PDA

View Full Version : AVG FREE... Needing technical advice.

Tink
7th February 2011, 15:46
In dec I uploaded AVG, it worked fine... now I want to remove it, as I have new protection. But its not letting me.

Any help appreciated.

steve_t
7th February 2011, 15:47
How is it not letting you? Are you uninstalling through Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs? Oh, which version of Windows?

Gibbo89
7th February 2011, 15:51
In dec I uploaded AVG, it worked fine... now I want to remove it, as I have new protection. But its not letting me.

Any help appreciated.

AVG should let you, it always did for me. Like steve said, in control panel, add/remove programs. If all else fails, you can download something called Ccleaner, it has an uninstall function for all programs that are on your comp.

Tink
7th February 2011, 16:42
How is it not letting you? Are you uninstalling through Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs? Oh, which version of Windows?

AVG should let you, it always did for me. Like steve said, in control panel, add/remove programs. If all else fails, you can download something called Ccleaner, it has an uninstall function for all programs that are on your comp.

Windows 7... and it keeps coming up with an error, and then crashes the laptop.

I go to control panel, add/remove programmes...and try to uninstall. Will try Ccleaner... BUT what is it exactly, not a fan of downloading stuff I don't know.

Thanks

Gibbo89
7th February 2011, 17:21
Windows 7... and it keeps coming up with an error, and then crashes the laptop.

I go to control panel, add/remove programmes...and try to uninstall. Will try Ccleaner... BUT what is it exactly, not a fan of downloading stuff I don't know.

Thanks

www.download.com have it, it's something that removes spyware etc, just one of those scanning things. But it has in the 'tools' option a uninstall bit where AVG should be shown, if not then you have probably semi got rid of it. Good luck

sugilite
7th February 2011, 17:39
Had that on a friends computer, I had to kill the avg auto update process before it would let me uninstall it.

SMOKEU
7th February 2011, 17:39
Once you've gotten rid of AVG, then download MSE. If you still can't uninstall AVG then just disable it through the startup configuration through msconfig.

Tink
7th February 2011, 17:54
www.download.com have it, it's something that removes spyware etc, just one of those scanning things. But it has in the 'tools' option a uninstall bit where AVG should be shown, if not then you have probably semi got rid of it. Good luck

I am a step by step person when it comes to computers... where is the tools option your talking of.

Had that on a friends computer, I had to kill the avg auto update process before it would let me uninstall it.

How did you kill it?

Once you've gotten rid of AVG, then download MSE. If you still can't uninstall AVG then just disable it through the startup configuration through msconfig.

Clues on how to do that appreciated... where is the startup.... etc

See guys not so up with this!:facepalm:

Gibbo89
7th February 2011, 18:00
I am a step by step person when it comes to computers... where is the tools option your talking of.

Once you download Ccleaner, you open the program and install it etc etc. Once you have opened the program itself, you will have options down the left hand side and it says 'tools' then once that opens up you can uninstall the avg anti virus

Ronin
7th February 2011, 18:37
Ccleaner won't work as all it does is run the uninstaller... which is crashing.

Go here (http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools) and download the removal tool. Run it, your machine will reboot at some stage and then AVG will be gone.

Grab MSE and install it.

steve_t
7th February 2011, 18:47

Go here (http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools) and download the removal tool. Run it, your machine will reboot at some stage and then AVG will be gone.

Grab MSE and install it.

^^ this! :yes:

Tink
7th February 2011, 20:08

Grab MSE and install it.

^^ this! :yes:

Fantastic it worked... but what is MSE. I have a new anti virus programme already?

steve_t
7th February 2011, 20:12
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

What are you using now?

Ronin
8th February 2011, 00:55
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

What are you using now?

^^ yeah, what he asked.

EJK
8th February 2011, 03:45
No Anti-virus is like having unprotected sex.

YellowDog
8th February 2011, 05:30
Fantastic it worked... but what is MSE. I have a new anti virus programme already?

MSE is great.

It has that new DCS technology

(DCS = Doesn't Catch Shit)

:rofl:

Ronin
8th February 2011, 07:59
MSE is great.

It has that new DCS technology

(DCS = Doesn't Catch Shit)

:rofl:

LOL well yes.

However no anti virus will stop everything. The current batch of fake anti virus programs will get past most paid let alone free anti virus.

SMOKEU
8th February 2011, 09:21
If you're that worried about malicious software then use Linux.

george formby
8th February 2011, 09:50

Did exactly that 2 weeks ago, no problems. Downloaded MSE & deleted AVG when prompted using Add/Remove programs.

AVG has hijacked my search engine, twatful piece of software.

Mental Trousers
8th February 2011, 10:01
LOL well yes.

However no anti virus will stop everything. The current batch of fake anti virus programs will get past most paid let alone free anti virus.

