer the agreement of sale is actually proof of ownership.

blackdog
29th January 2011, 14:06

yeah, right.

I see nothing in the OP that mentions putting it in a company's name. To do this you need an LTSA number, gained by providing them with your companies certification. That would not be fraud.

Pick up yer game HDC you are a much better troll than that.

Max Preload
29th January 2011, 14:28
no because the company does own said vehicle right?Not necessarily. Registered owner and legal owner are not the same thing. Lease vehicles are registered in the leasee's name but they're owned by the leassor.

Edit: Oops, should have checked the second page first as I see it's been covered that registered owner and legal title are not the same thing.

racefactory
29th January 2011, 18:23

If that's the case then from a personal standing, there are no disadvantages to avoid putting the vehicle into your name? When getting pulled over can you be done in for this or is there always a catch 22 that can be played?

Disclaimer: I am in no means advocating such behavior to contravene any laws, merely speculating. I am not responsible for anyone who wishes to make actions based on my posts.

cheshirecat
31st January 2011, 18:07
Put it in the cat's name.

hellokitty
31st January 2011, 18:16
Put it in Cat's name.

Hey! Thats what my husband did - but I changed it back to his name! He got sick of people saying he didn't look like a woman called Cat.

racefactory
1st February 2011, 14:31
So what if you have bought a vehicle a good while ago and never put it into your name and neither did the seller? Are there any legal experts that could shed light here?

Gremlin
1st February 2011, 17:24
Not a legal expert, but if neither buyer or seller have submitted the relevant paperwork, then the vehicle hasn't changed ownership. The rules do state you have to do it, but until you have, the old owner would be receiving infringements etc.

Sable
2nd February 2011, 08:33
Register it under a company with a PO box. Saves it being linked to anyone

ttmadness
2nd February 2011, 08:59
Register it under a company with a PO box. Saves it being linked to anyone

I'd imagine if the local constabulary pulled you over though, they'd say you had stolen it. Also, the company you registered it under would possibly be receiving a lot of correspondence and fines that are not intended for them and being held responsible? That would cause mayhem I would think.

avgas
2nd February 2011, 09:38
I will give anyone my details, and you can put the vehicle in my name.

All I require in return is a copy of the keys and the location of the vehicle.

Then I turn up to your place, and drive away with my new car / bike. If you follow me I call the cops and say your trying to steal my vehicle. You go to jail, I get your vehicle. Win-Win.

I see no problem at with this. Who's first?

Max Preload
2nd February 2011, 10:02
I'd imagine if the local constabulary pulled you over though, they'd say you had stolen it. Also, the company you registered it under would possibly be receiving a lot of correspondence and fines that are not intended for them and being held responsible? That would cause mayhem I would think.You misunderstand.

Max Preload
2nd February 2011, 10:05
I will give anyone my details, and you can put the vehicle in my name.

All I require in return is a copy of the keys and the location of the vehicle.

Then I turn up to your place, and drive away with my new car / bike. If you follow me I call the cops and say your trying to steal my vehicle. You go to jail, I get your vehicle. Win-Win.

I see no problem at with this. Who's first?

There is no longer any relationship between the "registered owner" and the actual person who holds title to the vehicle. Sounds good to me. Then I can park my unlicensed unwarranted car in the CBD you'll get all the tickets! A couple of months of that and you'll be getting a torrent of love letters from the Auckland Council! Being stationary vehicle offences they become the registered owner's problem, nott he drivers.

Where do I sign up for this money saving scheme?

avgas
2nd February 2011, 10:29
Sounds good to me. Then I can park my unlicensed unwarranted car in the CBD you'll get all the tickets! A couple of months of that and you'll be getting a torrent of love letters from the Auckland Council! Being stationary vehicle offences they become the registered owner's problem, nott he drivers.

Easy solved for me in 1 day. I reckon I can make a good hundy out of the whole deal
http://www.jpnzautoparts.co.nz/?gclid=CMini9qA6KYCFSJ0gwodJEPz0A

Oh..... did you want to keep your car?

Max Preload
2nd February 2011, 11:13
Easy solved for me in 1 day. I reckon I can make a good hundy out of the whole deal
http://www.jpnzautoparts.co.nz/?gclid=CMini9qA6KYCFSJ0gwodJEPz0A

Oh..... did you want to keep your car?You misunderstand. I won't give you my REAL address. I'm not that silly. If the NZTA can't get it out of me, you certainly haven't a snowflake's chance in hell!

Not to mention you'll only be the registered owner, which does not give you legal title to even possess, much less scrap, it!

Enjoy your unlawful taking charge!

kiwiasylum
2nd February 2011, 21:23
A new law will come into effect on 1 April 2011 that will better protect your personal information on the Motor Vehicle Register. Currently, the names and addresses held on the Motor Vehicle Register are publicly available to any person who provides the registration plate number of the vehicle and pays the prescribed fee.

After 1 April names and addresses from the register will only be available for the purposes of: enforcement of the law; maintenance of the security of New Zealand; collection of charges imposed or authorised by an enactment; and the administration and development of transport law and policy. Anyone who wishes to obtain names and addresses held on the register outside of these purposes will have to make an Official Information Act request to the NZTA. When considering such a request the NZTA must weigh up the public interest in releasing the information sought against the privacy rights of the person concerned.

Alternatively any person may seek a special 'authorisation' from the Secretary for Transport . These third parties authorised by the Ministry of Transport will have access to your name and address details via your vehicle registration plates. For further information please go to http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/registration-licensing/information.html

You can revoke this access here.

