PDA

View Full Version : DNS or blocked site or something issues

bogan
30th January 2011, 17:17
I been having issues with getting to www.hawkgtforum.com for a wee while now, doesn't go through around 80% of the time at home, and around half the time at uni. Fucked round with some different DNS stuff today, no result, opera returns a 'Connection closed by remote server' error, other browsers don't get to it either. The site is up and running cos if I use an in-browser proxy site it gets there fine, and I PM'd a mod an nobody else is having issues with it either.

Any help would be much appreciated, as it's a fucking awesome site :D

Gubb
30th January 2011, 17:23
I can't get to it either.

paturoa
30th January 2011, 17:50
Thats OK - I can't get to Kiwibiker!

I've had to go via a proxy to get this far. freemenet.com

gonzo_akl
30th January 2011, 17:59
works for me.

bogan
30th January 2011, 18:04
I can't get to it either.

yeh, tis a bastard of a problem to have, thanks for confirming that it's not just me

Thats OK - I can't get to Kiwibiker!

I've had to go via a proxy to get this far. freemenet.com

That get good speeds? the proxies i use usually go real slow and fuck out after a while (kinda like kawasakis :whistle:)

works for me.

what isp and DNS you got?

gonzo_akl
30th January 2011, 18:10
I'm a telecom (xtra) broadband customer, so just using their standard DNS.
I tried with both chrome and IE8 no problems with either

bogan
30th January 2011, 18:18
I'm a telecom (xtra) broadband customer, so just using their standard DNS.
I tried with both chrome and IE8 no problems with either

just put them in there, still no luck, must not be a DNS issue then...

paturoa
30th January 2011, 18:29
That get good speeds? the proxies i use usually go real slow and fuck out after a while (kinda like kawasakis :whistle:)

A little slower, but not too bad. About the difference between a good zook and a kwaka.

paturoa
30th January 2011, 18:30
Well, magic. Working again at zook speed (warp!)

gonzo_akl
30th January 2011, 18:32
according to my router the DNS address is 202.27.158.40 if that helps. I use my work laptop that has some security programs in use but it doesn't seem to filter too many sites.

bogan
30th January 2011, 18:34
according to my router the DNS address is 202.27.158.40 if that helps. I use my work laptop that has some security programs in use but it doesn't seem to filter too many sites.

yeh thats what I've got now, can't imagine it is local software, as it happens on my massey computer, my home computer, and my laptop, and the problems started occuring with all of them at the same time.

Gubb
30th January 2011, 18:54
FWIW I just tried again, and managed to get it first pop.

Wierd issue.

YellowDog
30th January 2011, 19:40
Seems to work OK for me.

Try clearing your DNS:

1.Open the Start menu.
2.Go to Run.
3.In the Run text box, type: ipconfig /flushdns
4.Press Enter or Return, and your cache will be flushed.

p.dath
31st January 2011, 07:32
Works for me.

If you get "connection closed" then you do not have a DNS issue. It means your browser established a TCP connection to the server, and that connection was closed without returning any data.

Either something blocked your connection (like a firewall), or the server simply closed your connection because it was having a problem.

bogan
31st January 2011, 08:59
Works for me.

If you get "connection closed" then you do not have a DNS issue. It means your browser established a TCP connection to the server, and that connection was closed without returning any data.

Either something blocked your connection (like a firewall), or the server simply closed your connection because it was having a problem.

sounds like the later as it sometimes goes through all good, any way to fix it?