Got a nasty one a couple of weeks ago that got through everything. It was a java app that pretended to be a jpg in a web page. I didn't realize anything wierd was happening until the java start up thingy popped up and disappeared. Next thing I know there's this "helpful" antivirus scanner I've never seen before busily running a scan on my entire system. Needless to say I killed it as fast as I could, but it had protected itself so a reboot to safe mode was in order. I got rid of what I could find then rebooted back to normal. Except a couple of days later I find my machine has been attempting to download the internet so a much more thorough hunt and destroy mission was in order. Looks like that did the trick as there aren't anymore anomalous processes or net connections etc and it doesn't seem to have damaged anything cos the machines been running for a week without problems.

So even the professionals get caught once in a while :facepalm:

Btw, I would've just booted to safe mode and uninstalled. Much easier.

Ronin
8th February 2011, 10:03
Got a nasty one a couple of weeks ago that got through everything. It was a java app that pretended to be a jpg in a web page. I didn't realize anything wierd was happening until the java start up thingy popped up and disappeared. Next thing I know there's this "helpful" antivirus scanner I've never seen before busily running a scan on my entire system. Needless to say I killed it as fast as I could, but it had protected itself so a reboot to safe mode was in order. I got rid of what I could find then rebooted back to normal. Except a couple of days later I find my machine has been attempting to download the internet so a much more thorough hunt and destroy mission was in order.

Pst... combo fix is your friend. Not for amatures though.

Gremlin
8th February 2011, 13:37
The problem is most viruses vary in how they operate, and also how long it has been operational.

Certain things can't be hidden however, things like modifications to the hosts file. It's also extremely hard to walk someone through cleaning their machine, as you sorta have to "see" it in operation.

God I hate cleaning machines though, would be the worst part of being in IT. Especially when a few weeks later they say you didn't fix it. :shit::facepalm:

firefighter
8th February 2011, 13:43
Off topic a bit but not owrth a new thread; what the fuck is 'scansoft paperport11'?

I downloaded AVG as of recent and also the computer cleaning software (supposed to make it operate quicker and clean it up type deal), but now everytime on startup I get a dialogue box asking about 'scansoft paperport11', and to insert a disc to install it......I can cancel it and the computer works fine, but what is the story?

What is this scansoft shite it speaks of and is it important? If not how do I get it to fuckup?

Cheers

Gremlin
8th February 2011, 13:58
From memory that's something that comes with brother devices. Have you got a Brother printer?

Ronin
8th February 2011, 17:04
Especially when a few weeks later they say you didn't fix it. :shit::facepalm:

Weeks? My record is an hour. I asked what she had done. She had looked up a knitting pattern on google and clicked on the link. She was then hijacked. I tried it on my linux machine and sure enough, it tried.

steve_t
8th February 2011, 17:11
Weeks? My record is an hour. I asked what she had done. She had looked up a knitting pattern on google and clicked on the link. She was then hijacked. I tried it on my linux machine and sure enough, it tried.

I had one that rang me the next day:

"What were you doing?"
"I thought my computer was safe. I was trying to download some... err... 'stuff' from Limewire"
"Umm.... your computer is safer, but you still have to use your head when surfing or opening emails"
"Oh, really?...."
:facepalm:

I'm not even in IT :innocent:

Ronin
8th February 2011, 17:12
Off topic a bit but not owrth a new thread; what the fuck is 'scansoft paperport11'?

I downloaded AVG as of recent and also the computer cleaning software (supposed to make it operate quicker and clean it up type deal), but now everytime on startup I get a dialogue box asking about 'scansoft paperport11', and to insert a disc to install it......I can cancel it and the computer works fine, but what is the story?

What is this scansoft shite it speaks of and is it important? If not how do I get it to fuckup?

Cheers

You will not be able to uninstall the paperport as the installer is ferked. run msconfig and disable it from starting.

Ronin
8th February 2011, 17:15
I had one that rang me the next day:

"What were you doing?"
"I thought my computer was safe. I was trying to download some... err... 'stuff' from Limewire"
"Umm.... your computer is safer, but you still have to use your head when surfing or opening emails"
"Oh, really?...."
:facepalm:

I'm not even in IT :innocent:

I once put it in terms the customer could understand.

"What you have effectively done is catch the clap, gone to the doctor and got cured. Then gone back to the same shag without a condom."

He laughed.

Then I charged him again.

firefighter
8th February 2011, 17:18
You will not be able to uninstall the paperport as the installer is ferked. run msconfig and disable it from starting.

Ok thanks. Do I need it? What exactly is it for?

steve_t
8th February 2011, 17:40
"What you have effectively done is catch the clap, gone to the doctor and got cured. Then gone back to the same shag without a condom."

LOL! Brilliant analogy. I'm stealing it but here in Hamiltron it's Chlamydia :shutup::innocent:

Ronin
8th February 2011, 17:53
Ok thanks. Do I need it? What exactly is it for?

I have yet to have someone complain that it has gone missing lol.

Tink
8th February 2011, 18:47
I once put it in terms the customer could understand.

He laughed.

Then I charged him again.

Man if a IT guy/gal had told me that I would have laughed too!!

Ronin
8th February 2011, 18:50
Man if a IT guy/gal had told me that I would have laughed too!!

