PDA

View Full Version : The ACC levy debate needs to be reopened - Me venting

Adulf
3rd February 2011, 16:04
So the 2011 election has been announced. I think the ACC issue needs to be revisited, from what I've seen on the ACC tread, bikers seam to have resigned them self to the fact that it's the end of the matter, and no more can be done. Lets face it, we all new that National was not going to push through the original figure, they just came up with that so that the likes of BRONZ felt like they made a difference.

With the election coming up, I think it's time to stir things up.

The reality is ACC levees should be shared out fairly amongst all users, particularly high users, like bicyclists. They have more accidents and deaths (12 in one week recently) then us motorcycles, and pay nothing yet claim millions. And now they are demanding infrastructure changes to give them more room on the road..., fine let them pay for it. I suggest registering the road user, not the vehicle, any bicyclist over the age of 18 that uses public roads, must pay his or her fare share of road user tax and ACC. Also this way if you have more then one motorbike or car etc, you are only paying for the one you are driving/ riding, not the one parked up.

This is just one of dozens of arguments against this ACC crap. :angry::angry::angry:

Mom
3rd February 2011, 16:24
So the 2011 election has been announced. I think the ACC issue needs to be revisited, from what I've seen on the ACC tread, bikers seam to have resigned them self to the fact that it's the end of the matter, and no more can be done. Lets face it, we all new that National was not going to push through the original figure, they just came up with that so that the likes of BRONZ felt like they made a difference.

With the election coming up, I think it's time to stir things up.

The reality is ACC levees should be shared out fairly amongst all users, particularly high users, like bicyclists. They have more accidents and deaths (12 in one week recently) then us motorcycles, and pay nothing yet claim millions. And now they are demanding infrastructure changes to give them more room on the road..., fine let them pay for it. I suggest registering the road user, not the vehicle, any bicyclist over the age of 18 that uses public roads, must pay his or her fare share of road user tax and ACC. Also this way if you have more then one motorbike or car etc, you are only paying for the one you are driving/ riding, not the one parked up.

This is just one of dozens of arguments against this ACC crap. :angry::angry::angry:

I thiink you will find that there are a fair few of us really NOT happy about the current situation, myself included. There are plans afoot to continue the battle with the govt regarding the inequity of these unfair levies.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/133698-Mom-on-Breakfast-TV1

riffer
3rd February 2011, 17:36
Likewise from the BRONZ perspective. We haven't rolled over mate.

There's still plenty of planning happening. The Minister himself has even indicated that the Government are considering the abolition of multiple ACC vehicle levies - I think we will eventually head that way, with your levy being based on the classes of licences you hold.

Pressure will continue to be brought to bear. Also in news today Labour announced Rimutaka MP Chris Hipkins will become shadow Minister for ACC. This is a good thing as Chris is very motorcycling-friendly, a neighbour of a number of BRONZ members and a good chap to boot.

The fight has by no means been lost. What we do need to do is show the Government that motorcyclists are willing, and able, to step up and demonstrate a greater understanding of their own problems, and deal with it.

If we can do that we hold all the cards. Their position will become indefensible. And politicians don't like being in that situation.

Hitcher
3rd February 2011, 18:25
It's a levy. A levee is something you drive your Chevy to.

steve_t
3rd February 2011, 18:45
How would you suggest levies are collected from cyclists? Should Little Timmy, who got a bicycle with training wheels for his 4th birthday, go to VTNZ for a rego sticker? Should it be added to the cost of purchasing the bike? What about second hand bikes or custom made bikes from parts? How much do they pay? What's the administration cost for such a system? The logistics are staggering. Perhaps there is another country to model off... err, perhaps not.

What if the levee is dry? Can we get some whiskey and rye? :drinkup:

Mom
3rd February 2011, 18:51
It's a levy. A levee is something you drive your Chevy to.

Or something that bursts, destroying a city of some note.

The day the music died...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tr-BYVeCv6U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seroom
19th March 2011, 22:41
I just had a thought. We have another Bikehoi in parliament grounds, only this time we all take our cars.

CookMySock
20th March 2011, 06:01
Should Little Timmy, who got a bicycle with training wheels for his 4th birthday, go to VTNZ for a rego sticker?Of course! Little Timmy is the only person they haven't unduly taxed yet. Fuck knows they have taxed every other cunt to the fucking eyeballs.

In the end everyone's going to just pay it. Unless you aint. And if you aint you are gunna get a fine, and then in the end you are just gunna pay the fine, unless you aint. In which case you are gunna hafta stand up to them in their pissy little court and tell them you do not consent to their intrusion. Or you aint.

I'm gunna tell them to get fucked. I've had enough. Fuck them.

mrchips
20th March 2011, 06:43
I just had a thought. We have another Bikehoi in parliament grounds, only this time we all take our cars.

Yeah, I'll bring my car with trailor & 2 motorbikes in tow, cos I get a bigger bang for my ACC buck if i crash the lot.

I expect first rate treatment for the ACC i'm paying, not layed up waiting for my op on a hospital stretcher for 4 hours cos some 'elleged' drunkard who 'elleged' crashed his 'elleged' stolen car.