You will need:

* your New Zealand driver licence
* a note of your vehicle's registration plate number(s)

Please note:

Your request to Opt-Out will not become effective until 1 April 2011 when the new law comes into effect

if you are a joint owner your details will be automatically be withheld if the primary owner opts-out

this option is not available for companies or other corporate bodies

racefactory
3rd February 2011, 00:36
No thanks, I just won't put them in my name from now on full stop. I'm still the legal owner.

jaykay
3rd February 2011, 05:04
The Registered owner ends up being responsible for Infringements by post, ie parking and speed cam tickets have to be dealt with.
You can only get out of this responsibility when some other entity becomes the registered owner (or the vehicle is scrapped).

The registered owner is not necessarily the legal owner.

racefactory
3rd February 2011, 12:48
So what if you buy a vehicle and then never put it in your name? Can you be ticketed for this?

avgas
3rd February 2011, 13:56
The registered owner is not necessarily the legal owner.
Explain to me whom is then?
And what evidence they have to provide in court to prove this?

marty
3rd February 2011, 17:30
My husband has been pulled over on his bike several times and questioned why he is a riding a "woman's" bike. Who is he in relation to the woman that the bike is registered to? They even called me at work. These cops have an issue with it. The bike is in my name as the finance is in my name. This is becoming a regular thing so I am changing the rego into his name.
Don't give the cops the chance to accuse you of stealing the car or bike. If my husband had been a smart-arse, the situation could have turned ugly.

just put it into co-registered owner. there's a box on the MRwhatever to fill out.

Coldrider
3rd February 2011, 17:37
Explain to me whom is then?
And what evidence they have to provide in court to prove this?MR3 Certificate of Registration states:
This certificate shows that ownership has been transferred into your name and does not constitute legal ownwership.

A cash receipt is what would be valid for me.

Crazy Steve
3rd February 2011, 18:13
Sounds good to me. Then I can park my unlicensed unwarranted car in the CBD you'll get all the tickets! A couple of months of that and you'll be getting a torrent of love letters from the Auckland Council! Being stationary vehicle offences they become the registered owner's problem, nott he drivers.

Not to mention the speed camera fines and everyone that I bump in to at Pak'n save Car park and never leave my details..

Also every time I use Wilson parking and leave without paying the registered owner will get the bill every time ! !

Crazy Steve.

racefactory
3rd February 2011, 20:15
If this is really the case then there must be some sort of fine or prevention for leaving it in someone else's name?

Motu
3rd February 2011, 20:40
I left my cars name under the previous owner for over 4 years.There was a debt on the vehicle,the finance company cleared it into my possession,but wouldn't lift the debt over the vehicle.The vehicle has little value,and after not being repossessed in 4 years,finally decided to put it in my name.I hadn't paid the rego for nearly a year,and now the unpaid rego is on the previous owner too.He did a runner to OZ,owns nothing but debt,and is probably dead by now (he was in his '70's)

racefactory
3rd February 2011, 21:23
That's interesting. Did you ever get pulled over by popo and if so what did you tell them?

Motu
3rd February 2011, 22:51
No,never...and if I did I'd just say it was my uncles car,and give them the name and address.I don't know about speeding or parking tickets....as I never had any sent to my address.I never leave anything in the car,in case it's not there when I come back.

Max Preload
4th February 2011, 00:31
If this is really the case then there must be some sort of fine or prevention for leaving it in someone else's name?$500 each for the former registered owner and the new registered owner.
(http://tinyurl.com/6fcocgj)

ttmadness
9th February 2011, 09:14
shite that's harsh as!!

Max Preload
9th February 2011, 10:58
Yeah, but I've never heard of it being enforced. Probably because it's too hard to prove in many cases.

blackdog
9th February 2011, 11:34
as an aside

i sold the wifes audi, to a young fella on an OE. the conditions of sale (price was discounted to reflect this) that he was to pay the registration update as it had expired a few months earlier when we finished using it.

good little boy he was, went straight to the PO, changed the ownership, and registered the car.

they automatically gave him his reg from time of purchase, not from the time of expiry, and sent me the bill for the balance.

i'm still chasing the little fucker up

Reckless
9th February 2011, 11:57
A new law will come into effect on 1 April 2011 .................................

hopefully it will really work and a false Id or license will still not get them the info they looking for!! We are dealing with crims here!!

Yeah, but I've never heard of it being enforced. Probably because it's too hard to prove in many cases.

Hopefully this is the case Max!!

In my case!
My sister owns my road bike and I have it insured for me to ride!! (because of my marriage shit goin on). So I'm not the legal owner but am the insured rider and have been pulled up, haven't had a problem!!

My classic bike used to be registered to my PO box for many years (physical and post addresses) but they refused not to put a physical address on last time around! Stuff that! So now as below

Now that brings me to my MX bikes (and now joined by the classic)!
My car & trailer are registered to an empty lot down the road as I didn't want some poor pricks house broken into when someone sees 20K worth of MX bikes on the back of the ute, takes my rego on the motorway and walks into the post office with their false Id, pays the $3.50 and gets my address without even having to follow me home!! Mailing address still the PO box so I get the fines and rego reminders.

Nothing I own has my true physical address I ain't losing my Z1R because of their fucked up system
(even if originally they are only after the MX bikes)!
They can come get me, fine me or whatever I don't give a shit!!

PS: Oh and all of the cops I know that ride register their bikes to their work place ie the cop shop!
If that ain't proof the system is crap I don't know what is!!!

avgas
9th February 2011, 12:05
MR3 Certificate of Registration states:
This certificate shows that ownership has been transferred into your name and does not constitute legal ownwership.

A cash receipt is what would be valid for me.
Hmmm interesting.
The website states otherwise
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/transact/