The secret to being an effective IT person is knowing how to communicate complicated IT knowledge to people without A: Confusing them or B: sounding condescending.

steve_t
8th February 2011, 19:01
The secret to being an effective IT person is knowing how to communicate complicated IT knowledge to people without A: Confusing them or B: sounding condescending.

Impossible!! :innocent:

jonbuoy
8th February 2011, 19:08
Got a nasty one a couple of weeks ago that got through everything. It was a java app that pretended to be a jpg in a web page. I didn't realize anything wierd was happening until the java start up thingy popped up and disappeared. Next thing I know there's this "helpful" antivirus scanner I've never seen before busily running a scan on my entire system. Needless to say I killed it as fast as I could, but it had protected itself so a reboot to safe mode was in order. I got rid of what I could find then rebooted back to normal. Except a couple of days later I find my machine has been attempting to download the internet so a much more thorough hunt and destroy mission was in order. Looks like that did the trick as there aren't anymore anomalous processes or net connections etc and it doesn't seem to have damaged anything cos the machines been running for a week without problems.

Out of curiosity MT - what protection programme/s were you running?

Mental Trousers
8th February 2011, 19:28
Out of curiosity MT - what protection programme/s were you running?

That machine was running Avira and Privoxy with the browser (Chrome) using the Adblock+ extension, pop-up blocking etc. Can't remember if there was anything else as well but that lot does the job even though it's nothing fantastic. You'd be surprised at how little protection you actually need IF the machine is configured correctly and the user has a bit of a clue.

Gremlin
8th February 2011, 20:01
I've run without anti-virus for months, no issues, Windows machine... its just knowing what you shouldn't be clicking on...

Tink
8th February 2011, 20:05
That machine was running Avira and Privoxy with the browser (Chrome) using the Adblock+ extension, pop-up blocking etc. Can't remember if there was anything else as well but that lot does the job even though it's nothing fantastic. You'd be surprised at how little protection you actually need IF the machine is configured correctly and the user has a bit of a clue.

I use chrome, and love it.... AVG is ok until you want to delete it... now back to not sounding condescending ... sometimes its impossible not to... so many of us out there are pretty stupid when it comes to the deep side of computers... hell I know what some things are, but give me techno lingo and I am lost.
:blink:

Ronin
8th February 2011, 20:49
I use chrome, and love it.... AVG is ok until you want to delete it... now back to not sounding condescending ... sometimes its impossible not to... so many of us out there are pretty stupid when it comes to the deep side of computers... hell I know what some things are, but give me techno lingo and I am lost.

Excuse me while I get on my high horse for a moment.

I have lost count of the amount of customers (mainly women) who's opening line to me is "I'm soooo stupid but". Now, I drive a car (sometimes) but I couldn't tell you ho a differential works. I know it does but as far as I'm concerned there is a magic axle fairy in there that sorts the shit out. Just because you don't know the inner workings of a computer or your eyes glass over at the mention of TCP/IP does not make you stupid. Any IT worker who thinks it does needs to be made to give birth, make a real cheese sauce and look after 3 kids... all at the same time. Then see who is the stupid one.

If you can do what you need to on your computer then you do just fine.

Ronin
8th February 2011, 20:50
I've run without anti-virus for months, no issues, Windows machine... its just knowing what you shouldn't be clicking on...

Customer to me: How do I not get any virus's at all
Me: Don't connect it to the net

Different customer: Why did our machine get infected
Me: You have males in your house right?

steve_t
8th February 2011, 20:53
Diffs are a pretty fricken cool things!! :yes: :innocent:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F40ZBDAG8-o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sugilite
8th February 2011, 21:21
Funny, I was called to fix a laptop with a very similer setup, avira etc, with same sounding virus...up popped java icon etc..., it appeared to have disabled avira as it came in. Suprisingly it let me roll it back to a restore point a few days prior and it's not been back yet....

Mental Trousers
8th February 2011, 21:43
I know it did things like disable the debug console, took over proxy ports so you couldn't get to antivirus sites, MS etc and a bunch of other things to protect itself. I vaguely remember seeing something to do with a bunch of different antiviruses too so it probably disabled quite a few some how.

awayatc
8th February 2011, 21:44
No Anti-virus is like having unprotected sex.

interesting way to use a computer............ :innocent:

jonbuoy
8th February 2011, 23:11

IMHO Thats the reason Macs are so popular, if you have no real interest in tweaking and just want something that works out of the box Macīs are the way to go. Its quite hard to break one. Iīm not a MAC fanboy by any means and I wouldnīt personally use one but I see why they have gotten so popular.

Tink
9th February 2011, 06:06
IMHO Thats the reason Macs are so popular, if you have no real interest in tweaking and just want something that works out of the box Macīs are the way to go. Its quite hard to break one. Iīm not a MAC fanboy by any means and I wouldnīt personally use one but I see why they have gotten so popular.

mmmmm Macs... I don't like them, we used them at school, and they were forever breaking down, or having issues. lol

Windows 7 works fine for me... and nah not stupid, I actually created a cool website for a shop once, but forgotten all that now. I guess as a computer gal goes I do alright.:innocent: